• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any structural engineers around?

Better off to get a cement culvert. View attachment 7826650

I'm a pipelayer by trade. But I've been involved in major infrastructure development in WA. Lots of bridges and over passes. All the shit on I5 outside McCord and Ft. Lewis I had a hand in. Same with by tacoma dome and a bunch of stuff in Seattle.

28 foot span is a lot to not have columns. If your not sinking columns, making footings or abutments your bridge will need to be redesigned.

While it may work. As posted above Army engineers would shut it down if found out. Also with no abutments and just some 8 foot poles sunk in the ground you don't have much to prevent washouts.

Probably better off to just get a 53 foot flatbed trailer and set that sucker over there.
This. We snagged 4 semi trailers that have been awesome. The decks wear out but not too hard to replace. We've run all kinds of stuff across them and they have been maintenance free.

Deer don't seem to use them because I think they ice up once and get slicker than anything. Would be fun to see one try to make it across

This. We snagged 4 semi trailers that have been awesome. The decks wear out but not too hard to replace. We've run all kinds of stuff across them and they have been maintenance free.

Deer don't seem to use them because I think they ice up once and get slicker than anything. Would be fun to see one try to make it across
If you salted the trailers you wouldn’t be able to keep the deer off of them. Lol

Doubtful he will buckle those beams if he welds crossmembers in. The one splice may fail, depends how it was welded.
10,000# tractor, 10’ x 5’ (guessing) is only 200 psf.

Reactions: whatsupdoc
Doubtful he will buckle those beams if he welds crossmembers in. The one splice may fail, depends how it was welded.
10,000# tractor, 10’ x 5’ (guessing) is only 200 psf.
Nope, you're not seeing it correctly.
It's the contact print of the tires, not square footage of the chassis.
Figure about 5"w x7"l for each of the front tires and 24"w x 8"l for the rears.
Of course you also have to factor in tire pressure...... :) JK

I argued with safety dickheads and superintendents many times about this.

What are our options so far?
  • Call the EPA
  • Call an engineer
  • Drive around the long way
  • Put in a culvert
  • Buy a trailer
  • Buy big ass beams
  • Fuck yeah, hold my beer
  • You're going to die
Pretty well sums it up

Top flange will be in compression. If I learned one thing, it is that metal very rarely fails in compression. There are plenty of other places in this project that will fail before the top of this beam buckles under compression.

I generally agree with your comments re: the likelihood of failure in tension vs buckling. In this case, the top flange might end up roughly along the neutral axis, so I'm not sure it will see much load in the long axis of the beam. But that "truss" is likely to impart normal loads to the top flange - compressive in some areas, tension in others, depending upon the orientation of the assembly. The top flange will be responsible for distributing those loads to the web, as the web is much narrower that the pipe used for the truss bracing. My bet is that would show the presence of "hot spots" that would cause a rational person to pursue other design options.

Any way that one looks at this, it's nothing that the designers of that beam intended.

What are our options so far?
  • Call the EPA
  • Call an engineer
  • Drive around the long way
  • Put in a culvert
  • Buy a trailer
  • Buy big ass beams
  • Fuck yeah, hold my beer
  • You're going to die
You forgot
-full send the tractor into the river

So he hasn’t replied in a while….maybe someone should check if he’s in the river
One of two things is going to happen:
1 JG never posts again on SH due to death or failure.
2 A picture with the flatbed Dodge hooked to a gooseneck with a 10k pound load will appear with the caption Fuck You All will appear.

Saw this on my local CL: https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/grq/d/flat-rack-bridge-solution/7460295945.html

01313_bnoPof1DTfGz_09G07g_600x450.jpg

I also agree, underbuilt by a factor of 10. I have studied engineering, but not an engineer. Have built a lot of things with steel, you are underestimating the stresses and overestimating the strength of you design.

You guys are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Obviously the answer is to drive across it faster. And you call yourselves Engineers? Rookies.

• Haha
Reactions: Makinchips208