• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Anyone else here making knives?

Slambert008

OSOK
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2020
Fort Bragg, NC
I’ve been a maker for about 3-4 years now. I don’t have tons of experience and unfortunately I don’t get to heat and beat anymore now that I’m active duty. (Gave my coal forge away when I joined to a good friend). I do however have my propane forge and grinder here with me in NC and love building. I mainly do it for friends and through word of mouth. And I don’t care to sell a whole lot because I don’t like deadlines and timelines. But here is some of my work! Any other makers on here, I’d love to chat!
BBBBCD02-81CE-4F26-81BA-4ABB1C454A49.jpeg
2CBAA933-D71F-4BA2-B992-B1272ED5DA50.jpeg
3DB5B866-F478-4B6A-8216-FD8963300D29.jpeg
CC6CEBEF-BFB0-427A-8B70-4AF27BC967D7.jpeg
2103972E-E7B8-49DE-B873-0388B09B024C.jpeg
B60D255A-E1C8-4E00-BB23-DC5C83D47A3B.png
622CF7F5-6B15-4E2E-B059-E3C19B4C544F.jpeg
B6BD480C-D9A7-4B40-9699-694B4FB109B8.jpeg
BA6A5FE0-2407-4946-9E4D-CE6B27EF37BE.jpeg
6173B742-8262-473D-8C75-9FB843C70828.jpeg

Thank you! I’m working on my very first tomahawk right now. 1/4” 80crv2 steel. 9” OAL
Nice! Im really digging that fixed blade tanto! What kind of steel are you using and is there a finish on the blades? Some look like a black oxide.

Nice! Im really digging that fixed blade tanto! What kind of steel are you using and is there a finish on the blades? Some look like a black oxide.
I use O1, 80crv2, and I’m branching out into some 1095, and 1084. But I only use carbon steels. Don’t have the proper equipment/ kiln for heat treating stainless at the moment. The dark look is a forced patina. Done with acid etching. I’ve used some gun blue on them as well

How well does the edge hold up using carbon steel? Also, I'd like to purchase a fixed Tanto if your time and schedule would allow.

How well does the edge hold up using carbon steel? Also, I'd like to purchase a fixed Tanto if your time and schedule would allow.
I carry the leopard wood knife with the white splits in it daily, it’s only been sharpened once in over 6 months. It’s O1. Let me see what my time is looking like. I leave country in 2 months

I started making knives back in 2015. I initially wanted to get into long before that, but I detoured through the kydex world for several years instead.
Knives are my creative outlet now and it’s nice that it is a hobby that at least pays for itself. I don’t forge anything yet, strictly stock removal. It can be therapeutic to stand in front of the grinder for a while and not think about anything else.

Attachments

• E7913F27-1A26-4829-B711-C920D9F4D807.jpeg
    E7913F27-1A26-4829-B711-C920D9F4D807.jpeg
    745 KB · Views: 79
  • 1720B61E-F066-4840-9AED-0F67C7CA37B1.jpeg
    1720B61E-F066-4840-9AED-0F67C7CA37B1.jpeg
    911.6 KB · Views: 84
  • C17F6D49-BF1A-42A3-998F-13CF403C8E67.jpeg
    C17F6D49-BF1A-42A3-998F-13CF403C8E67.jpeg
    736.1 KB · Views: 84
  • B217F832-C064-4875-B58E-F2E858F83672.jpeg
    B217F832-C064-4875-B58E-F2E858F83672.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 72
  • FC46BD31-F0F5-4A14-BD85-2677CB3FCCCD.jpeg
    FC46BD31-F0F5-4A14-BD85-2677CB3FCCCD.jpeg
    651.8 KB · Views: 79
I started making knives back in 2015. I initially wanted to get into long before that, but I detoured through the kydex world for several years instead.
Knives are my creative outlet now and it’s nice that it is a hobby that at least pays for itself. I don’t forge anything yet, strictly stock removal. It can be therapeutic to stand in front of the grinder for a while and not think about anything else.
You have beautiful work! I really like the one in the second to last photo

Thanks! Your work is very nice as well. That’s my Happy Dagger, and has become my ‘flagship’ blade. It makes for a great edc/ defensive knife and people seem to really love it.
I completely feel you on the “business” side of making. I got to a point where I was overwhelmed with people wanting to order stuff and so I just quit taking orders for the most part. Now I mostly just make what I want to make and sell them. Not having anyone’s money in my hand makes the deadlines not be an issue.

Good looking blades....

Was talking to a guy here about building me something like this....

image.jpg

Sent him a couple of busted up Garand stocks to use the WWII walnut for the scales/handle.

I dont know things went tits up for some reason when it seemed things were going well.

Thanks! Your work is very nice as well. That’s my Happy Dagger, and has become my ‘flagship’ blade. It makes for a great edc/ defensive knife and people seem to really love it.
I completely feel you on the “business” side of making. I got to a point where I was overwhelmed with people wanting to order stuff and so I just quit taking orders for the most part. Now I mostly just make what I want to make and sell them. Not having anyone’s money in my hand makes the deadlines not be an issue.
Same here. I build stuff, and if people like it I sell it! But I do have a few orders. I never take deposits for that reason. If I finish it and they don’t want it, it’s usually easy enough for me just to sell it to someone else.

