• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Anyone have an ANPEQ plus a light setup on their carbine/rifle?

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    Right now I have an ANPEQ 2A mounted on the right side of the rail on my AR carbine with the tape switch on the top rail so that I can activate the laser/illuminator with my thumb while in high ready/aiming. This is a general night hunting, home defense, tried & true AR I have.

Have been kicking the idea around about possibly getting a light on the carbine as well for when I am not using the ANPEQ or do not have NODS on. This has been a bit of a pro/con thing with me and wanted to see what others were doing. Was looking into something like a Surefire 600C in an offset mount or possibly the 620V but the V series looks huge and heavy especially with that bulky mount.

Anyways, here's what I've been kicking around. What I don't like is that an additional thing hanging off the rifle (I tend to try and keep it simple) will add weight and shift the weight balance a bit. I'm trying to imagine if I'd be able (or even should) keep the ANPEQ on the right side and the light on the left, or move the ANPEQ to the top and move the tape switch to the right rail. I'd just have the click cap on the light to actuate with my right thumb. Which way is better/smarter?

The benefit of having the light is there, yet am trying to see if its worth it or just another thing hanging off the rifle.

Any thoughts?

I have always run my lasers on the top rail right behind the front sight. Then using a Surefire 620 I always opt for a Travis Haley offset mount. I believe its called the Thorntail mount.
    It keeps everything nice and tight and with the addition of a dual use Surefire switch, it can all remain right there at your fingertips.

I have always run my lasers on the top rail right behind the front sight. Then using a Surefire 620 I always opt for a Travis Haley offset mount. I believe its called the Thorntail mount.
    It keeps everything nice and tight and with the addition of a dual use Surefire switch, it can all remain right there at your fingertips.

Was looking at the thorntail and either a 600U, 600c or the 620V but I think I ran into a problem.

The 620V looks huge and the mount is bulky as hell. The 600 u and c are roughly the same size and I believe you can remove the mount that they come with (correct me if I'm wrong). The problem I see is that if I move the ANPEQ2A to the top of the rail, I'm not sure a 600 in the thorntail would clear the ANPEQ (remember this is the 2A not the 15/16, so it a bit boxier).

Anyone know is this would work? Otherwise I'd have to keep the ANPEQ on the right side and the light offset on the left, which may actually work out better as far as balance and let me leave the tape switch for the ANPEQ on the top rail. This would then have me use my same hold on the rifle and then set the light up so that I can get to the tail clicker with my thumb by simply taking it off the ANPEQ switch.

I ran both overseas. Just run a b&c flip up cap on your white light, as a white light AD could be your last mistake, or in that case, get you kicked out of the unit.

Have you seen the new Wilcox units that do it all? Ir light, ir laser, day laser, and white light all in one package

Wilcox Raptor, been looking into it for the range finding capability.

PEQ on top as far forward as possible with the pressure pads in the gap between the top and side rails.

The x300 ultra is great but it looks like it's in between the BC 04 and 02A sizes. You could always mount the white light pressure switch in the same channel further toward the receiver to reduce AD.

Have you seen the new Wilcox units that do it all? Ir light, ir laser, day laser, and white light all in one package

Think its called the Raptor. I've seen it, but if I remember correctly the illuminator is Class 3. As I already have a Class 3 laser/illuminator, I'd probably only be in the market for a white light at this point.

I really like the offset flashlight mounts (the ones that hang below the rail a little) that allow you to engage the push button cap with your thumb. Mounted on the starboard side of the rifle, in unison with the Vert grip, it fits like a glove.
    How does one go about getting a PEQ-2,15, etc.?

I really like the offset flashlight mounts (the ones that hang below the rail a little) that allow you to engage the push button cap with your thumb. Mounted on the starboard side of the rifle, in unison with the Vert grip, it fits like a glove.

I have the ANPEQ on the starboard (right side) and was planning on putting the light on the left. Was considering moving the ANPEQ up top but dont think I will be able to get a correct hold on the foreend of my rifle.

Was looking at the thorntail and either a 600U, 600c or the 620V but I think I ran into a problem.

The 620V looks huge and the mount is bulky as hell. The 600 u and c are roughly the same size and I believe you can remove the mount that they come with (correct me if I'm wrong). The problem I see is that if I move the ANPEQ2A to the top of the rail, I'm not sure a 600 in the thorntail would clear the ANPEQ (remember this is the 2A not the 15/16, so it a bit boxier).

Anyone know is this would work? Otherwise I'd have to keep the ANPEQ on the right side and the light offset on the left, which may actually work out better as far as balance and let me leave the tape switch for the ANPEQ on the top rail. This would then have me use my same hold on the rifle and then set the light up so that I can get to the tail clicker with my thumb by simply taking it off the ANPEQ switch.

With the Haley mount its really not bulky at all. It stays as a nice tight package. I will post some pics.

You don't. They are a controlled item. You can get civilian versions being the DBAL D2 or I2.

You don't. They are a controlled item. You can get civilian versions being the DBAL D2 or I2.

you back out of here and go to the options section on the first page and buy the one for sale $1100.

you back out of here and go to the options section on the first page and buy the one for sale $1100.

A PEQ2A is some of the oldest technology there is for an IR pointer. The civilian versions I listed would still be better options. That D2 work really well for its ratings.

I was really just pointing out one for sale to the poster that inquired about it. Personally I prefer the ITL Israeli lasers like the AIM2000. They blow about anything I've used away and are compact dual beam laser. No illum tho.

as for the peq it is still very useful technology. The paq4 is the most antiquated of any

Last edited:
    A PEQ2A is some of the oldest technology there is for an IR pointer. The civilian versions I listed would still be better options. That D2 work really well for its ratings.

I know the PEQ2A is older, but from having looked at the DBAL D2, I am curious what makes you think it is better. Now Ill agree that the metal case and size of the DBAL as well as a visible laser are an instant bonus, but based on performance I see this:

The civ DBAL has a > 800yd rating on the IR illuminator wheras the 2A is listed at 2000 meters (not sure how exaggerated that is)
    The DBAL has a > 250yd rating on the IR laser (cant find the 2A rating) but its 50mw vs only .7

For a carbine at night, I can see the DBAL working and may go that route eventually. For a bolt gun at night in conjunction with a PVS22/24 I dont see the DBAL keeping up.

What am I missing as far as this? Trust me, would love to get a smaller unit on my carbine but have been happy with the 2A as the laser is very strong and the IR illuminator turns a hillside into daytime.

There is nothing wrong with a peq2 period. It's a tad bigger then new stuff.

As for the laser power and using it in conjunction with a pvs22/27/24 etc I hardly see the benefit unless you are guiding air on target or painting a target as a spotter for the shooter to engage. for the shooter You will have the laser zeroed to a specific distance and really have no option to adjust dope so in all the mega power lasers aren't all that necessary on my opinion not to mention the tell-tale of a laser to anyone else with nods.

I know the PEQ2A is older, but from having looked at the DBAL D2, I am curious what makes you think it is better. Now Ill agree that the metal case and size of the DBAL as well as a visible laser are an instant bonus, but based on performance I see this:

The civ DBAL has a > 800yd rating on the IR illuminator wheras the 2A is listed at 2000 meters (not sure how exaggerated that is)
    The DBAL has a > 250yd rating on the IR laser (cant find the 2A rating) but its 50mw vs only .7

For a carbine at night, I can see the DBAL working and may go that route eventually. For a bolt gun at night in conjunction with a PVS22/24 I dont see the DBAL keeping up.

What am I missing as far as this? Trust me, would love to get a smaller unit on my carbine but have been happy with the 2A as the laser is very strong and the IR illuminator turns a hillside into daytime.

I am not saying its a bad piece of gear. Im saying it is old school technology in a new school world. You never mentioned a bolt gun in your original setup, you said carbine. I am speaking in a carbine language right now. Bolt gun is a totally different device. Inside of 400 yards the DBAL-D2 is excellent for something any of us can go buy off the shelf. Not many people will have an opportunity to purchase a PEQ2A. I ran one for a few months, years ago. For its size it was not impressive. That is my opinion. When I evaluate a piece of gear for use with a carbine I immediately want to see its characteristics for indoor use. Since that is where they are primarily utilized and tested. But for us folks that might hunt with them I tend to limit the distance of my shots for what the NV gear is rated for. Anything past that and you are almost guessing. If your gear is rated for it and you feel confident, do it.

