• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any mountain bikers out there 2.0

This is my Santa Cruz VP-Free with BBSHD. Easy to build yourself.

Stop tearing up my trails hondo!!! 😂
I promise they’re still intact!

Theres a series of huge wood jumps near Central and Avenue J area. It was dusk when I drove by so I didn’t see the signage. Looked like some serious shit!

Theres a series of huge wood jumps near Central and Avenue J area. It was dusk when I drove by so I didn’t see the signage. Looked like some serious shit!

Yeah, they had Bikefest there last year and built those along with a bunch of other stuff for exhibitions and best trick contests, etc.

Those are for people doing backflips, etc. I hit one last year just to see if I could clear it and decided I’m too old to break a hip, haha.

Sucks when you get the phone call from the bike shop after dropping off a wheel that you broke a couple spokes on and they tell you the carbon wheel is cracked on the inside under the rim tape ....I do have to say these DT XMC wheels have been through a bunch of hell. I can't decide which carbon wheel to get as the supply chain is still fubar. Might end up with a Santa Cruz Reserve on there.

• Wow
Reactions: Shooter McGavin

Gotta run over and hit the Railyard in Rogers next time your out there. The skills park that is at the bottom of slaughter pen has some fun jumps to.

Reactions: Sandhog308
duthie hill park east of seattle is a fun spot. the days of blasting huge airs to the most part are behind me tho. and tricks are for kids.

anybody have a good flow trail recommendation for idaho and or montana? both on the list to hit here early summer.

Sucks when you get the phone call from the bike shop after dropping off a wheel that you broke a couple spokes on and they tell you the carbon wheel is cracked on the inside under the rim tape ....I do have to say these DT XMC wheels have been through a bunch of hell. I can't decide which carbon wheel to get as the supply chain is still fubar. Might end up with a Santa Cruz Reserve on there.
Agreed, I have been through a lot of carbon wheels (all 29" on XC bikes both FS and HT geared and single speed): I9 Pillar carbon (both the regular and ultralight versions), DT XMC like yours, ENVE M525 with I9 Hydra hubs, Berd with I9 Hydra, SC Reserve (the XC wheels that came on my latest generation Blur, I think they are called Reserve 29), and Next wheels.

I love the I9 wheels, they are SUPER tough and ride great.

The XMC wheels were fine, as were the Reserves.

I found the Berds are very light but the spokes feel like they created excessive drag, especially the pair I had on my gravel bike.

The 2 pair of ENVE M525 I had were great, except one set cracked at about every spoke hole. ENVE took care of it no questions asked which is great but concerned me.

My favorite wheel set and what is on my 2022 Blur and Lauf Anywhere are Next wheels with DT240s. These wheels are bomber and very light. They ride great. I kinda miss the engagement of the Hydra, but it's really not a big deal on the Blur. If it was a single speed then I would absolutely be on Hydra hubs!

Here are the two wheels I'm taking about, the build quality is excellent and the listed weights are within a few grams

Damn, that's sexxxy.
20210828_184731.jpg

Thanks, I do love this bike.

This doesn't sound like much to most but for me its a lot - I put almost 600 miles on my Extreme Cross since I bought it.
The best ride I've had was last fall just before it snowed, it was a local mountain trail that I hadn't fully explored yet.
Man I was flying, well for a 61 year old that isn't....., UP, DOWN, OVER, and THROUGH with the right amount of difficultly and flow for my skill level! Anyway I should have wrecked 2-3 times but this beast just plows through obstacles like crazy.
The fun thing is I can accelerate uphill fast if I want so the joy isn't just in the downhill like on a MTB. Of course excluding you animals that enjoy uphill! I envy you but heck I didn't like em when I was young.

Last year I was attempting to try to find some bike park that allows EMTB but haven't had any luck so if anyone knows of a place not too horribly far from Arizona please let me know.
What I really wish for is a place with "table top" jumps because I'm too old to learn on moto jumps. Also flow trails.

I’m 64 and still going kinda strong. 2021 Trek Fuel 9.8, I got $7,000 in it.

