• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone on a Keto diet? I'll probably die, but oh well.

Another helpful tip I used. I love ice cream but it is really high in carbs. So instead now I take heavy whipping cream and a favorite frozen fruit for me its blue berry's and put them together in a bowl and hand mix if you stir long enough it turns in to almost a ice cream texture and is really good.
That sounds great.

We have chocolate cheese, at our Hyvee market. It is just cheese and cocoa. Tastes just like fudge. great on its own, it is best kept in the freezer, and can be eaten straight out of it.

A real treat my wife came up with is to take a couple slices of the chocolate cheese, put home made whip cream on it (just heavy cream, whipped), and then top it with a few blueberries and strawberries, or some raspberries and blackberries. It is pretty incredible, and a real summer treat.

I know the cheese thing sounds weird, but it is totally legit. If you don't tell someone what it is, they just say that it is nice fudge, not too thick.

Down to 183.5 # since first post.

Ive got the tight body of a svelte grade school boy......

My wife must feel like a 5th grade science teacher outed in the Daily Mail for banging her students.

I think my penis appears larger due to the shrinking gunt.

Down to 183.5 # since first post.

Ive got the tight body of a svelte grade school boy......

My wife must feel like a 5th grade science teacher outed in the Daily Mail for banging her students.

I think my penis appears larger due to the shrinking gunt.
Where did you start at?

Where did you start at?

I was calling myself 205 but it was probably 210 in reality.

I dont think Ive ever been into full ketosis. I credit eating cleaner cutting carbs with the loss.

Workouts have been better.

Kids are out of school and they go to a pool daily.

On the days I have to watch them Ill add swimming an hour a day.

Swimming greatest excercise known to man, it will require I feed sticks of lard to fuel myself.

Last edited:
I was calling myself 205 but it was probably 210 in reality.

I dont think Ive ever been into full ketosis. I credit eating cleaner cutting carbs with the loss.

Workouts have been better.

Kids are out of school and they go to a pool daily.

On the days I have to watch them Ill add swimming an hour a day.

Swimming greatest excercise known to man, it will require I feed sticks of lard to fuel myself.
I started at 276.4 5 1/2 weeks ago. At 256.6 this morning, just a haircut away from -20. I used to get the shakes when I didn't keep the carb train running. In many ways it was like a diabetic reaction, but I never tested anywhere close to diabetes, even with my high weight. I don't get the shakes/crap feel from the carb low anymore, which is probably the absolute best part of this for me. Got quite aways to go, but the start is looking good so far.

Reactions: SLG
I started at 276.4 5 1/2 weeks ago. At 256.6 this morning, just a haircut away from -20. I used to get the shakes when I didn't keep the carb train running. In many ways it was like a diabetic reaction, but I never tested anywhere close to diabetes, even with my high weight. I don't get the shakes/crap feel from the carb low anymore, which is probably the absolute best part of this for me. Got quite aways to go, but the start is looking good so far.

When you burn fat you smooth out the energy curve.

I note the same thing. When it was yogurt and cereal for breakfast at about 1100 I was STARVING and feeling shaky. 1100 is work out time and often it was "Do I eat or work out first?"

Id always opt for the work out knowing if I ate I would not want to work on a full stomach. The workouts suffered probably as I was low energy.

Now its morning bacon and eggs doused with the liquid fat and coconut yogurt with berries.

At 1100 I have a slight "alert" hunger and Im ready to go.

The more you have to lose the faster you lose at the start.

I should be plateauing soon. My insurance company BMI is probably 135 or something stupid but because I can lift more than a coat hanger I would never get there.

When I was in my bestest shape I hit 179 and could wear 28 waist pants. That took a lot of running and I was feeling a lot more hunger than eating a calorie restrictive diet.

It probably wasnt as healthy as this program.

Down from 303 to 273 Since 5/1. Grad school did a number on me. I would like to get down to around 250.

That sounds great.

We have chocolate cheese, at our Hyvee market. It is just cheese and cocoa. Tastes just like fudge. great on its own, it is best kept in the freezer, and can be eaten straight out of it.

