• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Are 1/2x28 threads on AK47 (.311) barrel sufficient to run suppressor?

ss355

Private
Minuteman
May 14, 2013
Austin, TX
My gunsmith couldn't do left hand nor metric threads, but I measured, with calipers, enough meat on the barrel for 9/16x24 threads. He said the bore was far enough from concentric to the OD that he couldn't do 9/16x24, so, without first consulting me, he cut 1/2x28 and gave me an adapter to step up to 5/2x24 threads to attach a YHM QD flash hider for my Ti Phantom 30 cal can. 1/2x28 on a .311 bore seems like pretty thin barrel wall thickness at the threads. YHM does make a 30 cal QD flash hider with 1/2x28 threads, so I could ditch the thread adapter if I ran that FH. Compounding the problem is that the shoulder against which the adapter or FH will index is about .572, less than the .600 that YHM specifies for the 1/2x28 FH. Do I ask for a refund and send the barrel to ADCO to have it threaded M14x1 LH or run the 1/2x28 FH and not worry about it? I appreciate any advice you gents can offer.

UPDATE: When I threaded on the can and looked down the bore, I could see baffles on one side. A test with a tight-fitting threaded rod confirmed that I risked a baffle strike. I think the problem was that the threads weren't a class 3 fit, allowing the flash hider to cant slightly because the minuscule shoulder combined with a slightly off-center bore resulted in the shoulder supporting one side of the flash hider but not the opposite side. I took the barrel back to the gunsmith, and to his credit, he refunded my money in full.

Last edited:
If he didn't complete the work order you requested he should have called you before moving on. I would demand a refund and do it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.028 is a noticeable gap imo, can the barrel be shortened enough to gain shoulder width...legally? Or maybe a custom machined spacer/shim to widen it?
Just a thought for ya man. I would definitely go with the yhm .30 cal 1/2x28 fh though