• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are the FN SPR enthusiasts extinct?

Muggs13, nice rifle. Working on a couple myself. Should have some pictures before to long.
Just picked up a Winchester ultimate shadow 243 that is going to be a 6 creed. Same action I believe. The FN tbm works.

My PBR as purchased was set up with a four round detachable mag in the black rubber Hogue stock.

A while back, I picked up one of the green Hogue Stocks on eBay that @USNavy06 had linked to as it included the bottom metal to accept the FN magazines. (Thank you, sir.)

I will say that the black stock is cheap compared to the green one. The green one at least has an aluminum back bone, whereas the black one has a plastic backbone. So, that's an upgrade.

I then picked up an A3 stock that was for sale in the PX for dirt cheap. It has already been fitted for an M70 so another bonus.

I removed the bottom metal from the green Hogue stock purchased off of eBay, but it won't fit in the A3.

I've now got a call into Long Rifles Inc to see if they can do some inletting for the A3 to accept the TBM bottom metal.

In the meantime, I picked up a ten round mag from Midwest Gun Works.
Playing around this morning, I found the mag would easily accept eleven rounds of Hornady TAP. Not too shabby I say.

This rifle is quickly becoming one of my favorites. I may have to pick up a few more mags before they become extinct.

Reactions: USNavy06
Got mine together for the first outing.

Temporarily swapped my Gen 1 Viper from my 22-250 just to get shooting. Will be getting better glass when funds recover. TBAC CB added for when the ultra 7 is finally paroled.

Have an 12” ARCA coming and MCARBO spring on the bench for when it gets taken apart for the ARCA. Picked up a few 10rd mags from MGW.

Considering a sponge camo but not to sure yet on my confidence of doing it haha.

175 SMK’s over Varget and IMR4895 to start.

90B5F7DA-7DD5-4692-8BFE-9AAA628993CD.jpeg

100yd prone. 175smk & IMR4895 @ 2648fps showing some promise. Little cool today 25f, 10mph gusting 15-18.
7A33AAA4-AF82-47FA-BF2B-F71D0B37B8D4.jpeg

Varget was typical disappointment once again.

Man the Viper is tough to look through anymore after spending so much time lately behind my ATACR. Interestingly, zeroed I’ve only got 9.6mils of up, scope is rated at 19 total. Wondering if the rail isn’t actually a 20moa/5.8mrad. Anyone run into that?

100yd prone. 175smk & IMR4895 @ 2648fps showing some promise. Little cool today 25f, 10mph gusting 15-18.
View attachment 7499481

Varget was typical disappointment once again.

Man the Viper is tough to look through anymore after spending so much time lately behind my ATACR. Interestingly, zeroed I’ve only got 9.6mils of up, scope is rated at 19 total. Wondering if the rail isn’t actually a 20moa/5.8mrad. Anyone run into that?
Highest probability if Varget isn’t behaving, you are too light in charge weight.

Highest probability if Varget isn’t behaving, you are too light in charge weight.

Went to 45 grains, 2630fps range.

It’s either lacked in speed or accuracy or both in 223,22-250,243, 308 and 375h&h for me. It’s strange because everyone raves about it. I’ve burned 3-4 pounds and never impressed.

Oddly, my FN's have done better with the 175 SMK over BLC-2. So I feed them BLC-2 and 175 SMK. Stay away from the ragged edge in the summer time.

Reactions: Shootnwrench
Went to 45 grains, 2630fps range.

It’s either lacked in speed or accuracy or both in 223,22-250,243, 308 and 375h&h for me. It’s strange because everyone raves about it. I’ve burned 3-4 pounds and never impressed.
I’ve burned hundreds of pounds of Varget, has worked exceptionally well for me.
28F72B4F-D9AF-4DC9-B060-A888859A53A0.jpeg

Factory Win 70 HBV
7D99B50C-1CD3-4D59-98F1-F2B6A7BFFEF0.jpeg

5 rds, 185 Juggernaut @ 100. Round out of group is in me, too much thinking about not messing up.
AB1FF0CB-B173-4819-AF5A-97B1C603E242.jpeg

5 rds, 185 Juggernaut @ 200

4E215E46-C1D5-4EB0-A71A-313F901A9D8D.jpeg
Couple of upgrades. 12” Area419 arca rail and MCARBO trigger spring added, 2.75lbs and smoother from the factory 4lbs. Looking forward to trying it with the Atlas.

