• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone work up a load with 80gr ELD-m in 223 yet?

I just got this data yesterday . Lapua case FGMM primers 24.4 varget set to 015 off the lands 2860fps. So that is what is working for me. Mileage may very. :sneaky:

Attachments

• IMG_0901.JPG
    IMG_0901.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0903.JPG
    IMG_0903.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 148
Just to revive this thread... just got a Criterion Rem/age chambered in 223 match. Put it in a trued Remington action (Manners stock,
Triggertech special trigger, Vortex PST gen2 scope... nothing fancy but serviceable stuff). First few rounds while zeroing couldn’t get the rifle to shoot sub MOA. 22.5 grains H4895, 0.050” off the lands. It was running 2750 fps on the Labradar.
I was disappointed bc other Rem/age barrels I had (6Cm, 6xc, 6br) have always shot sub 1/2 MOA, most actually 1/3 MOA or better
Obviously, will start playing w seating depth and may be a tunner. My disappointment is bc this is the second barrel, my friend has another, that doesn’t shoot (I do understand the jury’s out on mine). Wonder if bad barrel lot?... my buddy tried several bullets and couldn’t get it to shoot...

Reactions: jLorenzo
Just to revive this thread... just got a Criterion Rem/age chambered in 223 match. Put it in a trued Remington action (Manners stock,
Triggertech special trigger, Vortex PST gen2 scope... nothing fancy but serviceable stuff). First few rounds while zeroing couldn’t get the rifle to shoot sub MOA. 22.5 grains H4895, 0.050” off the lands. It was running 2750 fps on the Labradar.
I was disappointed bc other Rem/age barrels I had (6Cm, 6xc, 6br) have always shot sub 1/2 MOA, most actually 1/3 MOA or better
Obviously, will start playing w seating depth and may be a tunner. My disappointment is bc this is the second barrel, my friend has another, that doesn’t shoot (I do understand the jury’s out on mine). Wonder if bad barrel lot?... my buddy tried several bullets and couldn’t get it to shoot...
Friend of mine is running a criterion savage nut barrel on a bighorn. Same results as you and very disappointed.

Interesting, I have 3 other Criterions in 6 mm calibers and they’re lasers. Not sure if a bad lot or something

Just ran some more of these today Lapua brass 24.5 4895 2.510 oal 26” Bartlein origin action. Run at 2950 my son ran them from 450,600,700,800 1000 with first round hits no problem. This is my backup match rifle.

In my case I don't think the problem is the bullet but rather the barrel... I'm seriously thinking on picking up a Bartlein 223 barrel and ditching this Criterion.

Reactions: deersniper
Running a .223 match chamber, which I believe is .090" freebore. Bartlein gain twist finished at 6.8 twist and 22" long.

23.5 gr of 8208 dumped from the dillon. ~2800 fps and shoots way plenty good for loading quick and throwing powder. Shot sub 1/2 moa standing off a bag and tripod the other day til 1 opened it to 1/2, and it shoots pretty good at 700 too. Definitely a fun barrel to keep my Bighorn in action til I put on the hunting barrel.

I'm happy to report that I sent the barrel back to Criterion and that their customer service, Michael, is outstanding. They cut a new barrel for me, and it shoots 0.4-0.3 MOA...

I'm happy to report that I sent the barrel back to Criterion and that their customer service, Michael, is outstanding. They cut a new barrel for me, and it shoots 0.4-0.3 MOA...

My recent experience with the same barrel is the same. I tried the 75 ELDM and 80.5 Berger FB. No matter the powder or seating, I just couldn't get good groups. I switched to 88's and those shoot lights out. I was hoping to shoot something lighter, but I might not be able to.

My recent experience with the same barrel is the same. I tried the 75 ELDM and 80.5 Berger FB. No matter the powder or seating, I just couldn't get good groups. I switched to 88's and those shoot lights out. I was hoping to shoot something lighter, but I might not be able to.

Are you also running a match chamber? Do you recall when you purchased it? I'm assuming you got it from NSS.

I just bought a replacement for my 2018 Wylde chambered barrel that has been an absolute laser with 55s, 69s, 73s, & 75's.

Are you also running a match chamber? Do you recall when you purchased it? I'm assuming you got it from NSS.

I just bought a replacement for my 2018 Wylde chambered barrel that has been an absolute laser with 55s, 69s, 73s, & 75's.

Yup, 223 match chamber, bought in August 2020 from nss direct. I even called and asked and all I was told was that I needed to try another powder and/or depth.

Reactions: bunsen27
I’ve been fighting this CBI for 2yrs and no combination of anything shoots consistently under 1moa.

Reactions: RogueTanker
What powder are you running for the 88s? I have a box I was going to try.