Do you have a page? Like Instagram or something

Reactions: jb326
Good looking blades....

Was talking to a guy here about building me something like this....

View attachment 7290458

Sent him a couple of busted up Garand stocks to use the WWII walnut for the scales/handle.

I dont know things went tits up for some reason when it seemed things were going well.
Thanks! And you had it all spec’d out for him I see. That’s not at all my style of building or I might take it on. But maybe you’ll find someone to do it for you one day! Did he send your Garand stocks back?

Those are some great looking knives. This is something that I’ve been interested in starting for a number of years, but I don’t have my own place, so I’ve been hesitant to start amassing the tools. (I think) I’d like to get into forging knives using coal or propane, but I don’t have a lot of mechanical background.

For those of you who make knives, especially the guys who are newer at it, what has the learning curve been like, and how has the cost been? Are you more inclined to purchase or use less expensive tools as you’re learning the art, or will those only lead to frustration, so might as well buy once, cry once?

Thanks, and keep posting the great pieces that you’re making.

Those are some great looking knives. This is something that I’ve been interested in starting for a number of years, but I don’t have my own place, so I’ve been hesitant to start amassing the tools. (I think) I’d like to get into forging knives using coal or propane, but I don’t have a lot of mechanical background.

For those of you who make knives, especially the guys who are newer at it, what has the learning curve been like, and how has the cost been? Are you more inclined to purchase or use less expensive tools as you’re learning the art, or will those only lead to frustration, so might as well buy once, cry once?

Thanks, and keep posting the great pieces that you’re making.
I have everything nice, except for a grinder. I will be buying a nice 2x72 in a year or so. I have multiple grinders but none compare to a 2x72 built specifically for knife bevel grinding. You can buy a decent propane forge for $2-300 or there are lots of DIY videos and forums online. The learning curve is different for everyone. But I believe every knife I produce is better than the last. Not saying 3-4 knives ago was pure sh$%, but I’m constantly learning new little tricks and techniques to make the final product that much better. The main advice I have is, just jump into it head first and get started on something. The long you wait, the longer it will take for you to “be good” at building knives.

My first purchase was an Atlas Knife Company single burner propane forge. And I love it. I’m limited to around 13” OAL blades. But it’s a very nice and consistent forge. Only upgrade I’d recommend to it is a proper high temp thermometer until you learn how to associate metal color with metal temperature

I will say this, the Hide Fighter Steve Woods made based on input from the forum is a pretty popular blade, it would be cool do another

WTK-HF-GN_RT%20copy.jpg

Hide K-Bar or something
That’s beautiful. And years beyond my skill. But, I don’t make a production knife either

I’ve been a maker for about 3-4 years now. I don’t have tons of experience and unfortunately I don’t get to heat and beat anymore now that I’m active duty. (Gave my coal forge away when I joined to a good friend). I do however have my propane forge and grinder here with me in NC and love building. I mainly do it for friends and through word of mouth. And I don’t care to sell a whole lot because I don’t like deadlines and timelines. But here is some of my work! Any other makers on here, I’d love to chat! View attachment 7290167View attachment 7290169View attachment 7290170View attachment 7290171View attachment 7290173View attachment 7290174View attachment 7290178View attachment 7290179View attachment 7290182View attachment 7290183
Very nice work well done.When I was a younger man I made quite a few custom knives and martial arts weapons but im not up to it anymore when I get a chance I will post some pics.

Reactions: Slambert008
Very nice work well done.When I was a younger man I made quite a few custom knives and martial arts weapons but im not up to it anymore when I get a chance I will post some pics.
Thank you! And I would love to see them. I like looking at other builders work more than my own.

Here is a bowie fighter I made about 20 years ago out of 1/4" D2 steel.My camera is not the best but the handle is a pretty emerald green.I like that camp ax your working on what kind of steel did you use ?

Attachments

• IMG_0494.jpeg
    IMG_0494.jpeg
    55.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0495.jpeg
    IMG_0495.jpeg
    67.9 KB · Views: 54
Reactions: jb326
Here is a bowie fighter I made about 20 years ago out of 1/4" D2 steel.My camera is not the best but the handle is a pretty emerald green.I like that camp ax your working on what kind of steel did you use ?
Thats an awesome looking knife. I’m using 80crv2

Thanks! And you had it all spec’d out for him I see. That’s not at all my style of building or I might take it on. But maybe you’ll find someone to do it for you one day! Did he send your Garand stocks back?

I bought a Randall Fireman.

It's like a stainless steel reinforcing bar with a sharp edge.