Attachments

• CD9F1A64-1DFC-48B9-AAFF-F2A20F60616E.jpeg
    CD9F1A64-1DFC-48B9-AAFF-F2A20F60616E.jpeg
    992.4 KB · Views: 63
greed, I have been through a lot of carbon wheels (all 29" on XC bikes both FS and HT geared and single speed): I9 Pillar carbon (both the regular and ultralight versions), DT XMC like yours, ENVE M525 with I9 Hydra hubs, Berd with I9 Hydra, SC Reserve (the XC wheels that came on my latest generation Blur, I think they are called Reserve 29), and Next wheels.

I love the I9 wheels, they are SUPER tough and ride great.

The XMC wheels were fine, as were the Reserves.

I found the Berds are very light but the spokes feel like they created excessive drag, especially the pair I had on my gravel bike.

The 2 pair of ENVE M525 I had were great, except one set cracked at about every spoke hole. ENVE took care of it no questions asked which is great but concerned me.

My favorite wheel set and what is on my 2022 Blur and Lauf Anywhere are Next wheels with DT240s. These wheels are bomber and very light. They ride great. I kinda miss the engagement of the Hydra, but it's really not a big deal on the Blur. If it was a single speed then I would absolutely be on Hydra hubs!

Here are the two wheels I'm taking about, the build quality is excellent and the listed weights are within a few grams
Those look promising. Next time I need some I may go that route. Price is not bad at all either. All my hubs are DT240 with 36t ratchets there is to much pedal kick back with the 54. The heathens bikes have 350 hubs. It's nice to be able to have a set of spares that work on all the wheels. I really like the I9 gear, I've been on bikes with hydra and liked it. Just wound up with the DT again. I'm getting a Reserve rim put on that wheel, they had one in stock and ready to lace it up. I really wanted another DT rim, but it appears they are unobtanium.

Reactions: jbell
On the class 1 EMTB the laws at the state and federal levels need to be adjusted to accept them. They are in this weird spot. Our local trail club has run into this. They can't let EMTB on the trails as our insurance and funding is based on human power only. The way Texas law is written the EMTB is considered a motorcycle. They need to adjust the laws for the class 1 bikes. Then access may be more obtainable. I know some people cry about the EMTB on the trails, but I know plenty of guys that could still smoke the average rider on a EMTB when they are on there non EMTB.
View attachment 7846044
Thanks, I do love this bike.

This doesn't sound like much to most but for me its a lot - I put almost 600 miles on my Extreme Cross since I bought it.
The best ride I've had was last fall just before it snowed, it was a local mountain trail that I hadn't fully explored yet.
Man I was flying, well for a 61 year old that isn't....., UP, DOWN, OVER, and THROUGH with the right amount of difficultly and flow for my skill level! Anyway I should have wrecked 2-3 times but this beast just plows through obstacles like crazy.
The fun thing is I can accelerate uphill fast if I want so the joy isn't just in the downhill like on a MTB. Of course excluding you animals that enjoy uphill! I envy you but heck I didn't like em when I was young.

Last year I was attempting to try to find some bike park that allows EMTB but haven't had any luck so if anyone knows of a place not too horribly far from Arizona please let me know.
What I really wish for is a place with "table top" jumps because I'm too old to learn on moto jumps. Also flow trails.

On the class 1 EMTB the laws at the state and federal levels need to be adjusted to accept them. They are in this weird spot. Our local trail club has run into this. They can't let EMTB on the trails as our insurance and funding is based on human power only. The way Texas law is written the EMTB is considered a motorcycle. They need to adjust the laws for the class 1 bikes. Then access may be more obtainable. I know some people cry about the EMTB on the trails, but I know plenty of guys that could still smoke the average rider on a EMTB when they are on there non EMTB.

I agree, its total BS to me, just like pretty much everything when a gov is involved. I don't have any friends that ride MTB or EMTB so I just go have at it ignoring what nonsense I choose to.

I have decided to build my son a light weight bike. He currently rides a Trek Marlin 5 which weighs 34.1 lbs. I plan on using take off parts from the Motobecane bike as I upgrade, so it will take time. Here’s the frame I found him:

I have decided to build my son a light weight bike. He currently rides a Trek Marlin 5 which weighs 34.1 lbs. I plan on using take off parts from the Motobecane bike as I upgrade, so it will take time. Here’s the frame I found him:

That is pretty damn light, looks to be made of quality carbon (Toray is good) but that really depends on the methods they use to lay it up. I built my daughter a China carbon HT based on the new style SC Highball frame. It was not bad at all & IMO worth the money. It just used a funky bearing size for the headset. Keep us posted on the build. Have your son help you, it will be fun!

