• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR mag longevity and reliability ?

mosin46

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2010
florida 32621
i have a large excess of AR mags,esp aluminum. i am asking if anyone has any experience with the various brands. i have brownell,duramag,bravo and palmetto. BTW the guy that built my excellent custom AR spent time in africa and mid east as an operator. he swears that the only mags he trusts are the brownells editions. any input or experience comparing these ? also,comparing to pmags. he does relate a serious failure with pmags-shattering when dropped out of pouch when exiting a vehicle. i suspect gen 2s. my smith reports a similar failure with aluminum mags,so only trusts Ps. planning on offing a few as i am in the hunt for an ak-74. any comparative knowledge,opinions or experience?

I've used the GI mags. They work fine, but you NEED to get the non-binding followers (at a minimum) for them.

At work, I've used Lancers (never had any problems) and now we use the gen 3 P-Mags. Those work fine, as well.

I also have a few Daniel Defense Mags. I like them a lot. They're mechanical function is excellent, and they seem to be high quality as far as durability (but I don't have very many miles on them yet).

I personally prefer the Magpul Gen3 over the GI mags.

If I recall correctly, I believe the Magpul Gen3 also come with dust covers. The dust covers will come in handy if you want to store loaded mags long-term.

Of the ones you list, I’d keep the Brownells and the Bravos.
I’d dump the Duramags first.

I keep a mix of USGI with Magpul followers and Gen 3 Pmags.

yea,as well as reliability,leaving loaded long term is the most important reason for the question.

yea,as well as reliability,leaving loaded long term is the most important reason for the question.
Lots of mags nowadays come with the non-binding followers. This was a problem with the regular issue mags (happened to me downrange), but, as far as I know, the military fixed it with a follower replacement and other mfrs make them this way standard.