AR Dedicated.22LR and accuracy?

EddieE

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2017
C

Close to that...not the front piece on that...just the rails and bolt

Ill.take a picture later
Does Keystone offer the bolts or is that some that should be purchased and sent to him along with all the other stuff to put together the upper?

padom

SuperMod
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 13, 2013
    Southeastern, Pennsylvania
    Does Keystone offer the bolts or is that some that should be purchased and sent to him along with all the other stuff to put together the upper?

Idk if he has any in stock or not you'll have to check with them. They provided it with my 2 and my buddies as well...

EddieE

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Mar 20, 2017
    I know I need a round hammer trigger, do I need a specific trigger spring, etc to ensure full reliable function? The lower currently has a cheap generic trigger, mil spec, heavy bastard. I don't mind the trigger, but if I have to change to make the 22LR work, I will...but I want a trigger that I don't have to pull out every time I switch between 22 and 223. I want one and done for both 22 and 223.

What has been your experiences with triggers?

Reactions: obx22

padom

SuperMod
    Staff member
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Mar 13, 2013
    I know I need a round hammer trigger, do I need a specific trigger spring, etc to ensure full reliable function? The lower currently has a cheap generic trigger, mil spec, heavy bastard. I don't mind the trigger, but if I have to change to make the 22LR work, I will...but I want a trigger that I don't have to pull out every time I switch between 22 and 223. I want one and done for both 22 and 223.

What has been your experiences with triggers?

ALG ACT with the lighter purple spring has been exactly that. 100% reliability and nice trigger pull for 223 and AR22 have 10,000's of rounds on a few without issue

Reactions: EddieE

EddieE

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Mar 20, 2017
    ALG ACT with the lighter purple spring has been exactly that. 100% reliability and nice trigger pull for 223 and AR22 have 10,000's of rounds on a few without issue
    At only 80 bucks, might be the cheapest component in the rifle.
    thanks

Reactions: padom

EddieE

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Mar 20, 2017
    Clint Beyer barrel, CMMG bolt, Good upper receiver, hand guard, charging handle, and a Boonie Packer and you are done. Extremely easy to build. Beyer barrels are very, very accurate. I have an 18" and a 10" and love them.

I assume I need a bench vise. Which receiver block would be best?

erik72

Private
    Minuteman
    May 3, 2011
    Longwood, FL (Seminole)
    A bench vise would be helpful but I've seen some guys use a C-clamp and a couple pieces of wood to hold it to a workbench. I don't even measure the torque on rimfire barrels. Snug and then a little more is all I do. If you do have a bench vice, just use use a couple pieces of wood to protect the aluminum and clamp across the flat surfaces of the pic rail and the bottom.

EddieE

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Mar 20, 2017
    A bench vise would be helpful but I've seen some guys use a C-clamp and a couple pieces of wood to hold it to a workbench. I don't even measure the torque on rimfire barrels. Snug and then a little more is all I do. If you do have a bench vice, just use use a couple pieces of wood to protect the aluminum and clamp across the flat surfaces of the pic rail and the bottom.
    I'm doing an upgrade to my other AR upper and I need to get bench vise so that will take care of that.

EddieE

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Mar 20, 2017
    Which charging handle are you guys using? I was looking at the polymer CMMG but not sure if the flex in the polymer will annoy me (maybe it doesn't have flex?????)

The aluminum comes in at 80 + shipping...ouch.

Anyone using their own preferred handle with an insert?

Trying to gauge reliability of the various options.

I just need the barrel, bolt and charging handle.

ronnielee54

Private
    Minuteman
    Nov 22, 2012
    Arkansas
    Which charging handle are you guys using? I was looking at the polymer CMMG but not sure if the flex in the polymer will annoy me (maybe it doesn't have flex?????)

The aluminum comes in at 80 + shipping...ouch.

Anyone using their own preferred handle with an insert?

Trying to gauge reliability of the various options.

I just need the barrel, bolt and charging handle.
    I am using the Raptor. Never had a problem with spent casings getting stuck in it.

ronnielee54

Private
    Minuteman
    Nov 22, 2012
    Arkansas
    I can't remember the brand. It was 2 pieces. One piece slid over the rail on the upper and had 2 screws to clamp it down. The other piece attached to the bottom of the upper. It attached to the takedown pin lugs. Then the whole assembly was clamped down in a bench vise. Installed probably a dozen barrels with it and never damaged anything. Unlike a centerfire barrel no torque wrench is needed. I just tightened it down and put a very small amount of blue loctite on it.

erik72

Private
    Minuteman
    May 3, 2011
    Longwood, FL (Seminole)
    I'm probably gonna get flamed for this but I've never found the charging handle to be an issue with rimfire ARs so I've never used anything other than a standard charging handle.
    I've got a Midwest Industries reaction rod for my centerfire ARs that I like pretty well. That doesn't help with the rimfires though. I have one of the Bownells clamshell-type that I use and I also go one made of delrin I thing that clamps the top and bottom. Nothing special...there are loads of options.

ronnielee54

Private
    Minuteman
    Nov 22, 2012
    Arkansas
    0D44D62C-6CF3-40C3-A412-A9BE40DD49DF.jpeg

Updated version of my .22 AR. It is 100% done. Now to move on to my B14R.