Interestingly I was able to adjust the factory spring lighter than the MCARBO but it was inconsistent in pull weight when set under 3lbs.

2nd time to the range with it, prior to trigger tune up. 175smk & IMR4895 still working well, though ES/SD with range pick up win brass and win primers is higher than I’d like. 44-45 grains by .2
68F1CEEF-7C50-420C-AF39-6426E6911D3A.jpeg

Seriously pondering a 4-32nx8 for glass upgrade.

View attachment 7506393Couple of upgrades. 12” Area419 arca rail and MCARBO trigger spring added, 2.75lbs and smoother from the factory 4lbs. Looking forward to trying it with the Atlas.

Interestingly I was able to adjust the factory spring lighter than the MCARBO but it was inconsistent in pull weight when set under 3lbs.

2nd time to the range with it, prior to trigger tune up. 175smk & IMR4895 still working well, though ES/SD with range pick up win brass and win primers is higher than I’d like. 44-45 grains by .2
View attachment 7506396

That is such a kickass looking rifle...

View attachment 7506393Couple of upgrades. 12” Area419 arca rail and MCARBO trigger spring added, 2.75lbs and smoother from the factory 4lbs. Looking forward to trying it with the Atlas.

View attachment 7506396

Nice setup.

I am curious what mcarbo spring you went with? Are these pre or post 2008? I am old and the years are running together ;)

thanks
Bikejunky

That is such a kickass looking rifle...
Thank you sir, really enjoying this short little package and super happy with how it’s shooting right out of the gate.

Never gave the SPR much of a consideration partly because the original MSRP but mostly as I wanted a 6.5 and prefit barrel capable action but after building a full on custom 6.5 and finally taking the plunge on a suppressor.

All of a sudden a 20” .308 with long barrel life in a short handy package made a whole lot more sense especially in the $1800 range for the rifle even if it does require a smith for rebarrels.

Nice setup.

I am curious what mcarbo spring you went with? Are these pre or post 2008? I am old and the years are running together ;)

thanks
Bikejunky

Original Winny 2 lever style trigger pre 2008, apparently some of the lower end models towards the end of production did come with the MOA style trigger. While the MOA trigger is very smooth I prefer the ruggedness of the original. It’s a trade I’d take any day.

Reactions: stello1001
The original triggers can be adjusted. I keep them stock and adjust them. Never found a need to add any aftermarket parts.

The original triggers can be adjusted. I keep them stock and adjust them. Never found a need to add any aftermarket parts.

They can definitely be adjusted but it still won't get you to where the McArbo trigger spring gets you. I have three m70/SPR rifles and played with them a whole bunch. On one of them, I was able to get the original spring considerably light but had creep. On another, the rifle would fire upon closing the bolt hard/fast. I just went with the spring on all 3 instead...

How low are you trying to go? 2.5-3lbs with a crisp pull was easily done on the ones I’ve owned.

How low are you trying to go? 2.5-3lbs with a crisp pull was easily done on the ones I’ve owned.

I don't have anything to measure pull weight so I have to go by is "feel" which we all know doesn't mean much haha. But yeah, they're great factory triggers. I just found to get a bit more adjustment with an $8 spring so I said why not. If I had to purchase three $150 triggers I would have just kept the factory triggers and adjusted them the best I could.

I don't have anything to measure pull weight so I have to go by is "feel" which we all know doesn't mean much haha. But yeah, they're great factory triggers. I just found to get a bit more adjustment with an $8 spring so I said why not. If I had to purchase three $150 triggers I would have just kept the factory triggers and adjusted them the best I could.

