• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR10 optic suggestions

Tyler6.8

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2021
Michigan
First post outside of the new guy thread.

I’m looking for suggestions on an optic for my newly acquired AR10 16” .308. I live in southern Michigan so it won’t get much long range action, one range a few hours away I can get up to 600 yards but that won’t be very frequent. Most of my usage will be on the range punching holes in paper from 0-200 and hunting 0-250ish. I would like to keep the price under $2000 but will go higher for the perfect scope.

Thanks for the help

Unless you’re looking for bench rest accuracy (not really what 16” 308 AR-10’s are good at), I’d take a serious look at some of the Primary Arms LPVO’s like the 1-8x24 ACSS. These are well within your budget and would give you lots of money left over for ammo, etc.

These are more DMR type optics than traditional “sniper” scopes but they’re more than capable of getting you minute-of-man accuracy out to 600-800 meters.

This will likely sound like heresy to many in this group but I’d also give preference to the Second Focal Plane models over their FFP’s. This keeps the reticle nice and large for your quick/close shots at low magnification and offers better reticle options for ranging at full magnification (the ACSS offerings are better in the SFP’s than the FFP LPVO’s from Primary Arms).

Reactions: longrange454
Might find more assistance in the obsevation sub-forum under an 'riflescopes' filter, but no harm no foul (just an FYI--I am not in trollin mood today and I used to be a Michigan "troll" -- Under the Bridge!).

Vortex Razor cad be had for that price as well as a few Nightforce.
Burris has the XTR III. It may come down to what you want with features on the scope. I know for my AR-308 Setup I mount a more target optic in the 3-18 range (i think) an Older Vortex PST that was under 1K. The Razors are clearly a step up in quality (I think I have a 4-20 Razor). Burris and Bushnell (not the first names you think of) also have good offerings (i get my 308s confused, ONE of my 308s has the PST, the other has a Bushnell Elite--they are practically clones of each other).

Your price range is pretty solid, its just a matter of choosing what features you what in terms of reticle and magnification range. Zero Stops and mil/mil turrets are all but guarunteeded at the range along with good performance from any of the major brands (Bushnell, Burris, Vortex, Nightforce--Leupold Mark 5 might be outta the price range)

If you prefer the 1-12 or 1-8 or even 1-6, that will be a choice you need to make. I keep a 1-6 on my M1A as it is less 'precision' and more 'screwing around'. My AR-308 tends to be more target oriented (even at 16" like yours), so I like a more target-like scope if that makes sense.

Last edited:
Kinda depends on how handy and light you want to keep it. I considered a light Leupold or Steiner P4xi but based my DMR requirements chose the Primary Arms 1-8x Platinum. Heavy bitch but otherwise checks all the boxes for me anyway.

I'm still an ACOG fan for general stuff and I have shot mine on reduced IPCS style targets at 600 yards and M80 ball. That rifle has a 16 inch barrel and it is my all around gun. On my 18 inch match barrel I have a 3-18 Razor, I've shot this rifle at 1000 yards a lot. I know many don't like the weight of the Razors but I don't notice it on the rifle. I have no regrets with my choices....

I have a Leupold Mk 6 1-6x scope with the 762 reticle on my Daniel Defense DD5V1. I have no problem hitting out to 800 yds with it. The illumination on 1x is not Aimpoint bright but it is adequately bright for any close shooting you may choose to do other that shooting directly into the sun. It is very lightweight, as well, which was the intent of the build.

My biggest beef is I can't stand the reticles in the 1-6/8/12 scopes. That is just my asshole/personal opinion. ymmv.

Unless you’re looking for bench rest accuracy (not really what 16” 308 AR-10’s are good at), I’d take a serious look at some of the Primary Arms LPVO’s like the 1-8x24 ACSS. These are well within your budget and would give you lots of money left over for ammo, etc.

These are more DMR type optics than traditional “sniper” scopes but they’re more than capable of getting you minute-of-man accuracy out to 600-800 meters.

