• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR500 Steel silhouette stand

Shoottothrill

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2012
Arizona
Hey guy's I just got a AR500 full size silhouette and built a stand for it so it would swing when hit. I used 2" PVC pipe and kept it simple. Total cost with hardware is about $40.00. I'm sure it will get shot up on occasion so I bought some extra chain, bolts and PVC and cut it into 4' lengths so it's easy to change out in the field. The uprights are 4' tall and the cross member is also 4' each leg is 4'. The silhouette weighs roughly 45lbs and is easily supported by the 2" PVC. Just thought it might help someone on a budget build a nice stand. It breaks down super easy as it is not glued and I carry it to the desert in old tent bag I had.

Last edited:
I was wondering about that, and am curious to see how long it takes before one fails. I have a couple extras cut that I'm going to bring along just in case. I will report back on that with pics.

I think you should find a way to splay the chains out on an angle so you don't shoot them everytime you miss he head by half an inch. Maybe use some wire to pull the tops of the chains towards the edge of the stand.

edit:
Run a couple of cheap bolts through the PVC with the long threaded ends hanging out pointed towards the sky and pull the chains over those. That would pull them out towards the edge and keep them from getting shot so much

Last edited:
Thats a good idea Redirt, I may go over to the fire station and see if they have some old hose that they will give me as well, will probably hold up better than the chain.

If the PVC doesn't last on you, use threaded pipe. I used 1/2" on some of my first stands. They are still in use. Lowes carries precut and threaded lengths or you can take your measurements in an they will cut and thread them for you.

One thing I have noticed about PVC is if you shoot in really cold weather (30 degrees or below) is that you'll crack the PVC really easily. I had some target stands outside (0 degrees) for about 5 hours one day and 2 of them cracked with MINIMAL stress...just in pulling the 1x1 wood posts from the stands I cracked 2in PVC in several places. You can beat on this stuff in warmer weather, but just be careful in the colder weather...I'm not sure how they'd hold up to steel swinging around in freezing temps.

Also, I've had steel targets next to my PVC stands and I haven't had any issues with spash chewing up the legs, but YMMV.

I think wrapping some tire tread you find on the road around the legs will help combat bullet splash if that's a worry. I think it's a good stand though, easy to break down, set up, and transport.

Thanks Afate45, but I live in the Phoenix area, cold here is 68 degrees. Haha

That's not even nice! Today I spotted for my buddy and it was 7 degrees F with a 15 below zero wind chill!

Back on topic. Take a look at Arntzen Targets out of Rockford IL. I know you already got 40 bones in your stand, but if you're wanting another or something different, take a look at their stands. I have several of them. Some are out year round. They are light enough to pack in if needed, fold, and splatter and even direct hits on the legs (300wm) don't phase them. Just an option.