• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Appropriate budget for newbie

There's a Gen 2 700 5R in 6.5 I'm currently looking at. Really good price, might go with it.
Won’t go wrong with it and it’s a great platform to build off of later.

I’d look at a 20MOA pic rail from someone. Doesn’t need to be expensive.

As far as rings go, I really like the ARC M-Brace rings. I’m running them on my 308 and 7RM. Super easy to mount and doesn’t live the scope out of level when you torques them down.

The lows should do you just right for a 50mm objective.

01A56C06-FF1E-4C75-9644-453522EC0061.jpeg

AD680D75-AB9B-4F41-BD66-20434CEFD911.jpeg

Reactions: CybrSlydr
^Agree, Leupold is so irrelevant to the consideration set that I forgot they even existed.

Reactions: HogsLife
Won’t go wrong with it and it’s a great platform to build off of later.

I’d look at a 20MOA pic rail from someone. Doesn’t need to be expensive.

As far as rings go, I really like the ARC M-Brace rings. I’m running them on my 308 and 7RM. Super easy to mount and doesn’t live the scope out of level when you torques them down.

The lows should do you just right for a 50mm objective.

View attachment 8068835

View attachment 8068836
The 20moa rail was the one part I would change out as well.

I'll look into those rings - thanks!

What height for the rings?

Wait. Did you just say TT over NightForce??!!
I’m a NF fan

That doesn’t mean I won’t trade for a TT 😁

I’m not a fan boy for optics. I’ve owned NXS, ATACR and comp NF and have good luck with all. Which keeps me coming back

But I’m sure open to ZCO and TT in my future

Reactions: Bakwa and HogsLife
I’m a NF fan

That doesn’t mean I won’t trade for a TT 😁

I’m not a fan boy for optics. I’ve owned NXS, ATACR and comp NF and have good luck with all. Which keeps me coming back

But I’m sure open to ZCO and TT in my future

I’m a NF fan. I’ve run plenty of NXS’s and a few ATACR’s. Still have my first NXS but it’s on my daughters rifle now. They just work. Durable and repeatable. . I do prefer Kahles to ATACR’s tho. Ran a TT for awhile but my ZCO 527 was by far my favorite.

If the OP’s patient he should be able to find a reasonably priced sub $2k Kahles 624 here on the hide.

Reactions: JakeM and hafejd30
The 20moa rail was the one part I would change out as well.

I'll look into those rings - thanks!

What height for the rings?
Lows should work. I run my Kahles 318x50 on the lows with tenebrex and have plenty of clearance. The mediums are 1” and those are the ones I run with my 624x56 and could honestly probably have gotten away with the lows.

I'm considering them, along with Vortex and Leupold. Now we have Khales in the mix as well.

The NX8’s are a flip of the coin on whether you’ll like them or not. Some love them and some hate em. So you got a 50/50 shot atleast lol. From what I’ve seen, it seems that the biggest issue with the NX8 is a touchy eye box.

The NX8’s are a flip of the coin on whether you’ll like them or not. Some love them and some hate em. So you got a 50/50 shot atleast lol. Mostly revolving around the eye box issues I believe.

Glass quality, especially above 27 or so, DOF, haze/mirage, and the price for those shortcomings. Felt duped it was so bad compared to my XTR3, after being sold on the scope by unknowns online as well as the salespeople at 2 optics houses. Similar feeling with Mk5HD, although the only shortcoming was FOV - huge shortcoming though. Bought and sold ZCO, TT as well as others in the class - now only have 2 G3 Razors and 2 XTR3 SCR2's for my LR optics.

