• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any Winchester 52 people out there?

Re: Any Winchester 52 people out there?

Darkstar, like ThreeDub said, emal him and if he gets enough requests he might do more 52c mounts. They are truly a work of art. They look like the one I have on my 513T Targetmaster remington. Check it out.

P1000087-1.jpg
P1000088.jpg
P1000085.jpg

I inherited a 52b a few years ago. When I got to shooting it I wanted another one and found out I couldn't afford it. I think there has been some work to the trigger as it is about 1lb and very comparable to my Jewell. These are wonderful guns.

DSC_0652.jpg

DSC_0651.jpg

DarkStar,

I had it bedded by a local gunsmith. I only had it bedded as I didn't want to have any one mess with the wood. It currently out shoots my 40XB, M-37, Annie 1411 and my Kim 82G.

Happy Shooting

Don

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ThreeDub</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Darkstar,

Count me in the 52 fan club.
Ken Viani made another run of mounts for the Win 52s early this year. I think those are all sold out but he may be collecting names for another batch.
His contact info:
ken1855 AT hotmail.com (replace the spaces and AT with @)
</div></div>

ThreeDub,
Thanks for the Tip!
DS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ddd oo7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I inherited a 52b a few years ago. When I got to shooting it I wanted another one and found out I couldn't afford it. I think there has been some work to the trigger as it is about 1lb and very comparable to my Jewell. These are wonderful guns.

DSC_0652.jpg

DSC_0651.jpg
</div></div>

ddd 007,
Nice looking B you got there and I see you got all the goodies. Somebody set you up real nice there. What power Unertl are you shooting?
DS

thanks. we are still finding accessories that I didn't even know belonged to the 52. Just a few weeks ago I found an aluminum bore guide for the 52 and a few days ago dad found a larger aluminum handstop. I have just not been around the classic shooting world enough to recognize what all of these part are for, but by looking at pictures here I am slowly putting it all together. Now we just assume that anything that says "freeland" goes with the 52. the scope is a 20x and I have an extra scope just like it that was with the gun. The guy I inherited it from had two 52's, but another family member that doesn't and probably won't ever shoot got the other one. I tried to get it off of him, but he was too sentimental about it to sell it. It is a shame to see a quality rifle sitting in a closet never being used.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brer Rabbit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DarkStar,

I had it bedded by a local gunsmith. I only had it bedded as I didn't want to have any one mess with the wood. It currently out shoots my 40XB, M-37, Annie 1411 and my Kim 82G.

Happy Shooting

Don</div></div>

Good stuff Don. Certainly sounds like it was done correctly by your smith as its showing its true capability next to your other shooters. These old dogs never seem to stop amazing me with how well they shoot. Thanks for the update.
DS

I am going to look at a 52B today that the guy tried to sell at a local gun show, I only got a short glimpse of it before he put it back in the wooden box he said came with the gun.
It is an open sighted gun with what looked like international rear sight and a long tube front sight. Had a big heavy stock and heavy barrel with an aluminum adjustable but plate, also had the hand stop and a palm rest. He gave me his # as I was leaving with my Win 73 that has been in the family since new while he was coming in.
He also said it has been under his bed for 40 years since he stopped shooting it in compitions. I asked what the trigger pull was and he said around 2 oz.
He is asking 1000 for it. Not knowing much about these guns I thought I would ask if that is a good deal.

The rifle would be iron sighted, not open sighted. Deal? OK, depending on what is with it.
THe highly modified rifles are often good shooters, but have little collector value. If it is worth 1000 for you to have a good or great shooter, go for it.
RTH

Here are some pics of it. Got 350 rounds of old Remington rifle target match ammo with it. took it out to test fire it and its dead on at 25 yards, as far as I can shoot in my backyard in the city. Nice light trigger with no movement before or after the round goes off, its just gone.

Win52001.jpg

Win52002.jpg

Win52003.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 69daytona</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here are some pics of it. Got 350 rounds of old Remington rifle target match ammo with it. took it out to test fire it and its dead on at 25 yards, as far as I can shoot in my backyard in the city. Nice light trigger with no movement before or after the round goes off, its just gone.

