• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Applied Ballistics Mobile App

Re: Applied Ballistics Mobile App

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryan Litz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The ranges specified for ballistic calibration are optimal in terms of the bullets Mach number. The first calibration point will always be high transonic/low supersonic, the second will be on the other side of transonic. So the ranges that correspond to these points will be different for each bullet/velocity combination, and will always optimize the calibration. For now the calibration must happen within those ranges in order to prevent un-knowing users from trying to calibrate at 200 yards or something. If the policy proves to be too limiting, we may change it to allow calibration at any range, but still advise the ranges for best practice. It would suck to only be able to get a target to 1450 yards, and the app not let you calibrate before 1460.
</div></div>

I think with the 175 Berger OTMs, assuming 2710 fps the first range was ~750-950 and the next range was ~1650-1800. With a 308 dialing in at that range is not easy. I have tried as far as 1740 yards and got a hit once out of about 20 tries. Most times we can't even see the hits to adjust off of. The other issue is if shooting a round that is not stable through transsonic, i.e. a 155 Scenar, there is no guarentee of consistancy anyway. Plus, what if you go to a range and there are no targets at the "recomended" distances.

glock,
AB Mobile works well on Kindle. Unfortunately until AB Mobile is made available thru the amazon market, kindle users won't be able to access/download it without seriously hacking their devices.

CanSniper,
You can calibrate at range 1 independent of the other two since range 1 is calibrating your MV. After it calibrates your MV, the program will use that for future calculations so it doesn't matter what atmosphere you get into after that. However range 2 and 3 do have to be shot in the same atmosphere. There should rarely be a need for a range beyond range 2, which is the other side of transonic. It's just there for those who push way the hell out there. Most calibrations will be complete with just one range input, and some who shoot ELR will get to range 2.

skigolfmike,
The reticle view works well for ffp also. Just make sure the magnification is set to your 'reticle true magnif' in the rifle profile and it will be correct. It will only be wrong if you move the magnification. We're considering a ffp checkbox which would eliminate all inputs and controls related to magnification so there's no chance of user error on this point.

Regarding the ballistic calibration at range; if you're not going to be shooting beyond the first calibration point, then it's not necessary to enter that value. Calibrating at range 1 will lock you in from muzzle to beyond range 1. Only if you're shooting far beyond the first calibration point is it necessary to calibrate at range 2.
You're correct regarding bullets that are not stable at transonic speed; they cannot be predicted. The calibration methods are in place to accommodate those rounds which are stable.

Similar case for the custom curves. There are curves for bullets which are not transonic stable at sea level, but are at higher altitude. It's up to the user to know/determine if their bullet is transonic stable in their environment and set expectations accordingly.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

-Bryan

Thanks Bryan!

If you are shooting beyond the first range, but not going out to the 2nd range I think it would still help to be able to use a 2nd data point. Plus, it's not always easy to find a target to get dope on in the recomended range.

That said, I got good dope on a 950 and a 938 target yesterday and used that dope to adjust the MV. The numbers I got were pretty accurate the rest of the day.

Also, why was the MV Tool removed from the table/graph display. This is a really handy tool for tuning your MV based on data you have from the bench.

Thanks, Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SurgeonPredator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can recommend the Motorola Defy, it's a "rugged" phone and I really like it. Mine runs a custom operating system. Default would be Android 2.3 "Froyo", I run Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich" smoothly.

It has great internal storage and up to 32 GB external, 512MB RAM and now runs up to 1000Mhz (800Mhz default).

The Defy+ is not much different, heard it is more difficult to get root access to alter more system settings and stuff. But You won't need any of that for running AB or Shooter.

They are quite cheap and tough. Don't count on the IP67 standard, but it is more than most high-end smartphones and way better than any iPhone that breaks by looking at it in the field.

Defys on eBay go for 240$ as far as I can tell from over the pond. </div></div>

I can't comment on the Android market but I did upgrade from a series of dumb "tough" phones.
I broke two Casio G'Zone phones and had a long string of broken handsets previously due to my being tough on them.

The iPhone 4 I've been using has lasted longer than any other handset I've used. It's in a Lifeproof case.
If Liquipel had been readily available before I bought my case then I would be confident with that, a regular screen protector and generic iPhone case.

Not saying that iPhone are not durable if protected, but the iPhone is a golden cage in the end. You have limited control over the core functions of the phone and are forced to use the AppStore, only option would be a "Jailbreak".

The Android system is way more open by default, the source code is released by Google after it has been around for some time, so the community develops great aftermarket firmware upgrades and with "full" access aka "root", there are much more options for the user to consider.