I have no experience with the new upper end Burris and Bushnells but seems like a lot of folks really Like them. They’ve defienlty stepped up their game

I had a great, almost hour-long chat with the gunsmith at my LGS. Really good guy, knowledgeable and helpful! (they even have videos on YouTube of him doing a rifle build - fun to watch and learned a lot)

It sounds like it'd be around $600 to do all the work to assemble and true the gun if I bought the parts. So, my updated parts list is:

Origin action - $900
SS Proof blank M24 profile - $449
HS Precision PST006 - $669
TriggerTech Diamond - $299
-------------------------------------
Total: $2317
Total + Build: $2917

He really stressed how important the barrel is and said if I were to get a used rifle, the first thing he'd essentially do is get a new barrel for it. So, if I get, for instance, this 700 5R Gen 2 on Gunbroker, that'd be another $449 for the blank, and the cost to fit it to the action, etc. So I'd still be looking at about $2000-ish for him to work over it. About 3-4 week turnaround for him to assemble the parts for me.

The nice thing about buying the parts is I can do them one at a time, which makes the whole price of $3k a lot easier to swallow.

I'm really leaning towards the custom build now.

Love the sentiment - almost there. Now, forget what the guy said about the barrel (silliness), and instead of buying a blank and having him chamber it, just buy a prefit cut rifled ss barrel like a bartlein, krieger, brux, proof, etc. and assemble the rifle yourself with a go gauge and some scotch tape. Also, while I love the HS precision stocks, and used the one on my 5R for years, it does somehow amplify the recoil vs say, the carbon mcmillan that action currently wears. Just start with a KRG Bravo and decide what you like as you get shooting. Can always sell it without losing much - the HS-P will only fetch ~250 if you sell it later.

I had a great, almost hour-long chat with the gunsmith at my LGS. Really good guy, knowledgeable and helpful! (they even have videos on YouTube of him doing a rifle build - fun to watch and learned a lot)

It sounds like it'd be around $600 to do all the work to assemble and true the gun if I bought the parts. So, my updated parts list is:

Origin action - $900

He really stressed how important the barrel is and said if I were to get a used rifle, the first thing he'd essentially do is get a new barrel for it. So, if I get, for instance, this 700 5R Gen 2 on Gunbroker, that'd be another $449 for the blank, and the cost to fit it to the action, etc. So I'd still be looking at about $2000-ish for him to work over it. About 3-4 week turnaround for him to assemble the parts for me.

The nice thing about buying the parts is I can do them one at a time, which makes the whole price of $3k a lot easier to swallow.

+1 on just ordering a prefit. SS prefit Tier 1 barrel is gonna run you about $700-ish
I’ve gotten a few Prefits from @Front Range Precision and they all
Shoot great

TT Diamond is a great trigger but theres nothing wrong with the TT Special. $100 less and it’s the same trigger it just doesn’t adjust down below 1lb which is plenty light. Make sure to grab the PRO CURVE, not the standard shoe. Lot better feel.

+1 on just ordering a prefit. SS prefit Tier 1 barrel is gonna run you about $700-ish
I’ve gotten a few Prefits from @Front Range Precision and they all
Shoot great

TT Diamond is a great trigger but theres nothing wrong with the TT Special. $100 less and it’s the same trigger it just doesn’t adjust down below 1lb which is plenty light. Make sure to grab the PRO CURVE, not the standard shoe. Lot better feel.
Now see, that info about the TT trigger is exactly what I'm looking for. I can't see any reason why I'd want something lighter than 1lb, so saving $100 is vastly more important to me. :D

^Gonna be subjective on the trig - I like my triggers about ~6oz. and find the shoe to be stock/grip dependent. I tend to like flat in a chassis with a vertical or min angle grip, but agree on the std or pro curve for a traditional stock. Pro curve is a much wider shoe with a sharp angle to the outside edges. Std is more akin to a Jewell, less sharp on the edge and thinner overall. Little things that may or may not matter to you down the line.

You can always trade diamonds with someone here who wants to try another shoe. TT may also swap triggers for you if you ask nicely, but will only do it once.

Now see, that info about the TT trigger is exactly what I'm looking for. I can't see any reason why I'd want something lighter than 1lb, so saving $100 is vastly more important to me. :D

I ran a Diamond and never used anything under 1lb. Hate a trigger that your cant settle in to without torching one off. Now it’s all Specials. You won’t be sorry. I run 3 origins all with TT Specials. Youll dig it. Beautiful trigger and plenty light. Especially for a practical use rifle. Highly recommend the Pro Curve shoe.

