• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone built a 1/2 minute rifle off a Wby action?

Wannashootit

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 3, 2010
    FL
    Posted similar question in the 'smithing forum but figured I'd widen the net a bit.
    I'm considering picking up a Wby Mark V action for a LR/ELR .338 Lapua build.

The actions are indestructible, but Wby's aren't known for being tack drivers- not an issue for "hunting" accuracy, but is for my intended use. Conceivably, could just be barrel quality- but I have no idea. The 9-lug design precludes me doing any sort of blueprinting on the bolt lugs and abutments if that design-while extremely strong- contributes to inaccuracy.

I'm well aware of the limited aftermarket support and am factoring that into the decision.

Looking to hear from anyone that's rebarreled a Mark V with a top-tier barrel, and the results?

I did one in 300 Weatherby that shot great. If you can get the trigger set to your standards nothing wrong with Weatherby action.

I always thought if you shot one much with hot ammo all the small lugs would end up being in uniform contact due to setback. Might be wrong?

I always thought if you shot one much with hot ammo all the small lugs would end up being in uniform contact due to setback. Might be wrong?
    Their 9-lug design is interesting and at the same time puzzling to me.
    We know that two-lug production actions rarely have acceptable contact without lapping at minimum. There's three "rings" of lugs, how all three (with three lugs each) can accomplish this is surprising. You may well be correct, in any case their design doesn't yield against the bolt thrust of the largest magnums- so it obviously works.

I'm just puzzled as to why I NEVER see a purpose-built LR target rifle built off of these.

Reactions: Tony w
    I think you touched on it.
    It has no aftermarket support, was relatively expensive. In factory configuration it had a light barrel, odd chamber and was loaded heavily. They kicked and had no reputation for accuracy. If a custom builder had of made well chambered, medium weight custom barreled .257 Weatherby rifles they would have amazed the hunting world.

Their 9-lug design is interesting and at the same time puzzling to me.
    We know that two-lug production actions rarely have acceptable contact without lapping at minimum. There's three "rings" of lugs, how all three (with three lugs each) can accomplish this is surprising. You may well be correct, in any case their design doesn't yield against the bolt thrust of the largest magnums- so it obviously works.

I'm just puzzled as to why I NEVER see a purpose-built LR target rifle built off of these.
    RPA quad lock.
    I personally think it’s just over complicating things to be innovative and a sales point.
    It certainly can work.

One of the advantages of the Weatherby type action it that the bolt diameter and lug diameter are the same so a very smooth raceway results and no excess bulk at the receiver ring.

Reactions: Steel head
    Screenshot_20210323-172856_Chrome.jpg

How 1500/Weatherby Vanguard, same.
    Mark V different animal.

Last edited:
    I've built a .30-378 WBY and 6.5 RPM on the MK Vs, used a proof barrel both times. They both shot excellent, the 30-378 shot .2s and .3s The RPM is shooting about .5 last I heard. Both carbon fiber barrels.

I've built a .30-378 WBY and 6.5 RPM on the MK Vs, used a proof barrel both times. They both shot excellent, the 30-378 shot .2s and .3s The RPM is shooting about .5 last I heard. Both carbon fiber barrels.
    Perfect- just what I was hoping to hear.
    The action I'm considering is from a .30-.378, it looks as though the internal mag should be able to handle the OAL of the Lapua but I need to check; I'm running 300 A-Tips at roughly 3.8" in another rifle.

Take this with a grain of salt, but I've heard of the Lapua sized bolt face being notorious for breaking extractors in the WBY Mark V. To the point that some people carry spares and tools to change them any time they take the rifle into the field/range. Certainly doesn't inspire confidence in reliability, but it could be bullshit, I have zero personal experience.

in response to your question I actually did the exact build your proposing , I bought a factory wby in 30-378 years ago and when the tube was smoked I spun up a 338 Lapua in its place, works great. I run the 300 Berger's at the lands with the standard spec reamer and have no problem with feeding at mag length.... seems like a great option and it's as accurate as any other 338 build of the guys i shoot with..... I agree the limitations are aftermarket support, I had an A5 built for it years ago, run a Near 20moa base and have a +1 mag extension that I can't remember where it came from.... the trigger is the main shortcoming, I've got a Timney in it but it's not in the same class as my other builds.

I rebarreled my MK 5, 7 mm wby with a shilen ratchet rifleing 28 in #5 contour.....thoarted it for 180 vld to be out shoulder / neck junction.......74 gr Retumbo =3050 fps...........glass and pillar bedded action .....5 x 25 NF ......14 lb bitch shoots pretty damn good........stock trigger has a tad of creep ,but I've been shooting it 40 something years and am used to it.........Wish someone offered a chassis for one ( L H ) I'd drop the coin for it.

Reactions: 308pirate
    Take this with a grain of salt, but I've heard of the Lapua sized bolt face being notorious for breaking extractors in the WBY Mark V. To the point that some people carry spares and tools to change them any time they take the rifle into the field/range. Certainly doesn't inspire confidence in reliability, but it could be bullshit, I have zero personal experience.
    Then why repeat it?

Hearsay/second hand knowledge has no useful value.

My buddy is a Weatherby fan and has both .257 and .300 magnums. They are fine hunting rifles (and I know many swear by them), but based on my observations at the range I wouldn't consider either as a base for a target-oriented rifle. He has tried a lot to get them to shoot better to no avail. His son's off the shelf Tikka in .30-06 shoots circles around either for a fraction of the price and effort.

I am sure the action can do it, maybe the barrels and calibers are holding him back?

90% of accuracy is the quality of the barrel and chamber job

use quality components/ barrels like kreiger, barlein etc, and a proper smith

there isnt a modern action bolt action that cannot be made to shoot .5 at 100 for a 3 round group (of course im not talking about repro falling block etc)

...heard this a long time ago and still holds true, "if you cant get Federal Gold Match to shoot .5 or better at 100 you should sell your lathe"

I don't think the weatherby cartridge design leads to accuracy, although there was certainly success with the 30-378.
    If you had an action with the Lapua bolt face, I'd consider a .338 norma but, personally, I wouldn't go out and buy a waetherby action to build a rifle on.
    Aftermarket is too limited.

Thanks again, guys- I'm going to make an offer on it.

Does Wby make their own tubes? Jeezus, one would think that if Savage can turn out fugly but decent shooting barrels at their price point...

I don’t know-I have two production vanguards, one in .257 Whby and one .22-250. Both shoot 1/2 MOA or better with handloads. Not sure I’d go the custom route.

Reactions: Wryfox
    I had a MK V 338-378 factory,rifle shot poorly . Had a WBY gunsmith re-barrel with a Bartlein Rem Varmint contour in 257 Mag . It now shoots 1/2 MOA when I do my part .In Nevada summers 3-4 shots, the barrels get so hot it takes a month to cool down.

Posted similar question in the 'smithing forum but figured I'd widen the net a bit.

The actions are indestructible, but Wby's aren't known for being tack drivers- not an issue for "hunting" accuracy, but is for my intended use. Conceivably, could just be barrel quality- but I have no idea. The 9-lug design precludes me doing any sort of blueprinting on the bolt lugs and abutments if that design-while extremely strong- contributes to inaccuracy.

I'm well aware of the limited aftermarket support and am factoring that into the decision.

Looking to hear from anyone that's rebarreled a Mark V with a top-tier barrel, and the results?
    Weatherby has a reputation for inaccuracy based in large part on Roy's calibers. In order to achieve speed without having a pipe bomb excessive freebore was necessary. You are also correct about the lug problem. I have barreled a couple of vanguards in 2506 AI that were great bean field rifles.
    All in all for the.cost of building a true long range capable rifle I would strongly recommend AVOIDING the false economy of a cheaper action. Look to the bench rest world and follow.
    There is an old saw about making a silk purse out of a sows ear....ots still valid.

My FACTORY 30-378 V runs in the .2s to .3s with handloads. To all these haters saying Wthby cant shoot, I've NEVER had a factory Wthby V that couldn't shoot 1/2moa. They do not have reputation for inaccuracy. Quite the opposite. No one in my 30 years of competitive shooting has said a Wthby can’t shoot. What I will say is Wthby is not *ideal* for precision shooting. Its just that they CAN be made to shoot quite well by applying basic principles.

My dads boss had this one made off a mark v, its 6.5 creedmoor. Not sure who made it for him, he is a weatherby collector and was thinking of selling it to me, just got some pics the other day.
    123_1.jpeg

Reactions: Dragoon300 and BCX
    I built this 300 Norma Improved off of a Wby 9 lug. Nate Dagley did the action and barrel work and Chad Dixon inletted the stock, bedded it and painted it. It’s been an extremely accurate rifle and one of my favorites.

Attachments

• BDB6BEDD-D415-4FB9-98A3-FA36FD6C3FC2.jpeg
      BDB6BEDD-D415-4FB9-98A3-FA36FD6C3FC2.jpeg
      474.4 KB · Views: 89
    • C9E91B33-3EBD-47AA-815E-02E9ABF44308.jpeg
      C9E91B33-3EBD-47AA-815E-02E9ABF44308.jpeg
      506.9 KB · Views: 88
    • D26C55FD-3682-4C8F-8C5D-C39307EA4396.jpeg
      D26C55FD-3682-4C8F-8C5D-C39307EA4396.jpeg
      507.7 KB · Views: 188
    Reactions: Dragoon300
    My FACTORY 30-378 V runs in the .2s to .3s with handloads. To all these haters saying Wthby cant shoot, I've NEVER had a factory Wthby V that couldn't shoot 1/2moa. They do not have reputation for inaccuracy. Quite the opposite. No one in my 30 years of competitive shooting has said a Wthby can’t shoot. What I will say is Wthby is not *ideal* for precision shooting. Its just that they CAN be made to shoot quite well by applying basic principles.
    I think you are correct, Weatherby rifles especially the later ones, are as capable or more of accuracy. In my opinion the Mk V actions have much more to offer than most currently available actions. I looked at using one myself, and probably would have if I didn't have my Desert Tech. Personally I would add the Savage style barrel nut in the build, and for me a custom chassis. Whatever the case, Weatherby is something to consider. Just add up the pros and cons of what you like, need, will / will not tollerate then make the decision.

I built this 300 Norma Improved off of a Wby 9 lug. Nate Dagley did the action and barrel work and Chad Dixon inletted the stock, bedded it and painted it. It’s been an extremely accurate rifle and one of my favorites.
    Very nice rifle!

weatherby actions are great.. The only problem is that weathery wanted to have the fastest round in the world.. That means a light weight bullet. The actions opening on the bottom is very very short. Loading a longer High BC bullet is hard.

Kevin Wyatt of Wyatt outdoors built my 340 Weatherby using 1&12 twist octagon shilen barrel no free bore with 250 grain nosler partition bullets groups 1/2” at 400 yards this is on a custom Kevlar thumbhole stock and custom break. This is my go to hunting rifle hear in Alaska