This will likely sound like heresy to many in this group but I’d also give preference to the Second Focal Plane models over their FFP’s. This keeps the reticle nice and large for your quick/close shots at low magnification and offers better reticle options for ranging at full magnification (the ACSS offerings are better in the SFP’s than the FFP LPVO’s from Primary Arms).
I have the PLx 1-8 ACSS Griffin reticle and it’s badass. It’s FFP. Would be plenty for the job and no problem out to 600

Elcan 1.5/6 in 7.62 bdc or a solid LPVO (Razor, Nightforce, Steiner, etc).

put an rmr at 12 o’clock if you want something for run and gun within 100m or so

Id go 6x24 ish arken has one under 400 dollars the glass is nice the turrets nice and ffp if that matters to you and its under your budget leaving left over money for other things like more bullets , powder and primers while I was not supper happy with the ret its far from the worst one I had seen who knows maybe you could like em worth a look at least . Best of luck with what ever you get .

I’m gunna bring back a few memories for some here but the USO ST10 was one of my favorites for my 18” 308 builds havnt seen one up for sale in years though

My biggest beef is I can't stand the reticles in the 1-6/8/12 scopes. That is just my asshole/personal opinion. ymmv.

The new Nightforce ATACR 1-8x24 FC-DMx is fantastic imo. But I agree many leave something to be desired.

nightforce-illum-fc-dmx-reticle.jpg

I third (or is it fourth) the recommendation of the Primary Arms Plx 1-8 Griffin Mil, FFP. I love mine.

Made by LOW (same as Vortex Razor), glass quality comparable to Razor, reticle walks all over any other reticle on the market for a LPVO. Genuinely daylight bright illum., Eotech-style donut for fast 1x, fine aiming point rather than a target-obscuring dot for precision, man-sized-target quick-ranging ladders, and a mil grid Christmas tree.
E158985F-5644-4ACE-A2FE-DA8F60F78FB0.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: AZgeek and db2000
The new Nightforce ATACR 1-8x24 FC-DMx is fantastic imo. But I agree many leave something to be desired.

nightforce-illum-fc-dmx-reticle.jpg

Yes, I have the new reticle in my 1-8. I would buy another one if it didn't break the bank so damn hard.

Reactions: Clayman
First post outside of the new guy thread.

I’m looking for suggestions on an optic for my newly acquired AR10 16” .308. I live in southern Michigan so it won’t get much long range action, one range a few hours away I can get up to 600 yards but that won’t be very frequent. Most of my usage will be on the range punching holes in paper from 0-200 and hunting 0-250ish. I would like to keep the price under $2000 but will go higher for the perfect scope.

Thanks for the help

I would take a look at the Nightforce nxs 2.5-10x42. I'm not huge on SFP personally but for those purposes it would probably be fantastic.

Nightforce also has their 2.5-20x50 and 3.5-15x50.

Leupold MK5 3.6-18x44

Trijicon tenmile 3-18x44

Trijicon credo 2.5-15x42

Steiner T5Xi 3-15x 50

I like lpvo but personally on a build like that for that stated purpose on 308 I'd rather have a 2.5-10, 3-15 or whatever. Lpvo have tighter eye boxes, less light transmission, similar weight and really unless you think you will be doing some higher speed tactical type shooting the 1x power isn't probably going to be used at all.

You could always offset a red dot if you really wanted that ability.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bakwa
Yes, I have the new reticle in my 1-8. I would buy another one if it didn't break the bank so damn hard.

Mine is just sitting around till my backordered badger mount ships. Damn part shortage bs.

Have two LPVO scopes. NF NX8 1-8 and Trijicon Credo 1-8. For precision work out of those two it is definitely the credo. But if are punching paper, a 3-15 would be a better choice.

