• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any current DD5 owners??

bigjake83

Golden Shellback
Minuteman
  • May 19, 2013
    Southern Idaho
    Have a few questions for current DD5 owners.

What's the Firing Pin diameter on the DD5 V3/V4/V5???

Also any slop between the Upper and Lower?

Could you post a pick of the Feed Ramps/Chamber area?

Also if you've removed your barrel how did it fit?

I called DD today and the tech guy was basically useless, and the last DD5 I worked on I honestly didn't think to take any notes.

Last edited:
    Reactions: FF05
    So, I bought a DD5V1 used. Rifle would not function…. Long story. Sent to Daniel Defense… rifle is working really good. If your rifle does not deliver, send it in for warranty work!

I’ve had two. A Dd5v4 in 6.5cm and a DD5v3 in .308. Excellent fully ambidextrous rifles. I sold them both because I play with lots of stuff and then sell it all. I can only answer a couple questions from memory.

Upper and lower were tight with no play. Much better than my Seekins Sp10 upper and lowers which have some play. The barrel was sloppy loose in the receiver. Not tight at all. I removed the 6.5 barrel just to see how it mated up.

Last edited:
    Firing Pin diameter
    20220824_200600.jpg

Zero slop between upper/lower, and take down pins are tight.

Feed Ramp
    20220824_200253.jpg

20220824_200355.jpg

Barrel is sandwiched between the upper and handguard, held in by the 4 handguard bolts.
    20220616_120106.jpg

20220824_200332.jpg

I sold a long-time owned SCAR-17 and bought a DD5, 16” 308 a couple months ago. It shoots way smoother than my SCAR did with a tuned gas system.

The ejection is perfect on both the suppressed (with can) and Unsuppressed settings. Without the can, in the suppressed setting, it will not eject the spent casing.

Accuracy was about an inch with some old half assed handloads I had lying around. I think it will tighten up as the barrel breaks in. Attached are pics of one 5 round ground that was alright and one 20 round group (wasn’t really trying hard, this was shot fairly quickly), at 100y. That last round flyer gets me every time.

Zero play in the receivers on mine. The fit and finish is pretty nice. Incidentally, the rifle feels lighter to me than my SCAR did, but I think it’s more because the weight distribution is closer to the shooter. I’m happy with it so far.

Proof makes barrels for these now, btw…

Attachments

• 115D5985-C0E0-41BA-B6A9-D2B86E415478.jpeg
      115D5985-C0E0-41BA-B6A9-D2B86E415478.jpeg
      457.6 KB · Views: 92
    • 46D7BDC1-C47B-4705-993B-5A62583D88F6.jpeg
      46D7BDC1-C47B-4705-993B-5A62583D88F6.jpeg
      451.8 KB · Views: 88
    Thank you sir, That's exactly what I was looking for.

Could you post a pic of the inside of the upper receiver where the barrel extension slides into.
    Sorry, I don't have a pic of the front of the upper. I took that pic of it broken down a couple of months ago when I fitted that 20" 6.5CM barrel.

Accuracy from the DD 16" .308 barrel was 1/2-3/4MOA with various factory ammo.

Last edited:
    Reactions: blbennett1288
    Sorry, I don't have a pic of the front of the upper. I took that pic of it broken down a couple of months ago when I spun up that 20" 6.5CM barrel.
    View attachment 7940966

Accuracy from the DD 16" .308 barrel was 1/2-3/4MOA with various factory ammo.
    Did you go with a rifle gas on the 20” 6.5cm? It looks like it. You probably won’t be happy with that if you did.

Yes, rifle length gas. I couldn't get a longer length gas tube here in Aus.
    Roughly 100ish rounds of Hornady 140AG through it so far, no cycling issues and shooting MOA.

Yes, rifle length gas. I couldn't get a longer length gas tube here in Aus.
    Roughly 100ish rounds of Hornady 140AG through it so far, no cycling issues and shooting MOA.
    What blank did you use for the 6.5CM and how the hell did you get one in Australia?

I used a Lothar Walther parallel blank, profiled the same as the DD.

Brought it in on an Import permit, I have plenty of gass guns.

I've decided to drop the barrel back to 18". Whilst it shot fine at 20" the brass was pretty beat up.

Since the barrel is out, here's the front of the upper.
    20220825_084748.jpg

20220825_084752.jpg

Whist it's not a heat/press fit, there is no barrel wiggle with the barrel sitting in the upper freely.

Last edited:
    I used a Lothar Walther parallel blank and profiled it the same as the DD.

Brought it in on an Import permit, I have plenty of gass guns.

I've decided to drop the barrel back to 18" (give me an hour). Whilst it shot fine at 20" the brass was pretty beat up.

Since the barrel is out, here's the front of the upper.
    View attachment 7941026
    View attachment 7941027

Whist it's not a heat/press fit, there is no barrel wiggle with the barrel sitting in the upper freely.
    Thanks for the pics, I can't tell from the pics are those steel inserts threads in the upper or just directly tapped and threaded into the aluminum upper??

What are your torquing those bolt down to?

What part of AU are you in? I have a Ranch outside of Bris.

Looking at these pics makes me wish DD sold upper/HG combo kits. I like the design, just don't care for anything else about DD stuff.

Looking at these pics makes me wish DD sold upper/HG combo kits. I like the design, just don't care for anything else about DD stuff.
    Well the accuracy, reliability and fitment all seem to all be above average. The OEM Trigger is absolute shit but I've got stacks of Trigger Techs and Geissele Triggers in the spare parts drawer.

I got the one today for $1800.00 witch seems to be about $800 cheaper than most I found in stock. That's why I decided to pick up both of the Proof Barrels now, and of course I'll do a range report on all of this.. along with the 18" 6.5 CM Bartlein OBR and 22" 6.5CM Bartlein SP10.

