• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are the FN SPR enthusiasts extinct?

Winchester on the action, FN SPR on the barrel. There were 2 that were the proving rifles built on the LA - one FN has, the other one is floating out there somewhere, and I guarantee FN USA knows where it is. I can probably get a decent picture of my roll marks if you were curious.

That's exactly how I imagined they would be. You're good, I know I've seen them exactly as you described somewhere. I just couldn't remember 100%. You confirmed for me.

Reactions: RBERGER82
So what’s the status of the new DBM Chad? @LongRifles Inc.

Don't know if you saw his thread or not. The new DBM is very slim not bulky looking at all. I don't know how else to describe them but they look very very nice. The mag sits flush on the bottom and I believe they are 4 rounders. I like them more for a win70 lightweight hunting style rig.

Reactions: natdscott
Don't know if you saw his thread or not. The new DBM is very slim not bulky looking at all. I don't know how else to describe them but they look very very nice. The mag sits flush on the bottom and I believe they are 4 rounders. I like them more for a win70 lightweight hunting style rig.
Have now. Thanks!

Reactions: stello1001
Is it the long action DBM he showed for the semi custom gun he built?

This thread is dangerous.

I cut my teeth shooting distance with an A3G. I sold it to help fund and AI but this thread got me nostalgic...

I just got this A1 for a good deal. She is portly but just feels right.

I plan to have a local Smith thread and do the bolt knob but could use some help with bottom metal. My old go to was CDI... Godspeed.

What are people’s thoughts on TBM vs AICS conversions? I have other other AICS rifles so that seems the way to go but not 100% up on the receiver modification or the need for binder plates.

any help is appreciated

52A3B48A-75EE-4700-8EC0-AF63AB6265C6.jpeg

This thread is dangerous.

I cut my teeth shooting distance with an A3G. I sold it to help fund and AI but this thread got me nostalgic...

I just got this A1 for a good deal. She is portly but just feels right.

I plan to have a local Smith thread and do the bolt knob but could use some help with bottom metal. My old go to was CDI... Godspeed.

What are people’s thoughts on TBM vs AICS conversions? I have other other AICS rifles so that seems the way to go but not 100% up on the receiver modification or the need for binder plates.

any help is appreciated

View attachment 7458040
At the moment, you can either buy the bottom metal kit from Midwest GunWorks or take a shot at finding one on ebay, or use the really shitty one from PT&G. Using the FN bottom metal limits you to the 10 round mags, BUT you don't have to modify the AICS style mags. I have also heard of a possible solution coming from @LongRifles Inc. but i can't seem to find the story there. I use the FN bottom metal on my match gun with the FN mags and have no problems at all!

There was a guy here in Missouri selling the TBM bottom metal with a brand new OD green hogue stock on eBay for $75. I bought 3 of them. Might check it out and see if they are still available.

To be clear, these are direct drop ins even with the older mag system installed?
I literally took the 2 screws out of my bottom metal on the McMillan, pulled the barreled action, dropped the FN DBM in, reinserted the barreled action and torqued it down. Total time, about 3 minutes. I still have the green Hogue that he shipped with the DBM floating around if you would like to see?

I literally took the 2 screws out of my bottom metal on the McMillan, pulled the barreled action, dropped the FN DBM in, reinserted the barreled action and torqued it down. Total time, about 3 minutes. I still have the green Hogue that he shipped with the DBM floating around if you would like to see?

Awesome, I really appreciate you sharing this. I plan to order a couple from him to offset shipping cost as I see at least 1 more SPR in my future.

Reactions: USNavy06
Awesome, I really appreciate you sharing this. I plan to order a couple from him to offset shipping cost as I see at least 1 more SPR in my future.
Yeah, thats the nice thing about the SA SPRs. My LA, not gonna make DBM play nice!!

That's not the TBM. That's the older style detachable mag. But the TBM should work. I was thinking it had a different footprint but dug one of each out and while slightly different mag box size, both seem to have the same outer footprint. Maybe someone w/ more experience swapping them will chime in. If you get the TBM and it doesn't fit, you could probably easily get your $ back out of it here.

I actually prefer the old DBM. Have a good stash of spare mags, but the factory mags are still going strong. Have had them since 2012-ish. The 243 has been rebarreled 5 times. 308 still on original barrel with over 12,000 rds documented. It’s still sub 1.75 MOA believe it or not.

Just great out of the box guns, except for needing larger bolt handles.

Reactions: bikejunky
Reactions: USNavy06
Looks like MGW has the 10rd mags again. Seems like they were kinda hard to find not too long ago.

Given location/items, that ebay seller must have some connection to MGW.

I can't stand PTG but their bottom metal for the Short action AI style mag conversion is Solid and trouble free.

Modification to the receiver is no big deal, either owner accomplished if you have a mill or just about
any decent gunsmith can knock it out for you.

I have 3 that are converted to use AI mags. 2 CDI's, 1 PTG.

This thread is dangerous....

I broke down and made my 4 hour round trip and bought one. Shop has 15 more if anyone wants one lol.

Just broke down and ordered one from them. Hoping it arrives before I have to leave for a 3 week work rotation.

Did ask for a cherry pick test target or serial number that’s neat, will see if anything becomes of it.

This thread is dangerous....

Just broke down and ordered one from them. Hoping it arrives before I have to leave for a 3 week work rotation.

Did ask for a cherry pick test target or serial number that’s neat, will see if anything becomes of it.
Nice! Yeah they had good prices on them. I hear they ship fast so I’m sure you will.

Those of you with a TBM, are your mags wobbly in there? I got a TBM and 2 mags, one 5 rounder and one 10 rounder. Both will click securely into place but still have a lot of play and they wobble.

Also, if there is some pressure applied to the mag from the bottom, the mag moves upward into the bolt a bit. I do not know if this will be a problem. My stock is not yet cut for this bottom metal so I was not able to run a few rounds and see if the there could be any potential problems.

Anyone care to give me feedback on how your TBM is working out?

I have an SPR with the TBM as well as a FN PBR that I converted over to the TBM with an Hs precision stock and neither one has any excessive mag wobble. I like the system very much.

Picked mine up yesterday, just in time before heading to work for 3 weeks. Had to see what the CB brake is gonna look like, no time for decent pictures.

Pondering on glass now, not wanting to do ATACR money, but used NX8.... Brownells MPO... hmmm

test target looks 👌

E16D77A6-76F6-4229-92B6-17AED9BB07A5.jpeg
29A77223-69FF-4E1E-9C1B-F6A94B1256CB.jpeg

Looking good, congrats! Where are did you get this from and do they have more?

Picked mine up yesterday, just in time before heading to work for 3 weeks. Had to see what the CB brake is gonna look like, no time for decent pictures.

Pondering on glass now, not wanting to do ATACR money, but used NX8.... Brownells MPO... hmmm

test target looks 👌

View attachment 7475385View attachment 7475386

Have killed 15 in the last month.
got a doe Sunday morning and nice 8 point this morning.
FN SPR rebarreled to 6.5 creed with 22” proof carbon. 10.5 lbs ready to hunt.

Attachments

• 972122B5-D99D-4526-8F89-D719CBFD4462.jpeg
    972122B5-D99D-4526-8F89-D719CBFD4462.jpeg
    791.3 KB · Views: 74
  • DF387BA2-5B61-4BE9-90CE-1B5A3B31241F.jpeg
    DF387BA2-5B61-4BE9-90CE-1B5A3B31241F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 79
  • 13246A67-AE63-4AF6-892C-919239A85E5C.jpeg
    13246A67-AE63-4AF6-892C-919239A85E5C.jpeg
    689.4 KB · Views: 67
I actually prefer the old DBM. Have a good stash of spare mags, but the factory mags are still going strong. Have had them since 2012-ish. The 243 has been rebarreled 5 times. 308 still on original barrel with over 12,000 rds documented. It’s still sub 1.75 MOA believe it or not.

Just great out of the box guns, except for needing larger bolt handles.

ive got an extra original bottom metal and mag, if you're interested. its just sitting there so i would just sell you the mag and you get the bottom metal for free. I bought a bare action a decade ago when CDNN had the SPR actions for cheap and built off that. CDI bottom metal and McMillan A3 custom from McMillan with a Douglas Air gauged barrel. I keep getting the bug to sell this, but cant bring myself to do it yet.

Anyone with an Arca rail on their SPR? Area419 sends a long action screw in order to attach the rail to the rifle. It is the front action screw which secures the rear part of the rail. The problem is, the screw is for r700.

Do you guys just get a long m70 screw and use that? Also, any issues with the TBM being in the way? Will there be clearance to mount the rail? I'd appreciate any feedback.

I'm getting my FN SPR A5M XP....yikes that's a long moniker... I'm getting it ready to spend more time together next year. Anschutz rail in the forend, I'm going to have stock Doc replace the cheek piece then maybe some nice paint.
I'm looking forward to trying some F-TR with it.

Would anybody be able to get me a measurement or tell me what arca length is best for an SPR? I'm talking about the one with the A3 stock. I'm currently away and won't be back home to get a measurement until after black Friday and I'm trying to see if I can score one during the sales...

Anyone running the Hornady 178g BTHP bullets?

Graf had them for $68 for 200. I figured I'd give them a try, even though the rifle has a 1:12 twist.

I've got three boxes of the Hornady 168 Amax ammo and it shoots pretty well so if the 178s don't shoot, I'll find more of the 168s.