• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Appropriate budget for newbie

Good luck to OP on the choice. I think the overwhelming range of different gear recommended in here is a testament to the fact that you can ask all the right questions but be sold (or pressured) on something way above what you need for your first rifle based on the preferences of others. Its a lot easier to spend someone else's money.

I saw quite a few others mentioning a Tikka or Bergara for the first rifle, and that it is a learning tool. That advice was spot on. How do you know what you need if you cant figure it out until you get time behind a rifle in the first place?

Now hes buying a trigger he's never tried, for an action he's never tried, with a barrel blank that he has no preference (or reason) behind the length, the rifling, or the contour, all to be finished off by a smith (who's work he's never seen or tested) into a chassis he's never been behind either.

Wait till he comes back for his scope recommendation (2 years later) so we can see the pissing match repeated for everyone's favorite brands.

You guys completely forgot to tell him its now required to get a TBAC, Arca Rail, along with 7-10 $90 shooting bags, a custom mat, the 2 round quiver attachment, dope card, custom turret caps, rails in various MOA, bag rider, optional weights to bolt on, A pelican 1750 case (plus all the sweet stickers) and thats completely neglecting choosing muzzle devices, which if he doesnt get a suppressor right away, he might as well say fuck it and list this thing in the classifieds for sale already.

Good luck to OP on the choice. I think the overwhelming range of different gear recommended in here is a testament to the fact that you can ask all the right questions but be sold (or pressured) on something way above what you need for your first rifle based on the preferences of others. Its a lot easier to spend someone else's money.

I saw quite a few others mentioning a Tikka or Bergara for the first rifle, and that it is a learning tool. That advice was spot on. How do you know what you need if you cant figure it out until you get time behind a rifle in the first place?

Now hes buying a trigger he's never tried, for an action he's never tried, with a barrel blank that he has no preference (or reason) behind the length, the rifling, or the contour, all to be finished off by a smith (who's work he's never seen or tested) into a chassis he's never been behind either.

Wait till he comes back for his scope recommendation (2 years later) so we can see the pissing match repeated for everyone's favorite brands.

You guys completely forgot to tell him its now required to get a TBAC, Arca Rail, along with 7-10 $90 shooting bags, a custom mat, the 2 round quiver attachment, dope card, custom turret caps, rails in various MOA, bag rider, optional weights to bolt on, A pelican 1750 case (plus all the sweet stickers) and thats completely neglecting choosing muzzle devices, which if he doesnt get a suppressor right away, he might as well say fuck it and list this thing in the classifieds for sale already.
Well, I guess we'll see about the gunsmith. He does have vids on YouTube as part of some stuff the LGS does making a lightweight hunting rifle as well as shooting it.

I did get some shooting bags and I'm waiting until I pick up the rifle to get a case (trying to decide on soft or hard).

Well, I guess we'll see about the gunsmith. He does have vids on YouTube as part of some stuff the LGS does making a lightweight hunting rifle as well as shooting it.

I did get some shooting bags and I'm waiting until I pick up the rifle to get a case (trying to decide on soft or hard).

Im excited for you, I mean that. I hope for the sake of all the time (and money) spent that what you get is a consistent and reliable shooter.

A few tips from someone who started out a few years ago and who tends to overanalyze buying things:

Get yourself a bipod or at least some solid front sand bags to shoot off of. I started with the range's sand bags, then I got a harris (I personally think thats the cheapest decent one) and went up to an atlas PSR, then an accu-tac. If you're gonna get one, you can skip the bare minimum harris, and go straight for an atlas PSR or an ATLAS CAL. Main difference betweem them is the PSR Pans, the CAL doesnt.

Scope rings: seekins precision or vortex precision matched rings (also made by seekins) are more than good enough. After them, point of diminishing returns comes very quickly. They can be had for like $130, or cheaper if you get them used or on here in the classifieds. Dont waste money on expensive scope flip caps either. Use the cheap bikini caps that come with it. Mine get tossed in my range bag every time I pull out the rifle from the case, and go back on when I finish up

Also..you will be MORE than fine with a $1000-$1500 optic. The distance available to you to shoot at will dictate your needs on that anyways.