The DBAL-D2 was never marketed as a bolt gun illuminator. If you want something that really can light up an area for NV use, call TNVC and order The TORCH.

There is nothing wrong with a peq2 period. It's a tad bigger then new stuff.

As for the laser power and using it in conjunction with a pvs22/27/24 etc I hardly see the benefit unless you are guiding air on target or painting a target as a spotter for the shooter to engage. for the shooter You will have the laser zeroed to a specific distance and really have no option to adjust dope so in all the mega power lasers aren't all that necessary on my opinion not to mention the tell-tale of a laser to anyone else with nods.

But for us that hunt with them or just enjoy shooting at night..... we dont care if the other guys have NODs. Most if the laser pointers are to help get others attention to a target. I have done a lot of shooting with these units attached to bolt guns and carbines and I will be the first to say they are not precise. That dot zeroed at 100 yards looking thru 12-15x scopes are large and fuzzy. Not ideal for being precise. Primarily they are used as pointers or attention getters. If you are using these lasers as an aiming solution then you are not doing much in the precision department. Primarily I think people run these units for the HO option on the illuminator side. I have some units that are so bright you cant turn them on indoors with NVG's on.

Kys I think we're pretty much saying the same thing. I don't feel the need 90% of the time for the ultra high power laser. They bloom and obstruct the target too much in my experience. I feel they have little purpose on a precision rifle other then as a target designator or possibly as a danger close aiming point if shit went bad.

now as far as using them as illum tools that's a different story and there are other options for illum as you said that are not tube friendly at any closer distances.

Last edited:
    I agree. But we still can agree the PEQ2A is old news... it still works but I believe in efficiency and paying the normal asking price for one (because of their exclusivity) is absurd when you can get something half the size and nearly as productive for a carbine setup. :D

I would agree with that. There are other options.

How does the illum of the d2 compare to the peq units?

For civilian purchase...... its probably the best out there. Meaning you can call any retailer and order one. I would not hesitate to use it on my carbines :)

I'm using this on a couple rifles. Small, IR, has a safety block over the switch. Only 150 bucks, works pretty good.
    Switch for IR or White LED

WML White/IR - Carbon Black | Weapon Mounted Light | Infrared Weapon Light | INFORCE®

We bought a bunch for this last trip over and only had one fail. Not bad since I've seen a shitload more surefires shit the bed than these things.
    Inforce sent a new one out immediately, fwiw. Pretty good customer service

But for us that hunt with them or just enjoy shooting at night..... we dont care if the other guys have NODs. Most if the laser pointers are to help get others attention to a target. I have done a lot of shooting with these units attached to bolt guns and carbines and I will be the first to say they are not precise. That dot zeroed at 100 yards looking thru 12-15x scopes are large and fuzzy. Not ideal for being precise. Primarily they are used as pointers or attention getters. If you are using these lasers as an aiming solution then you are not doing much in the precision department. Primarily I think people run these units for the HO option on the illuminator side. I have some units that are so bright you cant turn them on indoors with NVG's on.

Yep, for bolt the illuminator is the key part. I dont use the laser to aim as its set at a specific range, and if Im in my reticle, why screw with setting the laser? Only thing Id use it for is if I needed to point something out for someone else. The illuminator however can be somewhat centered and the 'beam' can be open and closed a ways to compensate for shorter/longer ranges. This is why I like a Class 3 on the bolt.

As far as carbine, you are right. The civ DBAL will work fine because in the dark with unmagnified optics, using a pvs14 abd a carbine, anything past 200 or so yards just gets fuzzier the further out you go. While you can obviously go further, theres better/different equipment for it.

I may end up keeping the PEQ2A on my bolt gun and using the more compact DVAL on my carbine at night. Its one of those things you wish you could try for a night or 2 before buying to see how you like it.