• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

anyone shooting 338 lapua touching or in the lands

Mag 300

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Dec 31, 2006
    Downers Grove Illinois
    I just got a 338 lapua and its shooting a 3" group at 600 yards.
    when I got it used factory loads to zero it and sight her in
    now at home I took the COAL measuements and there shorter and the factor loads I was using bu .020 so the rifle was shooting lights out with the bullet jammed into the lands .02
    anyone here of this .
    what pressure increase will I see??

Re: anyone shooting 338 lapua touching or in the lands

Loading into the lands of any cartridge causes a pressure increase of about 5000 PSI.. so watch your load.. work up..

Bill:

That may not be a true statement. Are you hand loading the same bullets that was used in the factory loads??? If your not the OAL will be different. If you think that the bullet touching the lands is where your gun shoots the best the Soft seating would be the best for you!

This is necking sizing the case just enough to hold the bullet very slight. You want to be able to move the bullet in the neck with you fingers. Then when you chamber it pull the bullet out far enough that you know it will hit the lands and chamber it. The bullet will contact the lands and slide back in the case as you close the bolt! This is the most consistent method for shooting on the lands I have found!

I have a rifle that loves this and is shooting sub 1/2moa at 100m. When I pull the bullet back off the lands the gun turns into a 1" moa gun.

Terry

Terry.
    I did compare the factory round and the oal measurment using a comparitor and there the same bulet a sierra smk 250 gr
    I like the shorter set up myself just a little suprised .
    I will start at .010 off the lands and work up from there to keep the pressure resonable
    Bill