I’d like to find lighter bikes for my boys but they wipe out enough that I am a little worried about carbon.

I stayed with aluminum for me too just in case. My bike weighs in at 32lbs. The carbon version was about 4lbs lighter at a mere $4k more 😳

duthie hill park east of seattle is a fun spot. the days of blasting huge airs to the most part are behind me tho. and tricks are for kids.

anybody have a good flow trail recommendation for idaho and or montana? both on the list to hit here early summer.
Red Warrior. Haley to Ketchum

Reactions: Ndbowhunter
That is pretty damn light, looks to be made of quality carbon (Toray is good) but that really depends on the methods they use to lay it up. I built my daughter a China carbon HT based on the new style SC Highball frame. It was not bad at all & IMO worth the money. It just used a funky bearing size for the headset. Keep us posted on the build. Have your son help you, it will be fun!

We shall see if it's any good as I can compare it up against my Pivot bike. If it is good I will order another one for my wife as her Motobecane (30 + lbs) I got her years ago is so heavy she never really got into riding and only comes out with us a few times every year. She hates biking and I believe if she would have allowed me to purchase a better bike for her she would have liked it.
I am pretty stoked and can't wait to get started on the build.

Last edited:
Just got back from Sedona. Found this after my last ride of the trip. View attachment 7847977
I killed a SC Bronson frame there a couple years back in the same place. Wound up coming through a section pre running for a race much faster the second trip swung the back end out and skipped through the rocks. Crazy how you hit there and did not kill the chainring.

Cool to see all the rad bikes!

Funny, I got more bikes that guns.

Started in the 90's here in NorCal with all the big names; KB/Fisher/Ritchey/Cunningham/et al from Cali.

Had all sorts of steel, aluminum and titanium frame MTB from everyone; coast to coast, KB to Fat Chance.

Squishy bikes, had my fair share; Turner, Ventana, Moots, Evil, Cannondale, S-Works, Project 1 etc.

26, 27.5, 29...blah blah blah blah.

Nowandays, KISS, slacked out 29er hardtail in steel (Canfield), aluminum (Canfield) and titanium (Quiring custom and Chromag).

And a Guerilla Gravity Trail Pistol for those lazy days.

Don't care too much about technology in the cyclometer, powermeter etc. Just want to ride to feel the burn and just to get out!

D1FEB528-0AB1-46C7-94ED-BFFB24FCDAAA.jpeg
I feel so outdated by all the sweet rigs in this thread. Of course my mountain biking has become just biking since moving from the hills of SoCal the the flat prairie….but my 2003 5 Spot still gets from point A to point B probably just not as fast as the Niners…😂

View attachment 7848269I feel so outdated by all the sweet rigs in this thread. Of course my mountain biking has become just biking since moving from the hills of SoCal the the flat prairie….but my 2003 5 Spot still gets from point A to point B probably just not as fast as the Niners…😂
My son has a Niner and I kick his ass going up hills. 26" is still good

View attachment 7848269I feel so outdated by all the sweet rigs in this thread. Of course my mountain biking has become just biking since moving from the hills of SoCal the the flat prairie….but my 2003 5 Spot still gets from point A to point B probably just not as fast as the Niners…😂
Very cool, I had a 5 spot many years ago. It was a great bike!

Reactions: Thorny and RETE8
Apparently we’ve been having a lot of injuries around here and the city has commissioned some people to help investigate.

Prevailing theory is that a number of novice riders are buying/renting ebikes thinking it will be easier on the trails. They also can run the trails faster and get into trouble quicker they can’t bail out of. Just thought that was interesting.

Apparently we’ve been having a lot of injuries around here and the city has commissioned some people to help investigate.

Prevailing theory is that a number of novice riders are buying/renting ebikes thinking it will be easier on the trails. They also can run the trails faster and get into trouble quicker they can’t bail out of. Just thought that was interesting.

