• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GLX 2.5-10 vs Credo 2-10 vs PST Gen II vs PLXc 1-8 vs Razor Gen III 1-10 ?

That Athlon Helos BTR 2-12x42 reviewed by C_does might not be tank durable as a Credo, but it’s a solid feature rich option for the price bracket you initially stated. I think C_does listed it as his 2023 year favorite. IIRC
Yeah, he did. I actually like it quite a bit, especially at that price, with two exceptions: The turret appears to be very tall and they are made in China. I'm ok with the Philippines for the GLX and, obviously, Japan and the USA. Just trying to avoid Chinese stuff as often as possible... except for Holosun because there's just not anyone that competes with them on a lot of stuff.
The 2-12x Helos sure has a huge center dot though at .3 mils. I guess it makes it easy to see.
It's going on a gas gun, so a 0.3mil center dot is probably OK. Smaller would be nice if the rifle is capable and it can still be used, but it doesn't really seem necessary.

I wanted to give another update on the glx 2.5-10 with griffin mil reticle. It has found a home on my dd5 v4 308 as can be seen in the attached pic . The griffin mil reticle works well for me both 2.5x and at 10x from close ranges out to 500yds . I think it's a really good fit for a gas gun in something chambered in 308 or similar. This set up will be my go to huntting rig. The plxc 1-8 griffin mil found a home on my bcm 14.5 which is now my go to shtf/home defense setup. I think it works great for a 556 or similar cartridge. I think they are both solid choices but for different roles.

Attachments

• 20240119_154340.jpg
    20240119_154340.jpg
    600 KB · Views: 47
I wanted to give another update on the glx 2.5-10 with griffin mil reticle. It has found a home on my dd5 v4 308 as can be seen in the attached pic . The griffin mil reticle works well for me both 2.5x and at 10x from close ranges out to 500yds . I think it's a really good fit for a gas gun in something chambered in 308 or similar. This set up will be my go to huntting rig. The plxc 1-8 griffin mil found a home on my bcm 14.5 which is now my go to shtf/home defense setup. I think it works great for a 556 or similar cartridge. I think they are both solid choices but for different roles.
So, what's your rationale behind the 1-8 on the 556 and the 2.5-10 on the 308? What Don't you like about it for the 556? Also, knowing that you have both of them, I am curious on the difference in low light performance because the 2.5-10 should do much better with the larger lense, but I am curious if the difference in glass quality can somehow make up for that.

So, what's your rationale behind the 1-8 on the 556 and the 2.5-10 on the 308? What Don't you like about it for the 556? Also, knowing that you have both of them, I am curious on the difference in low light performance because the 2.5-10 should do much better with the larger lense, but I am curious if the difference in glass quality can somehow make up for that.
The 2.5-10 performs better in low light, eye box ,at making better placed shots at 200yds plus and quick shots from 25yds to 50 yds on 2.5x . All of these make the glx a better scope for hunting and to be used in wider open spaces aka (the great outdoors)which is what my intended purpose of my ar10 308 will be used for that this scope is on . The plxc is great at 1x, extremely light and compact,works well with white light at night , works well for combat accuracy out to distance, and has low profile turrets that work well for me to piggy back an rmr style sight. These attributes make the plxc more suitable for home defense carbine in 556 etc. They really are like comparing apples to oranges. I really like them both but for different applications. Even though I can, I would not want use the glx 2.5-10 for room clearing especially with a white light in dark conditions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kolt and jumrobe
The 2.5-10 performs better in low light, eye box ,at making better placed shots at 200yds plus and quick shots from 25yds to 50 yds on 2.5x . All of these make the glx a better scope for hunting and to be used in wider open spaces aka (the great outdoors)which is what my intended purpose of my ar10 308 will be used for that this scope is on . The plxc is great at 1x, extremely light and compact,works well with white light at night , works well for combat accuracy out to distance, and has low profile turrets that work well for me to piggy back an rmr style sight. These attributes make the plxc more suitable for home defense carbine in 556 etc. They really are like comparing apples to oranges. I really like them both but for different applications. Even though I can, I would not want use the glx 2.5-10 for room clearing especially with a white light in dark conditions.
So, let's assume this is my only rifle. With it being a 16" Wylde, I want to reach out and touch as far away as possible. I am going to have a piggyback dot anyway, so I'm not really concerned about 1x performance or indoors for the main glass. In that case, would you still choose to run the 1-8 or do the 2-10?

