• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone know why- NORMA 9MM AMMO 108 GRAIN MHP

50rod

Weber Customs
Supporter
Minuteman
May 18, 2013
Kila Montana
www.webercustoms.com
Palmetto state armory has

NORMA 9MM AMMO 108 GRAIN MHP 20RDS on sale for $6.99 a box, normally $24.99. Everyone else on line is out of stock. I called Norma to see if they were discontinuing it, they said "no, its a great seller, just can't make it fast enough". I must be missing something.​

Not expanding OR under expanding are the negatives I've read about. Bare gel is a poor indicator in most tests. It seems the denim test plugs up the HP and the lower weight slows the penetration. I was also interested because I normally like the monolithic theory but I will shy away after I read up on the subject.

Reactions: 50rod
Not expanding OR under expanding are the negatives I've read about. Bare gel is a poor indicator in most tests. It seems the denim test plugs up the HP and the lower weight slows the penetration. I was also interested because I normally like the monolithic theory but I will shy away after I read up on the subject.
Thanks for the input! The short search I did seamed to show that the expansion was good. Can you post a link or two of what you found about the expansion/weight problems?

this is one, there are more

I don't know if it's that guy's gun, the ammo, or his chronograph, but his velocity numbers are a lot lower than what I saw. I bought several boxes of this stuff from PSA and ran it over the chrono a few weeks ago, and it was pretty close to the speed claimed on the box - around 1,400 fps or so.

As with any ammo that expands really wide, penetration with this bullet seems a little shallow in my own testing, although fairly similar to the old Win Silvertips and the Barnes 115gr copper hollow points.

I agree, the bare gelatin tests really aren't "real world" tests obviously but I wonder how these would perform if they were 124-147gr. projectile rather than the HV 108's?? I do like the solid copper theory for some mostly rifle bullets.
I saw real world examples of how crappy the silvertips which I thought were awesome way back in the 80's, we had a local deputy ventilate a bad guy with a 4" almost point blank .357 and he survived a shot to the lung that literally disintegrated no exit, saw the xray myself. I believe the old ST 357 was 125gr.?? Totally changed the way I looked at the ST rounds. Once the Black Talon round came out, for all the other mfg.s it was game on for the race to the top. I personally like the HST but the Rangers aren't slouches either. Just not a fan of light/fast in pistol calibers.

I don't know if it's that guy's gun, the ammo, or his chronograph, but his velocity numbers are a lot lower than what I saw. I bought several boxes of this stuff from PSA and ran it over the chrono a few weeks ago, and it was pretty close to the speed claimed on the box - around 1,400 fps or so.

As with any ammo that expands really wide, penetration with this bullet seems a little shallow in my own testing, although fairly similar to the old Win Silvertips and the Barnes 115gr copper hollow points.
I didn't watch that particular video, but the guy normally runs a Labradar for velocity testing plus he has a Chrony in front of the gel contraption.

Keith