• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Any Musky fishermen on the forum...?

AMM0

Private
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2011
WISCONSIN
www.facebook.com
Any of you guys do any musky fishing?? I took the reels off my rods this weekend and packed away all my gear.
frown.gif
Got the line stripped and the reels cleaned up and oiled. Blah. I'm not ready to survive this winter. I'm not much an ice fishermen, but I promised a buddy of mine I'd give it a go at least once this season.

This is the last fish I caught this season. Got her the first weekend in October up in Vilas County. Lake X.
grin.gif
She went a hair over 47.5".

fbb8b374.jpg

...and released to fight another day! She swam away nice 'n strong!

20a2a839.jpg

Re: Any Musky fishermen on the forum...?

That's a nice one, friend of mine just caught a 52" one at Cave Run Lake "The Musky Capital of the South". I don't get in to doing figure 8's at the boat, Large and Small Mouth Bass are my choice. I love to catch Walleye to fry!

Ahhhhhh.... the infamous Cave Run. I'd love to fish it someday! 52" incher ain't nuthin' to sneeze at either. That's a nice fish!

I'm already putting together my spring Smallie tactics. Nuthin' like lunker Smallmouth in the Spring! *w00t!*

I was doing some fishing this summer and caught a baby tiger musky (4 inches long) in a seine. Beautiful creatures! I wish I was fortunate enough to catch some like you guys though. Awesome catch AMMO!

The hot Musky bite is on right now here in WV. It started about a week or so ago. And will last until a severe weather pattern breaks it up. They really like to pack it on in the fall for that long winter. Fall bite is the best bite of the year. Tom.

In all honesty, a Musky is pretty much the only species of fish residing in WI that I have NOT caught!

The closest I've gotten was a 49" Northern!

I'm like Jesus in the winter...

I walk on water!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slowkota</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In all honesty, a Musky is pretty much the only species of fish residing in WI that I have NOT caught!

The closest I've gotten was a 49" Northern!

I'm like Jesus in the winter...

I walk on water! </div></div>

Damn!! 49" Northern ain't nuthin' to sneeze at either! That's a big Pike!!

I lucked into a Tiger muskie a few years ago, I was just up to the lake testing out a new rod, and this bad boy jumped on it! Not sure how long he was, but with his tail even with my extended toes, he was dangerously close to my cod piece.

DSCF4974.jpg

Niagara river for me... what an experience caught a 48" and had to let it go.
Got the photos though

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AMM0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn!! 49" Northern ain't nuthin' to sneeze at either! That's a big Pike!! </div></div>

Yeah, I foul hooked her on top of her snout when she hit on a popper I was workin for smallies... I couldn't in good faith keep her, so back she went!

Theres a lil stretch of the Eau Claire river that I know of, that has Muskies swarming around... One over-hanging tree in particular! But I never target them, I'm a walleye and panfish guy... with the ocassional bass outings on the slow days! lol

Is Musky a good eatin fish or just a better catching fish? Down here in Alabama we don't have them. The few months I lived up north I never got a chance to do any fishing. My dad and a friend done some fishing for musky and Pike but never brought any home.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gabriel.338lapua</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OMG!It has "Back Straps"!!!! </div></div>

LOL!!!
grin.gif

I guess if it you put it in those terms, technically, they do. hahaha.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KHOOKS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is Musky a good eatin fish or just a better catching fish? Down here in Alabama we don't have them. The few months I lived up north I never got a chance to do any fishing. My dad and a friend done some fishing for musky and Pike but never brought any home. </div></div>

The Muskellunge a.k.a. "Musky" is actually a part of the Northern Pike family genus. So, if you wanted to eat it and/or filet it... the same Y-bones you'd find on a Northern Pike would be just like they are on a Musky. Same body structure, muscle, filet, etc, etc.

I'd never eat a musky as I strictly fish for them as a trophy fish as most others do. But I know some people who do eat them if/when they are caught.

I've never tasted it but, I heard Northern Pike is actually pretty damn tasty, just a hassle with filleting and de-boning.

So perhaps muskies are the same... But most Musky fisherman are in it for sport. Even if they catch a trophy, its usually C.P.R. get some measurements, and maybe get a replica mount!

Up north here, they're kinda sacred... Like cows in India lol