Pro Curve
image.jpg

Standard (rounded with ridges 🤮)
image.jpg

Flat Shoe
E96DEF49-772E-4802-9A8A-0BEA58C6777A.jpeg

Last edited:
Definitely prefer smooth triggers over ridged like the second one. One of the main reasons I hate striker pistols like Glocks - that trigger safety digs into my fingers and is very uncomfortable to shoot with for any amount of time.

So... Something I've not considered at this point. Bottom Metal.

I have no idea what to go with for this and why.

So... Something I've not considered at this point. Bottom Metal.

I have no idea what to go with for this and why.

Just make sure your stock has an M5 inlet. Countless DBM options out there.

Or buy a chassis. Seen plenty of MPA’s come up for sale on here for $800-ish.

Origin action - $900

If you’re gonna get an Origin, grab one of their medium length actions. Leaves you more room to run the heavier longer higher BC bullets without having mag length issues (ie if you ever decide to run 308 or short mag cartridges with heavier high BC bullets you’ll be set)

Before you get into precision shooting, I would make dam sure your fundamentals of marksmanship are rock solid! As everyone here will tell you, $10,000 worth of gear dont mean shit if your fundamentals are poor.

Hey, I'm kind of in the same boat he OG poster us. I'm very new to this but I already have a rifle and scope with my goal being to hit steel at 700 yds. My gun is the Sig Cross 6.5 cm and the scope is Burris Full Field II 6.0x50mm. I have ZERO fundamentals. Any guidance you can give would be a big help.

100% Agreed but hes gonna need a rifle / optic to practice those fundamentals And he’s lookin at a $3000 rifle combo. Not 10k

MoHobbyPlinker said:
Hey, I'm kind of in the same boat he OG poster us. I'm very new to this but I already have a rifle and scope with my goal being to hit steel at 700 yds. My gun is the Sig Cross 6.5 cm and the scope is Burris Full Field II 6.0x50mm. I have ZERO fundamentals. Any guidance you can give would be a big help.

I was planning on utilizing what I learned in the Army.

1. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
2. The best time to pull the trigger is during the, "Natural Pause". This is the time when you are relaxed and fully exhaled, along with in-between heartbeats. This minimizes the amount of energy you're putting into the rifle and allows for the most accurate shot possible.
3. Comfortable seating position - finding a position that doesn't fatigue you is critical. This involves all the aspects of shooting - eye relief, cheek weld, posture, bag/bipod height, etc. In a perfect world, you will find a position that you can enter and could sit there forever and never need to move.
4. Pull the trigger with the pad of your finger, not on the tip or near the knuckle. This makes it easier to pull straight back rather than imparting any movement by pulling to one side or the other.

100% Agreed but hes gonna need a rifle / optic to practice those fundamentals And he’s lookin at a $3000 rifle combo. Not 10k
I didn't want to go above $2k for an optic, but I can be persuaded to spend a bit more if it's worth the money.

I didn't want to go above $2k for an optic, but I can be persuaded to spend a bit more if it's worth the money.
I would see which optics you like and look at @LibertyOptics…. Scott’s always got amazing deals on a lot of the high priced optics

Plenty of great sub 2k optics here in the PX.
Yeah, I've been eyeing more than a few. lol

I'm thinking I'll get an optic first - since putting the rifle together is going to be multiple purchases over time, I'll get the optic first in the PX since those will be gone quickly, but I can get the rifle stuff anytime.

EDIT: Coming from the photography world, I know glass holds value and typically stays with you longer than bodies, so investing in the glass makes the most sense. Hence being willing to spend a bit more on glass.

Last edited:
I also highly recommend a prefit for the Origin. There's no need for your gunsmith to "true" everything up. You can assemble it all yourself. Get an Origin. Hop on over to Southern Precision Rifles and order a prefit in whatever barrel blank you choose and chambering you desire. Their backlog on chambering either a Bug Nut style or shouldered style is about a month. Then when you receive everything, you can assemble it. Of course you'll need an action wrench, barrel vise and headspace gauges. If you have any amount of mechanical ability, you can do it yourself. It's like legos, but for men.

