• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Anyone still use reflex suppressors, Allen Engineering AE30

DHwreckage

Private
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2010
Hey guys i was just doing some research on another suppressor and was wondering if anyone uses reflex suppressors anymore, most threads i found were pretty old. i was looking at an Allen engineering AE30 for my rifle, from the older threads i read suppression was top notch on them. Just curious to see if anyone still uses them and their thoughts. any comparisons with newer suppressor technology of today, is weight the only downfall to them? this will mainly be on a bolt gun.

I use an OPS 12th and a GA RSTA. I got into reflex cans through the OPS. I stuck with the reflex design because I like the two point mounting system. I’m also leery of what you might call cantilevered things like single point rifle cans, Larue extended eye relief mounts and undercut riverbanks.

Doc Dater had written something years back that stuck in my mind about two point systems and alignment being maintained if the suppressor loosens some, depending on the tolerance of the mount. This is my opinion/limited experience. I’m sure others could blow my ‘logic’ apart with facts and figures but that’s my take. I’ve not had any issues with the 12th in 11 years and several thousand rounds. The RSTA I have fewer rounds through but it has the same type lockup and the same tolerance to being unscrewed slightly. YMMV.

I’ve got a AEM5 that I’m very happy with, Ive got a Tikka 223 setup for it in the classifieds if you’re interested

I have an AEM5 as well. Love Ron's cans. If I had just one request, it's that he turn some out in Ti. His cans are tanks, and clearly built to withstand daily use by Joe Snuffy, but a lighter AEM5 size 30 cal that I could put on a large frame AR as well as a bolt action would be great. (think 16.5" 30 cal hunting rifle with just 4" of can hanging off the end)

Reactions: Potss
I’ve been using AE30’s and an AEM5 for a few years now. Yeah, their heavy but their quiet and built to last.

Buddy i shoot with has an AEM5 on a Mk12 Mod1 clone. The thing sounds amazing and has little back blast concidering it has a standard gas block and rifle buffer. Repeatability is excellent as well at the customer service. He had a small baffle strike and Ron fixed it for free with quick turnaround.

I have a Thunderbeast Ultra 7 30 cal and a Silencerco Speckwar 556 but wouldn’t feel shorted if i got an AEM5 instead of my Speckwar. (The Thunderbeast is about twice the price and for good reason)

I’ve been using OpsInc’s / Ron’s .22 and .30 cans since early 2000’s and they are workhorses. We have them on our duty .308 precision bolt guns and our Colt M4s and Commandos and they are still going strong. They are a little heavier than some of the cans out there now, but are very durable, have great sound attuention, are accurate and are repeatable. Quality cans and great customer service. You can’t go wrong with an AE30 on your rifle.

Reactions: garandman
now i just have to figure out if my barrel will work with one, i'll hopefully hear back from ADCO and tikka here soon.

There's the standard brake and collar route or you can look at having the taper machined into your barrel and the muzzle threaded 22x1.0M. The former would be more versatile perhaps but the latter may be more solid and less 'cobbled together' for lack of a better phrase.

I’ve got a 12th model, and 3 rifles 16”,18”,20” with brake/collar. Great can for sound. Like others have said, a bit heavy- but unlike my TBAC cans I don’t worry about heat/long strings. For semi/full auto really good stuff!

There's the standard brake and collar route or you can look at having the taper machined into your barrel and the muzzle threaded 22x1.0M. The former would be more versatile perhaps but the latter may be more solid and less 'cobbled together' for lack of a better phrase.

Man that sounds AWESOME to have it machined directly in the barrel...

Reactions: blcouch
I have two AEM5's (30 cal versions) that I run on various caliber rifles. I love them. It would be nice to be able to direct thread them sometimes though.

I have an OPS INC 12th model and it is OLD with tons of rounds through it.

Still quiet with nice tone. Mounts on my MK12 Mod 0, locks up tight. No issues.

Would I buy another if I needed one, Yes.

I have no experience with the .30 cal version

Another AEM5 (Ops 12th) owner here. Big fan of the reflex-mounted AE cans. Like others have said- built like tanks, solid/concentric lockup, and super nice quiet tone. The best customer service. Ever. Straight from the guy who makes them.

I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to buy either the AEM5-30 or AE30 along with the brake/collar combo.

Ive got an Ops Inc 12th model and a gen4 OSS BPR setup both for some AR's that I dumped some money into a while back. I use them when im taking new people to the range because of how much it softens the report of a .223 round and they are both 10x scoped rifles so we used them to shoot further away. It helps people who are new do it a lot easier.

They themselves just work. The ops inc is still to this day the quietest 556 can ive ever shot and the mount is so rock solid id bet my life on it. And the rifle it is on is a tack driver.

The OSS, i love that just as much, its reflexes 5" back over the barrel. the whole overall can is like some ridiculous 10 or 11 inch dong and barely adds 5 inches to the rifle. Its rock solid to. Ive got it on a 18" barrel 556 and have never had any accuracy issues what so ever. It as a suppressor is very nice. the way the can is designed to reduce blow back makes it probably the best 1st timers can ive ever used with anyone. I took my cousin out who had never shot ARs befor and in 4 rounds he was ringing a 6" plate at almost 800 yards.

I wish Surefire still made their reflex can.. that is one that I would love to have owned, AAC used to make a reflex style can as well. It was also a good can for guys that were running AR15s.

I plan on trying out some of the Griffin Armament OTB suppressors soon.

If you really want a Surefire FA556AR-BK (M4FA) contact me. If you aren’t in WA or Texas you’d need two stamps to get it though. I have muzzle devices also.

Where is the tikka listed? I’d like to take a look.
Sold my mk12 and would like to repurpose my AE5.

Mark
Think u quoted the wrong person

Here's a pic of a 12th model anyway lol
image.jpg

Year old thread bud...
Thanks for reminding me I have one of these in purgatory lol.
They are worth the wait, have an AE3/5 both are great. Had a high caliber sales mk12, so accurate it became boring to hit 5” at 500 ipsc hits all day long at 600 even in wind.

Reactions: BR7.62
AEM5 on high caliber mk12
AEM3 on 12.5” DD/Geissele sbr

Attachments

• 21A39419-4B95-4C63-B248-84956CE3D103.jpeg
    21A39419-4B95-4C63-B248-84956CE3D103.jpeg
    762.2 KB · Views: 145
  • 612F7A91-D4D2-4F8D-B2C8-E5F63D25D737.jpeg
    612F7A91-D4D2-4F8D-B2C8-E5F63D25D737.jpeg
    624.9 KB · Views: 1,018
Holy resurrection Batman, but just giving my 2 cents.
I have owned an Ops Inc 12th Model since 2010 and what must be one of the last 3rd Models since 2012.
Both are excellent performers, with the 12th seeing time on my MK12 and M4, putting up with both high-volume fire and high accuracy expectations.
The 3rd has seen time on 308 bolt rifles, AR10 in 308, GAP10 G2 in 260, 260 bolt rifle and 2 different 300wm bolt rifles. I gain about 25fps with it on the rifle and POI shifts are very repeatable and within about 1-2/10 mrad. Noise performance on both is excellent. No numbers for me but when I ran the 300wm with the 3rd on it at a match, all the ROs thanked me ?. Only beef I have is that the 3rd Model uses 11/16-24 threads instead of 5/8 or 3/4. Pretty sure the AE30 uses 5/8-24.

3rd on 308

3rd on 300wm

12th on MK12

GAP10 bare (notice collar on barrel)

GAP10 with 3rd

Last edited:
Ron also sells an AEM5-30. For some reason it's not on his website but it is a 30 cal version of the AEM5
It's 11.25" instead of 8.8".

