• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone shooting a 14.5 gas gun?

SporterII

Minuteman
Nov 23, 2006
Central Fl. USA
I have a 14.5" upper in 223 / 556 awaiting a scope which is on order. I plan to use this as a fun gun out to 300yds. as that distance is a common range in my travels and I am abandoning 22lr. It will be used suppressed.
Anyone else shooting a similar rig and what factory rounds do you use. I am not going to load for this rifle. 9 Twist Bushmaster that prints well at 100yds with several different factory loads. 50gr. BH Blue box being a standard. one and two digit lot #'s Fed. 193 is looking good so far as well.

Re: Anyone shooting a 14.5 gas gun?

I shoot a 14.5 AR, but mine is a 7 twist, and I run everything from 55 grain PMC to 77 grain Black Hills

If you live in a free state why not a 10.5?

FWIW I had a 14.5 and was never really happy with it velocity wise. But that could have been because of my particular barrel and what I was trying to do with it.

I run a 14.5 BCM mid-length, it shoots sub moa I can get one inch groups with a red dot/ irons and bags. You should be able to put anything through a 14.5 1x9.

I have a 14 1/2" "fun gun/travailing gun" that I shoot out to 300 yards using cheap, 62gr. green tip ammo and a 1X Leupold scope.
Anything 200 yards and closer it is point and shoot. With the non-magnified sight past 200 takes a bit more concentration, but again...put this carbine together for close(r) range shooting...and it fills that role nicely.

The upper is a JP PSC-11 with a 1:8 twist barrel.

Take care,Stan

I guess I'll throw mine into the mix... It's a 1:7 14.5" BCM BFH middy w pinned FSC556. I've never tried to see how it groups but it's fine for smacking steel at 300 yds. I usually stick to 62 gr M855 as well.

I haven't shot groups but I've let 4 first time AR shooters use my rifle at the range and they had no problem consistently pinging steel at 100 yards with a variety of bulk ammo (Military and Wally World).

Upper: Loki Weapon Systems 14.5" w/ pinned Vltor VC-1, midlength gas system, 1/8 twist.(Crappy cell phone pic)
IMAG1033.jpg

I run a 14.5" mid-length Daniel Defense with a 1:7" twist, LW pencil-barrel and pinned BC 1.5. I absolutely love it! Its very soft shooting, very reliable, and reasonably accurate. I'm shooting mostly handloads, but M193, M855, and Hornady 75 gr all shoot very well out of it.

I have a colt 6920 with a 14.5 1x7 pinned PWS.It shoots all bullet weights well.I have hit steel out to 400.It has a Vortex Viper mounted on it.It is my goto AR.Try some Hornady 75 gr.practice.It works great.

Are the 14.5" ar's considered class 3 weapons? Sorry for the brief hijack.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 78steeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are the 14.5" ar's considered class 3 weapons? Sorry for the brief hijack. </div></div>

In short, anything with a bbl less than 16" is considered an SBR and therefore requires paperwork, registration and the appropriate stamp.

If you permanently attach a muzzle device (pin or weld) making the bbl OAL over 16" it is not considered a SBR and doesn't need to be registered as such.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jn_fsu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I haven't shot groups but I've let 4 first time AR shooters use my rifle at the range and they had no problem consistently pinging steel at 100 yards with a variety of bulk ammo (Military and Wally World).

Upper: Loki Weapon Systems 14.5" w/ pinned Vltor VC-1, midlength gas system, 1/8 twist.(Crappy cell phone pic)
IMAG1033.jpg

</div></div>

That is great looking weapon. Who did the Cerokote?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 78steeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jn_fsu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I haven't shot groups but I've let 4 first time AR shooters use my rifle at the range and they had no problem consistently pinging steel at 100 yards with a variety of bulk ammo (Military and Wally World).

IMAG1033.jpg

</div></div>

That is great looking weapon. Who did the Cerokote? </div></div>
Thank you but thats a Krylon "backyard special" paint job that I did myself.

Im running a Rainier 14.5 barrel in 1-8 twist and it eat up any thing i put in it (mostly 55gr fmj and 77gr hp from black hills). I get about 1 moa with a red dot out to about 150yds (as far as ive gone so far ).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MM1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess I'll throw mine into the mix... It's a 1:7 14.5" BCM BFH middy w pinned FSC556. I've never tried to see how it groups but it's fine for smacking steel at 300 yds. I usually stick to 62 gr M855 as well.</div></div>

Doesn't the M855 damage your steel targets?

I remember watching someone shoot M855 at an AR500 steel target (with permission of the target owner). None of the rounds made it through the steel plate, but they all caused noticeable craters. One of the craters still had the little steel penetrator stuck in the center as if all the lead around it splattered away and left the penetrator behind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bedlam</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MM1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess I'll throw mine into the mix... It's a 1:7 14.5" BCM BFH middy w pinned FSC556. I've never tried to see how it groups but it's fine for smacking steel at 300 yds. I usually stick to 62 gr M855 as well.</div></div>

Doesn't the M855 damage your steel targets?

I remember watching someone shoot M855 at an AR500 steel target (with permission of the target owner). None of the rounds made it through the steel plate, but they all caused noticeable craters. One of the craters still had the little steel penetrator stuck in the center as if all the lead around it splattered away and left the penetrator behind. </div></div>

Not bad...some small surface marks, but it’s still fine. How close were they?

What exactly is cerokote finish. Is this a bake on process

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HFV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What exactly is cerokote finish. Is this a bake on process </div></div>

Cerakote is available in both heat cure and room temperature cure.