EddieE

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Mar 20, 2017
    Do you guys run suppressors? Any reliability issues? I want to run suppressor exclusively with this set up.

I don't want to use HV ammo, since that defeats the purpose of the suppressor with the sonic crack. I want to avoid hearing protection without risking hearing damage.

padom

SuperMod
    Staff member
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Mar 13, 2013
    I only run mine supressed....just know with 22lr semis....you gotta clean then every 200rd or so or reliability drops. Keep the chamber and chamber face clean and it runs great

cas6969

misanthrope
    Minuteman
    Nov 16, 2021
    Eastest coast
    Can’t find my pictures now. My charging handle is just an inexpensive one with the first few inches of it filled with epoxy. I found I had less malfunctions after doing that.

My rifle was used solely for “tactical rifle matches” (only done with .22 rimfire) so lots of hosing and firing as fast as possible. Doing that stuff, one malfunction can ruin your day, so one out of several hundreds rounds is too many. That really helped, as did using a dump pouch. My home range is all beach sand. Slower reloads, but miles fewer malfunction in the end not letting the mags hit the ground. (also taping my mags end to end was a huge help. Not so much because it was faster, but because it was fewer times to the pouch.)

Last edited:

EddieE

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Mar 20, 2017
    Thanks guys. If these setups can handle subsonic + suppressor reliably, that would be awesome. Got my Mask, ran a few rounds through my bolt action 22 and wow is it quiet. Would like to be able to do the same with the AR22 as long as it doesn't choke on the subsonic ammo. It was nice shooting with the suppressor, but a few guys came into area I was at, so had to wear protection. Realized how much I hate ear protection in the summer.

EddieE

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Mar 20, 2017
    When putting these AR22s together, do you use the aeroshell grease like you would with the 5.56 build?

ronnielee54

Private
    Minuteman
    Nov 22, 2012
    Arkansas
    When putting these AR22s together, do you use the aeroshell grease like you would with the 5.56 build?
    I did and always do when mating steel and aluminum. Don't know if it was necessary, but I did anyway because I had it on hand from previous AR builds.

Reactions: EddieE

EddieE

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Mar 20, 2017
    How does one handle the AR22 build headspace? I will have all my parts soon and going to set it up. Want to make sure I'm not missing a piece. I know about the 5.56 headspace check, but know nothing about the AR22

Thanks

Last edited:

padom

SuperMod
    Staff member
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Mar 13, 2013
    How does one handle the AR22 build headspace? I will have all my parts soon and going to set it up. Want to make sure I'm not missing a piece. I know about the 5.56 headspace check, but know nothing about the AR22

Thanks

Thats set by the shoulder on the barrel.... are you using a Keystone custom AR22 barrel and their modified bolt setup?? Or something else?

obx22

Troubleshooter
    Minuteman
    Dec 28, 2020
    N.C.

Thanks
    Headspacing is a function of the recess in the bolt face. The most critical fit I can think of on any autoloader is the tenon length and it’s location relative to the magazine feed lips. Too long, and the bullet scrapes the bottom of the chamber rim, too short and the round can ram the top of the chamber rim. In both instances the slug gets deformed and screws accuracy.

EddieE

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Mar 20, 2017
    Thats set by the shoulder on the barrel.... are you using a Keystone custom AR22 barrel and their modified bolt setup?? Or something else?
    This was a budget build (and still went over budget), so I did not go with Keystone. Should be able to get it together soon. For a backyard plinker, I'm going to be pretty satisfied with average accuracy. I have my v22 for real accuracy. I wanted a semi auto for use with my suppressor. Had a choice of doing this or getting a 10/22. I knew I wouldn't be satisficed with the 10/22 and would end up dropping some $ into that. Ended up going with the upper instead.

obx22

Troubleshooter
    Minuteman
    Dec 28, 2020
    N.C.
    A50BB747-A266-429A-B181-922E8D09C882.png

So I’m pretty much decided on my AR Conversion barrel, now on to other parts:
    This is my bolt rifle I’m trying to emulate in feel for the AR. I have the grip, and forend, now for buttstock and trigger suggestions. This buttstock has tool less adjustment cheekpiece, buttplate length/height/twist or cant, I’d like the same for the AR.
    The trigger is factory 34oz, but I may go with a lighter pull in the future. Ideas for a comparable quality pull?

ronnielee54

Private
    Minuteman
    Nov 22, 2012
    Arkansas
    I use Hiperfire Hipertouch tigers in all my builds. Just noticed on their website that they only go down to 2 or 2.5 pounds depending on the model you choose. When I bought all of mine they had a set of 1.5 pound springs.

TerryH

Private
    Minuteman
    Feb 25, 2017
    had a full build from Keystone but supplied a 2 groove Benchmade barrel blank, wanted larger than normal barrel diato balance heavy stock. Very reliable and ( in my eyes) accurate. 50m target during ammo type testing , was using high mag scope than normally fitted

Attachments

• 836CDBFE-4D41-4D68-A034-4F0F5E49BE85.jpeg
      836CDBFE-4D41-4D68-A034-4F0F5E49BE85.jpeg
      397.2 KB · Views: 41
    • 11F20C39-BF9A-4E2F-B710-5311AD75518C.jpeg
      11F20C39-BF9A-4E2F-B710-5311AD75518C.jpeg
      83.8 KB · Views: 43