A real treat my wife came up with is to take a couple slices of the chocolate cheese, put home made whip cream on it (just heavy cream, whipped), and then top it with a few blueberries and strawberries, or some raspberries and blackberries. It is pretty incredible, and a real summer treat.

I know the cheese thing sounds weird, but it is totally legit. If you don't tell someone what it is, they just say that it is nice fudge, not too thick.
That sounds good I'll have to give it a try!

Unless you have cancer, a metabolic disorder, or are pre-diabetic, there is nothing exceptional about keto. In fact, it's a giant PITA and you feel like shit going into Ketosis.

My suggestion is to do whatever you can stick to -- tailor your carbs to your activity level and around your workouts. High GI carbs post-workout, fibrous low GI carbs most of the time. Calories are king for whatever your goal is.

Unless you have cancer, a metabolic disorder, or are pre-diabetic, there is nothing exceptional about keto. In fact, it's a giant PITA and you feel like shit going into Ketosis.

My suggestion is to do whatever you can stick to -- tailor your carbs to your activity level and around your workouts. High GI carbs post-workout, fibrous low GI carbs most of the time. Calories are king for whatever your goal is.

Meh! I dont think many that go Keto actually get into ketosis.

I pissed on a few keto sticks and got a light color but nothing to indicate high ketones.

Im thinking the big benefit is just cutting out a ton of processed food and eliminating the extra carbs that turn to fat.

I felt "keto flu" when I started but Im thinking that was my body asking "Hey WTF where is the easy energy?"

This has been easy to stick to. I dont count fat ratios or carbs.

I eat whatever I want as long as its low in sugar carbs.

The benefit is cutting fat and a more parabolic energy curve rather than peaks and valleys.

Point being you are sceptical of it but facts are t works if not for the exact reason people think.

This is from the perspective of someone not prescribed this diet.

If prescribed the Leto diet than you had better follow the regimen better than I do.

Even still I'm losing good weight.

Last edited:
Reactions: supercorndogs
Not to highjack, but for those who can't Keto- look into RP. Renaissance Periodization is a company that make meal plan templates that you follow. You have to weigh your food and all that, but nothing is cut out and you are eating frequently. Company is run by a bunch of registered dieticians, PHDs and workout fanatics. I have to get back on their templates- I was shedding weight and my lifts were either staying the same or improving and there was no "fog"

Reactions: akg102
Ultimately, it all comes down to goals. Keto works very well to lose weight if sparing muscle isn't your primary goal. You want insulin high during times of high muscular stress to shuttle nutrients for recovery. (pre/intra/post-workout windows)

Obviously, the goal of Keto is to keep insulin levels low to remain catabolic, which is why even high protein isn't recommended. Anyone who doesn't have physique/muscularity/strength goals would probably be just fine doing Keto if they can stick to it. It's incredibly difficult to lose muscle mass if you don't have much to begin with AND you're above +12% bodyfat.

One quick point -- in a caloric deficit, macro ratios are pretty much a moot as long as you're getting enough protein. If you decide to have a refeed/cheat day, there is a distinct advantage to going with high carb/low fat, in regards to Leptin, glycogen buffer, etc....

You're dead on PMclaine -- when people go on a keto diet, they instantly remove almost every snack food. (No chips, sleeves of oreos, ice cream) That will instantly improve the diet of 90% of people and is why so many have success on this type of diet.

Not to highjack, but for those who can't Keto- look into RP. Renaissance Periodization is a company that make meal plan templates that you follow. You have to weigh your food and all that, but nothing is cut out and you are eating frequently. Company is run by a bunch of registered dieticians, PHDs and workout fanatics. I have to get back on their templates- I was shedding weight and my lifts were either staying the same or improving and there was no "fog"

RP is a fantastic resource! I've been using their physique and diet templates for a long time now. Mike Israetel, James Hoffman, Greg Nuckols, and the bunch are great to listen to and have an abundance of knowledge.

I disagree with Keto being a PITA, I actually find it to be the easiest diet I've ever done. Hell I get to eat bacon and eggs anytime I want! and STEAK! I guess it depends on what types of foods you like. I've always been a protein lover so it hasn't been too bad. The hardest part has been learning to eat brocolli and asparagus but I'm actually to the point that I like them now too. I do miss me some ice cream from time to time however.

Reactions: pmclaine
I disagree with Keto being a PITA, I actually find it to be the easiest diet I've ever done. Hell I get to eat bacon and eggs anytime I want! and STEAK! I guess it depends on what types of foods you like. I've always been a protein lover so it hasn't been too bad. The hardest part has been learning to eat brocolli and asparagus but I'm actually to the point that I like them now too. I do miss me some ice cream from time to time however.

Remember feeling guilty about eating the charred fat on the edges of a great New York sirloin?

No more.

I made fresh vanilla whipped cream with strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries the other night. It was as good as ice cream with no carbs.

I don't see where Keto spares muscle.

I do see where Keto could be a detriment if you need faster energy.

I would go off Keto for an endurance or extreme moderate duration workout. If I was going on a ruck hike I would add some carbs to fuel the body.

But for daily reasonably strenuous workouts I haven't had an energy deficit.

I'm not looking for speedo body it seems that the criticism of Keto may be related to not being the best for the muscle and fitness magazine look if that's what you want to attain.

Keto Day 1 for me. 35y/o 6’3” 230# former gym rat turned soccer dad. I’ve always been relatively lean and muscular but with a high carb/high protein diet to fuel long gym workouts, 2-a-day workouts, distance running and sprints/hills. I haven’t been to the gym in 3 years and pulled a hamstring at 8yo soccer practice yesterday because I’m in crappy shape. Also I’m consistently tired with less mental energy than I’d like, and too sedentary. Time to get serious. Short term goals include: dropping 30#, increasing focus and more consistent energy levels. Thankfully my MyFitnessPal account still works, even though it’s been 3 years since I’ve used it consistently. I’m a physical therapist with a decent background in nutrition and the more I think about Keto, the more it makes sense. And I’m hoping for some different results than past plans. Thanks to all who have left feedback and encouragement, recipes and plans/schedules in this thread. It’s all helpful and this carboholic is gonna need it.

Keto Day 1 for me. 35y/o 6’3” 230# former gym rat turned soccer dad. I’ve always been relatively make me feel just as satisfied lean and muscular but with a high carb/high protein diet to fuel long gym workouts, 2-a-day workouts, distance running and sprints/hills. I haven’t been to the gym in 3 years and pulled a hamstring at 8yo soccer practice yesterday because I’m in crappy shape. Also I’m consistently tired with less mental energy than I’d like, and too sedentary. Time to get serious. Short term goals include: dropping 30#, increasing focus and more consistent energy levels. Thankfully my MyFitnessPal account still works, even though it’s been 3 years since I’ve used it consistently. I’m a physical therapist with a decent background in nutrition and the more I think about Keto, the more it makes sense. And I’m hoping for some different results than past plans. Thanks to all who have left feedback and encouragement, recipes and plans/schedules in this thread. It’s all helpful and this carboholic is gonna need it.

I dont even consider it a diet.

A diet I equate with "limits".

This I eat whatever I want as long as its not carbs or sugar.

I still will treat myself to an ice cream or whatever but infrequently and probably less than I need deny myself.

Just I dont miss that crap when a handful of bacon or salted nuts can make me feel just as satiated without the harm.

Good luck.

Drink lots and lots of water as you start into it. Get a Nalgene 32 oz bottle and have it by your side to drink from eveywhere you go.

I consider cutting out an entire macro-nutrient from your diet a hell of a limitation :D

I consider cutting out an entire macro-nutrient from your diet a hell of a limitation :D

I dont know if I can really call what I cut out a "nutrient".

It seems Ive dropped a lot of processed food.

My goal has never been to get into ketosis. It was to lose weight.

I stopped eating the processed shit that creates weight - processed pasta, processed sugar, processed rice - and now Im eating mainly shit that comes from the meat case or the produce aisles.

I eat carbs but they are fiber carbs not sugar carbs.