Both are with Varget 24.5. I have been working with Shooters World Precision same load and looks like I will be getting the same results

Attachments

• 512601FC-640D-4226-B3E1-480AEA8D7D7F.png
    512601FC-640D-4226-B3E1-480AEA8D7D7F.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 101
  • 69D850D2-522D-4E02-9C9D-E89A25450CEE.png
    69D850D2-522D-4E02-9C9D-E89A25450CEE.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 110
Both my shooting partner and I are working to find a load with 80 ELDM’s. Both of us settled on a charge weight in the 24.2-24.5 range. But neither of us can get these bullets to run in our .223 bolt guns. I tested out to 0.040” but fount no good group. My rifle has a 28” 7 twist Krieger barrel. His has a 26” barrel.

I tested some 80.5 Berger’s, and they shoot extremely well.

Any ideas?

Both my shooting partner and I are working to find a load with 80 ELDM’s. Both of us settled on a charge weight in the 24.2-24.5 range. But neither of us can get these bullets to run in our .223 bolt guns. I tested out to 0.040” but fount no good group. My rifle has a 28” 7 twist Krieger barrel. His has a 26” barrel.

Any ideas?
I have had pretty good luck with 25.0gr of N140 and the 80gr ELD. Right around 3000 fps in a 26". LC brass looks good. Haven't even tested seating depth yet, I believe I'm around 2.49" but dont quote me on that I'll have to check. Ive been loading all kinds of powders and heavy bullets in 223 lately trying to find what I like the best.
A stout charge of 8208 and the 75gr ELD is a freaking laser beam.
As far as the 80gr goes I'm going to try Varget and Tac when I have time. For now the N140 seems to be super consistent, all VV powder Ive shot so far have done very well.

Any ideas?
What powder is this with? That charge range seems to be the sweet spot for multiple people including myself with 8208 XBR.

I’m shooting the 75s and I try the 80s. I lost 200 ft./s velocity because of the increased mass and also the longer bearing surface. The velocity loss outweighed the gains in ballistic coefficient.

Reactions: jLorenzo
I’m shooting the 75s and I try the 80s. I lost 200 ft./s velocity because of the increased mass and also the longer bearing surface. The velocity loss outweighed the gains in ballistic coefficient.
Yeah definitely have to check and see which do best for you, the 75s are hard to beat unless you get 80s or 88s going quite fast. 200 FPS seems like a lot, for me the difference was around 50-60 FPS between the 75 and 80 ELD.

Reactions: secondofangle2
Began load development using the 80gr ELD out of my AR15 26" WOA with 1/8 twist and WOA's custom varmint chamber. Using Ramshot TAC with 5.56 data rather than 223 and CCI450. Started at 21.9 grs and .020" off lands or 2.410" produced 1/4 inch group at 200 yards. Hand fed each round.

Working up the charge results were not near as good until I got within 1 gr of max for 5.56 and groups shrank to all touching same hole.

Don't have velocity and SD numbers yet but will retest the loads near max and see if things change.

Plan to try RL15 after retesting best loads with TAC.
How did your testing go with RL 15? I have a 24” varmint upper from WOA.

I have a savage with a criterion 26” rem match barrel 1-7” twist. Originally started with the 75 eld and xbr. Was not impressed with that combo so switched to varget. Found a node at about 2865fps which was 24gr with oal 2.450”. Switched to the 80 eld and found the same node at 2870 fps (24.4gr) and another at 2920 fps at 25.0gr. Both of those SD’s were 6 and shot .5”-.75” groups at 100 yards.

Reactions: wadeestes
Began load development using the 80gr ELD out of my AR15 26" WOA with 1/8 twist and WOA's custom varmint chamber. Using Ramshot TAC with 5.56 data rather than 223 and CCI450. Started at 21.9 grs and .020" off lands or 2.410" produced 1/4 inch group at 200 yards. Hand fed each round.

Working up the charge results were not near as good until I got within 1 gr of max for 5.56 and groups shrank to all touching same hole.

Don't have velocity and SD numbers yet but will retest the loads near max and see if things change.

Plan to try RL15 after retesting best loads with TAC.
Did you find a good load with RL15? I’d love to know. I have the same WO upper as you. Thanks!

Anyone know of any 80gr ELD bullets in stock? I've checked all my usual places and they are out. I see some at places I've never heard of, but am concerned they are scams.

Anyone know of any 80gr ELD bullets in stock? I've checked all my usual places and they are out. I see some at places I've never heard of, but am concerned they are scams.
Check midsouthshooters supply. They've had 88s and 75s on sale. They usually have the 80s too.
*nevermind they're out. That's the first time they haven't had them in a long while.

Reactions: kentuckyMarksman