• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Any Ruger LCP Modifications to add a safety?

tasslehawf

Private
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2009
Austin, TX
I bought my wife a Ruger LCP recently for her to use as her CCW. In the box there was this warning about not carrying it loaded because of concerns of it going off if dropped. I just got a few weeks ago so I assume it's post-recall.

We have test fired it on two occasions so far (50 rounds) at the range. My concerns are two-fold:

1) It is not easy to pull the slide back to chamber a round and 2) in a situation where she might need defend her life, it might be even tougher to chamber a round.

Because of the warning page from the box, I am wary to instruct her to carry the gun loaded. What I am wondering is if there is anyone making a manual safety modification for this gun? If not, is there another sub-compact of similar size that does have a manual safety (or a safety trigger like the glock)?

Maybe I'm overreacting. Perhaps she should just carry it loaded and not worry about it. What do you guys think?

EDIT: I've noticed that for pocket pistols there are the Berettas, Taurus, a Sig and they all have safeties on the frame. There is also a S&W that has a built-in laser Too bad glock doesn't make a pocket .380 ACP.

Re: Any Ruger LCP Modifications to add a safety?

You can confirm it's post recall here. Firearm manufacturers, or more specifically their lawyers, list every warning they can think of for CYA measures. Given the history with this pistol, that is just going to be one of them. Take it for what it's worth and make your own decision.

My own disclaimer: I have ZERO experience with that pistol, and these are "assumptions" only. I could be completely wrong and full of crap.

Another option is the Springfield XD Sub-compact 9mm. My wife has one as her primary carry pistol. Fired about 500 rounds and so far no problems but I'm keeping a close eye on it. It has a grip safety like a 1911 and the trigger safety like a Glock. The 13 round flush fitting magazine is really nice too. On the range though she still prefers her G19, but the size was an issue for carry and her wardrobe in the summer.

That or just get the G26 and be done with it.

A PD pistol you can't carry loaded isn't worth spit.
As an emergency tool, what if your other hand is busy?
I agree it's just lawyer talk.
Of course the gun goes into some kind of holster in her purse, right?
My similar design KetTec rides a soft holster in my pocket, hot.

No finger on trigger, no bullets in the air. My wife has carried one fully loaded in her purse with a small Galco holster for over a year. There haven't been any suprise holes in the purse yet.

My wife and I both carry ours loaded. My wife has a desantis holster for hers and I have a leather holster with a belt clip. Never had an issue.

Just make sure your holster covers the trigger and guard completely. That way there isn't a way for something in her purse to snag it as she pulls it.

I made my wife put hers in her purse at the range and dig it out on the line and fire it, just like she would do in the situation. Great practice. No issues.

My wife isn't carrying hers yet, but I went ahead and put the Kel-tec belt clip on hers. She plans to clip it in her skirt.

I carry mine with one in the chamber everyday, in either a front or rear pocket holster that does cover the trigger.

Mike

The safety is the heavy, long @$$ trigger pull. I carry one in the chamber in a back pocket holster that covers the trigger.

+1 on the above statements. You can tell if the gun is post or pre recall. Look around the area where the hammer seats it will have a diamond stamped into it. If its a pre recall thats been fixed by Ruger. I carry mine cocked and locked. Before I sent mine back to Ruger for the recall. I took and racked the slide made sure no rounds in the chamber and inserted a expty mag. and dropped it a few times, then took and held it and hit it on the desk a few times to see if I could the hammer drop I had no luck at getting it to malfuncation.

I've carried a Keltec P3AT in my pocket with just the clip since they hit the market, no issues at all. The LCP can be use the same clip as the Keltec wth a slight bend on one of the clp flanges from some pliars. At least a dozen guys at my station are carrying the LCP or Keltec in the pocket with just the clip and there have been no issues. Crimson Trace makes a laser that doesn't affect the side profile, very nice setup.

I wouldn't be worried at all about my wife carrying either pistol in her purse with one in the tube.