Are the FN SPR enthusiasts extinct?

Deej

Sergeant
PX Member
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2012
MO
No problems with the feed lips on my FN 10 rnd mags but I did stretch the spring and the work great!
I’ve had to do that and have replaced springs in some also but they get a lot of wear so expect that.

wapiti16b

Sergeant
PX Member
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2014
New Mexico
Nice group, I also use ARC rings , how do you like them?
What barrel length does your SPR have ?
Mine is a 20" 1n12 fluted and likes 178 ELD-X , 175 SMK , 168 Berger Hybrids and 155 Sierra Palmas so far!
How do you like the NX8?. I'm using a GEN II Razor on mine!

Shootnwrench

Supporter
Supporter
PX Member
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2020
Soldotna AK
Nice group, I also use ARC rings , how do you like them?
What barrel length does your SPR have ?
Mine is a 20" 1n12 fluted and likes 178 ELD-X , 175 SMK , 168 Berger Hybrids and 155 Sierra Palmas so far!
How do you like the NX8?. I'm using a GEN II Razor on mine!

It’s a 20” XP model.

I like the ARC rings, easy set up and mounting. Don’t have the grabbing/canting tendencies of the typical split rings while mounting. Run them on my 6.5 as well.

The NX8 is good but not on the same level as my 7-35 ATACR, no surprise right. Focus is touchy and I did buy it with the intent of using it as a 4-25x.

I wanted to keep the weight lower, lower price but similar controls and reticle to the ATACR, honestly though I’d prefer if the ocular turned like the ATACR, in Alaska with cold hands being able to palm the thing is easier and it doesn’t bother me at all if the ocular turns.

Shot a Kraft Challenge the other day for the first time, very slow and methodical.
ACAC6F7C-D69D-4FBA-A74E-924407C23E3C.jpeg
C1BD5928-B759-45F6-83B2-8DAB4CA4850A.jpeg

Last edited:

paulL01

Didicoy Muggle
PX Member
Minuteman
May 2, 2012
Blue Ridge Mtns
Well fellas, some very expensive dental work has put me out of the game
I hope this helps someone. They could send it to Mark like I was going to.

Aussieusa

Private
Minuteman
May 21, 2020
In 2011 I had one of the A3G models. It’s was awesome until I put my thumb into the stock while holding it due to an air bubble under the surface. Took it back to to the LGS in Margate, QLD (any Aussies reading this know which one), and it sat there for over a year before they finally refunded me. I was pretty pissed about what happened with respect to that, but that set aside, I loved the rifle and would buy one again if I ever came across one at the right price. My brother has a A5M, and it’s lights out also (sucks you need to buy the 10 rounder seperate)

athanasios23

Sergeant
PX Member
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2009
New York, USA
Ran across this on another forum. Not affiliated but I know people are looking for these rifles in this thread.

Naaman

Sergeant of the Hide
PX Member
Minuteman
May 13, 2020
Doggone it! I really wish I could get one of these for a build. Or a TSR.

Kinda jealous, but haply for all you guys that have 'em.

Twinsen

Private
PX Member
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2013
AZ
I put one of mine up for sale on a commonly used website for selling guns and listed it pretty cheap.

Twinsen

Private
PX Member
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2013
AZ
I didn't know if I was allowed to, but yeh it's on there. I consider that price "cheap" considering I paid 1200 for mine.

Jason280

Sergeant
PX Member
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2005
GA
My first "custom" rifle was a .308 built on an FN SPR action and McMillan stock by Accurate Ordnance. For some reason, I could never make myself like the action or setup, even though I still have the orginal fluted 20" barrel laying around somewhere.

Deej

Sergeant
PX Member
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2012
MO
My first "custom" rifle was a .308 built on an FN SPR action and McMillan stock by Accurate Ordnance. For some reason, I could never make myself like the action or setup, even though I still have the orginal fluted 20" barrel laying around somewhere.
My first custom was a spr 6.5 creedmoor when it first came out. It was done up by accuracy addiction. Love that rifle. It’s on its 4th or 5th barrel. Now I have 3. One in 6 gt one in 6.5 creedmoor and one in 7/300 wsm.

Twinsen

Private
PX Member
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2013
AZ
My first modern* bolt gun was an SPR. I've now owned 20+ bolt guns. Each time I shoot an SPR, I remember all the reasons I like them best. I've shot a dozen customs and none are as good in my opinion. I've had terrible luck with guns, gun parts, reloading bits, etc. I really lucked out on the SPR. So dang smooth and fast.

Reactions: Deej and moosemeat

Kimber.204

A Stranger in a Strange Land
PX Member
Minuteman
May 30, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I had plans to install a CG Xtreme two-stage trigger in my SPR A5 this year and it looks like their website is down....maybe permanently. I haven't heard back from Tom. Looks like I'll have to try and find one of these triggers used. I really need the adjustable trigger shoe.

Twinsen

Private
PX Member
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2013
AZ
I used the 300 WSM PBR today. The action is fantastic and the cartridge is fun.

I had my RPR with me, which has grown on me greatly. I love the RPR. But it is trash compared to the SPR and PBR.

