• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Are the AMP Program Codes Progressive? Annealing 6GT Alpha

MDof2

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2020
Magatopia
Are the AMP program numbers progressive? Meaning is the program code 141 'less' annealing time than 145?

I'm reloading 6GT, annealing 1 fired Alpha brass. I have two references on program codes for the MKII AMP. 141 and 145.
I have not sacrificed a piece of my brass to analyze it yet.
Curious on if the codes AMP uses are progressive, and or what others used.

Capture.JPG

256549806_249413227255859_6509312230620428570_n.jpg

Reactions: Kpchurch
I'm needing the proper codes as well, for both the hornady and alpha brass.... burn that alpha and post that code :)

I'll burn a hornady case next time I have the AMP out and ready.

Here is a screenshot from the AMP website...

View attachment 7745716
Thanks, I've reviewed what was posted on AMP's website. Which would lead one to believe that the thinner cases getting a setting of 38 versus the thicker (un-turned) necks get a AMP setting of 44.

Don't know if this applies as well in AZTEC mode.

Also sent them an email in the meantime. Will post their response here for reference.

If you have Aztec, put in the pilot number ( 073C ) and use whatever code it gives you. I also wouldn't hold my breath waiting on a reply from
Alpha.

If you have Aztec, put in the pilot number ( 073C ) and use whatever code it gives you. I also wouldn't hold my breath waiting on a reply from
Alpha.
Only had to hold it for 45 minutes or so.
Alex got back to me pretty quickly.

The AMP program numbers are linear.

From AMP:
Yes, our AZTEC codes are linear, meaning the higher the number the more heat. That was not the case when we first launched AZTEC. We were concerned about our IP, so we initially had randomized codes. That turned out to be a bad idea which just confused people, so we reverted back to linear codes. This was our news release in July 2018:

https://www.ampannealing.com/news/47/aztec-linear-code-patch-now-available/

AZTEC is extremely accurate. Any variations you see in codes is due to brass variability. With top quality brass you should get codes no more than +/- 1. Note that out of round case mouths will deliver erratic codes. For much more on AZTEC, and the effects of different codes, check this article:

https://www.ampannealing.com/articles/46/annealing-under-the-microscope/

Also note that we have two AZTEC pilot codes for 6 GT. Factory brass from Alpha or Hornady needs 073 C, whereas cases formed from 6.5 x 47 Lapua use 073 B.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lonely Raven