• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

AR15 loads bushi DCM upper 1:8 twist cabon barrel

Kopterdoc

Private
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2003
So. Ca.
Shoots factory ammo just fine. But when I load 23gr, 23.2gr and 23.4gr of N135 for a 69gr SMKHPBT in a FC 1X fired case and CCI 400 primers the bolt does not go all the way to the rear, about 5/8" short of full open, even with a single round sled for slow fire. No ftf or fte. My plan is to load just enough powder so it cycles the action completely for our 100yd matches and adjust up from there for longer matches. I plan to bring this to the matches I have been shooting with my M1 and M1A. The lower came with a 16" upper from Bushmaster. I was told by BM the buffer should be gtg for the 20" too. I started out with 22grs of N135. Did the same of course. So I started going up in the loads. Am I being too conservative? I was told by another shooter in my club that loading compressed loads in the AR is not unusual. I have always been able to stay away from compressed loads in the M1's. The thought of compressed loads makes me nervous. Should it? Maybe some of you more experienced AR 15 loaders can give me some advice. Thank you in advance.

Re: AR15 loads bushi DCM upper 1:8 twist cabon barrel

Absent any chrono or pressure data for these loads, and given the success you have had with factory ammo cycling, I'd say need to keep going up in powder increments until you get to at least the level that functions and is still safe.

I am unfamiliar with the VV powders and that primer;

1) Is n135 a ball powder? If so a magnum primer might work better.

2) Are CCI 400 primers magnum primers? Answer no- http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/primers/primer_chart.htm

3) How are the loads you listed doing for accuracy?

ETA according to this, you have almost another grain to go yet to be at max charge for this powder;

http://www.lapua.com/fileadmin/user_upload/Relodata/.223Remington.jpg

according to VV max load is 23.8 of 135 under a 69grain smk.

What I would try is pulling the buffer out and trying a lighter buffer.

What stock do you have on it? Is it a A1/A2 or is it a carbine stock?

Other than the buffer tubes being different the spring in them is different as well, usually the carbine has a stiffer spring and a heavier buffer to help quell the sharpness of recoil.

If its got a carbine set up I would look for a lighter buffer, and possibly a lighter spring.

Have you ran those loads over a chrono to see what kinda speed you are getting to take that into effect as well. If the speed is on the upper range of things, and you are showing signs of pressure and such you know you cant go much further.

Short stick. Thats one reason I like it. CCI 400 are standard primers. Using a rest five shot groups are an inch and under at 100yds. I believe I'm .4gr under max. I bought a pound of N140 a while ago. Slower burn rate so maybe will push bolt back further. Just want enough to cycle the bolt. Thank you.

Queequeg. It's basically a match rifle and weighted in the but stock. So.....= heavy. 13 lbs. or so.

So I was close
crazy.gif