Also check out @FisherT&C here on the board. He cut me a bugholer and he doesn't have the backlog of the big shops - might be 50 bucks more to drop ship a blank to him, but you'd have it back in weeks instead of months.

On the optic, I picked up a Steiner T6xi 5-30 with 56 objective SCR2 reticle for $1907 by continuously checking at Optics Planet on my cell phone until the price dropped (which it seems to do twice a week) and getting a 10% off coupon for allowing them to spam my cell phone with text messages.

Also, agree with all of the above about pre-fit and doing it yourself, and get a chassis stock, but I already posted all of that above, so I'll quit harping on it.

I think I'm going to purchase the parts over the next couple months. This way I can get it built and ready when it warms up and it's not so miserable outside.

There's a PRS event in Cheyenne on the 25th I'm going to check out as well. See if it's something I want to get into and then start building.

I think I'm going to purchase the parts over the next couple months. This way I can get it built and ready when it warms up and it's not so miserable outside.

There's a PRS event in Cheyenne on the 25th I'm going to check out as well. See if it's something I want to get into and then start building.
My FFL just called to say the action and barrel are in!

• Love
So here is what looks like everything I'd need, including a magazine.

Attachments

• rifle.jpg
    rifle.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 44
That’s a barrel blank, you’ll have to add on smithing fees or change it to a prefit to actually screw it into the action
Yeah, I figure if I'm going to have them put it together, then I'll just have him perform the work on the barrel and thread the end of it so I can use a suppressor in... a year. lol

Reactions: spife7980
Holy cow, I got an e-mail because I hadn't completed my order and it was in the cart for free shipping - it works for Priority Express, which is $244!

EDIT: I'm waiting for them to reply to how I'm supposed to have it shipped to my FFL since I'm purchasing an action.

EDIT 2: Took the plunge and placed the order! Always have a bit of purchase anxiety when I make large purchases like this. lol

Got the 2 day shipping, so I hope it'll be to my FFL by Wednesday.

Last edited:
Holy cow, I got an e-mail because I hadn't completed my order and it was in the cart for free shipping - it works for Priority Express, which is $244!

EDIT: I'm waiting for them to reply to how I'm supposed to have it shipped to my FFL since I'm purchasing an action.

EDIT 2: Took the plunge and placed the order! Always have a bit of purchase anxiety when I make large purchases like this. lol

Got the 2 day shipping, so I hope it'll be to my FFL by Wednesday.
If you ordered from atlus I think you just have your ffl email or fax them there license and it’s good to go and also if you ordered a prefit they will put it together for you free of charge

If you ordered from atlus I think you just have your ffl email or fax them there license and it’s good to go and also if you ordered a prefit they will put it together for you free of charge
They replied telling me to just list the FFL in the order comments and they would contact them when they go to ship it.

It's not a pre-fit, I got a blank and will just have my LGS do all the work on it since he'll be assembling it, also thread the end so I can get a suppressor eventually.

They replied telling me to just list the FFL in the order comments and they would contact them when they go to ship it.

It's not a pre-fit, I got a blank and will just have my LGS do all the work on it since he'll be assembling it, also thread the end so I can get a suppressor eventually.
O ok I ordered from them when I built my tl3 just couldn’t remember how they do it lol and. O ok that’s good all my lgs charge and arm and leg to do that stuff lol 😂

I’ve been looking at the xrs let me know how that’s xrs works out I’ve been eye balling one

Just noticed, I placed the order at the beginning of the day local time - and the 12th is my birthday. Lol

Guess I can call this a birthday present for myself. :)

Now all I need is one of you to part with a TT for $2k in the PX. LOL

Reactions: Malum Prohibitum
I’ve been looking at the xrs let me know how that’s xrs works out I’ve been eye balling one
I wanted the black one, not FDE, but Altus only had the FDE in stock.

I even would have bought a McMillan stock but all of them were out of stock as well.

Reactions: Ty21