Nice! Enjoy the gun. The SPR was really done right. The A5mreally only needed a larger bolt knob. They corrected that in the lose current version and have really good bottom metal systems.

Done the triggers on 5 of my classic M70’s and kept the factory stuff, like my hunting rifles 3-3.5lbs.

I did notice with a couple of them that under 3lbs they got inconsistent like this SPR. The factory spring actually would go lighter than the MCARBO but lost consistency in pull weight. Only reason I tried the spring. Dead on 2lbs 11oz every time.

MCARBO harping on the factory 2 nuts in there video is dumb. They describe it as if the nuts move around, yeah if you move them or don’t tighten them back up.

Nice! Enjoy the gun. The SPR was really done right. The A5mreally only needed a larger bolt knob. They corrected that in the lose current version and have really good bottom metal systems.

I ended up buying an FN SPR bolt knob for one of my rifles and also bought a TBM. I've been holding off on doing the TBM conversion because I kinda think I wanna go AICS though. We'll see how it goes when I finally make my mind lol...

I had “tactical” bolt knobs made of steel and knurled. The weight makes a difference, to me, in cycling speed.

Agreed, appreciate the knob on this XP, gives it momentum so to speak that seems to smooth it out.
I haven’t handled the new ones with the factory tactical, but yep, that’s what my heavy steel bolt knobs do.

Keeping this thread alive.

I sent off my PBR to have the A3 stock inletted for the TBM bottom metal.

I'm having them thread the barrel while they are at it.

Hope to have it back in a few weeks.

On a side note, my membership to the local range was approved so I've now got access to 1k on a regular basis.

Can't wait to get out and do some shooting!

Mine SPR A5 XP has been getting some updates lately:

1. I just got my A5 stock back from Joe Ducos, he replaced the saddle type cheek piece with Loggerhead hardware.
  2. I also had an Anschutz rail installed in the forend so I could install a hand stop for sling shooting and I've got a Atlas Pic rail section coming for easy installation of my Atlas CAL.
  3. I swapped the factory smooth teardrop bolt knob for an Area419 grooved bolt knob ( https://www.area419.com/product/419-bolt-knob/ ) This bolt knob mimics the feel of my ARC Archimedes knob.
  4. I swapped scopes, I picked up an Athlon Ares BTR Gen 2 4.5-27 on Black Friday. At less than half the price, the glass isn't as bright as my March scopes, but it is still excellent. I'm excited to have a floating dot reticle in this gun as well, it's my favorite type of reticle for targets and steel.

I'm thinking I might paint the stock just for some variety. When the weather warms up I'm going to rattle can it. I'm thinking either duck hunter camo or McMillan Camo. I still haven't decided yet.

Also, I've been shooting 2 stage triggers for so long that the trigger on this FN is starting to feel.....wrong. It's a good trigger, but I need to adjust it down. If I start shooting it more I may spring for a CG Xtreme 2-stage trigger for it. I had one of these on my Eliseo and I loved it. This would also allow me to move the trigger shoe forward to get better grip/trigger placement for my long fingers.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-11-25 220342.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-11-25 220342.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 78
  • CGC .jpg
    CGC .jpg
    352.8 KB · Views: 71
Reactions: Basher
Factory barrel loves the Sierra 175 gr BTHP and BLC-2. Just make sure you do your load work up in the hot summer, and not the cold winter, lol.

Keeping this thread alive.

I sent off my PBR to have the A3 stock inletted for the TBM bottom metal.

I'm having them thread the barrel while they are at it.

Hope to have it back in a few weeks.

On a side note, my membership to the local range was approved so I've now got access to 1k on a regular basis.

Can't wait to get out and do some shooting!
Nice!
I'm sending my PBR XP 300WSM to Mark @ SAC along with a MCMILLAN A5 that I have.
Gonna have Mark put Badger Bottom metal, Bartlien barrel, work over the action, cerakote
I am excited....

