• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ARCA or Picatinny

HeavyAssault

Dog-Face One-Horse Pony-Soldier (AVN RGT)
Minuteman
  • Feb 14, 2011
    Florida
    So in looking for some bi-pod mounting options I found a few things. One: Picatinny style, Two: ARCA, or Three: A hybrid that combines a small section of ARCA with Picatinny.

As my current stud style sling points are 3" apart on the stock fore end, the above choices/version all can fit easily on the stock. They even have a swivel style sling point as well.
    Is there any pros/cons for either version??

For the bottom of the rifle or the interface on the bipod?

For the bipod interface. Works with both. https://rrssoar.com/sc-arc
    sc-arc.01__05869.png

I have an arca adapter for every single bipod I have, and I really don't like them. I wish they were all just arca instead of needing a pic to arca adapter and adding unnecessary height to the bipod. I don't think it makes me drop a point at a match, but I still don't like it.

Arca is vastly superior because you can quickly slide forward and backward on the front limb. I have been on quite a few stages where this made a big difference in the stability of my position.

I was wanting a mount on the rifle stock. Then use whatever (ARCA/Pica) on the bipod.

I was wanting a mount on the rifle stock. Then use whatever (ARCA/Pica) on the bipod.
    Personally, if just for a bipod....that is, at the front of the fore end and not a full length thingy so you can clip it into a tripod, I too would just go with a pic rail.

Then...if you think you are ever going to want to share that bipod across diff rifles, one/some with ARCA, you can put the RRS ref above (or similar) mounting on the bipod. If not a possibility, then just go pic on the rifle and the bipod. Right?

Reactions: HeavyAssault
    Yep. I just wasn't sure what the differences as it seemed they do the same thing. I get the versatility of the ARCA, does seem to have better functional intent. I think the ARCA is a bit more streamlined for a rifle. As noted above it could help with a little bit of height change. I ended up watching a few install videos to understand the differences in ARCA lengths.

Reactions: Figmo
    really depends what the purpose of the rifle is

just a bipod on the front? pic (think most hunting stocks)
    bipod front and tripod rear? pic front and arca rear (manners LRH)
    tons of possibilities with bipod/tripod positon? arca full length (any comp chassis/stock)

Right on @b6graham . Since I got the option to go either way as the stocks have only studs at this point I was thinking ARCA. I didn't realize that you could remove the action screw to use as a mount point for the ARCA, then go full rail to the fore end.

Reactions: b6graham
    I just put an Atlas CAL with 419 mount on my Xylo chassis. My first experience with ARCA. I must say, I'm not blown away by it. You really have to crank the knob to keep it from coming loose. I may try the ADM mount, but I'm not sure if that has the locating pins??? The ARCA does give you the full forend to put shit on, but I think a 1913 rail is superior for mounting a QD bipod. Maybe if 419 used a lever like the KMW podloc it might work better. IDK.

didn't realize that you could remove the action screw to use as a mount point for the ARCA, then go full rail to the fore end.
    I wouldn’t do that. I just put an Area 419 full length rail on my rifle and used the front action screw. It ruined accuracy. So I put one of the T-nuts just in front of the recoil lug and run it without the front action screw. I need to bed the rail to the bottom of the stock because there is considerable side to side flex in the system. With it being attached only at points along the center of the rail, that’s to be expected. But I’ve taken the rail off for hunting season and put a short pic rail up front. Incase it matters to you to know that. I have the RRS arca/pic hybrid adapter on my bipod

@Dot3 : Yea, I had seen a few posts about that potential issue with accuracy. I don't think it's worth the potential trouble to use the forward action mount point.

@ryodlsl : Thanks for the included pic. That's a great setup!

At this point I need to add an additional mount point T-nut to my stock if I want a longer rail. Thank you all who have responded!!

Reactions: Dot3
    Eeeegads. No picatinny rail on the bottom of a forend. That’s a recipe for hating yourself later….when you want to quickly move your bipod, when you want the forend to sit on a bag out front (tripod rear support for example), when you want to slide the rifle into a port and have to lift it over the sawblade that’s sticking almost 1/2” off the bottom. No to picatinny. And get a bipod that is Arca capable or an adapter that replaces whatever you have so as to not add height. Clamp on clamp on rail, and the resulting stack height, is dumb unless there’s some reason it is literally your ONLY option.