I think part of that could be using Ebikes with crappy forks and shocks lacking much suspension travel.
Just as much tires that aren't a good choice for aggressive riding on trails.
This was my experience with my old Bakcou Storm, along with being a novice rider.

With my old EMTB/The Storm, I have to be very careful on slippery surfaces, technical stuff at speed, etc, learned the hard way, LOL. It held me back because I kept on wrecking.
The new EMTB, sticks, stays, and recovers WAAAAY BETTER. Actually having rode beyond my ability level a few times with my new EMTB I haven't wrecked bad yet, NOT so with the old one.

Add brakes on that as well. Heavier bikes at faster speeds is an easy recipe for disaster if you aren’t braking properly ahead of time.

Personally I can get into plenty of trouble on my non-emtb. Had a wipeout earlier this year doing about 25mph on a hard pack berm. Bruised a rib and got scraped up pretty good. Took a few weeks before I could lift anything more than 10lbs with one shoulder.

• Wow
Well I can't leave well enough alone. New parts ordered already and I have even set it up a taken it for a ride.

New parts to come:

RockShox SID SL (already have)
Sram XX1 crank set (ordered)
Sram XG-1295 cassette (ordered)
PNW Loam dropper post and shifter (ordered)
Built buy Jerry Grit wheels (will order in the future)

This inexpensive internet mtb just got expensive :ROFLMAO:

At least all the take off parts are going onto a new bike and they still be new parts.

Reactions: missed and Rerun7
Well I can't leave well enough alone. New parts ordered already and I have even set it up a taken it for a ride.

New parts to come:

RockShox SID SL (already have)
Sram XX1 crank set (ordered)
Sram XG-1295 cassette (ordered)
PNW Loam dropper post and shifter (ordered)
Built buy Jerry Grit wheels (will order in the future)

This inexpensive internet mtb just got expensive :ROFLMAO:

At least all the take off parts are going onto a new bike and they still be new parts.

Dude that is going to cut like 1-1.5 pounds! Should be sweet!!

Dude that is going to cut like 1-1.5 pounds! Should be sweet!!
The dropper seat post negates all the weight savings from the cranks and cassette. I put the SID SL on and it weighs 21.15 lbs. Shaved off just under 1 lb. Not sure about Built by Jerry wheels and if that could get me under 20 lbs. I am going to wait until next month to order those as my CC needs to recover from this impulse buy.

Edit to add:

The wheels have tubes in them now. I will be switch them over to tubeless and that should shave a little more weight.

IMG_1769.jpg

Used to ride the Mountain bikes for quite a few years but got older and went to the road bikes. Ride this sucker 30 miles every other day in warm season and chuck it up in a trainer in the living room during the cold weather. Great for the cardio but doesn't do much for the belly fat.
Store & Cannondale Bike 029.JPG

Had a very cool experience this past weekend.

The GMBN crew was in town and got to do a group ride with them. Blake, Neil, Martin and Rich were all there and were a great group of guys.

I won’t post a lot of pics since my whole family is in them but here’s Neil shredding it for the camera. These guys were on another level and very fun to hang with.

FE5C4278-36A5-4540-B329-DD300B8F356B.jpeg

Had a very cool experience this past weekend.

The GMBN crew was in town and got to do a group ride with them. Blake, Neil, Martin and Rich were all there and were a great group of guys.

I won’t post a lot of pics since my whole family is in them but here’s Neil shredding it for the camera. These guys were on another level and very fun to hang with.

View attachment 7852280
Nice!!! I am dying as I have two bikes apart and I am waiting on parts to finish the new build and looking for parts I missed place that should have been in the parts bin. I should have everything but, the new wheels this Saturday. That means I will have gone two weeks with out riding.

Reactions: missed
I killed a SC Bronson frame there a couple years back in the same place. Wound up coming through a section pre running for a race much faster the second trip swung the back end out and skipped through the rocks. Crazy how you hit there and did not kill the chainring.

I think I was screaming down a jeep road and caught a rock that I thought I steered around. New frame is here, fortunately they were cool about the warranty.

If you guys like ti frames, you'll love our tandem

20201222_223707.jpg