1586088753888.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Moose
I live just a handful of miles from a couple of Master Bladesmiths, Audra Draper (first female Master), and Ed Fowler. I have knives from each of them. Both are high carbon steel knives. Stainless steel working knives are for people who don't take care of their stuff. ;)

I live just a handful of miles from a couple of Master Bladesmiths, Audra Draper (first female Master), and Ed Fowler. I have knives from each of them. Both are high carbon steel knives. Stainless steel working knives are for people who don't take care of their stuff. ;)
You are correct there!

Slambert008 after looking at the ax you were making I dug these 2 mini axes I made out of A2 steel and they are 3/8" thick.They are some handy little bitches.

Attachments

• IMG_0496.jpeg
    IMG_0496.jpeg
    104.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0499.jpeg
    IMG_0499.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 30
Here are a couple of skinners that I made out of D2.

Attachments

• IMG_0501.jpeg
    IMG_0501.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 27
Here are a couple of skinners that I made out of D2.
All of those are nice. I bet the axes are handy. That’s why I’m wanting to build one. I don’t like buy store sold items like that anymore! I feel like they’re cheap and break easily.

Would you have any interest in making me a Molle compatible Kydex sheath for the Randall Fireman I posted ?

Or does anyone no anyone making good Kydex custom sheaths.

and truth be told I want some assurances I get my knife back if I have to send it to someone unknown. References and personal satisfaction experiences would be good to hear.

All of those are nice. I bet the axes are handy. That’s why I’m wanting to build one. I don’t like buy store sold items like that anymore! I feel like they’re cheap and break easily.
Thank's bro when you make something like the ax you are making you can make it customized to fit your hand and it feels like it is part of your hand when using it.There is also a-lot of self satisfaction in making it.Please keep me updated on your ax and take your time with it so it is a perfect fit for you.

Would you have any interest in making me a Molle compatible Kydex sheath for the Randall Fireman I posted ?

Or does anyone no anyone making good Kydex custom sheaths.

and truth be told I want some assurances I get my knife back if I have to send it to someone unknown. References and personal satisfaction experiences would be good to hear.
I understand that. I don’t make the sheaths but one of my really good buddies down the street makes them for me. You’re welcome to send it to me and I can get it done for you. I’ll PM you some credentials

Reactions: DIBBS
Thank's bro when you make something like the ax you are making you can make it customized to fit your hand and it feels like it is part of your hand when using it.There is also a-lot of self satisfaction in making it.Please keep me updated on your ax and take your time with it so it is a perfect fit for you.
I will for sure! I’m going to put it on my friends 2x72 for the initial grinds so it will look a little more professional! I’ll post pictures here

That 2x72 will take some steel off real quick make sure you got some water close to keep the heat down and away from your hands.And don't let that 2x72 grab that ax out of your hand and send it flying.I miss my 2x72 I use to use it to get all kinds of work done quickly.What handle material do you plan on using.

That 2x72 will take some steel off real quick make sure you got some water close to keep the heat down and away from your hands.And don't let that 2x72 grab that ax out of your hand and send it flying.I miss my 2x72 I use to use it to get all kinds of work done quickly.What handle material do you plan on using.
I plan on using G10 for the handle. Black with grey liners. Also going to put the same texture on it as that grey knife I posted in the OP. This 2x72 has variable speed. Never use it too high.

You are smart to make what YOU like and feel like building. I finally quit taking my knives to shows because no matter how many varieties of knives I took, I got more idiots making excuses why they didn't buy after fingering the knives... I could have 4 different blade lengths, four different colors of scabbards, and when someone would say, "I really was hoping for a 4.5" blade just like this one", I would pull a 4.5" blade from under the table, only to hear something like "yeah, but I wanted a scabbard with a little darker of brown for the leather.." I wish he would just say "I don't have the money", or "I'm not buying, I'm just looking today".

In any case, like you I finally settled on making what I wanted for the art and relaxation of making something. It was far more satisfying.

Reactions: Newbie2020
My wife’s grandfather made this from an old file in 1952 though. Pretty neat and I’ll keep it until I’m gone.
45A076E4-F744-4D01-BD5D-092CE0ABC10F.jpeg
34055E76-CB05-4695-9854-9DC260E97EEE.jpeg
6A555D23-8B5B-434B-A7C3-D36FF17D48C5.jpeg

Reactions: Genin and Moose
Knives seem to be very personal..

The user wants something very specific.

Likewise builders like to build with their ideal features in mind.

I like my knives to be pretty spartan, drop or working clip, a manageable size, pommel suitable for some light hammering, spine suitable for some battoning, 90 degree edges for striking a fire steel/fire starting.

The maker I was talking to had issues with some of my ideas, particularly the "hammering" of the pommel.

He took my ideas and came up with what would work with his skills/desires as a builder.

He came back with this....

knife.jpeg

My original sketch to compare...

image.jpg

If anything he added some bling to my spartan desires.

I liked it and we parted with an agreement if he built it Id buy it but than I never heard anymore so I kind of moved on. He builds really nice knives and I hope he is finding success. Who knows I may get contact one of these days stating "Hey your knife is done, pay me $X and Ill send it".

Just an interesting side note on how when it comes to knives the user/builder really have to be in unison on their ideas.

Last edited: