• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone out there with Cochlear Implants?

tna9001

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2017
Asheville NC
Hey guys,

I've been wearing hearing aids for 8 years (I'm 51) and my hearing is to the point where they aren't much help. I've got a great Audiologist and ENT and they both think CI's could be helpful.

I'm not asking for medical advice just real-world experience of folks with a similar lifestyle. I'm mostly concerned with losing my acoustic hearing, the hybrid CI's are supposed to retain acoustic hearing but everything I've found via google says the results are mixed. So, what's it like living with CI's? Would you do it again?

1569328896012.png

two children up the street where I grew up both went deaf by age 8 and had their hearing restored...

I don't have any personal experience.

Have you tried the 6K hearing aids that work specifically with the I phone? A friend got those and they changed his life.

He forwards his work phone to his I phone and does all his work calls via the apple bluetooth link to the hearing aids.

He said they have to be tuned to your ears and your hearing and are amazing

Yeah, I’ve tried everything. I’ve got the $6k set but you reach a point where acoustic amplification doesn’t work.

Reactions: gunman_7
remember my fathers father stomping on his hearing aid when my dad asked why he did that for his reply that he had not heard his kids in 40 years and would be dammed if he wanted to change that before he died . Guess for some there is a bright side to every situation .

• Haha
Reactions: Maggot
My wife has been deaf all her life. When she was a child in England, she was part of groundbreaking new surgery, I think she was the first ever in England. The Queen and Chuck attended her surgery, so I guess it was a big deal.
Not sure on all specifics but I know she had double mastoidectomy, and titanium thid placed in her skull.
She is much different than us, who lose our hearing over time.

I can only tell you what she experiences from her description.
Her implant doesn't allow her to hear like us. In her words it's jumbled. Movies, TV, events where there is lots of background noise gives her a fit.
Devices that pipe signals direct to her implant are clear. I bought her a special cochlear device for the TV, she had never actually been able to hear a TV properly. First time she cranked up the device it brought tears to her eyes.

I'm not sure how it'll work for you, but they are a Godsend to deaf folks.
Don't be surprised if you need other peripheral devices to hear certain things more clearly.

Always remove your device when fishing in The Keys. They are expensive.....very very expensive.
"Oh shit, did you drop your cellphone in?"
"Damn, you should have dropped your cellphone in."

Reactions: gunman_7
My wife is speech therapist and deals with patients with them I can ask her. Also my best friends wife is an audiologist and I can ping her too and report back....

My wife has been deaf all her life. When she was a child in England, she was part of groundbreaking new surgery, I think she was the first ever in England. The Queen and Chuck attended her surgery, so I guess it was a big deal.
Not sure on all specifics but I know she had double mastoidectomy, and titanium thid placed in her skull.
She is much different than us, who lose our hearing over time.

I can only tell you what she experiences from her description.
Her implant doesn't allow her to hear like us. In her words it's jumbled. Movies, TV, events where there is lots of background noise gives her a fit.
Devices that pipe signals direct to her implant are clear. I bought her a special cochlear device for the TV, she had never actually been able to hear a TV properly. First time she cranked up the device it brought tears to her eyes.

I'm not sure how it'll work for you, but they are a Godsend to deaf folks.
Don't be surprised if you need other peripheral devices to hear certain things more clearly.

Always remove your device when fishing in The Keys. They are expensive.....very very expensive.
"Oh shit, did you drop your cellphone in?"
"Damn, you should have dropped your cellphone in."

Thank you for that context. I lost a hearing aid during a Krav pressure test that was outside, $3k down the drain, at least I passed the test:sneaky:

NO implant but wicked tinnitus from forgetting my hearing protection when shooting my Barrett M 82-1:mad:

Dont forget your hearing protection.

Hope you get some help.

NO implant but wicked tinnitus from forgetting my hearing protection when shooting my Barrett M 82-1:mad:

Dont forget your hearing protection.

Hope you get some help.

I feel like this has to be asked... How?

I wore plugs, muffs, and can't imagine not noticing I'm wearing them when I'm going to touch off a .50.

I feel like this has to be asked... How?

I wore plugs, muffs, and can't imagine not noticing I'm wearing them when I'm going to touch off a .50.

I was with a group of people, talking and chatting, and just not paying attention. Dumb? Yes.