Nice!
I'm sending my PBR XP 300WSM to Mark @ SAC along with a MCMILLAN A5 that I have.
Gonna have Mark put Badger Bottom metal, Bartlien barrel, work over the action, cerakote
I am excited....
Badger makes bottom metal for the pbr?

Mine SPR A5 XP has been getting some updates lately:

1. I just got my A5 stock back from Joe Ducos, he replaced the saddle type cheek piece with Loggerhead hardware.
  2. I also had an Anschutz rail installed in the forend so I could install a hand stop for sling shooting and I've got a Atlas Pic rail section coming for easy installation of my Atlas CAL.
  3. I swapped the factory smooth teardrop bolt knob for an Area419 grooved bolt knob ( https://www.area419.com/product/419-bolt-knob/ ) This bolt knob mimics the feel of my ARC Archimedes knob.
  4. I swapped scopes, I picked up an Athlon Ares BTR Gen 2 4.5-27 on Black Friday. At less than half the price, the glass isn't as bright as my March scopes, but it is still excellent. I'm excited to have a floating dot reticle in this gun as well, it's my favorite type of reticle for targets and steel.

I'm thinking I might paint the stock just for some variety. When the weather warms up I'm going to rattle can it. I'm thinking either duck hunter camo or McMillan Camo. I still haven't decided yet.

Also, I've been shooting 2 stage triggers for so long that the trigger on this FN is starting to feel.....wrong. It's a good trigger, but I need to adjust it down. If I start shooting it more I may spring for a CG Xtreme 2-stage trigger for it. I had one of these on my Eliseo and I loved it. This would also allow me to move the trigger shoe forward to get better grip/trigger placement for my long fingers.

Joe does amazing stock work, but do you have any photos of your stock after the Loggerhead install? The saddle cheek is one of my only gripes with the rifle, and I’ve been meaning to ask him if the swap was possible. I’d love to see an “after” photo! What did it cost you to get done?

Also, I too am a big 2-stage fan. What was your experience like with the CG X-Treme in regards to reliability and overall feel? I’m a huge fan of AI’s trigger, but don’t live on an AI budget anymore. That being said, I might spring for the CG if it’s worth it and can handle field/hunting use as well as comps. Anything you can offer there before I drop $300+ on it would be most welcomed!

If ya’ll are ditching the factory triggers, I’m in the market to buy one or two of them.

Reactions: stello1001
@Basher here are a couple of pics...

Typical Stock Doc work, looks amazing! I’ll have to drop him a note soon and see what he can do for me. The saddle works, but it’s not my favorite. Any thoughts on the trigger you can share? Are they truly worth the price of admission?

These are the bolt knobs I get made. Solid stainless and heavy. That mass and momentum makes working the bolt extremely fast.
2B5C10D8-61DB-4758-B502-0252E939E1DE.jpeg

Reactions: PBWalsh
When this rifle was smiffed, we looked at the mindset behind the SMLE and where the bolt handle was in location to the firing hand.

You come off the trigger with a knife hand engaging the bolt handle with the index finger, when the bolt hand stops upward movement you curl the fingers back as you work the bolt towards you. When you push the bolt forward you hook the thumb over the knob and the knob rests in the curved heel portion of the hand giving maximum purchase, no slip, and plenty of real estate in case you have to really push a round home.

When you rotate the bolt down, you are already back on the trigger and pistol grip. Very fast follow ups.

"the Germans brought a hunting rifle to the war, the British brought a battle rifle and the Americans brought a target rifle"

It would be cool to be able to get a modern action with cock on closing. Would be able to work the bolt gun even faster. The Brits put a lot of thought into their battle rifle.

62F65F27-D4BF-4468-97A3-116AF8553B20.jpeg
F52FA0B2-A892-4DE0-BE93-ABF2D3CD1B1C.jpeg
88B57E88-2388-4B02-996C-EE116D8A96E7.jpeg

Last edited:
That 4-32 looks shorter than my Steiner 4-16 Military (now discontinued).