Thanks for all of the replies. Ironically everyone pretty much suggested the styles I am trying to decide between. 1-6/8/10 or 2/3-12/15. I like the thought of a 1x lpvo but don’t think I will be doing a whole lot of high speed tactical work with a 308 so a little bit more top end magnification might be a bit more beneficial in my situation.
Keep the suggestions coming!

Reactions: TripleBull
For what it's worth. I put a NX8 2-20 on my 16" Noveske. Good optic and I like it. But I think a 1-8 or 1-10 would've been better. I might flip the NX8 for a 1-8 here soon.

I'm kind of surprised to not see the Razor Gen III mentioned here so far, does it have some bad juju on this forum? I believe Alabama Arsenal did a video where they took it out to 1k+. It's also the only LPVO I'm aware of with a "nuclear bright" red dot. Liberty Optics, who is a forum sponsor I believe, usually has exceptional pricing on them.

I'm kind of surprised to not see the Razor Gen III mentioned here so far, does it have some bad juju on this forum? I believe Alabama Arsenal did a video where they took it out to 1k+. It's also the only LPVO I'm aware of with a "nuclear bright" red dot. Liberty Optics, who is a forum sponsor I believe, usually has exceptional pricing on them.

Two people said razor lpvo.

No, nothing wrong with it.

The Nightforce ATACR is insanely bright as well.

There are a ton of good choices depending on budget, reticle preference, how much magnification you want and how much weight you can tolerate.

I'm going to be in the minority on this, but I dearly love my U.S. Optic 1.8x10. Built like a tank. To my eyes the glass is outstanding. Magnification range works for me (although others may find lack of true 1x disconcerting). Discontinued, but I'm sure used ones come up for sale from time to time. USO makes a newer version of this scope, but given it's relatively modest cost I can't believe it's the same quality as the older ones. If it is it would be a fantastic choice.

Nightforce NX 1-8 is also a solid scope. Have no experience with ATACR as that is out of my price range.

Vortex Razor 1x6 is also a solid choice with outstanding glass and can be had for reasonable prices, but are pretty heavy.

Surprised no one has mentions the Schmidt & Bender PMII. Don't have personal experience with them, but I know they are generally extremely popular if you have the $$$ to afford them.

Finally, if most of your shooting will be under 400 yards 1x6, 1x8 or 1x10 is more than enough magnification, unless your goal is to shoot tiny groups, in which case you would need more magnification ... and would probably be better served with a bolt action gun. But for hitting steel and for hunting these magnification ranges would definitely work.

Last edited:
For your particular gun and shooting I’d also take a hard look at the primary Arms optics. I have one on BCM AR truck gun that takes a beating. Didn’t want to spend big $ on a gun that is abused. And it’s stood up extremely well. And the reticle is fantastic. My only complaint is the weight. So I just do an xtra 20min on arm day.

Thanks for all of the replies. Ironically everyone pretty much suggested the styles I am trying to decide between. 1-6/8/10 or 2/3-12/15. I like the thought of a 1x lpvo but don’t think I will be doing a whole lot of high speed tactical work with a 308 so a little bit more top end magnification might be a bit more beneficial in my situation.
Without knowing what other rifles you have in your arsenal or how you might employ this rifle if 2021/22 gets as interesting in SE MI as 2020 was in other parts of the country, I still think an LPVO is a much better option for you especially considering the distances you specified in your original post.

Anything more than 8x or 10x magnification on a 308 AR pattern rifle is really kind of a waste for any purpose other than punching holes in paper on a flat range. Too much glass just adds weight. And for hunting or defense too much magnification WILL slow you down.

Without knowing what other rifles you have in your arsenal or how you might employ this rifle if 2021/22 gets as interesting in SE MI as 2020 was in other parts of the country, I still think an LPVO is a much better option for you especially considering the distances you specified in your original post.

Anything more than 8x or 10x magnification on a 308 AR pattern rifle is really kind of a waste for any purpose other than punching holes in paper on a flat range. Too much glass just adds weight. And for hunting or defense too much magnification WILL slow you down.
^ I think this sums it nicely. Its all about the use case.