Win52001.jpg

Win52002.jpg

Win52003.jpg
</div></div>

69daytona,
Nice looking stick. 52B's are very accurate and only had one drawback which was the trigger pull. It held them back from showing all they had in accuracy. That is what lead to the 52C with the micromotion adjustable trigger design.
Thats a 1k set up with all the accessories you got. Looks like the stock was not cut to install the adjustable butt hook. As long as the stock was not cut and the trigger was done correctly and also retained the safety, you wont loose much in value at all.
Good Shooting,
DS

Just found this thread. I have a 52 D & C along with 3 40x's why do people not make guns like this anymore? Cost? Lazy? They are great guns and the accuracy is well you know. I shoot peep sight and love it. Friends of mine do not beleive how accurate they are until they try them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why do people not make guns like this anymore? Cost? Lazy</div></div>

I think its both cost and market. No body cares about quality frearms. They are more into the plastic or 10-22 tacticool stuff.

Winchester quite making them but there still was a damand mainly from the Army so H&R started making the M-12 (or 5200 in the civilian version). They were pretty close clones to the M-52.

When I was running the AK NG Marksmanship unit I wanted to issue them to the units. Couldn't get 52's so I ordered 40 M-12s.

I had my best small bore shooters try them out. They were every bit as accurate as the M-52s

That was a while back (I retired in '92). The moron who replaced me didn't want to be responsible for all the crap I gathered over the 15+ years I ran the program so he turned them all in.

Which I guess it doesn't matter, the Army doesn't care about shooting amy more.

I liked the M-12 so much I bought my own 5200.

HandR5200_1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why do people not make guns like this anymore? Cost? Lazy</div></div>

I think its both cost and market. No body cares about quality frearms. They are more into the plastic or 10-22 tacticool stuff.

Winchester quite making them but there still was a damand mainly from the Army so H&R started making the M-12 (or 5200 in the civilian version). They were pretty close clones to the M-52.

When I was running the AK NG Marksmanship unit I wanted to issue them to the units. Couldn't get 52's so I ordered 40 M-12s.

I had my best small bore shooters try them out. They were every bit as accurate as the M-52s

That was a while back (I retired in '92). The moron who replaced me didn't want to be responsible for all the crap I gathered over the 15+ years I ran the program so he turned them all in.

Which I guess it doesn't matter, the Army doesn't care about shooting amy more.

I liked the M-12 so much I bought my own 5200.

HandR5200_1.jpg

</div></div>

Yes, cost and market are the reasons.

One of the reasons for the -D- going single shot was to reduce cost. No other company could produce an as accurate repeater as the 52-C-, so they concentrated on what they could make, an accurate single shot. The whole industry ended up going that way based on cost and market size. I see all kinds of repeater buzz with cad layouts and what not up here, and ultimately its all a lost buck bloody nose for whoever makes it.

Kraig,
I am sure you are going to think I am some kind of a snob,
BUT:
Its not just the overall quality and accuracy of any given one 52 we own. It is the first rifle that the US Army won an international shootin competition with in 1920 and continued to set records for 50 more years. 52's come to the table with a competition history that no other rimfire can come close to.

M12's are dam good shooters for the money, but at the end of the day they are a reasonably priced "late" Winchester 52 clone. I have friends that shoot M12's and 5200's and I have never seen one shoot as well as a 52-D- out of the box, but they do come close. I have seen a few 5200's shoot as well as a 52-D-, but they had glass bedding, recrowning and trigger work and ultimately it still has that stock that does not come close to a winchester marksman stock in fit, quality and comfort with iron sights. H&R got out of production pretty quickly too as they made no money on them, even with the cost cuts.
Do you need a manual and parts list for your 5200? I know my friend has one for the M12.

Anyhow, there's my rant.
Best to you and yours,
DS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am sure you are going to think I am some kind of a snob</div></div>

Not in the least, and I don't doubt your comments on the '52.

What I was saying is the M12/5200s shot as well as our (AK NG) '52.