My wife and I was Paleo for almost 7 years. We have been keto for 1 year and it has been amazing. Both are great but keto we feel even better and don't need to workout as hard to be in great shape. All Dr appointments have been very successful too as all blood work looks amazing.
Research it and enjoy.

Not me but every day I have unsweetened vanilla coconut yogurt loaded with blueberries, strawberries, blackberries and razberries.

At least 1/4 cup of mixed nuts a day.

and lunch/dinner always includes some sort of veg or salad alongside the meat.

Lot of olives, avacado and cheese.

I think the veg, berries, nuts, veg fats, dairy and meat are pretty well packed with vitamins, minerals, protein.

and a couple ounces of 90 percent cocoa chocolate, because hey its good, per day.

Typical work day meal plan

Breakfast
5 - Half slices of bacon
2 - Fried eggs, fried in bacon grease
2 - Slices of cheese on top of it all than I pour the excess liquid bacon fat over it all and drink down as much bacon fat as I can

Morning snack
6 or so Olives with cheese and sometimes Pepperoncini

Pre work out
Blueberries, rasberries, strawberries, blackberries, ounce of 92% chocolate with unsweetened vanilla coconut yogurt

Post work out/lunch
A salad with chicken, or steak, tuna or pork and an oil based dressing, add cheese, olives, avacado to salad. Leftovers from the night before dinner. Some times just a can of tuna with mayo and a few tablespoons of olive oil added to increase the fats. If something looks dry I add olive oil.

Afternoon snack
1/4 cup of mixed nuts - cashews, almonds, walnuts, macadamias, brazils, ounce of 92% chocolate etc

Get home snack
Raid the fridge usually for some cheese and meat - sliced turkey, mortadella, ham, etc

Dinner
Steak, salad, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, brocolli, chicken, pork, etc

After dinner
Handful or two of nuts, sometimes make whipped cream from heavy cream and add natural vanilla oil and fresh berries.

Black coffee gets added any time I want it. Im never without a 32 ounce Nalgene bottle of cold water to drink from.

Just some of the stuff I do but I dont think it conforms totally to the Keto plan. You will get better info from others.

Been on keto since April, went from 235 to 208 and dropped to a 34 pant from 36. I dont really consider it a diet, I just consider it more a life change for me. I dont see myself ever going back to my old eating habits. I feel so much healthier and energetic now.

I enjoy coming up with all new meals and getting creative with keto friendly ingredients. My favorite is Thai red curry with shrimp or chicken.
20180810_195736.jpg

IMG_20180801_095624_535.jpg

IMG_20180723_185818_256.jpg

IMG_20180630_203245_000.jpg

IMG_20180529_075813_144.jpg

Last edited:
I charged 50 .308 shells while i read this thread. I think the biggest benefit to a lot of diets is cutting out all the processed crap, and avoiding white sugar. I started avoiding highly processed gluten products as well. I was at 360. I was at 295 last time i weight in, that was a couple months ago. I felt like I was gaining weight, but then i just had to punch new hole in my belt. I am on a not strict ket. I have to change i will go weigh.

A little under 290. Yep, the lightest I have been since I bought this belt. Probably could have got a few more off, but I had some planters factitious problems for the last month or so. Getting that fixed up. Staying off my feet was hard though.

Last edited:
Reactions: pmclaine and Wyfox
I've been doing Keto since the first of the year, pretty strictly. Not a lot more exercise than before, and happily I've dropped from 258 to ~207 ish, (although it looks like I might have gained a few liquid pounds back with a little bout in the hospital with acute appendicitis). Happily I won't have to go through that again, just hope the reuperation goes quickly. I'm going to stick with it, hope to drop another 15 pounds as my target.

Reactions: SLG
2 1/2 weeks in, pretty strict <20 net carbs/day. I’m down 15# from 230 to 215. Started back at the gym, lots of pull ups, push ups, multi joint ex’s. Trying to get back to running, hopefully progress back to sprints. Best part is I feel a ton better, have more sustained energy/endurance and improved focus. Trying to get to 200.

