• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR10 Stock Recommendation Needed

Kpchurch

Voluntold Youso
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Looking for some suggestions and insight for a precision stock. Currently looking at the following:
- XLR’s AR TR-2 BUTTSTOCK
- Magpul’s PRS GEN3 Precision-Adjustable Stock

This is for my AR10 in 6.5 CM I have on order. If you have pros or cons on stocks above or another recommendation, please share.

Go with the Magpul. Pretty much all I’ve used for every AR platform. The Gen 3 is nice

I have no experience with the XLR but I have a Magpul PRS on my .308 AR-10. It is solid with plenty of adjustment. The PRS has solid detente for the adjustments. You can set them and they won't move or come loose. The only minor thing about the Gen 3 PRS is angled slightly on the bottom. The older Gen 1 and Gen 2 were flat on the bottom. It is personal preference. I don't mind the angled bottom. I find it rides a bag very well.

Just put one of the on my AR10 6.5 CM, really nice..

F081A336-A378-4E0E-8E79-2E7FEF64D075.png

I wholeheartedly agree with the Luth-AR MBA-3. I just put one on my AR-10 (PWS MK220) because I switched to a magnified optic and needed a cheek riser. The Luth is a great piece of kit.

Reactions: Ravenworks
I have had the best luck with just the standard A2 stock. Doesn't have the cool look but the the length of pull is good and it rides a bag nice.

LuthAr is nice if you get the soft pad or limbsaver for it.

I like the CTR with a Larue sliding check piece. Simple and light.

For scoped gas guns, I’ve always either run the CTR/RISR or Magpul PRS. However the LMT DMR308 caught my eye and, if I was looking to buy all over again or buy another, I’d give it a try.

I had the DMR308 on my LMT MWS 6.5 Longe Range. It was not as comfortable as the PRS GEN3 that I had in another rifle. So I replaced the DMR308 with a PRS GEN3.

The only feature on the DMR308 that I miss was the ability to quickly extend the stock by moving its position on the buffer tube, like any other collapsible stock.

The main feature missing on the DMR308 is that you cannot raise/lower or cant the butt-pad. This was a problem for when shooting from a prone position.
Awesome to know, thanks for the feedback on it. Never had a chance to run one and wanted to see how it compared to the PRS.

Ive got a prs on my ar10, and i guess that im the odd man out. Dont really care for it, dont like it, but its a stock. Havent wanted to spend more money to replace it, but i wouldnt buy another, nor would i recommend one.

A budget choice I like is the Strike Industries Viper Modular Fixed Stock.

It is very sturdy, has a butt hook and has a monopod accessory available.

No adjustable comb and no adjustable LOP but you can install it with different spacers to get close on LOP if you need it long.

It looks nice too, I think they copied the style of a Barrett .50 butt stock.

Also, I like to use an AR10 carbine style buffer tube so that I can use a much more common AR15 length buffer. POF and Vltor make nice buffer tubes in that length.

Shorty buffers suck.

I’ve had Magpul PRS, Luth AR MBA 1 and 3 and the XLR.

XLR nice for weight saving. Very comfortable

MBA 1- I prefer this to my MBA 3. The 3 is adjustable and even with the set screw to tighten against the buffer tube it’s not as solid as the 1. The 1 however is to long of a LOP with a folding adapter if that matters to you

MBA 3- Nice option for a scoped AR. Does have a bit more slop if you intend to keep the collapsing stock option. I would definitely consider it great for a Varmint rig etc but not the best choice of these for a dedicated precision rig

Magpul PRS- I believe mine is the Gen 3. I’ve owned 2 so far and both are excellent. Everything is solid. It is heavier than the previous options if that matters. Doesn’t collapse like the mba 3 (but neither does the mba 1).

My choice for a Precision rig is the Magpul. Followed by the MBA 1 and then MBA 3. The XLR is solid and right there with the Magpul if you want the weight savings etc.

My Luth MBA 3 will be getting replaced with an XLR for this spring on my Ashbury chassis. I just don’t like the bit of slop it has even with the set screw. But I have a folding hinge on that gun and the mba 1 and Magpul are both to long of a LOP with the hinge

Otherwise I ran the Magpul on a Rock River AR10 LAR 8 and 338 Bolt gun. The Luth MBA 1 on the same gun Rock River. MBA 3 on a Precision AR15 and a bolt 260 gun. Run the XLR on a Rem 700 AAC SD. All said and done I’ll own Magpul PRS and 2 XLR

Last edited:
Reactions: TACC
My dad has a magpul gen3, super solid and I love the feature set, but I’m 5’7”, and the LOP is about 3/4” too long even with it all the way collapsed. Just something to keep in mind.