You can't compare regular '52s with something the guard mis-uses and abuses. Not if you know the idiot I replaced when I took over the marksmanship unit.

I am a 52 Win fan and have a dozen or so. Most versions. Sporters, Pre A, A, B, C. One has a Win Stainless barrel.
All are very good shooters and some are great.
About the Why question. Just look at this site. On any thread. The question is always "I am looking for the best rifle, scope, stock, barrel etc I can get, for under x dollars?" Most people cannot judge quality. They want cheap and the aviability to buy interchangable plastic crap that snaps on. So, the rise of Savage Arms. Bullets land close together, you can buy lots of crap to hang on them cheap, triggers are light but crappy. That is where the market is.
When I posted on the 40X "trainer" thread to make life easy, just buy a 52 and do not wait years for a 40x non existent repeater conversion, the consensus was "they are no good because you cannot get "stuff" for them." Like what stuff do they need? Just shoot the things.

Rant over.

RTH

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there by chance 10 shot aftermarket magazines for 52's?</div></div>

Steve,
Yes there are. You can get them nos (big bucks), used and aftermarket on fleabay. Other for aftermarket are numrich, champions choice, cheaperthan, etc..
BTW, if your looking to save a few bucks, the older aftermarket with the large capital -W- stamped on the bottom seem to work just fine and they cost less than the originals.

I do not own any 10's myself. The 5 rounders work just fine for me.

Regards,
DS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am a 52 Win fan and have a dozen or so. Most versions. Sporters, Pre A, A, B, C. One has a Win Stainless barrel.
All are very good shooters and some are great.
About the Why question. Just look at this site. On any thread. The question is always "I am looking for the best rifle, scope, stock, barrel etc I can get, for under x dollars?" Most people cannot judge quality. They want cheap and the aviability to buy interchangable plastic crap that snaps on. So, the rise of Savage Arms. Bullets land close together, you can buy lots of crap to hang on them cheap, triggers are light but crappy. That is where the market is.
When I posted on the 40X "trainer" thread to make life easy, just buy a 52 and do not wait years for a 40x non existent repeater conversion, the consensus was "they are no good because you cannot get "stuff" for them." Like what stuff do they need? Just shoot the things.

Rant over.

RTH</div></div>

+1 rth1800
Thanks for the rant. I never could understand the "stuff" thing myself. You obivously get it when it comes to why you own a 52.
If you dont come to the table understanding their Lineage, being American Made, their Quality AND Accuracy, you will never get it...

Winchester was way ahead of the curve for decades in the rimfire market and also the trainer concept. The development over time of the Marksman stock and the identical footprint between the rimfire and the centerfire model 70 target models going back to the 40's says a lot about their forward thinking.

What the Olin business model ultimately did to the Winchester company can not take away from the 52's.

Have a great day and Good Shooting,
DS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the info Darkstar!</div></div>

Your Welcome Steve
smile.gif
Let me know what you end up getting your hands on.

Enjoy that 52!
DS

It has cooled off here recently and I got enthused and got out a couple of standard weight target 52C's and put the Unertls on them. I will shoot tomorrow at dawn prior to the wind rising. Out to 200. Winner gets to go on my squirrel hunts this fall. I got out Lapua and Eley ammo and will shoot to see what works best this year. I have past years records to compare.

I wish I saw this thread earlier. Those are some great rifles!
Someday I might be able to find a nice 52 for a good price but not yet! I don't have that kind of disposable cash yet! I'm partial to both the Winie and Remy 22s of earlier times. I love my old single shot Rem 514! The trigger on the 514 is not as good as the other 510/5teen series but its an accurate barrel and nice hunting single shot mounted with a Weaver classic rimfire.
At some point I probably will look out for a 541HB or 513T. I like the Remy513 but prefer the 541. The 541/580 actions are really nice so one of those will probably be my next serious 22 purchase. The model 52 though is definately cream of the crop in my book!