For the shooter or hunter, I believe the iPhone might be too expensive to toss it around, protected or not.

That's why I can recommend the Defy. It is not rugged per se but keeps out rain and is quite durable. The low price is also a positive aspect, just like the possibility to upgrade the firmware to a late android version.

If I remember correctly, Motorola (now Google) plans a new version of the Defy, which would be a great replacement for the then outdated stock software.

I run Shooter and GPS software (GPS Essentials) on a stable system. I don't have to worry about rain, snow, wind or dirt, because my phone made contact with all that without any hick up or damage.

Now I'll stop this sort of off-topic post, and will watch the progress of AB, as soon as the P4F reticle of my S&B 5-25 is available, I might consider purchasing AB as a "upgrade" to Shooter.

Not my issue, but a translated version for the German market, if there is one, might be nice.

Anyway, keep up the good work, Bryan, much appreciated. Shooter or AB both profit from your data.

Bryan,

Hello and thanks for the enhancements to the original shooter, I use that one often. I have a question before I go to this version.

What data populates from Kestrel? I find it strange that my Kestrel 4500 knows target direction (after I set that), and wind direction but does not auto populate into Shooter app. The bluetooth output from my Kestrel to the laptop does have wind direction available. I actually emailed Sean about this yesterday but have not heard back. I was looking this morning at some new bullets and ran accross this app.

Does this app populate wind direction from Kestrel? This would be a great addition to those of us with a 4500, wind vane, and blue tooth.

Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skigolfmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Also, why was the MV Tool removed from the table/graph display. This is a really handy tool for tuning your MV based on data you have from the bench.

</div></div>

This!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: woodspider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really like Shooter for my IPHONE and will buy AB for Iphone even at 30 that's a fair price.
But I believe marketing to the IPhone first not after the cheaper phones makes sense. People who own iPhones appreciate quality and will pay without hesitation, cheap phone buyers are sometimes the guys who won't drop 30 on an app. Just my humble opinion. iPhone simply blows the rest away its not even debatable. People who don't have one think they saved money buying cheaper I respectfully speak as one of those cheap phone owners way back. </div></div>

I had to laugh at that because of the complete audacity of the paragraph. Better go check the specs on your iPhone. You obviously have not spent time around the android platform. I am a former iPhone owner (3G & 4).

Let's see, my HTC Amaze has a faster processor (almost 2x as fast), more RAM, bigger screen, can run Flash, has a removable battery, removable mem card, is infinitely more customisable, HTC has real tech service that I can call, and T-Mobile will give me the unlock code if I ask, so I can use the phone overseas. That's just off the top of my head. So yeah, you were right, it's not even debatable.

Oh and as for android owners being cheap...Give me a break.

Sorry for the thread drift. Bryan, good job on this. I'll check out the app.

Marty:
Keep crying! specs really??? My iPhone is smoking fast I can't tell the difference only hacker types who should be on a computer not a phone can tell any difference. Look at the sales figures really look android vs iphone market share it's not debatable is it? Removable memory card so you can lose it lol. Just save the time and go IPhone if you don't want to be left behind . iPhone 5 comes out just before This Christmas and will take the entire market except for those that can't afford it which is understandable in this economy I don't fault that.

Umm, I'm not crying...I am pointing out that you are wrong...

Android users are not cheap. It's a piece of gear. Sales figures have nothing to do with how I decide whether a product is better for me than another. If that were the standard then everyone on this forum would just shoot a Remington 700.

Read my first post again. I've had two iPhones. I am now with Android and I'm never ever going back. The Android is the better tool by far for many reasons. Notice how I wrote that without insulting you or the other iPhone users on this board.

If you want to continue this then take it to PM please. I don't think Bryan intended this thread to turn into a phone debate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryan Litz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
AB Mobile works well on Kindle.
</div></div>

So... exactly what is it listed under?

I've looked for the following in the Kindle store:

'applied ballistics'
'ballistic'
'applied'
'ab mobile'
'litz' (this was the only way I finally found Shooter for my iPod Touch, searching on the author's name).

So far... nada.

Monte, there's a Google Market link in the original post, you can purchase from a PC web browser there and it will let you tell it to install to your device there (that's how I did it).

I just emailed some drag curve and reticle requests (some 140gr-class 6.5's & Vortex Razore EBR-2/EBR-2B).