What stock are you running?
    McMIllan and a Seekins PH1. Either one will allow me to use one mount point (already installed) but I will need to install a second/third mount point for a longer ARCA section.

@OREGUN : Yea, that was one thing another person I talked to agreed with. Sure a Pic rail works, but the "root saw" aspect of the rail could lead people down the ARCA road.

All my ARCA rails extend at least 2” forward of the limb. You can spigot a pic too, but the ARCA is the easy button for getting your bipod all the way in front of your stock/chassis. Lower/wider/further forward=more forgiving.

I don’t put them on rifles I’m going to shoot off hand. Too uncomfortable.

Go ARCA for versatility. You can use the put it anywhere on the rail no matter what you are shooting off of. Way out front is not always the best place for a bipod if shooting off a short table or barrel top etc. No down side to ARCA.

1AD6F72A-3A95-45A0-B55B-D51157E99E8C (2).JPG

Yea, I had seen a few posts about that potential issue with accuracy. I don't think it's worth the potential trouble to use the forward action mount point.

I have mounted a few that way and there is no issue with accuracy. They shot as good as they did before I put the ARCA on. You can add an extra T nut easy enough if it bothers you though.

I have mounted a few that way and there is no issue with accuracy. They shot as good as they did before I put the ARCA on. You can add an extra T nut easy enough if it bothers you though.
    My stock tapers along the fore end and doesn’t allow a bind-free contact point with the front action screw. It took a good load akd turned it into a shit load and back into a good load once I got the rail off the front action screw. That was my reference point-the binding that I got.

My stock tapers along the fore end and doesn’t allow a bind-free contact point with the front action screw. It took a good load akd turned it into a shit load and back into a good load once I got the rail off the front action screw. That was my reference point-the binding that I got.
    Mine were on Manners stocks that were fairly flat so will depend on what the OP is using.

Go ARCA for versatility. You can use the put it anywhere on the rail no matter what you are shooting off of. Way out front is not always the best place for a bipod if shooting off a short table or barrel top etc. No down side to ARCA.

View attachment 7981484

While I agree with a lot of this, I will say that ARCA is more prone to slip than picatinney.

Doesn't happen often, especially if you have quality gear and RRS spec ARCA equipment, but can happen as clamps loosen up or you are shooting larger cartridges (like .300NM).

I've personally found that lever clamps are better for this than the knob types, you can put more clamping force on the rail with a good lever setup. If you're using a knob, periodically check how tight it is..

But yes, ARCA is the king for versatility. Be careful of the ARCA rails that extend beyond the forend and are unsupported, placing anything beyond that supported section is asking for elevation issues.

There’s no issue with an ARCA rail that extends past stock of a quality unit. The Manners TCS are all like that and no issues. Same with the 14” Area419. I have used them at the end when needed and no issues with accuracy.

I can't stand the 419 knob. It's gotta go! Anyone have experience with the RRS and ADM? I've used ADM before and like their mounts for the most part. Any reason to go with RRS over the ADM? It's like $60 more and I don't need the 1913 feature. Thoughts?

I can't stand the 419 knob. It's gotta go! Anyone have experience with the RRS and ADM? I've used ADM before and like their mounts for the most part. Any reason to go with RRS over the ADM? It's like $60 more and I don't need the 1913 feature. Thoughts?
    Disclaimers say you can't remove ADM from arca rail, it must be slid off. That would be reason to upgrade

There’s no issue with an ARCA rail that extends past stock of a quality unit. The Manners TCS are all like that and no issues. Same with the 14” Area419. I have used them at the end when needed and no issues with accuracy.

Interesting. I've just heard from many, including Frank, that there's a bit of a "trampoline" effect that shows up at distance on targets.

I haven't tested it myself, but my extended ARCA rails are JAE, which accounts for that through design to stiffen up the front unsupported section.

Never saw any trampoline effect in my rifles. I usually run them out there if shooting prone.

I’ve never experienced ARCA sliding the way some folks talk about it, I don’t even go crazy tightening mine, it’s just the factory Ckye mount

I’ve never experienced ARCA sliding the way some folks talk about it, I don’t even go crazy tightening mine, it’s just the factory Ckye mount

I had my factory Ckye mount slide on me just the other day on a KRG ARCA rail.