• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone having any luck with the Bear Creek arsenal 223 wylde barrels ? If so, please share load data..

vincent7

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2019
Been trying to get a 1:* 20" stainless 223 wylde barrel from BCA to shoot. It seems to be quite a fussy pipe, and so far it surprisingly seems to favor the lighter projectiles over the 68-77 ones i tried.

About 150 rounds in, nothing weird seen when i borescoped it, all installed right, decent glass, but struggling to get it under 2 moa.

Perhaps some of you have found the magic combo for yours, and if so i would like to know so i can try that load in this barrel :)

Cheers!

Been trying to get a 1:* 20" stainless 223 wylde barrel from BCA to shoot. It seems to be quite a fussy pipe, and so far it surprisingly seems to favor the lighter projectiles over the 68-77 ones i tried.

About 150 rounds in, nothing weird seen when i borescoped it, all installed right, decent glass, but struggling to get it under 2 moa.

Perhaps some of you have found the magic combo for yours, and if so i would like to know so i can try that load in this barrel :)

Cheers!

Did the 150 rounds of match ammo cost more than the barrel you’re trying to unfuck?

Reactions: Jsp556 and Gasgun
I would say the next step is remove the barrel and purchase something at least at the Ballistic Advantage level if not up to a White Oak barrel. You would probably come out ahead by the time you figure you ammo and time on your current barrel

In my experience, they work quite well as tomato stakes. That's only a sample of one but I wouldn't waste time and energy to test a second!

Point taken :)

Am new to the ar platform, been a learning experience so far. Am good with bolt actions, wanted to try a gasser.

Perhaps somebody had / has some luck with them, would be wort a shot to try soem load recommendations.

As for time spend, that's ok, learning this new system in the process, and haven't put that much money in reloads, but i see what you guys mean.

I'll fart around with it a little while longer, and if not then i'll go for a higher end barrel.

Honestly, 2 MOA is about what you paid for... ( seriously, no offense intended at all )

If it is being that fussy, and I have a barrel like that as well... I ended out accepting it for what it is.. a 1n7 20" Wlyde Chambered barrel that only likes less then 69gr bullets.

I use it at the 100, 200, and 300yd ranges. I mean practice at those ranges, is important as well.

I don't have enough time to tune a load to a barrel anymore... but Aust. Outback 55gr BlitzKing ammo ( At Global Ordnance, and a BOGO deal ) is very good from it. Managing just under 1 MOA 5rd groups.

And don't mind the curt answers... its just that lower priced barrels have far less of a chance of being fairly accurate... and as mentioned, typically folks spend the difference between a "good" brand barrel and a "probably" not barrel on ammo, just trying to make the lesser barrel shoot.

So you will see the mantra , "Buy once, cry once" frequently.

Reactions: Back Spin
No offense taken from anyone. :)(y)

I'm having a good time figuring this new to me platform out. So, while trying this thing to shoot i'm also learning how to build and ar, adjust gas, buffers, springs, how to hold the thing, and how it all relates to one another.

I rather get a good understanding of this gun with a cheapo barrel, then to put this round count directly on a premium barrel. Barrel costed me $80 bucks, range brass is free, all the components were cheap ( collected from sales over the years) so i'm about $100-$140 in on this experiment. I'm ok with that.

Have a BHW barrel and a BCM upper receiver laying here, waiting for Noveske to finally send me the ordered rails, and then i'll try that BHW barrel.

Haven't given up up that bear creek barrel yet though...;)

I don't know anything useful about BCA, but if it just doesn't shoot and you bought it direct, will they let you send it back? they may swap it out for you?

After the barrel, aside from the shooter, the trigger is probably the second most important factor to consider for accuracy. Its amazing how much a difference a trigger can make if the puller is on his game.

I own a BCA barrel in 223 wylde that i had chopped down to 12.5” to run on my sbr lower. Its suppressed 100% of the time and is my training gun that only sees drills and tactical training. So i do not shoot groups or expect 1/2moa from the gun... what i will say is i have a friend who bought a barrel from them, its a 16” 556 I believe. When he put together the gun the accuracy was not good, actually fairly worse that what your seeing. He made contact with them and was able to return it and get another fairly easily. I know he did not have to buy another barrel but im not sure how the shipping went. They just requested a few pics of the targets that the barrel had shot along with distance and whatnot.. if your not happy reach out to them and they should help you.

In the same week I bought a Bear Creek barrel for $70 shipped for a blinker and a $200 White Oak barrel to rebarrel a match rifle. Just depends on expectations.

Ballistic Advantage will take care of its customers as well. I had one of there barrels that would not group, sent an email with pictures of groups from several loads and factory loaded ammunition. I got shipping notification from them. They sent the replacement barrel BEFORE I shipped back the bad barrel. They also covered all shipping costs.

I have a BHW barrel I am still in the process of sorting out. I have close to 100 rounds through it now.

Was wondering when the first 'mexarican' comment was going to be made... Took longer then i thought...

Sent them an email just before the weekend, will let you know if / when i hear back.

I've always heard BA has great customer service. Which all in, is good for the minimal margin of their products. I wouldn't be surprised if they just replace it.

Just sent my last email to Bear creek before i call, see if they stand behind their 1 MOA claim...

See emails below and attached pics. Tried again today. I give up. 2 moa at the very best.

Norma brass, tac, h335, cfe223, cci mag primer, non mag primer, remington br primer, s&b primer, hornady vmax 50,53,55,68, sierra 55, 60, 69, nosler 69 and 77, different oal's, scopes, you name it.

Sent email 6 days ago, zero input.

Thanks, Vincent

Attachments

• bear1.jpeg
    bear1.jpeg
    363.1 KB · Views: 101
  • bear 2.jpeg
    bear 2.jpeg
    302.8 KB · Views: 85
  • bear 3.jpeg
    bear 3.jpeg
    322 KB · Views: 112
  • bear 4.jpeg
    bear 4.jpeg
    488.5 KB · Views: 65
Well, they got back to me, with a nice email i have to say (y)

Let's see if the replacement is better...

Reactions: black5.3
Your groups look alot like my groups with a bca barrel. I think mine is a 5.56 chamber 1:9.
Best I’ve done is 1.4 moa with 55gr nosler varmageddon and 26.7gr of cfe-223.
SD was terrible though. And it has been for every load I’ve tried.
My 6.5 Grendel barrel from BCA has been a good shooter with certain loads. Not so much with factory ammo.
I think their barrel quality is just inconsistent.
I don’t think I’ll buy one again.

Good luck with the replacement!

Had a buddy ask me to look over and test fire his BCA build because he said it wouldn't group. After inspecting it, I was able to fire several very nice 6-8" groups with it with several different kinds of ammo. I'd highly recommend one!

And then toss it in the garbage

I don't have any experience with their 223 barrels. I did buy a 50 Beouwulf upper on sale there. Shooting factory 350 grain Underwoods, it has been about 1.5 moa so far. Not expecting much for that size of bullet, so have been impressed so far.

Decided to get their $44.66 shipped 16" 7.62x39 barrel instead (sale, now $51.99 plus shipping), and the crappy 223 barrel is going to be refunded.

Shot the 7.62x39 today, and it's shooting GREAT! Really happy with that one, a moa barrel at under $50 :)

Last edited:
I've had mixed results with BCA stuff. My first 223 Wylde barrel shot very well, probably 1 moa with factory 68gr ammo, I ordered a 458 socom barrel and that was a joke. It wouldn't chamber ammo and the gas port was messed up, I had to polish the chamber and open the gas port up to get the barrel to function, my latest purchase was a 10.5" 5.56 barrel, I bought it as a complete upper and the gas block was defective. The customer service is very friendly and will work with you to refund or try to fix any issues. But I've had issues with pretty much everything I've got from them so take that as you will.

Excuse me; but what is a 1:" twist?

Greg
He typed "1:*", which I would interpret as 1:8 because * is the upper case of 8.

I got an AR Stoner stainless fluted .223 Wylde barrel that I believe was actually made by Bear Creek. Aside from making a decent tomato stake, it also works well to prop open the garage door or beat the wife.

If I ever buy anything from them, it will only be side-charger parts.

Reactions: Dski48