• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Anyone in North East PA help me bed an action?

JelloStorm

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2010
Northeast Pennsylvania
Hey everyone,

I have a McMillan HTG stock coming to me in a few weeks from JWPrecision and I need to bed a R700 barreled action, however I've never done this and would like to do it under the guidance of an experienced watchful eye.

It has the pillars machined in, so no worries there. I'd like to bed the action and also the bottom metal.

I'll probably use Devcon since Marine Tex isn't available on Midway USA.

I'm in Northeast PA near where I-81 and I-80 intersect

Re: Anyone in North East PA help me bed an action?

Two things. Marine Tex is sold at many boating stores like U. S Boats and some marinas. IMHO I would let a smith bed the rifle. More than one person has glued a rifle to a stock, only to be taken apart with a grinder, at the cost of the stock. Or at least practice the first time on a not critical (and less expensive) stock.

Good luck

Jerry

Jerry,
Easiest way to remove a glued in stock is to put an Iron on top of the action on a warm or low high setting for about 15 minutes or longer . While heating it put some cardboard shims inbetween the barrel channel and barrel an push up by increasing shim thickness and wait for the POP. Saved stock and no damage except to your ego for forgetting to put release agent on action. I never did it but heard about it.

You don't learn anything by sending it off to a smith.

I might just bed my 17 HMR for starters.

Do you have to use release agent? Or will turtle wax on the receiver work?

Turtlewax, Neutral Kiwi shoe polish, etc.

Even heard of some using Hornady One Shot case lube.

I've personally used the Neutral Kiwi with perfect results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wards75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Turtlewax, Neutral Kiwi shoe polish, etc.

I've personally used the Neutral Kiwi with perfect results. </div></div>

Instead of release agent, or in addition to release agent?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JelloStorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wards75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Turtlewax, Neutral Kiwi shoe polish, etc.

I've personally used the Neutral Kiwi with perfect results. </div></div>

Instead of release agent, or in addition to release agent? </div></div>

Case lube as release agent is what he is referring to. Kiwi neutral is all I use. I apply it, let it dry and buff it down. Works slick as a gut & I have yet to have one stick.

On a side note, use WD40 and plenty of rags cleaning up the excess. Does a bang up job and won't eat away your release agent. Gives super results and clean show lines.

I'm in South East PA and I have my first bedding job curing right now. I'll let you know how it goes. You may not want my help.

Brownells makes an AMAZING release agent by the way, but yes wax works very well. Personally, i use brownells release agent on everything then use wax on all of my treads, there is nothing worse then having your bedding material lock onto your threads! Using inletting guide screws to line it up and surgical tubing or a bike tube to strap it down as tight as you can get it! I have never tried using wd40 for help with clean up but I have heard it works well. when you go to remove your barreled action, remove EVERYTHING before you try to knock it out or else you run the risk of breaking your stock, seen it happen one to many times, thank goodness it has never happened to me... wrap your hand around the forgrip and barrel and hold it firm but not tight then keep your thumb in the back of the action lifting up, it is important that it all comes up evenly! lay the barrel flat on your bench and tap firmly but by no means hard and if u released it correctly it should lift out nicely! If you have any questions on this I am a student at Lassen Gunsmithing college and would love to help answer them for you the best that I can!
Your local gunsmithing student

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jerry,
Easiest way to remove a glued in stock is to put an Iron on top of the action on a warm or low high setting for about 15 minutes or longer . While heating it put some cardboard shims inbetween the barrel channel and barrel an push up by increasing shim thickness and wait for the POP. Saved stock and no damage except to your ego for forgetting to put release agent on action. I never did it but heard about it. </div></div>

Marine Tex is some hard shit. Never used it on a rifle, but have on many boats. Did I mention that it is hard.

Good luck

Jerry

Well put 10xbuilder.

Thank you,

Merlinn

Do not use Turtle Wax! It has a detergent in it that messes with the bedding. Ask me how I know....
Anyway, just use Kiwi natural shoe polish and you'll be fine. I've bedded 2 HS Precision stocks and they both turned out perfect. I used JB Weld instead of Devcon.