I like the MagPul fixed stock because it is rock solid with zero movement, plus the storage in the but for a cleaning pull through, oil and a extras.

Hi,

Why do you keep copy and pasting other peoples replies from other forums?
That is pretty big sign of a scammer in the works....

Sincerely,
Theis

Bigger_Hammer
We are the Knights who say Fuuuuu!

Bronze

• Joined Sep 2004
  • Posts 24577
  • EE Offline
USA
TX, USA
group
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 10:48:06 AM EST

I like the MagPul fixed stock because it is rock solid with zero movement, plus the storage in the but for a cleaning pull through, oil and a extras

Skimmed and didn't see it mentioned. Just another option....

I've got a seekins procomp 10x on a precision ar that I like a lot. Saves some weight vs the magpul. Not quite as adjustable, but still get the LOP and cheek riser. Once locked down, I havnt had issues with any wiggle.

I have a couple of Gen 3 stocks, they are soild but heavy.
I am building a new gun and will be putting a LuthAR stock on it as I will be carrying this one and a pound here and there us a big deal.

I have two semi auto 6.5 Creedmoors with PRS gen 1s. They are heavier than other stocks, but the weight brings balance back because AR10s/LR-308s tend to be front end heavy.

I'll say it, no one still makes a good long range stock for the AR, period, they are basically all different bowls of suck soup. We have the JP-SCS now, there's zero reason to force people to run a rifle length buffer tube.

PRS Gen 1/2: No recoil pad and no cant adjustment
PRS Gen 3: ridiculous LOP (15" on a Mega LR308 in it's shortest position) no option for shorter recoil pad.
LMT DMR: have to use their buffer tube, giant cheek rest, and you have no butt plate vertical or cant adjustment
Luth: All too flexy from the ones I've used.
XLR: Maybe the best compromise on paper, but from those I've looked at they just "feel" like they went a bit too lightweight.

The PRS Gen 3 is ridiculously long on a large form AR platform, and as much as this complaint is repeated I'm amazed no one is making a shorter recoil pad for it. The Gen 3 is basically 7/8" longer than the Gen 1/2. Also while the PRS Gen 3 can use a carbine buffer you won't gain any shorter LOP. Magpul at least could have figured a way to run it on a carbine buffer tube at a shorter LOP.

10 years ago everyone was going from crook of arm to tip of index finger, now it's more frequently recommended to be with the index finger in the 90 degree shooting position, which can easily be 1-1.5" shorter.

Some measurements (made from trigger shoe where your finger rests, parallel to barrel, to where the recoil pad ends:

DPMS LR308 Mega with PRS Gen 2: 14 1/8"
DPMS LR308 Mega with PRS Gen 3: 15"
AR15 Mega rifle buffer with PRS Gen 2: 13 1/2"
AR15 Mega rifle buffer with PRS Gen 3: 14 3/8"

For Reference:
Rem 700 5R Gen 2: 13 3/8"
Sako TRG - no spacers: 14"
M4 - A2 - 13.5"
Remington LTR (original version): 14"

If your ar10 is coming with the adjustable stock, the LuthAR is a quick swap. Not that it's hard to swap out buffer tubes. I had a prs on mine and I didn't like the extra weight.

Sure.

The rod in the SCS that the bolt carrier usually slides around can't slide through the solid center of the bolt carrier extension of the Law Tactical folder. I tried, it obviously wouldn't work.

You drilled out the buffer extension.

What does Law Tactical say about that?

Wow that was a lot of vague back and forth posting to determine that the law folder and SCS don’t in fact work together without modification.

• Haha
Reactions: 2aBaC̶a̶
Wow that was a lot of vague back and forth posting to determine that the law folder and SCS don’t in fact work together without modification.

Lol, its the internet. And when you tell someone you cant do that, it wont work. And they've already done it, and it does indeed work.

No modifications necessary. Simply use a different BCG plug. Literally plug and play.

Well actually it doesn't unless you change out parts.

So quit trying to be a wise ass.

That IMI looks pretty nice, I hope it locks up well.

Oh, that reminds me, if I have a carbine stock that wobbles, sometimes I line the interior with aluminum flashing tape or heavy duty duct tape (smooth surface type) to get a tighter fit. Use enough and you can make some "commercial" stocks fit on a Mil-spec buffer tube (I did that for a cheap discontinued commercial MOE FCS).