Unless you are really wanting to spend a whole lot of money a 3-9 Leupold or 4 - 12 with firedot reticle would work just fine. Leupold LPVO in the 1.5 -4 or 5 again with firedot would work also

Reactions: Budrichard
Just finished a 16” 308 build. Stuck the 1-6e razor. It’s my “walk and gun.” But the mag is good to 600yrds for broad tagets.

Mine wears a Burris XTRII 1-8, which I think is about perfect for a .308 pattern AR. I have shot it on 12" steel out to 700 yards. I can still run it fast up close on 1x.

Find a used Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10 on eBay and call it a day.
Classic scope, I have Mark 4 on my SR25.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4thandbleek
^ I think this sums it nicely. Its all about the use case.
Particularly with a short barrel. Now if you talking a 22in AR10 in .260 rem or 6.5CM I’d argue 3-18x with an offset RMR is more the ticket

Punching holes between 200 and 250? Sure, you could do it with a LPVO, but that wouldn't be my choice.

NXS 2.5-10x42 if you want to keep the weight down.

If you want even more magnification.... ATACR 4-16x42 or Leupold Mark 5 3.6-18.

Ar10 isn't my idea of a survival rifle (size/weight/scarcity of ammo relative to 5.56) so I have no need for 1x magnification, but if I did, I'd just use a piggyback red dot.

Find a used Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10 on eBay and call it a day.
Classic scope, I have Mark 4 on my SR25.

I have one of those scopes. Unfortunately they are out of production and people are paying a grand or more for used ones.

I run the Vortex gen 2 Razor 1-6, Trijicon Accupower 1-8, and Steiner T5xi 3-15 on my 16"/18" guns and I cannot complain about them at all. Great for hunting down here in the south and I have used the Steiner out to 1150yds on a 16" 308.

Reactions: 4thandbleek
Primary Arms 3-18x with the 308 reticle at a very affordable price point and a very solid reticle. Not sure why you'd go LVPO on a 308 honestly if you're punching paper or hunting. It's not like you need the 1X. I moved on the the Meopta 3-18x50 which has a finer reticle and blocks less of the target. Glass quality is a step up and still under $1K and I'm extremely happy with it even in challenging light conditions.

Reactions: TigernLionGSP
I have one of those scopes. Unfortunately they are out of production and people are paying a grand or more for used ones.
My Post said, find a used one on eBay.
Many of the scopes recommended on this Thread cost more than a used Leupold.

So with this rifle it looks like your main use case is range work, target shooting with some hunting.

I would suggest that the new Vortex Razor HD-LHT 4.5-22 x50 would be worth serious consideration.
It was designed specifically to be a cross over hunting / target shooting scope and in the price range that Scott and Liberty Optics can get one done for you, it is really hard to beat and would fit in your budget with plenty left over. It's lightweight and hits just about all the features you'd want in a 50 yard to 1000 yard scope.

If money was no object, then the March D28HV52WFIML scope would be a perfect option, but at $3600 new, that's like 3x the price of the new Vortex scope.
The TANGENT THETA 3-15 x50 is also a great scope, in an even higher price range, but is better suited for close up hunting and not as much for range work, so I'd suggest that March one over the TT one.

I have several of the Primary Arms Platinum 1-8 LPVOs and they are excellent, BUT I'm going to say that while they will work just fine for the range and for hunting, they are not probably the best, they are designed for extreme close up self defense / slightly longer range target identification and for a gun that is going to be range and hunting, I'd go with the Vortex Razor, which is what I bought and put on my Blaser R8 hunting rifle.

Reactions: Odysseus1911
... it won’t get much long range action, one range a few hours away I can get up to 600 yards but that won’t be very frequent.
Most of my usage will be on the range punching holes in paper from 0-200 and hunting 0-250ish. ... under $2000 but will go higher for the perfect scope.
Steiner P4Xi, anywhere from $550-650.

Last edited: