• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone shoot 510 whisper?

long range newbie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2013
Oregon
I am thinking of building a gun in this caliber since its an interesting caliber and sounds fun to shoot and reload. I also wonder how you make the brass from 338 lapua brass and reloading data for it.

Just wiki'd it and was impressed, that is so cool. Especially how with such a high BC bullet it only loses 100fps over several hundred meters.

Most make the brass with a lathe, but those of us without the proper tooling use neck turning tools to cut .338LM brass to the proper length and cut the shoulder. It's a pain.

I used .338 RUM for mine. Cheaper brass. I only used the reamer once, and still have it. I ma have an extra blank too, I'm not sure on that though.

There's a guy on the DTA thread running the 510 Whisper and he seems to love it. He hasn't posted about it in several months. Do a search on it and send him a PM. I'm sure he would be glad to help. I think it's a bad ass round and some day I would love to get into it. Obviously you know you are talking big bucks here. Those 50cal cans aren't cheap!

I built a 510WSM, which is a similar idea but easier/cheaper to do IMO. It's a cheap/fun way to shoot milsurp 50 tips like the API. Rem action, WSM brass cut off at the shoulder, easy. I get 1700fps with the API, so subsonic is just less powder. Long range with this is fun too. Artillery type trajectories and very easy to spot impacts. I should video it sometime.

510 WSM Article - Topic

I built a 510WSM, which is a similar idea but easier/cheaper to do IMO. It's a cheap/fun way to shoot milsurp 50 tips like the API. Rem action, WSM brass cut off at the shoulder, easy. I get 1700fps with the API, so subsonic is just less powder. Long range with this is fun too. Artillery type trajectories and very easy to spot impacts. I should video it sometime.

510 WSM Article - Topic

I did one of those too, and use a 975g cast bullet at 950fps pushed by trail boss. It sounds like a pellet gun going off but hits like a sledge hammer.

50 AK the first two, 510 whisper in the middle

510 whisper rifle and 50 Alaskan pistol

The 95 Whisper is next for me

I've done a number of barrels for the DT SRS as well as a couple rifles based on the 98 mauser and CZ550 Safari Mag. They are great fun to shoot and allow you to use some of the more "active" bullets from pulled 50 BMG rounds. We shoot tracers, API (armor piercing incindiary), 50 spotter (requires a different throat) and ball. Tracers will light as reliably as in the full sized BMG round when using only 28.5gr of 2400 or similiar powder. API will flash on hard targets and if you're into hunting you can load up 300-800gr hunting type bullets. I've shortened the round to 1.790" for use here in indiana to comply with deer hunting regs and so far have gotten 450 gr barnes flat soft points up to 2000fps. Thats easily suitable for deer to about 300 yds. There is still room in the case and I've not finished with working up powders and loads. According to quickload I should be able to hit 2300fps with the 450 and possibly 2500fps with the 300gr flat soft point. Its a very good round with a wide range of usefulness. Brass is a pain to make up but once you have it you can shoot it for a long time....especially if you're shooting subsonics. I've got cases with more than 25 firings on them so the initial cost may seem high but over time it comes down to very low. Considering that the Lapua brass was intended for 63,000psi it should last a very long time at low pressure.

Hope that answers some of the questions

Frank

Attachments

• DTA SRS with 12-7X48 bbl and ammo.jpg
    DTA SRS with 12-7X48 bbl and ammo.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 492
  • Tan DT with can 510.jpg
    Tan DT with can 510.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,135
Reactions: camocorvette
thank you for the info but do you shoot the bullets for like the 500 s&w?

If the S&W bullets are .510 diameter they're fine. If they are .500 then no, you can't shoot them. I suppose if you bought a barrel blank with a .500 bore you could use them but then you're limited to a smaller variety of bullet choices. The .510 selection is pretty big since a lot of the sharps rounds were that diameter, 500 Linebaugh, etc....Most of the bullet makers that do .50 cal stuff will have jacketed or cast bullets in .510 dia available.

Frank

thank you for the info but do you shoot the bullets for like the 500 s&w?

You could shoot .500" bullets in a .510" barrel, but you will probably not get very good accuracy. The nice thing about the .510" caliber is all the cheap milsurp bullets you can get that were made for the 50BMG. Search on youtube for incendiary or tracer bullets; they are fun to shoot (but do NOT shoot them in areas/circumstances that can start a fire).

Hi guys, I am new here and I am looking for some help. Does anyone have a drawing of chamber and cartridge of .510 Whisper?
Thanks for help.

I never heard of this caliber what kind of energy does this cartridge have?

Hi guys, I am new here and I am looking for some help. Does anyone have a drawing of chamber and cartridge of .510 Whisper?
Thanks for help.

The Whisper series of cartridges were invented by JD Jones of SSK industries.
They are not SAMI spec and he is very protective of his designs. He figures if you want one, you have him make it.
Good luck finding a drawing.

I never heard of this caliber what kind of energy does this cartridge have?

The thing with all of these subsonic cartridges is that you generally have the same velocity across the board, so the main difference is bullet mass. Basic Newtonian physics tells us that force = mass x acceleration which can be further broken down to:

force = mass x (velocity / time)

So in a nutshell, the energy a 650 or 750 grain .50 cal bullet delivers at subsonic speeds is going to be significantly more than a 175 or 200 grain bullet at the same speeds. It's a friggin' spear chucker!

Since JD is so protective and hard to deal with others have come up with alternates to the most popular types. For the 510 whisper you can google 12.7X48 as a basic equivalent. For the 300 whisper you can see the 30-221, 300-221, 300 fireball, 300 blackout and the list goes on. JD didn't necessarily invent all these though I think the 510 whisper must be his...many of them were repurposed by him for subsonic use. The 300 whisper is a copy of an old wildcat based on the 223 and used in silhouette shooting. He just popped a heavy 240gr bullet in it and loaded for subsonic velocity.

Hope that helps

Frank

so far have gotten 450 gr barnes flat soft points up to 2000fps. Thats easily suitable for deer to about 300 yds. There is still room in the case and I've not finished with working up powders and loads. According to quickload I should be able to hit 2300fps with the 450 and possibly 2500fps with the 300gr flat soft point.

I've been playing around with my 510WSM. I think that the Whisper™ has more case capacity and I've got 505gr paper patched bullets to up 1850fps in a ±18" barrel. I made some 240gr lathe turned solids and clocked them at nearly 2700fps in a 26" barrel. I think quickload's correct and you're under-utilizing the potential velocity with lighter bullets.

I want to try those Barnes Originals. 2000fps would make a fantastic mess of a pig!

Gratuitous pic ;)
510_WSM_porker.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: camocorvette
yea that is impressive it definely would be a spear chucker!!