• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anybody use PODS type moving service?

2aBaC̶a̶

Humans are amusing
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2019
I Da ho
Im moving soon and contemplating how exactly. Rent a U-haul type truck and drag a vehicle or Use one of those PODS where they drop off a container, you fill it up and they transport it.

Cost is about the same at around 4k.

Leaning toward the POD.

My daughter and son-in-law moved from Iowa to Florida using this service. It went well. You are responsible for packing your items securely. They will pull the container from the shelf one or two times if you need a few items at the warehouse close to your destination. We had to get a few things out only one time. The lifts on the trucks and in the warehouse keep the container level.

For an alternate, ABF Freight has a competitive service that will drop a 28 foot trailer that you fill and they then deliver to your new location. Dock door height means you have a steeper ramp. PODS has a street level loading platform.

I used one for storage. Read the fine print. There are a lot of charges they can throw at you if you cancel early. I had to pay an extra month of rent even though they picked it up. Something about a 15 day notice.

Otherwise had no issues. Driver came and placed it where I wanted it. Worked well but the seals were not the best and my shit got dusty from winds blowing crap into the unit.

Reactions: 2aBaC̶a̶
Im moving soon and contemplating how exactly. Rent a U-haul type truck and drag a vehicle or Use one of those PODS where they drop off a container, you fill it up and they transport it.

Leaning toward the POD.
4K sounds a bit pricey. Most UHauls rent for under $100 p/day and $00.50 per mile. Even LA to Miami would only be about 2500 miles/$1250 plus the daily rental. sounds more like 2K. Am I off somewhere.

Personally I like the PODS idea, takes some of the hurry to load/unload off your back.

Reactions: Tinker054559
The only negative I found with PODS was the price. If you got them to match a uhaul then good on you, what i was being quoted was more than double uhaul

Last edited:
4K sounds a bit pricey. Most UHauls rent for under $100 p/day and $00.50 per mile. Even LA to Miami would only be about 2500 miles/$1250 plus the daily rental. sounds more like 2K. Am I off somewhere.

Personally I like the PODS idea, takes some of the hurry to load/unload off your back.
Just doing an online price calculator on the websites. UHAUL, Ryder, penske are all around the same. California to Idaho.

I’m pretty sure Uhaul charges more starting from California. That’s what I have been told at least. I couldn’t imagine they get many uhaul trucks coming into California. I guess they figure having to ship trucks back. Lol

It's almost triple leaving California. They straight scalp you leaving. My neighbor just moved to idaho. Be said it would have been better to just outright buy a trailer

It's almost triple leaving California. They straight scalp you leaving. My neighbor just moved to idaho. Be said it would have been better to just outright buy a trailer
so rent the bitch in Idaho round trip which is cheaper, drive to Califuckyouornia, lad it up and drive back.

Leaning toward the POD.
I used them twice and I did not have any problems. Freight wise, loading out of CA heading East the cost per mile is lower. The positive is that you can take your time load and unloading. The negative is that you can take your time unloading. The only reason why I had used them twice is because I did not have permeant housing and I needed to store my belongings. If you do not need to use them as storage I would use a mover.

Used Pack Rat for storage, needed it in a hurry and they dropped it next day for $50.00 more. Seals are ok. What I like is the Packrat is a steel container as opposed to plastic or a tarp.

I used POD to move some furniture from Florida to California. Worked like a champ. I built an interior set of bracing and shelves to maximize it’s potential and improve protection for some fragile items. The box does flex a bit so you can’t count on that being entirely stable.

There were some issues with timing, ie, they dragged their feet for a day on point of origin pickup and for two or three days after I had it unloaded at destination. At pickup it was behind the security fence at a storage facility, so no big deal. After unloading in CA the box sat for two or three days before they came to get it. Fortunately it was not in the way.

Regarding cost, as other noted, you’re going to pay more to move CA to ID, as there aren’t too many moving ID to CA.

New neighbours moved from Cali to GA. (dont worry they are from here originally) dont know cost but seemed to be happy with Packrat. (no I'm not affiliated with Packrat, only one I have any experience with)

Reactions: Tinker054559
Used Pack Rat for storage, needed it in a hurry and they dropped it next day for $50.00 more. Seals are ok. What I like is the Packrat is a steel container as opposed to plastic or a tarp.
Pods are steel also.
Welp...there goes the neighborhood.
Hahaha, you have no Idea. Everyone says I'll fit right in because apparently I don't fit in here where I'm at. Plus someone has to balance all the libtards moving there. I'm good for about 4 or 5 of them.

Reactions: Aftermath
I had to beef up the floor. It fell through the first attempt. I installed a bunch of d-rings with lag bolts inside to tie stuff too.

B56D6B35-7E55-4334-A454-CB138D0BDB7B.jpeg
B0C3F92F-72F1-4FBB-9CA1-F2B325E42B36.jpeg

3 PODS for ~$6000. We moved from Gulf Coast to Missouri. Delivery, pickup, and delivery again were on time within 15 minutes each time. All three PODS delivered and re-delivered simultaneously--a big point if you don't keep track of which POD has your necessities (which I'm told is sometimes a problem). I labeled our PODS and kept a list of contents in case they got separated.