This may have been ask before but I'll ask again. Does anyone make an aftermarket synthetic stock for the 52B heavy barrel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.Williams</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This may have been ask before but I'll ask again. Does anyone make an aftermarket synthetic stock for the 52B heavy barrel?</div></div>

M.W,
No aftermarket composite stocks are available for 52's to the best of my knowledge.
On occasion you can find old school period (freeland, etc.) aftermarket stocks for offhand and prone shooting, but they are wood. IMO, they are not as nice as the winchester marksman stock that came on the 52B from the factory. RF Central and fleabay are possible sources.
Regards,
DS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.Williams</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This may have been ask before but I'll ask again. Does anyone make an aftermarket synthetic stock for the 52B heavy barrel? </div></div>

Richards Microfit advertises laminate stocks for the 52C & 52D. The 52C should work with a B with perhaps a little extra fitting.
Richards Microfit Stocks

Don't know if anyone would be interested but I have some sights for sale. I sold my 52C but the guy didn't want the sights. I have an excellent condition Redfield international match rear sight, an olympic front sight and a rear sight base for a 52c. I have them listed in the optics for sale area but no takers so far. I would make a package deal if someone wanted all 3 pieces. If interested send me a PM. Thanks

i own a 52 pre a made in 1934 with lyman micrometers

heavy barrel

it likes green box target remington ammuntion.

it still shoots dime groups

I took delivery of my 52B yesterday with a 15x Lyman scope. I'll get pictures up soon. Very pleased with the condition of this rifle.

I just traded my 52B for a MPR. It's fun trying out these nice 22's. Each one has things about it I like and don't like. Next one I try will be a 40X.

What's that springy thingy hanging out of your trigger mechanism?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking for info on this...
2013-02-10_04-16-49_335_zpsc4229439.jpg

2013-02-10_04-16-35_62_zps83b9e282.jpg

2013-02-10_04-18-05_787_zps68c7113b.jpg

2013-02-10_04-18-28_544_zps379ec814.jpg

2013-02-10_04-17-21_377_zpscbbac6b5.jpg

Obviously the butt pad is missing but the LOP is 13.5" ...so I'm hoping that is all.

The safety has been deleted and the trigger has zero over travel and it around 2lbs...maybe a little less.

Any info is appreciated.
</div></div>

DFOOSKING,
Congrats. Nice snatch for what you traded it for
laugh.gif

Model 52B with Heavy Target Barrel in a Marksman Series prone stock.

The serial number puts it between August 22 1939 and January 5 1940. I can get you a more exact date if you want to pm me.

LOP is correct.

Unknown maker aftermarket adjustable dovetail buttplate. There were a few of that era and the name may be stamped on the underside if you remeove it. It probably also had an offhand hook you could swap out for the flat plate. Also there was probably a padded one. Not aftermarket Al Freeland, so his accessories probably will not fit.

You can probably find a factory butplate on flea bay, gb, or rimfire central. Repros I think can be had thru Numrich or Champions Choice?

Forward short rail with tapped holes for length adjustments with seperate plastic handstop with sling mount are factory correct accessories.

Cutout and horizontal compression mark on stock are typical of rifles that originially came with Lyman Models 48JH, 48F and 57F Micrometer rear sights. If you have a forward mounting block, the front sight would have been a Lymann Model 77. If you have a raised pad with a dovetail, it would have been a Lyman Modle 17A.

Large head screw attaching the floorplate is not factory. They were originally countersunk.

The missing thumb actuated sliding catch saftey was first introduced on the Model 52B and was a great improvement over earlier versions. Earlier safety versions locked the firing pin in the cocked position, while the 52B safety disengaged the sear from the trigger.

Trigger is aftermarket, the wire is a pull down to release the bolt gizmo. There were a few of this period that made them like this. Some were made from scratch. Some were reworked factory units. I will look around to see if I can get more info on the trigger. Better picks of it would help if it matters that much to you.

Does it still have the forward barrel band? That method of barrel to stock attachment was the "new and improved" method for the 52B Target model in the Marksman Series Stock.

Hope this helps and good plinking.

Have a great day,
DS

I think that is a Canjar trigger. The RFC Win 52 Trigger sticky has a couple of posts for 52C Canjar triggers but I don't remember any for 52B Canjars. Several other after-market 52B triggers are shown.

RFC-Win 52 Triggers

DFOOSKING, welcome to the Win 52 club. You've obtained a very nice rifle with one of the "issues" of the 52B model already addressed. From the limited photos it at first glance appears to be a Canjar 52-3* as it does not have the wide trigger shoe of either the 52-1 or 52-2. Could you post a more detailed picture of the trigger and trigger guard to further aid identification. Unless of course you just want to pop the barreled receiver out and see if there are any identifiers on the trigger.

The Win 52 subforum over on Rimfire Central is a great wealth of information. A few additional items you might be interested in acquiring:

5 round Magazines

EGW Picatinny scope base

Attaching a bipod via a stud unfortunately is not a straight forward endeavor in my experience. The screws use for the attachment rail and the front sling swivel are an oddball thread pitch no longer commonly used. A good machinist can quickly alter the front sling swivel or possibly make one from scratch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Boom!
2013-02-16_22-18-53_791_zps54fede91.jpg

Hopefully test for groups tomorrow!</div></div>

Looking good DFOOSKING! How does she shoot?

The trigger looks to be a canjar that did not have the release wire broken off yet. The release wire broken off is not uncommon. From a timeline standpoint, the canjars were not available earlier on when the 52B was introduced, it became available much later. When the B was new, there were several custom triggers that were popular on the Model B: Thomas, Sweeney, Garrison, etc..

The Lyman 25x at 900 beans is about right, provided it is in pristine condition and it has a recoil spring. IMO, the recoil spring is a gotta have for any of these scopes. When you get over 20x, they do start to climb in price. I have a Lyman in 30x. For its objective and maintube size, I think they are comparable to the Unertls in clairty and brightness and they are lighter if that matters.

Glue some neoprene sheet stock on that aluminum butpad piece and let her ride.

Regards,
DS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks

It took a doing taking it apart and figuring out the wire and just how its supposed to work but I got it.

2013-02-14_20-58-58_866_zps20f4988e.jpg

I would like to know if this buttplate is a commercial product worth saving or a homemade piece. The quality of it leaves a little to be desired. I removed it and the plate and no marks are to be found. The inner part of the brass knob was highly corroded and after about 3 min of turning it in and out had worked off enough to remove it.

I would prefer the correct plate at best or a comparable rubber one at worst. This one doesn't even match the stocks contour.

If I could just get by with my looks...I'd buy SDWhirlwinds Rem 37 he has up for sale.
frown.gif
</div></div>

DFOOSKING,
One of the 52B's greatest shortcomings, and this is well documented, is the quality of the trigger. You are well past that with a high quality period correct upgrade.

If it was me, I would get the buttplate working and look for a factory replacement if the added lop does not suit you. A little pb blaster would have gone a long way in getting that knob to let go without hassles. The Marksman stocks are hand made. Aftermarket buttplates were normally oversized and meant to be scribed to contour, removed and ground or filed to finish size to get a perfect fit. This step was not done on alot of rifles, which is why you still see many in the condition like yours. I was never a fan of the Marksman stock with a whitline or other rubber pad. For me personally, it did not give me anything and I like the metal butplates.

Now that you took it apart, be careful of the tension on the barrel band attaching screw when you are reassembling your rifle. You can ruin the accuracy by overtightening it. If you can recall how tight yours was, try to put it back at that point or lighter. If you have any accuracy issues, lightly snug it down a little more and keep track of how it effects accuracy.

I am not a fan of the Rem 37's. I use to collect them. After owning and trading up thru a dozen different ones, I sold or traded them off for the 52's I own. The accuracy, fit and finish of the 37's I owned was a crap shoot at best and never averaged out in overall accuracy and finish quality like I have witnessed with the 52's. If you want a 37, make dam sure you shoot it first. Some of them I have owned were awesome accurate, most were not. That is just my experience with them.

Regards,
DS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My plate is too small....not too large. Just sayin'

Not too worried on the 37...smallbore rifles here in general are a rarity. The only two 37's I've ever seen in person where total basket cases. The last one I saw looked like someone hit the right hand side of the forend with a power drill and haphazardly drilled 7 holes in it. The $1100 price tag and no sights made it a no brainer. I'd just like a nice one just to say I have it...also looking and know where a nice 540XR is but the seller thinks they're worth a grand!

Thanks for the tips! I'll post some indoor 50ft groups tomorrow if I can. I have little doubt that if its as accurate as I think it will clean a 50ft smallbore target. Obviously the scope will be cheating but oh well.</div></div>

HA, I just noticed the gap on the butplate to the top of the stock in the pick. Man, that was def not made for a 52! Oh well, it will still hold you over till you find a real one and protect the wood from bumps.

Let me know how you like the scope base. I am all vintage long glass or irons on mine.

Good Shooting,
DS

When I refinished then reassembled the marksman stock on my 52B I found that 20-25lbs was the torque range my rifle preferred.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had a lead on my buttplate.

I guess there was a guy that made these here in Watertown in the 1950's.

His name was Peter Bosson...and I guess he outfitted lots of rifles and even made straight pull bolts on 513T's.</div></div>

Thats interesting. Maybe that buttplate contour may be for a 513T? If it is, you have a little something fun for you 513T after you get your 52B straightened out.

Has your stock been shortened. My "B" has a 13 1/4" length of pull.

Love the Winchester 52's! Recently sold my 52D on Gunbroker. It was a custom built job, so no collector value. Why did I sell it you ask? I bought a JP Enterprises 22 upper and I love it so much it forced me to sell the 52D...I stopped shooting all my other 22's since I bought the JP. I have a beautiful 1949 Winchester 63 on GB now, another fine old Winchester. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=330598798

Last edited:
Eric johnson m52

This rifle was given to me by my Uncle who competed with it at Camp Perry. I mounted a new bipod on the sling swivel since this picture was taken. It shoots 1/2 MOA with Wolf match, with the exception of the normal "Wolf Flyer" that eveyone experiences. Eric Johnson was a barrel maker for Winchester prior to WW 2. This is a 6 groove barrel. He died with his secret! These guns are very highly valued, and will stay in my family.

Attachments

• Eric Johnson rifle.jpg
    Eric Johnson rifle.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 89
Pillar bedding a 52D? I need to bed my 52D to correct a bedding job done by a previous owner. Has any here bedded a 52D? Since there is no recoil lug, I need advice on bedding the rifle. I have bedded a Rem 700, a Rem 40XB and a rem 540XR, so I have the basics down fairly well.

DSC_0778.jpg

Any advice is welcome.

Don

Don, Did you ever get around to having your 52D bedded? Just curious as I'm working on one right now. If your stock has the factory recoil lug in it the top of the lug where the action screw comes thru locates on the bottom counter bore of the receiver and help locates the action. If you are going to do it yourself using this as a start sounds like it might be a good choice.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

I'm just popping in to say I love Winchester Model 52s. More specifically the early A models and Pre-A models. With few exceptions, the Model 52 is hands down my favorite .22 firearm, including other rifles and handguns. It's the only gun that I plan to buy multiple of. This has to do with the fact that my favorite firearms overall are heavy barreled target bolt actions and, I have to say, that the Winchester 52 reigns supreme. It's so d*** accurate and it feels just like a real rifle. When the make a 40X repeater, I may be interested. Aww, who am I kidding, no I wouldn't be. I'm sticking with the 52.

Just found a 52C at a local gun show asking $900. Stock could have used a little refinishing but it was in very good shape otherwise.

Finished putting this together. Started out with nothing but a stripped 52D receiver. Had to get the stuck bolt stop/plunger out of the receiver as it was jammed all the way in. Picked the stock up. Found a bolt and bolt guide. We made the barrel of course. It duplicates the heavy 52D contour but in S.S. it has 8 grooves and a left hand twist and gain twist rifling. My spec'd match reamer. Picked up and installed a Kenyon trigger. Had Steve Kostanich install the barrel for me. He had the different cutters to make the extractor cuts and has built .22rf benchrest rifles on the Win. 52 so no sense in me reinventing the wheel. Had Andy and I at work made the recoil lug that I came up with/designed for the receiver. I opened up the stock for the lug and stripped the old bedding compound out of the stock and rebidded the stock with Devcon Steel. Picked up a set of original Unertl blocks and a dual step iron sight mount for the front sight and did all the installation. Got a NOS Redfield rear sight mount from my old buddy Roy. The mount was still in the Redfield package and he only charged me $15 for it to boot!