A feature request that I previously made for shooter, but applies to Applied Ballistics as well...:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
- Multiple "saved" targets. I can imagine a pretty slick implementation: Add two buttons to the HUD options menu: "Add target", and "remove current target" (greyed out when only one target exists). When you hit the "add target" button, a new HUD screen is created cloning all the values that were in the the existing HUD screen. On the newly created HUD target screen, you can adjust all the values to reflect the new target. Here's what I think really makes it work: you can then "swipe" between the HUD pages just like the Android desktop.

So before a multiple target situation -- you set up range/etc for your first target. Hit the menu button and hit the "add target" button, adjust the values for the second target, and so on until you have all the targets for the stage or whatever entered. When it's time to shoot, you swipe over to the first target.

After engaging the first target, it would be super easy to just reach down and give the phone a quick "swipe" to switch the HUD to the next target and resume shooting. Would beat the hell out scribbling the dope for all the targets down
</div></div>

Bug report:
"Clicks" windage reports "U/D" for direction instead of "L/R".

Speaking of clicks: Please add option to ditch "clicks" in HUD column. It is pretty redundant if you use Mils, and rather use the space to allow the HUD dope numbers to be even bigger, or better yet, use the space for new features
smile.gif

I'm thinking not...

Google Play app doesn't show up in a search on my Kindle Fire, Google Play doesn't show me as having any Android devices on my Google account (which I have accessed with my Fire), and 'Kindle Fire' doesn't show up anywhere on the Supported Devices list.

Plus the top couple returns for a Google search for 'Kindle Fire Google Play' are for rooting/jailbreaking a Kindle Fire to use Google Play.

This doesn't sound like 'AB Mobile works well on Kindle' to me...

App is up and running on Samsung Galaxy Tab Plus. Tearing through it now. With regards to reticles. How about a "build custom reticle" feature where the user defines parameters such as:

increment type: hash,dot,oval,diamond, etc.
major increment interval type: moa,mil, etc.
major increment interval measure; full, half, quarter, eight, etc.
minor increment interval: moa, mil, etc.
minor increment interval measure; full, half, quarter, eight, etc.
Elevation line range: e.g. 10 mils
# of Elevation lines: allows "grid" style reticle
Windage line range: e.g. 5 mils
# of Windage lines: allows "grid" style reticle
Zero intersection: i.e. point at which elevation and windage intersect

just a thought.

- Sean

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">One issue i'm having is when opening the app. It completely by passes the preferences (main) screen and goes directly to the "Firearms" screen. Using a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus (wifi only) no phone though internet is connected.</span>

Disregard. I figured it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: memilanuk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryan Litz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
AB Mobile works well on Kindle.
</div></div>

So... exactly what is it listed under?

I've looked for the following in the Kindle store:

'applied ballistics'
'ballistic'
'applied'
'ab mobile'
'litz' (this was the only way I finally found Shooter for my iPod Touch, searching on the author's name).

So far... nada.
</div></div>

You may be right...

I know the app 'works' on the kindle fire device because I tested the prototype on one by installing the .apk directly from a link set up for testing. However, since the kindle is an amazon 'thing', it won't allow access to the google play market, which is currently the only place to get it.

Eventually AB Mobile will be available on the amazon market and kindle users will be able to access it via that market, but unfortunately it's not possible now unless you somehow hack or root your device (not recommended).

My apologies for the misleading answer. I'll revise it to be more complete.

Thanks to everyone for your comments. We're tracking them and making plans accordingly.

-Bryan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outlaw45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$30 on the program, now I have to buy other reticles? Seriously? </div></div>Ditto

And we have to buy the additional bullet data for $2 a pop?

No thank you...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Delfuego</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outlaw45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$30 on the program, now I have to buy other reticles? Seriously? </div></div>Ditto

And we have to buy the additional bullet data for $2 a pop?

No thank you... </div></div>

Reticles will be added to the library on request, and made available for free, not as in-app purchases.

The custom drag curves are $2 in-app purchases. However they're not required to make the program work. They're only necessary if you're shooting beyond transonic range.

-Bryan

[/quote]

Reticles will be added to the library on request, and made available for free, not as in-app purchases.

The custom drag curves are $2 in-app purchases. However they're not required to make the program work. They're only necessary if you're shooting beyond transonic range.

-Bryan [/quote]

Please add US Optics MPR, Premier GEN 2XR and NF MLR. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

-Bryan </div></div>

Please add US Optics MPR, Premier GEN 2XR and NF MLR. Thanks. </div></div>

NightForce MLR is already in there.

Will add USO MPR to the list.