September is going to be a pretty busy month.

Well the accuracy, reliability and fitment all seem to all be above average. The OEM Trigger is absolute shit but I've got stacks of Trigger Techs and Geissele Triggers in the spare parts drawer.

I got the one today for $1800.00 witch seems to be about $800 cheaper than most I found in stock. That's why I decided to pick up both of the Proof Barrels now, and of course I'll do a range report on all of this.. along with the 18" 6.5 CM Bartlein OBR and 22" 6.5CM Bartlein SP10.

I know you know but make sure to flip the two position gas block back and forth after every outing. It is adjusted with a teeny tiny allen wrench. Why they didn’t use a larger diameter allen head I don’t know. The good thing is the side of the gasblock is open to unfuck it if it does seize.

I know you know but make sure to flip the two position gas block back and forth after every outing. It is adjusted with a teeny tiny allen wrench. Why they didn’t use a larger diameter allen head I don’t know. The good thing is the side of the gasblock is open to unfuck it if it does seize.
    Yeah I read about them getting carbon locked. I plan on replacing the OEM AGB with a SA AGB. From what I've read the OEM works really well with a Can but I like to fine tune my gas.

The changes I'll be make immediately to the DD5 is SA AGB, Trigger Tech Diamond Trigger, and a MagPul PRS Lite adjustable stock.

Yeah I read about them getting carbon locked. I plan on replacing the OEM AGB with a SA AGB. From what I've read the OEM works really well with a Can but I like to fine tune my gas.

The changes I'll be make immediately to the DD5 is SA AGB, Trigger Tech Diamond Trigger, and a MagPul PRS Lite adjustable stock.
    The DD comes with an armalite length buffertube, rifle length spring, and a H2 buffer. The carrier is weighted as well which is another way of doing things I suppose. Something I like is the captured pin DD uses instead of a cotterpin. Its a plus for sure. Looking forward to your DD review and the Seekins review that you have promised for a year now or better that never comes.;)

Looking forward to your DD review and the Seekins review that you have promised for a year now or better that never comes.;)

Well it's taken every bit of that year to get them made...🙄 Bartlein blanks were nonexistent for a good 6 months.

I actually got the call from CLE that my barrels are ready to be shipped out.... But! Last Friday their facility was struck by lightning in a storm and fried their computers so the shipping is delayed as of now... FML!!!

Can’t wait for your review @bigjake83. I’m still waiting for my sp10, but can’t complain since I a pretty killer deal on it.
    The Seekins SP10's are pretty remarkable rifles, you're better off waiting for a new updated version of the SP10. I originally had the one with the rifle length gas system in 6.5 Creedmoor and it was severely over gassed and just destroyed brass no matter what modifications I made. Bottom line 22" 6.5CM barrels need to have the +2 gas system no matter what platform their in.

Thanks for the pics, I can't tell from the pics are those steel inserts threads in the upper or just directly tapped and threaded into the aluminum upper??

They look to be Helicoils, no idea on the correct torque spec.

I'm in Queensland.

She's now an 18"
    20220825_152956.jpg

Last edited:
    Firing Pin diameter
    View attachment 7940613

Zero slop between upper/lower, and take down pins are tight.

Feed Ramp
    View attachment 7940614
    View attachment 7940615

Barrel is sandwiched between the upper and handguard, held in by the 4 handguard bolts.
    View attachment 7940618
    View attachment 7940621
    is that an slr on the longer barrel?

i want to get a dd5, but no one can confirm if a slr will fit and function. im concerned because most ar10 type rifles are mostly proprietary and nothing after market works.

i want to get a dd5, but no one can confirm if a slr will fit and function. im concerned because most ar10 type rifles are mostly proprietary and nothing after market works.
    The daniel defense gasblock works exceptionally well. There is no damage to brass with either 6.5 or the .308 and suppressed or unsuppressed. Ejection is where it should be. I don’t own a suppressor but used my buddies.

Any standard .750 GB will fit.

Awesome brother!!

First things first throw away that trigger and get yourself a trigger tech or Geissele NM.. as far as the other issues sequence has those worked out now.
    The Timney triggers have been a big miss for me. One was as crisp and wonderful as you could imagine but every 8-10 rounds it would fail to reset without me pushing the trigger forward with my finger. Another I had had quite a bit of creep. Sent it in and it came back with less creep. Gave up on them after that for a precision rifle. They would make a fast carbine trigger though as long as they reset.

The Timney triggers have been a big miss for me. One was as crisp and wonderful as you could imagine but every 8-10 rounds it would fail to reset without me pushing the trigger forward with my finger. Another I had had quite a bit of creep. Sent it in and it came back with less creep. Gave up on them after that for a precision rifle. They would make a fast carbine trigger though as long as they reset.

Same for me.. when doing a slow controlled pull you can definitely feel the creep... I'd even take the LaRue MBT over that Timney.

Awesome brother!!

First things first throw away that trigger and get yourself a trigger tech or Geissele NM.. as far as the other issues sequence has those worked out now.
    Yep while not a NM I got a SSA-E and a raptor CH waiting.

Reactions: bigjake83

How were your results with the DD5?

How were your results with the DD5?
    Honestly really didn't get a chance to do a review on them, decided to focus on the JP, Seekins and LaRue projects I have at hand right now. Overall it seemed well built but 100% proprietary and for the same price you can pick up a SP10 so for what I enjoy doing it didn't make sense to keep it.

I'm hoping to be finishing a matching pair JP LRI-20 6.5CM and SCI-20 .223 by the end of this month. I've been working with CLE on a few different barrel designs and treatment methods that I'm going to integrate into a new tOBR project.

Reactions: Jsp556

DD Tech said the 4 Screws are Torqued to 100 in./lb.