The picture with the unertl scope on it was when I tested it with my test stock to make sure everything was working before I did all the work to the nice stock. Think it will be a great shooter! Thru on a set of vintage Redfield Olympics for the pics.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Win Mod 52

Count me in the ranks of Winchester Mod 52 owners/Fans. I own a nice HB Pre-A speedlock model dating back to about 1932. Mine is sort of unique. It is a carbine model. While I would never do this to a nice original mod 52, the modifications that were done to my rifle at some point in its life all work in harmony to make it a better rifle than the original. It hurt the collector value but it greatly enhanced the rifle's performance and utility. And without that, I likely would have never purchased it.

The bbl was shortened and recrowned with the length now being 21 3/4" which was exactly where the harmonic node of the bbl was located. This made it both lighter and in theory shoot tighter groups. The peep sites were removed and a vintage Williams receiver mount was installed which enables the use of modern optics. I also have a vintage barrel mounted B&L BalVAR 6-24x scope for it but I have not fitted it since I like the modern utility of the modern 6-24x mil-dot that I currently have on the gun. The trigger is one of the best on any gun I have ever tried. The receiver is tight and free of the crack of death that many early 52's suffer from. Mine shoots only slightly worse than my Remington Mod 540XR which is one of the better shooting 22's on this forum (see the six target challenge on this forum). I think if the Winnie had optics as good as the Remington, it would shoot as good or better. In many ways it is more consistent than the other rifle and has a better trigger.

The Mod 52 is my favorite squirrel rifle, and it is deadly in that application. I like the lighter weight, but it is still a heavy gun at 9.2lbs. I have also competed in ARA and IR50/50 matches with it in the unlimited class. While not a class winner, it did far better than expected. At 50yds it is usually able to make all the holes touch once about 10rds have gone down range to lube the bbl. It makes a reasonably good trainer for my 1903-A1 long range rifle. The weight, feel, trigger, etc feel almost the same. I have shot this one at both 100 and 200yds in the past with good results. I attached pics of two 50yd groups and one 5 shot group fired from 100yds as well as a recent pic of the gun for your enjoyment.

Irish

Attachments

• Win Mod 52 Pre-Ac.jpg
    Win Mod 52 Pre-Ac.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Mod 52 best 100yd grp CX.JPG
    Mod 52 best 100yd grp CX.JPG
    946.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 52.jpg
    52.jpg
    761.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Mod52 50yds Eley 5sh.jpg
    Mod52 50yds Eley 5sh.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 49
I just realized I have not posted my pride and joy in this thread yet. It is a 52B Heavy Target circa 1950 with a Canjar trigger and beautiful wood. I acquired this gun in July 2012 by complete serendipity through my hometown FFL, whom had very recently acquired it through an Estate sale. Neither of us were aware of the value of the Canjar trigger at the time of the transaction, so I got that as a freebie. :) The rifle was in rough shape having sat in a closet for over 25 years collecting dust. The finish was pretty worn and my first task aside from a heavy dusting was to remove the old oil finish. I left the original stain and refinished with pure Tung oil. It's an absolute shooter with any lot of SK I have fed it, and the few rounds of Center-X through it were quite impressive scoring hits on 6in IDPA steel at 300yds. The last picture is of my first "kill" with the rifle. An very unfortunate dragofly decided to land on the 100 yd target board I was shooting groups on. The group I was shooting is the 3rd image, my 5th shot was the dragonfly. :)

I've also acquired a lovely CMP 52D circa 1962 that is as accurate as my 52B, but I'm still refinishing the stock on it so no photos of it...yet.