If you root and install a ROM on your Kindle, you can turn it into an Android tablet. That is what I did. The Kindle Fire is no more

It is a bit of a process...and requires a little research and a leap of faith, but in the end you are rewarded with the wonderful Ice Cream Sandwich OS. Check YouTube for vids on the process, as well as the XDA site. Keep in mind you instantly void your warranty with Amazon when you do this.

It is not for everyone to try, but now Google Play is wide open, and I'm free to get this app. Once you break free it is hard to go back. In true testament to my inner geek...I'm actually overclocking my Kindle...simply because I can!

Wow...I can't believe I was able to marry two things I love--marksmanship and sticking it to the proverbial e-Man. What a day I have had.

Whoops, sorry about that Monte, missed that you were Kindle Fire user. Makes sense it wouldn't be there unless the app has been submitted to the Amazon app store.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: memilanuk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm thinking not...

Google Play app doesn't show up in a search on my Kindle Fire, Google Play doesn't show me as having any Android devices on my Google account (which I have accessed with my Fire), and 'Kindle Fire' doesn't show up anywhere on the Supported Devices list.

Plus the top couple returns for a Google search for 'Kindle Fire Google Play' are for rooting/jailbreaking a Kindle Fire to use Google Play.

This doesn't sound like 'AB Mobile works well on Kindle' to me...</div></div>

Also please add the Mil-Quad reticle from SWFA...that would make many people happy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outlaw45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And the MV tool? </div></div>

AB Mobile has a more expanded capability for calibrating your solution. Thru 'ballistic calibration' you can enter your range and observed drop and the program will calculate the MV which produces that drop. In addition, if you're shooting thru transonic, you can enter another range/drop set further downrange and ballistic calibration will also figure a drag correction for your bullet thru transonic.

This application of ballistic calibration includes the same functionality as the MV tool in shooter, while also providing the capability of calibrating drag further down range.

Some users like the manual 'feel' of tapping in velocity and seeing the solution respond, and match for a table of ranges. However when you calibrate a ballistic solution based on observed range/drop, the most important data point is the farthest data point. If you have drop data at 200, 400, 600, 800 and 1000 yards, and it's all good, you want to do the calibration based on the 1000 yard drop because it will give you the best resolution. Those data points at 200, 400, 600 yards are basically meaningless for use in calibration because at those ranges there's simply not enough drop to measure well enough to do an accurate calibration.

So the interface of the MV tool is different, but in the new ballistic calibration:
1) The calculation is automatic, which saves you from tapping in manually
2) The program tells you the optimal range at which to shoot the calibration for best (most accurate) results.*
3) The same calibration interface allows you to enter up to 3 range/drop pairs which allows calibration of the variables that matter most in their respective flight regimes. In other words, the ballistic calibration tool contains all the functionality of the MV tool, with the addition of some smarts to guide users into calibrating their solution in the most effective/accurate way.

*Currently the ballistic calibration tool won't allow range/drop pairs outside the optimal ranges for each set. We're going to lift this constraint so the program will allow data entry for any range, but still show the 'advised' ranges to calibrate. Frankly what I'm afraid of is users trying to zero at 100 yards and 'calibrating' at 200 and 300 yards which would almost certainly do more damage to their long range solution than if they left it alone. But there are enough users who know what they're doing but just can't quite get targets within the optimal range, so the constraint will have to be lifted.

-Bryan

I agree that using 200 or 300 would not give the beat solution. The problem is when you only have 600, 700 and 1000 and it currently asks for a range between 750 & 950. I'd put in the 1000 dope into the BC calc if it would let me. Will be glad when that change is implemented.

Don't try too hard to make the app idiot proof, then only idiots will want to use it.
grin.gif

Bryan, thanks for your effort. I like this app.

I have had a couple times where it locked up my cell phone. I'm not certain if its the phone or the app. The times it has happened has always been when I am going to the HUD or the Table showing the chart of drop data. Not complaining mind you, just an observation.

BTW my phone is an HTC Inspire.

Sean

Bryan,

Any reply to the comments above about Kestrel wind direction population? I checked with customer support for Kestrel and the data for wind speed and direction comes from the 4500BT. It would be great if the wind changed all we would have to do is update with the Kestrel atmosphere and be back in business.

Thanks,
Tim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kgw43</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please excuse the ignorance here, but I don't have a smartphone, and don't plan on getting one soon. What would be the cheapest device I could buy to run this new ballistics program? Any help would be appreciated. </div></div>

If you want a smaller device, (phone-sized for instance) take a look at the pay as you go cell phones, as you aren't forced into using the phone service. Just stick to the more well known brands like LG or Samsung, especially if you plan to use a bluetooth Kestrel. I use an HTC phone, and while my kestrel works fine, there have been reports of Kestrels not playing well with HTC devices. There's quite a few options available for considerably less than 200 dollars, and the size makes them ultra portable compared to tablets. You can even get ones with slide-out keyboards, if you don't care for using the touchscreen to enter data. By sticking with the bigger manufacturers, you should have better aftermarket support for accessories, like screen protectors, which I highly recommend if you are throwing it in a pack or range bag.