Basher

I fly stuff and I know things.
PX Member
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2004
Chandler AZ, USA
I had plans to install a CG Xtreme two-stage trigger in my SPR A5 this year and it looks like their website is down....maybe permanently. I haven't heard back from Tom. Looks like I'll have to try and find one of these triggers used. I really need the adjustable trigger shoe.
Oof. I’m a big 2-stage guy, but have been holding off buying one of the CGs because a) funds, and b) I can’t find enough about how well they hold up. Maybe I waited too long... :confused:

DRandi

Sergeant of the Hide
PX Member
Minuteman
May 24, 2014
Oof. I’m a big 2-stage guy, but have been holding off buying one of the CGs because a) funds, and b) I can’t find enough about how well they hold up. Maybe I waited too long... :confused:
I’ve run a CG trigger, (also CG triggers in my American Rifle Nucleus and Archimedes) in my FN PBR for about 5 years and 3200ish rounds. I don’t have a lot of time on different triggers, but so far it is my favorite by a long shot. Mostly just target shooting in the field. Little bit of FL sand and rain, zero problems.

I run mine setup with the mil spec spring set 1lb first stage and 2.5lbs second for a total 3.5lb pull weight. Springs, individual stage weight, take up, over travel, and sear engagement are all user changeable. If memory serves me correctly, the CG trigger is a approved Accuracy International replacement. Can’t remember the AI model, was few years ago when I last talked to Tom.

The adjustable trigger shoe version is compatible with replacement Anschutz shoes. I prefer the solid shoe for more field durability.

wichitaguns

Private
PX Member
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2012
Well I bought the last 5 round spr mag .
3 others at midway .
So if I cant find magazine...any options for an internal box magazine for the fn sprs?
I would think that any model 70 short action internal box magazine would work ...right?

athanasios23

Sergeant
PX Member
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2009
New York, USA
Well I bought the last 5 round spr mag .
3 others at midway .
So if I cant find magazine...any options for an internal box magazine for the fn sprs?
I would think that any model 70 short action internal box magazine would work ...right?

Check out Midwest Gun Works for FN parts. Ordered a few things from them.

DRandi

Sergeant of the Hide
PX Member
Minuteman
May 24, 2014
Is that the cci bottom metal?
It’s the PTG proprietary 5 round detachable mag. It’s not compatible with any other magazines. Originally I had the BDL internal mag system. Another Hider was looking for the BDL system. So we swapped. I planned from the beginning to drop this into a chassis, so I didn’t care about the crappy proprietary 5 round mag. Then life happened, but I’m back to slinging lead with the FN.

wichitaguns

Private
PX Member
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2012
It’s the PTG proprietary 5 round detachable mag. It’s not compatible with any other magazines. Originally I had the BDL internal mag system. Another Hider was looking for the BDL system. So we swapped. I planned from the beginning to drop this into a chassis, so I didn’t care about the crappy proprietary 5 round mag. Then life happened, but I’m back to slinging lead with the FN.
That's cool. Second edit
I just found it on their site. Seems like a solid option to keep the FN running.
Any feeding issues or modifications needed for reliability?

Last edited:

wichitaguns

Private
PX Member
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2012
Looks like the 5round fn mags are in production and just hard to find. Which is good.
The 10 rounders seem long gone.
Midwest had the 5 round bodies but 10 round springs and no followers. So the assembling the mag idea is DOA

DRandi

Sergeant of the Hide
PX Member
Minuteman
May 24, 2014

wichitaguns

Private
PX Member
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2012
The PTG bottom metal that accepts AI mags is still available. Might have to do some minor inletting. If using a stock that is the route I would take. The AI pattern magazines are widely found and better in function.

That is great news. And no modification needed on the receiver itself?
I thought that was for the ai mags, maybe it was a byproduct of the cdi metal.

DRandi

Sergeant of the Hide
PX Member
Minuteman
May 24, 2014
That is great news. And no modification needed on the receiver itself?
I thought that was for the ai mags, maybe it was a byproduct of the cdi metal.
Depends on the mags. Some yes, some no. I think the new generation MDT metal double stack center feed mags work, but not sure. Their polymer mags work according to the last time I talked to their tech support.

Take me a few days, but I’ll try and pull my stock FN receiver out and mock up a MDT metal mag and see if it clears.

edit: just checked, nope. Have to clearance the front of the receiver mag well ever so slightly to fit the MDT metal mags.

Last edited:

wichitaguns

Private
PX Member
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2012
Depends on the mags. Some yes, some no. I think the new generation MDT metal double stack center feed mags work, but not sure. Their polymer mags work according to the last time I talked to their tech support.

Take me a few days, but I’ll try and pull my stock FN receiver out and mock up a MDT metal mag and see if it clears.

edit: just checked, nope. Have to clearance the front of the receiver mag well ever so slightly to fit the MDT metal mags.
Thanks for checking!.
It's great news though that the proprietary ptg 5 rounders work, which look like the old AE MK 1 mags.
A bit pricier than the FN 5 rounders, but it's good to have options in case FN halt the 5 round version.