Scopes: Lots of people get pissy about Athlon because they sell chinese scopes (and Japanese too), but they are a US company. I think the Ares/Cronus are very decent options. There's plenty of youtube videos (and posts on here) comparing the cronus to the nightforce options. For the money a cronus punches way above its price point. I think that burris xtr III is nice too. I would have likely picked one up if I didnt get my vortex razor gen 3 at a steal. I may even pick up a burris xtr III for another rifle anyway. I started with a vortex viper pst gen II and shot that to 200 yards with no issue, to learn on, for a decent year and a half. Its cheap enough to get, you can usually pick them up used, vortex's lifetime warranty is great, and you can sell it after on the hide, or keep it for a 22 trainer build. Very versatile option.

I see scopes (and rifles in general) like track cars. Any half-decent track you go to, guys will tell you to start on a Miata. it makes no sense to jump straight into a Porsche. There seems to be a point of "pride" on spending as much as possible on glass. People seem to hate to admit that a more expensive scope wont make you a better shooter if you fundamentally suck at it in the first place. You can always buy a more expensive scope later on. The vendors will gladly take your money today, tomorrow, next month, or next year.

Finally..reloading...give yourself time to learn to shoot first. Spend your next $1000 on match grade ammo, after you get your scope, and get some time behind the rifle. Learning to shoot will be even harder if you're also learning to load your own ammo.

And find a shooting buddy if you can, it will help a lot as well.

You likely do need a hard case. Pelican makes some great ones. You dont want to take the chance of your setup being dropped or rained on or whatever other things can happen. Most of the time it will get thrown in the back of a car, truck, whatever, if you shoot with anyone else your gear will bounce or get stacked, or maybe you bring multiple rifles with you, whatever. Something like this is plenty usually https://www.opticsplanet.com/pelican-vault-v770-single-rifle-case.html , grab a 10% off coupon on there and you're good to go, or even cheaper get one of the harbor freight apache ones locally for like $130.

Actually, I already got the optic. I got the Vortex Gen 3 6-36x56. With my military discount, it was still more than I wanted to spend, but coming from the photography world I know glass holds its value and if I decide I don't want to continue, I can recoup most of that expenditure.

I also did get the Vortex matched precision rings to go with it and a bubble level (that 40% discount made it hard to pass them up).

I am going to the PRS event with a coworker. He likes to go to the range with me when he comes up on weekends occasionally. I'm hoping I enjoy the event enough I want to start co.peting at an entry level.

Reactions: AleksanderSuave
Actually, I already got the optic. I got the Vortex Gen 3 6-36x56. With my military discount, it was still more than I wanted to spend, but coming from the photography world I know glass holds its value and if I decide I don't want to continue, I can recoup most of that expenditure.

I also did get the Vortex matched precision rings to go with it and a bubble level (that 40% discount made it hard to pass them up).

I am going to the PRS event with a coworker. He likes to go to the range with me when he comes up on weekends occasionally. I'm hoping I enjoy the event enough I want to start co.peting at an entry level.
Thats a badass scope. Same exact one that I have on my current setup. I got mine with a similar discount they had a running for a vortex promo from eurooptic last year that was basically

Watch some videos on the turrets..or read the manual..they dont really work like turrets on any other scope I've tried before.

Reactions: CybrSlydr
Thats a badass scope. Same exact one that I have on my current setup. I got mine with a similar discount they had a running for a vortex promo from eurooptic last year that was basically

Watch some videos on the turrets..or read the manual..they dont really work like turrets on any other scope I've tried before.
I guess that's a good thing as this is the first optic I've used. Lol. Nothing to un-learn!

The turrets seem simple to zero - I've played around with them before I gave it to the gunsmith to mount when he finishes my rifle.

Just saw you mentioned your birthday was the 12th. Happy belated. Mine was the 11th. Hope the parts get delivered quick!

Take a look at this since you are considering having the smith mount it for you.

https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...rifle-scope-a-simple-psa-on-diopters.6252841/

Vortex mentions it as well

Its unique to every person's vision, so maybe he can have you check those settings with him before he mounts and levels it. I do my own at home but you do need some gear for it..and its got a learning curve as well, like anything else that requires precision.

Reactions: CybrSlydr