Hope this helps.

-Tom

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T.G.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bryan,

Any reply to the comments above about Kestrel wind direction population? I checked with customer support for Kestrel and the data for wind speed and direction comes from the 4500BT. It would be great if the wind changed all we would have to do is update with the Kestrel atmosphere and be back in business.

Thanks,
Tim

</div></div>

Bryan, I want to second this. It's the only gripe/inconvenience I have found when using Shooter. I have my Kestrel in the wind vane mount, so it isn't always facing me, especially when the wind shifts here. I just found this thread today and like the improvements.

Also is the Vortex EBR-1 MOA reticle available in this app?

A simple question. We use a HorusKestrel Atrag for our ballistic solver. We shoot M118LR, out of 20" Larue's. Should I go with this solver, or just stick with what I got? I want the best possible solution for accurate shot placement, but the solver has to be "field" friendly.

Kinda new to the whole ballistic solvers so Im just trying to find the best(and easy to learn) application for my team.

I will look into the wind direction from kestrel issue.

GasGunOBR,
This tool is very good in a team application. If you get dedicated devices (tablets, or phone sized android media players) you can register them all to one 'team' account. This allows for the whole team to access/share a common library of weapons and ammo so you're all essentially working off the same sheet of music. Team profiles can be updated and synced any where you have a data connection.

The tool integrates with kestrel wirelessly via blue-tooth, and gives you a much bigger and better interface than doing everything from the little kestrel screen. It is convenient to have it all in one package (horus/kestrel) but I find the interface and buttons too small. Furthermore, you can pull in weather from gps which negates the need for a kestrel except for wind.

Please PM me if you have any questions about how this would work for your team.

-Bryan

I'm shooting the Horus H-27 reticle which is FFP. I hope a more FFP mil reticle is available for upgrade soon.

Brian posted earlier that he is thinking of adding a FFP check box to eliminate user error when using FFP with the solver.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm shooting the Horus H-27 reticle which is FFP. I hope a more FFP mil reticle is available for upgrade soon. </div></div>

The program works for a FFP scope, you don't have to wait for the "check box" option. There is a post about this above.

Bryan,

I have your program up and running on a Samsung Galaxy Tab. Questions/comments;

1. Two of the Berger bullets I shoot aren't listed in your library (80.5g match full-bore target, and the 180g Hybrid) I want to enter the G7 BC manually, but I can't seem to do it. The program allows me to enter a minimum velocity, but how do I enter the BC?

2. Now that I own a copy, how do updates work? Will they be automatic, or do I download them through Google Play?

3. I'd like to request reticles for the Gen 2 XR and the SWFA quad-mil.

4. I too would like the ability to calibrate my trajectory at shorter ranges. I understand it will not be as accurate.

Thanks

Bryan,
Good job! Got it & really like it. Bolt56

I was using the ballistic correction this weekend and I actually managed to get good dope at 1740 for the Berger OTM. Unfortunately, the range it wanted was 1790-19nn, so I could not use a good data point. Any chance an update is coming soon?

Update: I actually figgured out how to use the value for 1740. I got the difference between the 1740 value and the 1790 value in the app and added that to the real dope to put it in the BC correction. That corrected the calculated value for 1740 to match the real value. I know doing that is essentually an approximation, but it did seem to give me a good set of values.

I used this app to build range cards for the entire 2012 Sniper's Hide Cup and the corrections were spot on using the G1 curve. Took me some messing around to find it, but checking the option to save prior ranges and environmental values is useful.

I think a great option would be to have it take some sort of snapshot and export all the values and corrections to a CSV file like you can do with the ballistic tables. At the cup for example, it would have been great to tap a button and save the values, and dope, so I could put it all in my logbook later.

Yes, I wrote them down anyway, but the point is...its a time saver. Time savers are great, especially when you are on a clock in a staging area.

Rich

Your contribution to the sport is immeasurable, Bryan.

Congratulations and thanks.

I'm forced to wait for the iPhone ap, however... patiently.

Great book, btw. Just got a signed copy.

Anchorage, AK

Seconded. Have been playing with the app for several days now and totally loving it. Thanks for the effort you put forward to make long range hits more probable for "the rest of us".