• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR barrel length question

mmcc100

Private
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2008
I am thinking of cutting my AR barrel down from 16" to 14.5" and perm attaching the FH. Would there be any issues with reliability, etc... by doing this? I am mainly trying to reduce a little weight where I can. I do not shoot this rifle in long ranges much. Is there anything else I need to do along with this?

Thanks for the help!

Re: AR barrel length question

No problem whatsoever. Keep in mind you need to cut it to 14.7" if you're gonna attach a standard A2 flash hider.

The weight reduction is minimal. Saving that extra inch however really makes a difference when swinging it around, especially indoors.

Below are my pair (14.7" + A2 = 16 OAL).

Picture0132-1.jpg

As Glock24 posted, the weight reduction will not be significant, and would not be sufficient reason by itself to do this IMO. I have both a 16" Colt and a 14.5" Noveske (with permanent Vortex) and prefer the 14.5" upper for its shorter OAL and maneuverability inside structures.

If your 16" upper has a carbine-length gas system, reliability should not be adversely affected. If it has a mid-length gas tube, however, the gas port may or may not be optimal for the shorter barrel.

There are some maintainability issues for permanently-attached flash hiders that should be considered (i.e., inability to remove the FSB / gas block without drilling out the pin/weld). It's best to send your upper to someone who routinely does this sort of work.

do you have a chrome barrel ? if so ............ah what the hell do i know.......i have always said the brain trust is over at ar15dotcom...........

Sure you could, but why spend the money and effort?

I think you'd be better to buy a 14.5" barrel and put in on your receiver and save the 16" barrel. Or sell it and use the funds to offset the new barrel..

Saving weight? By chopping off 1½ inches of barrel lengthen? You’re kidding, right?
Just register one of your lowers as an SBR, buy any length shorter barrel and attach it.
Is there an underlying issue with your CLEO, or your eligibility for SBR’s?

The weight and length savings for that small of a chop aren't worth it in most situations.

One nice thing about that 16" barrel, is with mil spec fragmenting ammo you are getting a longer fragmentation range than the 14.5".

If you want shorter and lighter, consider paying the tax stamp and get a 10.5"-11.5" SBR to compliment your 16" upper.

Remember, Depending on what brand your barrel is, realize that the gas port for 14.5 and 16" barrels are different sizes.

Aside from that I prefer the 14.5 because it is slightly more reliable than a 16" carbine gas system and because it matches the BDC on my ACOG.

I stick with 16" min to be legal. I'm not crazy about permanently affixing muzzle attachments as I like to be able to change handguards easily if/when I want.

You do know that you can go below 16 inches and still be legal, don't you??? You just have to submit the paperwork.

And what do muzzle attachments have to do with handguards?????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EzyE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You do know that you can go below 16 inches and still be legal, don't you??? You just have to submit the paperwork.

And what do muzzle attachments have to do with handguards????? </div></div>

With a permanently attached muzzle brake, you won't be able to remove the FSB. This makes installing most FF rails impossible. There are FF rails out there now though that don't require FSB removal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EzyE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And the relationship to handguards is........????? </div></div>

If you want to install a free float handguard, most require removal of the barrel nut, delta ring and the hangduard retainer. To get these off the barrel you have to remove the front sight base/gasblock. To do that you have to remove the flash hider/break. For a 14.5" rifle to be legal without being a registered SBR you need to have the flash hider/break permanently installed (silver soldered, pinned/welded).

Make any sense?

Carbine gas systems are less reliable than Mid Length and Rifle length counterparts. But by no means is it UNreliable. It will wear critical parts a little faster but there are fixes you can make that are very easy. If it's what you want, go for it. Shorter the better when it comes to QCB.