Reactions: SLG and pmclaine
Wife and I have decided to try this Keto thing out. Offically starts tomorrow. House is purged. I picked this time since its Labor day coming up and I have an extra day to adjust. As for keeping up with the workouts, is there a significant drop off on output the first week or two? I know this is subjective to a bunch of variables, however I just figured it was a safe bet to have a cruising week lined up. Am I wrong? Also do you add all the fat content of meats from the package or do online nutrition resources sites do the trick? Thanks.

My wife has done keto since about the first of the year. She was very strict until she hit her target weight. She has allowed a few more carbs on occasion since then and has held steady.

I started the last week of July. Third or fourth day, my thought process was noticeably slower and not good. I came out of that and have stuck with it I don't count carbs but I am sure it is less than 20 for sure. Hardest thing for me has been missing my snacks and ice cream. Oh, and beer. I went back to drinking bourbon, eat pork rinds instead of other snacks and diet sweet tea. No ice cream substitute though... down from 218 to 197 today. My goal was to not have to start buying the next sized pants. I have done that.

We have been doing the Keto for about 3 weeks now and have seen pretty good results. GF has lost about 5# and I am down about 9. I have had a few cheat meals here and there but have a job that allows me to burn a few extra calories so that helps. The cravings for carbs went away after a few days but it was hard learning to cook without them. Had to do a little thinking and more meal planning than normal

Holy shit. I didn't know this was still going.

I totally died.

Well, no. Will update what's been going on.

I manly eat keto/ carnivor. I really don’t miss carbs ..my energy is up. I sleep better. I’m starting to think humans aren’t meant to get carbs lol

Keto has been good so far. Not bad after the first 4 days. I would advise having a crazy carb last night straight into keto isn't a good idea. Lessons learned.

Keto has been good so far. Not bad after the first 4 days. I would advise having a crazy carb last night straight into keto isn't a good idea. Lessons learned.

In a few weeks a sudden deluge of carbs will make your heart race and make you feel like shit.

I really dont miss them.

Reactions: winniedonkey
Because carbs are junk, I call them "carbage", your body in fact does not need carbs, what little your brain needs your body will make, it's very little. I've been on keto since the very beginning of December and I'm finally realizing my weight loss goals. I'll be on this "diet" for life. Every 2 weeks I do a refeed but it's not necessary. I'm a believer, I feel so much better not consuming carbs, no bloating, gas, etc. It's amazing!

I started about 2 months ago and have the same results. My struggle is that I ride/race bikes and need to eat and drink so I don't bonk. All gels are out, there are a few bars that I can eat. But chewing on a nasty bar while my heart rate is 180+ and not puking/gagging is nearly impossible. Most "sport" drinks are out too, I can use mio or one of skratch labs.

I started about 2 months ago and have the same results. My struggle is that I ride/race bikes and need to eat and drink so I don't bonk. All gels are out, there are a few bars that I can eat. But chewing on a nasty bar while my heart rate is 180+ and not puking/gagging is nearly impossible. Most "sport" drinks are out too, I can use mio or one of skratch labs.

If your activity requires the "spike" I dont see where eating carbs to fuel that need would matter.

"Most" typical sedentary/low workout intensity Americans could do without the carbs though.

I think its important to keep in mind your goal isnt "ketosis" .

Keto diet is important but the goal is improved health through some weight loss.

Powerade Zero.

Reactions: Wyfox and Adb1228
I have been doing the Keto thing for the last 4 month. Seems to have worked pretty good. Down to 288 for 328. Yeah I was pissed at letting myself get that big. I have always been a big guy. I am 6’ 4. Think I have been since 8th grade.
I now feel better, sleep better and have more energy. If I can get myself down to 260 I would be ecstatic.
Keto has been one of the easier diets I have tried. Biggest thing is cutting out the beer. Which sucks. I am a big beer fan. Vodka with soda water and lime has taken its place.

So is this keto?
No damn crackers or ranch dressing, wtf?

20180926_204643.jpg

Ranch dressing isnt too bad for keto. I think there are more carbs in those carrots than there would be in ranch. Is that fruit in the middle?

Carrots are sugary but lots of fiber, you are eating an orange piece of wood with flavor and vitamins.