"Maximum" weight is rated at 4000 lb. Loaded an electric golf cart, a 60" deck lawnmower (and then emptied the gas tanks), a 700lb safe and ~20,000 rounds of various ammo and all the rest of a 4bdrm 3bath house and 4-car garage into 3 PODS; packed to the gills. I was concerned about weight, but the driver said that he had loaded like containers for military transport and they never had any problems with 4 tons (8000lb) but might get nervous at 5 tons. Near as I can estimate, I had one POD loaded to ~ 5500lb.

No complaints at all; transaction was done between Feb 29, 2000 and March 27--right in the middle of the Covid interstate transport embargo (and the stock market crash/media panic), but PODS anticipated the Dept Transportation mandate and got all three across state lines before the deadline for me. State of Missouri's lockdown almost trapped our PODS also, but beating DoT also beat MODOT's deadline. Marvelous service.

My daughter used ABF ( Arkansas Best Freight) version.
Went good from delivering the trailer, until they picked it up a few days later.
Went from Arkansas to the Port Huron MI area. Might look at them.
👍

My daughter used ABF ( Arkansas Best Freight) version.
Went good from delivering the trailer, until they picked it up a few days later.
Went from Arkansas to the Port Huron MI area. Might look at them.
👍
I used ABF moving from San Diego to Michigan. Great experience and about a grand less than the others. I think it was low $3000. ???
We thought about the trailer idea as well but what we found was that the demand for trailers in Ca plus the fact that most are Manufactured Eastward ment that it was expensive to purchase and we would get really low return at our destination.
We live very rural and everyone just fabs their own stuff.
ABF brings trailer, you load then only pay for the space used.
No guessing how many shoeboxes will it take to fit my apartment in.....
Good luck!

Got me thinking. Plus I could sell the trailer and make most of my money back. Would probably take 2 trips to move everything.
If you have a vehicle to tow it , enclosed trailers can be had for that same price as a pod , at least that's the case in my location. Then when your done sell it. Even if it cost you $6000 new and you sold it for $5000 then the move only cost you $1000.

I moved from NH to SC, just shy of 1,000 miles. I priced several container moving services. PODS was about twice the rate of the least expensive.

Then I priced rental trucks from several well-known companies and made a reservation for a 26' truck. Confirmed the day prior, no problem. Showed up to pick it up and it wasn't there! They offered me two shorter trucks for the same price. We had two drivers so we could split driving duty. That wasn't going to work. They said they had a 26' about 45 minutes away just over the state line. I drove there. They absolutely would not credit me for the sales tax I would not have had to pay in NH where the truck was supposed to be. I walked away and called the moving crew I had already scheduled to postpone because there was no truck to load. The crew Super strongly recommended U-Haul. He said they had a much better handle on their inventory and said his experience was that if they said it was on a certain lot, it was there.

I went to U-Haul to pick up the truck. It was going to run around $4k for 965 miles and three days. I happened to mention we were planning to rent a car to drive back for the closing. I had no desire to have all my belongings sitting on a truck with the meter running and have something push the closing out.

I think the price we got on the car rental was $6-800. The U-Haul rep suggested driving the truck back gets a much cheaper rate. Around $2,500 for 1,900 miles and six days and no car rental. Even at 9.5 mpg driving back (around the same mileage as fully loaded) I saved a couple grand.

I used PackRat to move coast to coast. One thing to keep an eye on is the gaps between the floor and the sidewall of the container. Rain got kicked up onto some of my stuff, coating it in scum by arrival. I would have done something to reduce that if I had noticed. Two containers cost me 8,756.00 about 6 years ago.

I was really worried about the weight in the pods. I know I had close to 10k lbs in the lathe one. The lathe alone is 3500# plus it had 75% of our house contents in boxes plus all of the tools and gadgets from the garage. The other pod had the safe and the bulky furniture. It was heavy but the lathe pod was nuts. The picker upper picked it up like it was empty. I was astonished. I fully expected the floor to collapse in mid air.
47ECFB06-5901-4070-B248-FB8547273436.jpeg

Last edited:
Inlaws used the pods. They loved it and are now hinting its time for us to move and use them..

Oh and obligatory Idaho is full.

Reactions: Aftermath
Why not just hire movers to do the whole thing? The pods/container approach is good and can save you some money, but if you're already driving a car, you can easily have a moving company handle everything else. We moved long distance last year with Three Movers and it cost less than $4k so they may be an option to look into. FWIW they had a pods type service too, which I think is common among most moving companies these days.

I ended up liquidating half my shit and going with the largest Uhaul for the rest. since people moving from California is at an all time high uhauls are scarce and overpriced. The cheapest route was I ended up driving my truck to the destination which is Boise area Idaho and renting a large Uhaul truck there, driving it back to CA empty. then we took the week to fill it and drive back the next week. 7 days rental plus mileage was little over $1000 if I remember correctly. If I had rented it from CA and did the one way I would of only had 2 days and cost close to $3000.