This is probably how I'm going with my large frame build. As there is little info on it I'm not sure if there is any advantage over going with the AEM3, but the 5 has been so nice to switch from rifle to rifle I see no reason to rock the boat.

Ron will make you a AEM—5 in 30 cal. I know as I have one with one extra baffler, just get ahold of him and your dealer.

Reactions: Potss
I have an AMTAC suppressor that works really well.
I'd like to hear more, it's hard to find anybody who has one of these.

How's the back pressure? Ear levels? Muzzle levels? Any chance you can connect with somebody with a meter and get some numbers for us?

If you have an Ops Inc with the 11/16-24 threads and want to use current muzzle brakes I am using a Hughes Precision 11/16-24 (F) to 5/8-24 (M) adapter. They even make an adapter for M14 to go to a 5/8 male.

I'd like to hear more, it's hard to find anybody who has one of these.

How's the back pressure? Ear levels? Muzzle levels? Any chance you can connect with somebody with a meter and get some numbers for us?

The back pressure is definitely the least of my 2 other rifle suppressors. I would rank them as such: 1) Recce 5- highest back pressure 2) saker 556 medium back pressure 3) AMTAC- least back pressure. The AMTAC didn't produce the same blowback to the face as the Recce 5 and Saker 556 on my Sig MCX.

I don't have a sound meter to measure db, so I can't speak to that. I will say it tames a .308 very nicely. 22" 6.5 grendel in a AR15 just sounds like a pop of air. Very easy to hear impacts.

The downfall to this suppressor vs something like the AE is size. It's a big can, but on my 26" 308 Howa 1500 it only adds 3.5" of length to the barrel and the weight of it significantly reduced the barrel harmonics transferred to the chassis. Without it, the barrel vibrates the whole chassis creating a "thunk" noise but the suppressor almost completely eliminates it.

you guys suck....just what i needed a reminder about AE's cans. all the above photos looks great though! was thinking about going Q or TB for my next can but idk.

Older thread, but question on current topic. I have had an OPS Inc 15th (5.56) model since '09, love it, very first suppressor.

I've normally run this setup on AR15s, but recently came into possession of a .223 bolt gun setup I'd like to suppress. The barrel is currently a m24 contour, 20in, threaded 5/8-24.

I know I'd have to recontour the barrel to build in the integral collar, but given the threads, I assume I would have have to cut this barrel shorter to rethread? Would rather not lose the full 20in, but I will if I have to.

Older thread, but question on current topic. I have had an OPS Inc 15th (5.56) model since '09, love it, very first suppressor.

I've normally run this setup on AR15s, but recently came into possession of a .223 bolt gun setup I'd like to suppress. The barrel is currently a m24 contour, 20in, threaded 5/8-24.

I know I'd have to recontour the barrel to build in the integral collar, but given the threads, I assume I would have have to cut this barrel shorter to rethread? Would rather not lose the full 20in, but I will if I have to.
Talk to Ron at Allen Engineering. I am pretty sure he makes or made an adapter that threads onto 1/2-28 that allows you to attach the can. I had one for my 12th model on my M4

Reactions: chrome
Ron is excellent to deal with. Call him he will set you up or tell you what to buy to make it work. He made custom colors for a couple POFs to fit their barrel contours for me.

Here's a big informative thread about opsinc/AE

image.jpg

@RonA - Awesome news, highly suggests I can keep the full 20inch on the barrel. I am on the AE website - would I need to special/direct order the .223 brake in 5/8-24 from AE or would a dealer have those in stock?

@RonA - Awesome news, highly suggests I can keep the full 20inch on the barrel. I am on the AE website - would I need to special/direct order the .223 brake in 5/8-24 from AE or would a dealer have those in stock?
Just send me an email(contact on web site) and I can take care of it for you.
RonA

Howa 1500 with a 26” barrel AMTAC suppressor. Only adds 3.5” to the barrel.