• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone going to Sturgis?

Maggot, you don't need any pictures of Bender's wife. I will tell you all you need to know about her.
I didn't work much, but was present at a work "party" where she and Bender were.
She is a beautiful person, body, heart, mind, and soul and can outwork this Old Fart. That's all you need to know.

As to Sturgis, when I was racing, in the 70s, Sturgis was an event you didn't want to miss. It was run by the Jackpine Gypseys IIRC and every able bodied man in town had a badge and they kept things on the straight and narrow except for Main St. and they did as best they could there.
We raced Shorttrack a couple of nights and 1/2 Mile a couple of days at the Fair grounds. and there was a Hillclimb and other events that didn't interest me much. There was also a TT event a time or two that I ran in.
The tracks were some of the best that you would come across. Well groomed and fast and smooth, and they paid good.
This was no Texas TT where the payout left with the promoter when the last racer signed up and they collected his entry fee.

The townies were good about letting racers stay in the horse barn south of the track and I did spend a few nights out at the VA baseball field in the dugouts.
You had to bring your own light bulbs but the juice was there.

Towards the end of my racing time the event got SO big that it was not about racing any more but had turned into a HUGE PARTY and Racing was secondary.

That is when I bailed, and I am not going back.

Other than a TT outside of some bar there, that was out in the boonies when I raced, I don't think they run any races such as they did when they started this event. I may be wrong on that.
All racing events have moved to Rapid City.

Maggot, you don't need any pictures of Bender's wife. I will tell you all you need to know about her.
I didn't work much, but was present at a work "party" where she and Bender were.
She is a beautiful person, body, heart, mind, and soul and can outwork this Old Fart. That's all you need to know

SIR Foul Mike. If somebody's gonna brag he's got a Trophy' yeah, we need a photo. I dont doubt she's a lovely lady, as no doubt is the charming Mrs. SIR Foul Mike, but to be absolutely certain Bender aint joshin us, we need a photo.

Photos of what? My asshole? What kinda perverse dude are you?

Come on Bend, you know I dont roll that way. Keep your asshole on the shitter. 😉 That which would be seen would never be unseen and you'd likely scar the Hide for life.

Lighten up on that SIR shit. My parents were married 2 years before I showed up.
Mrs. Bender is a beauty in every way.
My Squaw will either whip you or sit on you. If the later---
When you take that kind of a load your guts will pop out of your eyes.
I'm not saying she is big but sometimes it is easier to jump over than go around.

Are they going to run the TT this year? Will it be on TV?
Tuesday and Thursday. I can't find anything on it being televised, but I'd imagine someone or fifty will be live streaming it on Youtube, just a matter of finding who...

Despite the media's best efforts to monger COVID-related fear over this potential "SUPER SPREADER event" there have been about a whopping 120 documented cases after the gathering, across multiple states in the US.
Now some dipshit 63-page study released today from (of all places) California, suggests there was likely 260,000 ea cases:ROFLMAO: and cost the US 12 billion $.

I don't even want to link the steaming pile of horse crap, which could only have been written to generate clicks. W-O-W

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
Was there and I think they will spin it to whatever they want to to get the response they want.
We were with people from Wy., Mo., Ks., Ak., and a couple of other states and none of them have tested Pos., plus going to 4 concerts and no one has even a sniffle so F*** what they say

Here, I'll link to the actual scientific paper.
http://ftp.iza.org/dp13670.pdf

And here's the abstract:
Large in-person gatherings without social distancing and with individuals who have traveled outside the local area are classified as the “highest risk” for COVID-19 spread by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Between August 7 and August 16, 2020, nearly 500,000 motorcycle enthusiasts converged on Sturgis, South Dakota for its annual motorcycle rally. Large crowds, coupled with minimal mask-wearing and social distancing by attendees, raised concerns that this event could serve as a COVID-19 “super-spreader.” This study is the first to explore the impact of this event on social distancing and the spread of COVID-19. First, using anonymized cell phone data from SafeGraph, Inc. we document that (i) smartphone pings from non-residents, and (ii) foot traffic at restaurants and bars, retail establishments, entertainment venues, hotels and campgrounds each rose substantially in the census block groups hosting Sturgis rally events. Stay-at-home behavior among local residents, as measured by median hours spent at home, fell. Second, using data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and a synthetic control approach, we show that by September 2, a month following the onset of the Rally, COVID-19 cases increased by approximately 6 to 7 cases per 1,000 population in its home county of Meade. Finally, difference-in-differences (dose response) estimates show that following the Sturgis event, counties that contributed the highest inflows of rally attendees experienced a 7.0 to 12.5 percent increase in COVID-19 cases relative to counties that did not contribute inflows. Descriptive evidence suggests these effects may be muted in states with stricter mitigation policies (i.e., restrictions on bar/restaurant openings, mask-wearing mandates). We conclude that the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally generated public health costs of approximately $12.2 billion.

Of course, I'm not under any illusions that scientific research carries any weight here.

Reactions: Bender
That study also assumes that the ONLY reason for the increase in cases in those areas is because of the Rally. No mention of how many have been in the "protests". Second, they are extrapolating data based on reported cases in the city of Sturgis. The facts are that they offered 1300 free tests to the residents. Only 650 took the test. About 35 tested positive, nearly all were asymtomatic. Those are facts, not "estimates" like in this study
These studies are like polls. They take a little data and make it sound cataclysmic.

You should let them know then, because missing gaps in their methodology is important. Unless you think they did it all as part of some nefarious political plot?

No, they can publish anything they want, IDGAF. But just do the math-260,000 cases cost $12.2 billion. That's like $46K per case, on average.
When less than 10% of all that contract it end up being hospitalized, and less than 10% of those end up in ICU or worse, the number just don't add up.
For most that catch it, they're told to stay home and call the doctor if they get worse. Even if they get $1000 worth of presciptions, it seems pretty outrageous.
I'm not a scientist, or even an engineer, but I can do math, and it isn't adding up. Thing is, not many will take the time to do they math, they just regurgitate the study as fact

Yep, $46k per case is right there on page 30 of the paper, an estimate based on the Kniesner & Sullivan study:

If we conservatively assume that all of these cases were non-fatal, then these cases represent a cost of over $12.2 billion, based on the statistical cost of a COVID-19 case of $46,000 estimated by Kniesner and Sullivan (2020). This is enough to have paid each of the estimated 462,182 rally attendees $26,553.64 not to attend. This is by no means an accurate accounting of the true externality cost of the event, as it counts those who attended and were infected as part of the externality when their costs are likely internalized. 29 However, this calculation is nonetheless useful as it provides a ballpark estimate as to how large of an externality a single superspreading event can impose, and a sense of how valuable restrictions on mass gatherings can be in this context. Even if half of the new cases were attendees, the implied externality is still quite large. Finally, our descriptive evidence suggests that stricter mitigation policies in other locations may contribute to limiting externality exposure due to the behavior of non-compliant events and those who travel to them.

Of course, a week or two in the ICU can cost a lot more than $46k, so even a 10% ICU number would play a disproportionate role in the overall cost. Thing is, not many will take the time to read the paper, so they'll just regurgitate the study as false.

• Haha
Reactions: D1gger
Well, there you go. So when does the study of the Portland protests, the RNC protests, Minneapolis, Kenosha, etc. come out? They've also proven than a majority of those folks are out of state as well.
My point is, Sturgis alone, cannot be counted as the only cause for these cases. I see that you might have missed that.
I'm surely not going to read a 30 page paper (or more) when I can just argue on the internet in half the time-

Reactions: pmclaine