• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone done a current Gas Block comparison?

TheHorta

Nest-stirring pot-poker.
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 17, 2014
    NO AL
    SLR
    Superlative
    JP
    And a bajillion others…

I just wanna know who makes the best GB for mixed use / mixed caliber / suppressed, unsuppressed, 5.56, 300BLK, ARC, etc…

Small frame and large frame recommends as well.

JP just released a new gas block

8252.jpg

8253.jpg

JP just released a new gas block

Saw that in the new product email the other day from JP... Finger and tool adjustable, external detent mechanism that hopefully won't carbon foul, low profile and should fit inside most hand guards.

I'd like to try one but all 4 of my JPs have the older profile barrels with .936 gas blocks, and they don't make the new gas block in .936 yet.

Guess I'll stick with the SLR gas blocks I have on there until I rebarrel the uppers... The SLRs work fine anyways. Just have to run them from full closed to full open every couple hundred rounds so the adjuster screw doesn't carbon lock and then break when you try to force it because you were too impatient to wait until you got home to soak it with penetrating oil or C4 carbon remover.

Reactions: TheHorta
    I've used most of the ones listed except for the new JP. 52 clicks of adjustment is just stupid. I do like the detents are on the circumference. It's a functional improvement over the old version, the number of adjustment clicks notwithstanding. The POF dictator gas block is likely more reliable long-term due to the large adjustment "pin" being more resistant to erosion long-term. And 12 clicks is more than enough adjustment for ejection perfection.

I hated the SA gas blocks due to the large number of adjustments, no real marker for going from normal to bleed mode and the tiny hex wrench needed for adjustment. Yes they worked but they will lock up if you don't use the adjustment periodically.

I still like the Riflespeed for tool-less adjustment overall although it's not without one or two warts itself. I find when new, they tend to bind and lock up way too easy to the point adjustment isn't possible at all. Takes a bit to loosen up allowing adjustment when hot. It's happened to all three of mine and I use plenty of lube. Once broken in, they're very easy to use. The 12-click range, if using the right pin, is more than enough for something like 300 blackout, supers and subs, with the adjustment range falling within the same 12 clicks. My 8" 300 blackout uses 7 clicks between supers and subs. Each click is numbered clearly so there's no guessing. The adjustment pins are too expensive for what they are but that's capitalism.

Choosing bleed off or restrictive on the superlative arms block is done when the gas block is first adjusted. It's in the instructions. You turn the adjustment out X number of clicks. Then when you adjust, you turn the screw in if you want restrictive and out if you want to adjust via bleed off.

Noveske switch block if you are wanting to run suppressed and unsuppressed. I have the slr 7 on my 10.5” 5.56, if I run unsuppressed it’s a pain in the ass to get the Allen wrench out and adjust, same thing when I put the can back on. So I just leave my can on and only remove for cleanings.

Choosing bleed off or restrictive on the superlative arms block is done when the gas block is first adjusted. It's in the instructions. You turn the adjustment out X number of clicks. Then when you adjust, you turn the screw in if you want restrictive and out if you want to adjust via bleed off.

I was not a fan of the bleed off on a proof barrel. You can notice where the bleed off was beginning to burn the cf.

Last edited:
    I was not a fan of the bleed off on a proof barrel. You can notice where to bleed off was beginning to burn the cf.
    I set mine on bleed off because it says it won't seize that way. It would be bummer to burn a hole in a CF barrel. It won't burn a hole in steel though. 🤣🤣

I was surprised how the far the adjustment screw sticks out when adjusting for bleed off shooting suppressed. I have another I was going to put on my grendel. I wonder if it will be able to bleed off enough to shoot suppressed or if I will need to adjust for restrictive.

SLR
    Superlative
    JP
    And a bajillion others…

I just wanna know who makes the best GB for mixed use / mixed caliber / suppressed, unsuppressed, 5.56, 300BLK, ARC, etc…

Small frame and large frame recommends as well.

Aero gas blocks are surprisingly good and reasonably priced. The adjustment is longer than an SLR so don't use one with an 11.5" Mid gas. On that same topic, the SLR AGB is shorter than pretty much all of the rest.

Well sure but it's still a pain especially when you decide to go between restrictive and bleed off in the field for testing purposes because some guy on YouTube recommended bleed mode with a suppressor and you're counting 45 f*cking clicks at a gun range while the dude next to you is doing mag dumps with a 10.5" and muzzle brake. And then you're never really sure just exactly where you are unless you bottom it out either way and start counting clicks again. Was that a click or was it a bit of debris? That felt like half a click at the beginning, do I count it? Meanwhile your gun buddy on the right knows what you're doing and starts screaming out random numbers to throw you off. Loads of fun. I used them for years and will never pull out a hex wrench for gas adjustment again. I might be a bit bitter and embellishing a bit but you get the picture.

I will say of all the hex wrench adjustables I tried, I "liked" the SA the most but it was a love hate relationship or the aforementioned reasons. And yes, finding the adjustment screw and getting that long ass hex wrench in there can be difficult depending on your hand guard/muzzle device setup. If suppressed, it'll likely need to be removed before making adjustments.

It can of course go the other way. My Sig LT piston only has two settings, over gassed and over gassed. Super easy to set that one up.

I dont understand why they seem to put as many angles, irregular surfaces, grooves, notches, and anti-symmetrical shapes anywhere they can. Of all the gas blocks i have the JP is the most difficult to work with, I do have the older one though, but this looks just as stupid. there isnt a flat surface on it, cant clamp it anywhere, cant set it against anything to get the pin out.... not easily anyway. Threw mine in a bin and bought a Riflespeed... 1000 times better. No need for 52 clicks, the 12 on the Riflespeed are perfect.

Do any of these not carbon lock after a while? Everyone I have is locked up after a full day of shooting. I can adjust them out but not in any further.

Well sure but it's still a pain especially when you decide to go between restrictive and bleed off in the field for testing purposes because some guy on YouTube recommended bleed mode with a suppressor and you're counting 45 f*cking clicks at a gun range while the dude next to you is doing mag dumps with a 10.5" and muzzle brake. And then you're never really sure just exactly where you are unless you bottom it out either way and start counting clicks again. Was that a click or was it a bit of debris? That felt like half a click at the beginning, do I count it? Meanwhile your gun buddy on the right knows what you're doing and starts screaming out random numbers to throw you off. Loads of fun. I used them for years and will never pull out a hex wrench for gas adjustment again. I might be a bit bitter and embellishing a bit but you get the picture.

I will say of all the hex wrench adjustables I tried, I "liked" the SA the most but it was a love hate relationship or the aforementioned reasons. And yes, finding the adjustment screw and getting that long ass hex wrench in there can be difficult depending on your hand guard/muzzle device setup. If suppressed, it'll likely need to be removed before making adjustments.

It can of course go the other way. My Sig LT piston only has two settings, over gassed and over gassed. Super easy to set that one up.
    Well the decision to count all the clicks was yours i guess. Its not the way i would go about it. It's like counting 100 clicks to adjust for 1000 yards rather than using your larger reference points on your turrets to adjust them faster.

It's easy. Turn it all the way in, then four and half turns out is wide open, no bleed off. We can even use our free hand to help keep count, for all of us who have at least 4.5 fingers.

Was it a click or debris? Well did the wrench turn a quarter turn? If yes It's a click then. What kind of debris are getting all over your gas block?

Last edited:
    Do any of these not carbon lock after a while? Everyone I have is locked up after a full day of shooting. I can adjust them out but not in any further.
    Superlative arms says theirs doesn't in bleed off mode. I have click adjustable from Optics planet that is 52 dollars. It was a little stiff after 400 and some rounds of 6 arc. I dripped some CLP on the sdjustment screw head and wiggled it back forth a little and it broke loose and turned easily.

Every single click adjusted needle valve gas block will carbon lock with enough use. The needle has to have clearance to move and carbon accumulates in the clearance. It doesn't matter how much money you spend. Adjustable gas blocks aren't perfect and they aren't appropriate for every application.

Every single click adjusted needle valve gas block will carbon lock with enough use. The needle has to have clearance to move and carbon accumulates in the clearance. It doesn't matter how much money you spend. Adjustable gas blocks aren't perfect and they aren't appropriate for every application.
    Kinda what I figured. I'm not much for maintenance with gassers so I just tailor my reloads to where it ends up locking at.

Kinda what I figured. I'm not much for maintenance with gassers so I just tailor my reloads to where it ends up locking at.

I'm a bit of a broken record on this but here it is again. YHM makes gas blocks with undersized gas ports. You can buy sized bits from McMaster-Carr and drill the port to the appropriate size for your use. It isn't for everyone, and takes some effort, but it is one possible solution for a long term durable gassing strategy without the compromise of additional added weight or moving parts.

Reactions: M4orturnate
    You could always develop the loads, set the gas block, then live happily ever after. Not sure why people who prefer non adjustable gas blocks can't live with adjustable gas blocks that naturally turn into non adjustable gas blocks.

Reactions: bfoosh006
    You could always develop the loads, set the gas block, then live happily ever after. Not sure why people who prefer non adjustable gas blocks can't live with adjustable gas blocks that naturally turn into non adjustable gas blocks.
    That's pretty much what I do but sometimes I like to try different powders or bullets weights and that always changes how it's gassed and recoil impulse. No biggie really tho

Reactions: TonyTheTiger

People have to endlessly fiddle with shit. This thread is about the best market option for fiddling with shit that shouldn't be fiddled with. Yeah yeah yeah, there's some use cases on the periphery but largely adjusting gas blocks happens once or twice and then almost never again.

I rarely shoot unsuppressed. Only reason I would is to check POI shift between Sup/Unsup or to determine if a malfunction is being caused by a can on a new gun. Otherwise, loud guns are for heathens and I ain’t no heathen.

In other words, any gas block will likely be “set it and forget it” once it has found its happy thot.

I rarely shoot unsuppressed. Only reason I would is to check POI shift between Sup/Unsup or to determine if a malfunction is being caused by a can on a new gun. Otherwise, loud guns are for heathens and I ain’t no heathen.

In other words, any gas block will likely be “set it and forget it” once it has found its happy thot.
    Then buy a $50 Wojtek, Seekins, Aero etc. set it and forget it. No need to spend twice that on a future non adjustable gas block.

Ya, but I'm still not complaing if next I need to turn that screw its not locked up. I like the detent blocks better because the lock screw on the other type of adjustable block never really works. The best luck I have had with with them was staking the adjustment screw in place. Also not gonna complain if the old gas block makes a transition onto a new barrel.

Aero gas blocks are surprisingly good and reasonably priced. The adjustment is longer than an SLR so don't use one with an 11.5" Mid gas. On that same topic, the SLR AGB is shorter than pretty much all of the rest.

I found the complete opposite to be true regarding the aero ones.

It noticeably leaked the most gas, the adjustment screw thread was bad enough where it didnt always have an audible click, and the feel you get when turning the adjustment each 90 degree increment on the superlative arms, was simply not there on the Aero.

I don't think I'd ever buy one again.

It noticeably leaked the most gas, the adjustment screw thread was bad enough where it didnt always have an audible click, and the feel you get when turning the adjustment each 90 degree increment on the superlative arms, was simply not there on the Aero.

I have not had any issues with my slr 7 suppressed full time. I like the flat spring and the adjustment screw with the flats on it.

This is the info from the manual for the new JP

CARBON BUILDUP

Carbon buildup on the D2 Series gas blocks will be less of a problem compared to other gas blocks because the adjustment mechanism is largely external. If the adjustment screw becomes fouled internally, the adjustment nut can be turned with a significant amount of torque using a 5/32 hex key or screw driver. A half turn back and forth on the screw should clean out some of the buildup and return normal function. A small amount of oil on the adjustment screw will also help prevent buildup and extend time between cleanings.

We recommend turning the adjustment screw back and forth about a half turn every 500-1000 rounds to remove carbon fouling. Periodically, you may find that a more thorough cleaning of the adjustment screw is required. The most repeatable way we have found is to turn the screw all the way in, counting the number of clicks, until it bottoms out. The screw can then be removed for cleaning without losing any small parts since they are captured within the gas block.

To remove the adjustment screw, turn the adjustment nut counter-clockwise until the screw backs out through the nut. Once the screw is cleaned, apply a small amount of oil, and reinstall into the nut and threading it back in by turning the adjustment nut clockwise. Then, simply back the screw out the same number of clicks you counted from your gas setting. This should leave the gas block tuned as it was before the maintenance.

I put one on an 18" 223 for my brother. The thing short stroked until we finally tried a diffrent gas block. Its ran fine ever since ditching the Aero gas block.

Reactions: AleksanderSuave
    Anybody used the seekins selectable adjustable gas block?

I’ll add another bad experience here.

I used their other style adjustable gas block, was a complete POS. It blew out the adjustment screw on “open”

They work well. The lever can be tough to reach with most handguards though.

I like the rifle speed better.

Reactions: AleksanderSuave