• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-10 Nemo Arms "Omen Recon" [18" 300 WinMag]

BlueWaffle49

Private
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2021
Greenville, SC
Link: https://nemoarms.com/product/omen-recon/

Hi guys,

On a whim I picked up a $5,000 AR-10 chambed in 300 Win Mag for fun. I had some experince shooting to 1000 meters in the Army with an M24 [no sniper school just a lucky young officer shooting left over M118LR]. I was amazed that I could knock down the pop-up Ivan target so easily back to back with that rifle!

As a civilian Ive owned lots of nice KAC & LMT 5.56 rifles but never could find a place past 200 so I get bored. My best was the LMT MWS 16" .308. That thing shot 1/2 MOA at 200, I regret the day I sold it to make a few bucks.

So now Im back, trying to get out to 1000 meters! Ive since moved states, now in SC and have a local range that has 1000. I know my 18" Bartelin barrel severly limits velocity but I want to suppress it, so its a somewhat logical move.

How would you proceed? I have a Leupold MK5 3.6-18 scope on it with an Atlis bipod [leftover gear from the MWS]. I heard that a Kestrel will have the ballistic calculator built in. Garmin has that new Xero C1 Chronograph [Ive never owned a chrono and figured I should]. Also noticed Garmin has a watch w/ Ballistic calc, maybe can sync bluetooth. Oh and a spotting scope, I thought 18x was plenty but I could barely see the holes in my target at 100 meters zeroing, leads me to think I need a spotter?

Id love some input, I like keeping up w/ new tech and using the best stuff. If you were in my shoes what would you get? I have some high end stuff stuff Im selling to fund this project. Just wanting to get a long range kit and be done with it, then get really good w/ it.

-Kevin

You can easily stretch that 300 win mag to 1000y without buying anything other than decent ammo.

I would think you'd be somewhere in the low 2600fps range with something like 215 FGM. I'd plug in as many variables as possible for your ammo into 4DOF and use that dope as a starting point. Adjust to real world observations and go from there.

A lot of guys on here cut their teeth with .308 700s and fixed 10x scopes with great results at 1000y before long range shooting really took off.

If I had to start from scratch again I'd spend the overwhelming majority of my budget on reloading components, a decent scale, and a serviceable press and dies. Or factory ammo, if that's your preference. That 18" 300wm and 18x scope isn't going to hold you back. Not initially, anyway. You're probably going to be shooting steel, so you'll spot your misses based on dust clouds from the dirt. That 18x should be fine. A chrono is nice, but not as necessary as you might think.

I recently met a guy at the range that was shooting a brand spankin' new Tac Ops in 300wm with an ATACR that was shooting shitty remington ammo. He was pissed he couldn't hit a damn thing. Don't be that guy.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 232593
You can easily stretch that 300 win mag to 1000y without buying anything other than decent ammo.

I would think you'd be somewhere in the low 2600fps range with something like 215 FGM. I'd plug in as many variables as possible for your ammo into 4DOF and use that dope as a starting point. Adjust to real world observations and go from there.

A lot of guys on here cut their teeth with .308 700s and fixed 10x scopes with great results at 1000y before long range shooting really took off.

If I had to start from scratch again I'd spend the overwhelming majority of my budget on reloading components, a decent scale, and a serviceable press and dies. Or factory ammo, if that's your preference. That 18" 300wm and 18x scope isn't going to hold you back. Not initially, anyway. You're probably going to be shooting steel, so you'll spot your misses based on dust clouds from the dirt. That 18x should be fine. A chrono is nice, but not as necessary as you might think.

I recently met a guy at the range that was shooting a brand spankin' new Tac Ops in 300wm with an ATACR that was shooting shitty remington ammo. He was pissed he couldn't hit a damn thing. Don't be that guy.

Just my 2 cents.
Roger that! Thanks man. Makes sense that if a .308 and fixed power 10x can do 1000 then I should be fine.

I am definitely into good ammo, when I had that .308 all I shot was 175 grain GMM. Kind of a waste at only 200 meters but I dont like cheap stuff [ammo included]. I did buy 5 boxes of 190 grain GMMM for this new rifle and am experimenting with some "cheaper" Federal & Hornady stuff just out of curiosity because I can find it local. But yes sir, point taken, if being serious I will only shoot the best stuff available. Ill check out the 200+ grain stuff that you mentioned too.

PS I really would like to get into reloading, Im going to study first then buy.

Reactions: vinniedelpino