• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone shoot an Energetic Arms Lux?

monkeypunch

Private
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2022
OK
I'm looking for my first Ti suppressor for a 6mm Creedmoor bolt gun. Goal of the rifle will be mostly a coyote hunting rife. Planning a 22" barrel, and am trying to strike a good balace between suppressor performance and weight/size. I am curious as to how the Lux performs compared to the other cans I am considering, mainly the Ultra 7 and Nomad Ti.

I currently have a Nomad L, Rugged Surge, Micro 30 and Radiant.

A lot of suppressor information is a bit biased and people's perception of suppressors is different from can to can, rifle to rifle. Like anything else, your preference, and typical use, rifle, need for weight limitations, sound reduction, size and durability will all play a role into your decision-making. AND, MY OPINION WILL ALSO BE BIASED, while I am trying not to be. The truth is there are many good suppressors on the market right now, and new companies coming every quarter, so there has never been a better time to be a suppressor buyer. To a large extent, in 2023, we are comparing good to great. Go back in time 10 years ago, and we were comparing bad to good.

What little I know about Coyote hunting tells me that you will not be lugging the gun deep into the woods and thus, quiet is probably more important than weight, size and durability. I think getting the second kill is more important, so silence is key. Am I understanding your use case sufficiently?

My firm came to suppressor use late, so there are others who are true experts. We have relied upon our own use, and also sponsoring Jay at Pew Science, and his work, which, IMO, has done a lot to debunk marketing from results. Jay looks at quiet and back pressure. I think one also needs to evaluate metals and need for durability, but his view is that he does not evaluate that. For your use case, I would not think durability (knocking the can into a door) matters much, nor does the metallurgy. Titanium will be fine for you, as you are not running a machine gun.

Then, you should consider the company who makes the suppressor, I think. What are they known for, and is their sweet spot. The Lux has been very popular with 6.5mm CM shooters. Using a 6mm can be challenging, as you will most like find 5.56, 6.5 and .30. Some of the .30 cans will have caps for 5.56, and some for 6.5. I am not aware of any for 6mm. Doe this matter? A little bit, yes, as you will get more sound out of a .30 cal (7.62mm) with a 6 mm projectile, as you have more room around the projectile for gas, and thus, noise, to escape. How much? Hard to measure, but it will be there.

I would not normally recommend the Lux for best in class sound reduction, but a 6.5 Lux might suit you well.

For .30 cal use, as you describe, I think your choice of Thunder Beast Ultra 7 or Ultra 9 is a good one. Nomad for us, is sort of the go-to can for .30 cal, and then evaluate up or down the budget horizon, based upon use case. I would look hard at Hyperion from CGS. We are big CGS fans, as they innovate and iterate many varieties using 3D Printing to get things designed and built really well. Rugged is one of those brands, that I think you can never make a bad choice.

My advice: read a little on Pew Science page, but also understand that test results are just that. Actual experiences might sound and feel different. What I like about Pew Science is they will give you sound reduction at the muzzle as well as at the shooters' ear. For tactical shooting, we want the sound at the shooters' ear, but for Coyote hunting, I am going to err on the side of measuring the sound at the muzzle.

If I can help you further, we sell many of these brands.

Yeah this will be a Ti can. I got the durability stuff covered with the Rugged cans. I'm shying away from the 15ish ounce cans, like the CGS, as my Nomad L is only slightly heavier. Even the Nomad LT is only 6oz less than the Nomad L. The Enticer-L Ti is interesting, except the notable FRP Jay found on his test. Not a huge fan of that on a hunting can. If the Lux doesn't give up anything to the Nomad Ti or Ultra 7 in the sound department, it maybe a great sleeper precision can choice.

A lot of suppressor information is a bit biased and people's perception of suppressors is different from can to can, rifle to rifle. Like anything else, your preference, and typical use, rifle, need for weight limitations, sound reduction, size and durability will all play a role into your decision-making. AND, MY OPINION WILL ALSO BE BIASED, while I am trying not to be. The truth is there are many good suppressors on the market right now, and new companies coming every quarter, so there has never been a better time to be a suppressor buyer. To a large extent, in 2023, we are comparing good to great. Go back in time 10 years ago, and we were comparing bad to good.

What little I know about Coyote hunting tells me that you will not be lugging the gun deep into the woods and thus, quiet is probably more important than weight, size and durability. I think getting the second kill is more important, so silence is key. Am I understanding your use case sufficiently?

My firm came to suppressor use late, so there are others who are true experts. We have relied upon our own use, and also sponsoring Jay at Pew Science, and his work, which, IMO, has done a lot to debunk marketing from results. Jay looks at quiet and back pressure. I think one also needs to evaluate metals and need for durability, but his view is that he does not evaluate that. For your use case, I would not think durability (knocking the can into a door) matters much, nor does the metallurgy. Titanium will be fine for you, as you are not running a machine gun.

Then, you should consider the company who makes the suppressor, I think. What are they known for, and is their sweet spot. The Lux has been very popular with 6.5mm CM shooters. Using a 6mm can be challenging, as you will most like find 5.56, 6.5 and .30. Some of the .30 cans will have caps for 5.56, and some for 6.5. I am not aware of any for 6mm. Doe this matter? A little bit, yes, as you will get more sound out of a .30 cal (7.62mm) with a 6 mm projectile, as you have more room around the projectile for gas, and thus, noise, to escape. How much? Hard to measure, but it will be there.

I would not normally recommend the Lux for best in class sound reduction, but a 6.5 Lux might suit you well.

For .30 cal use, as you describe, I think your choice of Thunder Beast Ultra 7 or Ultra 9 is a good one. Nomad for us, is sort of the go-to can for .30 cal, and then evaluate up or down the budget horizon, based upon use case. I would look hard at Hyperion from CGS. We are big CGS fans, as they innovate and iterate many varieties using 3D Printing to get things designed and built really well. Rugged is one of those brands, that I think you can never make a bad choice.

My advice: read a little on Pew Science page, but also understand that test results are just that. Actual experiences might sound and feel different. What I like about Pew Science is they will give you sound reduction at the muzzle as well as at the shooters' ear. For tactical shooting, we want the sound at the shooters' ear, but for Coyote hunting, I am going to err on the side of measuring the sound at the muzzle.

If I can help you further, we sell many of these brands.