I would still choose the plxc 1-8 or similar lpvo. I also have the razor 1-10 and I think it would work in this role as well. I think the razor 1-10 ebr9 reticle works better at distance than the plxc griffin mil.

Reactions: Jazz30-06
Don't post much so not sure if this thread is able to be revived. OP is in the same boat as so many of us. There really is a large hole of capable 2-10ish scopes. My personal favorite would be the credo, I think it has good glass, decent weight and size and lack of parallax is not an issue for me. Routinely shooting out 1200 with a 6arc and not having any problems. My favorite 2-10 glass to look through is still my pst2 2-10, but the reticle sucks and for heaven sakes vortex at least put a capped windage. I had a glx 2.5-10 but never really liked it. I also have a g3 1-10 and it's sweet but there are downsides. Reticle not large enough at 1x and at low light it gets shit on by any decent 2-10. Currently playing with the athlon 2-12 and it's seems good but the turrets on it are almost twice as tall as the glx for those wanting to 12oclock rds. Also, the glass seems be a bit "hazy" compared to the credo or pst2. Reticle is probably better than the other 2 and I don't mind the larger center dot. Having both a se3-18 and lht4-22, I just don't see them fitting what OP wanted. I'm quite impressed by the SE but reticle is rather unusable at lower magnification and its on the heavy side. I guess I don't want to be forced to use a rds, I would like it as a supplement. Anyways good thread and was hoping it could be continued. What did the OP end up picking?

Not sure what the OP ended up picking, but there are two new interesting options in this segment: Leupold Mark 4HD 2.5-10x42 and Steiner H6Xi 2-12x42 (mrad version).

Leupold is heading my way. I'll look at the Steiner later this year.

ILya
Waiting on the Steiner myself to use on a 308 gas gun, can't come soon enough as I really like the 2-12 range and own the Athlon 2-12. Have the Meopta Optika6 with your reticle on the 308 gasser now and while I love it, it's a bit long and heavy and I'd like to shed some weight off of that rifle.

For the OP, I have the PLXc and absolutely love it. Pair it with the PLX mount and the overall weight is the same as an RDO with a 3X magnifier and the tube just disappears at 1X as long as you're not using a rear lens cap.

Don't post much so not sure if this thread is able to be revived. OP is in the same boat as so many of us. There really is a large hole of capable 2-10ish scopes. My personal favorite would be the credo, I think it has good glass, decent weight and size and lack of parallax is not an issue for me. Routinely shooting out 1200 with a 6arc and not having any problems. My favorite 2-10 glass to look through is still my pst2 2-10, but the reticle sucks and for heaven sakes vortex at least put a capped windage. I had a glx 2.5-10 but never really liked it. I also have a g3 1-10 and it's sweet but there are downsides. Reticle not large enough at 1x and at low light it gets shit on by any decent 2-10. Currently playing with the athlon 2-12 and it's seems good but the turrets on it are almost twice as tall as the glx for those wanting to 12oclock rds. Also, the glass seems be a bit "hazy" compared to the credo or pst2. Reticle is probably better than the other 2 and I don't mind the larger center dot. Having both a se3-18 and lht4-22, I just don't see them fitting what OP wanted. I'm quite impressed by the SE but reticle is rather unusable at lower magnification and its on the heavy side. I guess I don't want to be forced to use a rds, I would like it as a supplement. Anyways good thread and was hoping it could be continued. What did the OP end up picking?
Sorry, I've been MIA for a bit on this. I... had some major financial changes since starting the thread so I haven't bought anything yet. I love to read and chat with people to learn what I can as I work towards buying one though! I feel like you pretty much hit the nail on the head with your comments. There are several scopes that are generally decent, but they all seem to be missing that last little bit, or, like the March 1.5-15, they are CLOSE but are also $2k+ and still have downsides. I really like the Credo for size, weight, price, name you can trust, etc. It's just missing parallax if I wanted to really take the time to dial it in. Every LPVO, whether it be the G3 or the PLXc, is going to suck in low light because physics are pretty consistent. The Athlon seems interesting, but it's Chinese and those giant turrets are a turn-off for use with a top dot.
Not sure what the OP ended up picking, but there are two new interesting options in this segment: Leupold Mark 4HD 2.5-10x42 and Steiner H6Xi 2-12x42 (mrad version).

ILya
I haven't looked in a hit minute, but I don't remember a Mark 4HD having a particularly useful reticle for this use case. I really would like to use a Steiner MSR2 to see how that works in the real world because it seems useful. Looking forward to any feedback you have on these two!
I have the 4hd 2.5-10 it works as advertised. If I thought the Athlon 2-12 was reliable that would be my pick but I’ve had too many issues with Chinese optics.
Which reticle are you using for the 4HD?
Waiting on the Steiner myself to use on a 308 gas gun, can't come soon enough as I really like the 2-12 range and own the Athlon 2-12. Have the Meopta Optika6 with your reticle on the 308 gasser now and while I love it, it's a bit long and heavy and I'd like to shed some weight off of that rifle.

For the OP, I have the PLXc and absolutely love it. Pair it with the PLX mount and the overall weight is the same as an RDO with a 3X magnifier and the tube just disappears at 1X as long as you're not using a rear lens cap.
I really like the PLXc, but light transmission and me wanting a dot for passive use negates some of the advantage while still having to deal with the disadvantages. I like the reticle and I love the light weight but, yeah...

I have a PST G2 2-10 as well and although I quite like it in it's application (18" .223 gas gun) I agree that it should have capped windage and an updated reticle (like the EBR-7 that the 3-15 and 5-25 have or the EBR-9 from the 1-10). The current reticle (EBR-4) just makes me scratch my head...

Reactions: Jazz30-06
I have a PST G2 2-10 as well and although I quite like it in it's application (18" .223 gas gun) I agree that it should have capped windage and an updated reticle (like the EBR-7 that the 3-15 and 5-25 have or the EBR-9 from the 1-10). The current reticle (EBR-4) just makes me scratch my head...
The EBR-4 is a stupid reticle.
I emailed Vortex about putting the EBR-9 in the 2-10 and they said they would look into, which I'm pretty sure they have no intention of doing.

An EBR-9 type reticle and capped windage in the 2-10 would be a huge improvement.

Sounds like a need to go re-up my understanding of parallax adjustment and what it does.

I was looking at the NXS at one point. But, the combo of price, SFP, and reticle turned me off of it. I could deal with one, MAYBE two of those not being what I want, but three just feels like a bridge too far.
ive had the exact same thought about SFP for this purpose. But ask yourself, at what distance will I actually need to range for a target, either by holdover or dialing. My answer was about 250-300 yds (when it gets to more than 10-12” drop). Next question, how often would I need to be on a lower magnification at 250+ yd targets? My answer - never, I would be on 10x for every long distance target. So any 1-10x, 2-10x, 2.5-10x scope can be SFP for my purposes without any drawbacks.

Last edited:

ILya
I am waiting for the mil Steiner to arrive. Haven’t seen any for sale or any updates on when they might be available. Look forward to your review!

Which reticle are you using for the 4HD?

I bought the regular old TMR illuminated. Haven't had much time to use it but the glass quality is an improvement over the mark4 and the knobs are nice. No idea on durability though, my other rifles have 1.5-5 and 2.5-8 mark 4 M2 scopes on them that are 20 years old and still working properly.

After spending more time behind the razor 1-10 and the plxc 1-8 I have decided to keep the plxc 1-8 and sell the razor 1-10. The main reason being that I can't see the the razor 1-10 floating reticle on 1x without illumination and we all know lpvo's battery life sucks. I like the razor reticle more than the plxc griffin mil at higher power magnification but my main reason for having a lpvo on a 556 defensive purpose rifle is to be able to use the scope equally at low power 1x and higher power zoomed in without the need of batteries. I can use the plxc 1-8 griffin mil on 1x without illumination, and the griffin mil tree reticle at higher magnification is usable enough for my needs.

Last edited: