• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Anyone try a Leupold VX-R Tactical Patrol yet?

matt33

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2009
Bradford/Susquehanna Co, PA
I'm in the market for a new scope for my Noveske Recon. I stumbled upon an ad for a Leupold Tactical VX-R Patrol 3-9x. At only $600, it looks very appealing. It has a great looking illuminated TMR reticle, 30mm tube, and .1 mil low-profile target turrets. When I spoke with Leupold, they insisted it is made in the USA. However, I'm wondering if it's robust enough for non-gentle field use. I probably won't be cranking these turrets too much, but accurate tracking is also very important to me. I'm looking for any firsthand reviews.
http://swfa.com/Leupold-3-9x40-VX-R-Patrol-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P49445.aspx

Initially I was going to buy a NF 2.5-10x, but I'm having a hard time justifying spending $1,500+ right now for the NF (mrad, mil-dot). One of the big hold-backs I have with NF is that none of the 2.5-10x reticles seems ideal for my needs. When I look through the LV or mil-dot, they are sometimes hard for me to pick up quickly in my wooded/brushy environment. However, I still haven't ruled out NightForce entirely because there are some wide open areas that the NF reticles work well for me. Sometimes, I'm happier in the end if I just suck it up and spend the coin, but in this case, money is not the only issue.

In the past, I had a Leupold MK4 6.5-20x with a TMR ret and I really liked it. While it doesn't compare in overall quality to my S&B 5-25x PMII, it certainly seemed serviceable enough for what I need now (although it was too large for my current needs). Had it not been for mil reticle and MOA turrets I'd still have the Leupold on another rifle. Also, I thought the TMR reticle was outstanding and it would seem to be perfect for my Recon.

Please share your input.

Re: Anyone try a Leupold VX-R Tactical Patrol yet?

I contacted Leupold and should hear back next week. I contacted Steven who is the tactical scope guy at Leupold. Should hear something next week (Steven is out of town). It is made in the US and should holdup fine. It is the same quality as the discontinued XVIII model. I am planning on getting one to try.

John

I've read a couple reviews on different sites, so far they sound pretty positive - it's more or less a "tactical" version of their new hunting scopes. From my point of view it's the kind of scope leupold should have been making several years ago.

It's been at least two weeks since some asked this very question.

I have been testing the 2-7 and 3-9 hunting scopes

well done

2-7 #4 at 250 yards
firedot002.jpg

daylight, set to max, 2x, fence at 10 yards
don't expect "aimpoint bright"

firedot006.jpg

I contacted Steven at Leupold on Monday. He said they released a few in the system and should be in full production in the next month or two. I wonder if they are going to come out with a 3-12 model?

John

i've sold a few of them, i thought they were pretty good, the illumination system is pretty neat.