Nice thing is dressing is no longer the enemy .

You want some extra blue cheese or Greek? Pour it on.

If thats pineapple in the middle that is sugar and water.

Reactions: Geno C.
Hey all!

I've been Keto for about 3 months now. I'm 5'9'' 230lb and have been lifting 5 days a week for about 12 years.

I'm a fat Italian guy so giving up carbs was hard for me at first. After a couple weeks though all my cravings went away and I feel better than I ever have. I literally feel like I just have unlimited energy. Keto takes a lot of effort, and forces you to have a more intimate relationship with your food. I'll be going for a check-up in about a month for blood tests etc. to verify the "healthiness" or lack thereof of my Keto lifestyle.

Anyway. If anyone has any questions about fitness, lifting, dieting, supplements, etc. please feel free to ask me. Again, I have 12+ years of lifting experience, and many other forms of physical fitness training.

Also, I am not sure if this has been mentioned as I didn't read the entire thread. But there's a great documentary on Netflix called "The Magic Pill" which is about the Keto diet. I enjoyed it because it's not a fad diet documentary and actually has a scientific and subjective approach.

Thanks!
Chris

Reactions: Wyfox and DIBBS
Keto is awesome I’ve lost about 25lbs and the most noticable thing has been how easy it’s been to control what I eat. It’s the easiest diet or eating style I’ve ever done for weight loss. If your even considering this I’d say try it. Supposedly the science says it is healthy but in a month or two I’m gonna go get blood work and find out how my cholesterol is doing.

I had a physical a couple of weeks ago.

I was looking forward to blood results.

I had a job related physical in January about a month before going KETO and that lab work pre keto is good/healthy.

For some reason at my physical they forgot to check lipids on my blood draw.

Had to go back yesterday to give blood for cholesterol. Very interested to see the results and compare my "just before keto" numbers with "9 months of bacon and eggs".

The other results on my current test improved. There was a slightly elevated glucose number in February now as of September its normal.

Ive plateaued on keto I think.

Holding steady at about 185 from 205 or so.

Id have to increase workout time or reduce calories to lose anymore.

Its a good thing though. Ive reached a weight my body determines to be "normal".

I aint sacrificing and Im not packing pounds I dont need.

Still got some reserve to survive a few days without food if I needed to.

Reactions: Geno C. and Wyfox
Keto has worked wonders for me. Last November I had a kidney stone and I decided to change my life around. 360lbs+ Strongman. I stopped taking supplements, drank exclusively water. Got on the scale first week of February at 338lbs. Doc said I had extremely high blood pressure, and I started getting diabetic nerve pain. The change needed to be made. Went on keto, and lost over 120lbs in 9 months. I now sit at the mid 220’s, after hitting a low of 217. I’m 6’3” and a lifter, so I would weigh considerably more than your average BMI chart says I should. Long story short, no longer diabetic, no longer hypoglycemic, 120/60 blood pressure, triglycerides are perfect, and my cholesterol has dropped to healthy levels. I now carb cycle or “dirty keto” to add strength. It’s a good lifestyle if you like veggies and meat.
5B22829B-6E9D-47B1-B5CD-05A2DEB4B845.jpeg

Keto has worked wonders for me. Last November I had a kidney stone and I decided to change my life around. 360lbs+ Strongman. I stopped taking supplements, drank exclusively water. Got on the scale first week of February at 338lbs. Doc said I had extremely high blood pressure, and I started getting diabetic nerve pain. The change needed to be made. Went on keto, and lost over 120lbs in 9 months. I now sit at the mid 220’s, after hitting a low of 217. I’m 6’3” and a lifter, so I would weigh considerably more than your average BMI chart says I should. Long story short, no longer diabetic, no longer hypoglycemic, 120/60 blood pressure, triglycerides are perfect, and my cholesterol has dropped to healthy levels. I now carb cycle or “dirty keto” to add strength. It’s a good lifestyle if you like veggies and meat.View attachment 6960353

Bet its easier on the clutch rolling away from stop lights also.

Reactions: Geno C.