• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any one interested in a usmc M-70 Sniper Rifle

kraigWY

CMP GSM MI
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2006
Wyoming
Go to the CMP forum auction sight . They posted a picture of the one from Peter Senich's sniping book, saying they will list Monday.

I'd post the picture and the link but my computer crashed and I'm having to use my iPod.

I can't bid on it, being army my other guns would bite me. Besides I already have 2, one in '06 and one in 308.

I would do shameful, unforgivable things to raise the money that that gun will probably go for.

Auction site is where it'll be and it won't be listed on there until Monday.

And in Day 1 it's out of my price range. Curious to see where this old girl is gonna be at when the auction's done with.

Well if nothing else, the CMP listing of that rifle has a link to an excellent NRA article on the history of the Model 70s in the military. Worth reading.

The CMP auctions tend to end at prices above what a lot of the items are actually worth. The funds do go towards promoting the shooting sports and I certainly don`t begrudge the methods the CMP uses to raise capitol nor the prices that are willingly paid by the auction bidders.

Still, I have to say that it already seems to be at a pretty high price for what I would consider a base special services rifle in fairly rough condition.

You and I understand the history aspect , will any written history come with the rifle from CMP ? To me the history is all it has going for it as nice transition and pre war mod 70's are out there, the old codgers are passing on and these new young folks seem to want the black, tactacool guns. very best

will any written history come with the rifle from CMP ?

That`s a very good question, I`ve sent a question to the CMP auction staff asking what kind of documentation will be provided with the rifle to the auction winner.

I`ll post the CMP reply when received.

Last edited:
That`s a very good question, I`ve sent a question to the CMP auction staff asking what kind of documentation will be provided with the rifle to the auction winner.

I`ll post the CMP reply when received.

And the reply from the CMP Auction forum webmaster: "Just like all of the other rifles we sell, they come with a certificate of authenticity.

All rifles we receive are prior military ownership."

Here is a link to the CMP forum where the question was placed Any body interested in a USMC Mod 70? - CMP Forums

Last edited:
And the reply from the CMP Auction forum webmaster: "Just like all of the other rifles we sell, they come with a certificate of authenticity.

All rifles we receive are prior military ownership."

Here is a link to the CMP forum where the question was placed Any body interested in a USMC Mod 70? - CMP Forums
DV, thanks for checking on the paper trail, not much to go on for the bucks its already up to. Im willing to bet that barrel is cooked, would love to take a peek with a borescope.. If only this bad boy could talk !! very best

Looks like not all is right in Denmark.

Looking at the pictures again, I see Hex screws for the scope mount. If I'm not mistaken they didn't start using Hex screws for mounts until the '80s. Not sure they had them during WWII.

I may be wrong, but I don't think that gun will sell for near as much as I thought.

45 minutes away from over and at $5760, oh so tempted to bid on and try and figure out how to pay for it. Damn you fiscal responsibility. If only I thought like our government.

over 7700 w/21 minutes to go. Leave it to marines to over pay for something.

Closed at $8782.77

To bad it had been modified, it would have brought more.