• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are the FN SPR enthusiasts extinct?

“Bullied someone”. You liberal woke wuss.. I’m not a soldier.. I don’t get my feelings hurt. Must be a doggie thing.
You're just a fucking cunt. I don't get my feelings hurt either but I will stand up for anyone I think is being mistreated. You came in here like an asshole attacking someone and not knowing what the fuck you were talking about. Go eat some crayons.

I already apologized but that wasn’t good enough. Fuck em both.

I had asked this question before about what kind of regular accuracy are people getting with thier A5M XP’s? I have tried everything but it just hovers around 3/4-1 inch. Occasionally.5. It is factory spot bedded. I’ve taken the trigger down to about 2 Lbs. FGMM ammo 168-175. I expect better based on my A2A4... Thoughts?

Last edited:
I had asked this question before about what kind of regular accuracy are people getting with thier A5M XP’s? I have tried everything but it just hovers around 3/4-1 inch. Occasionally.5. It is factory spot bedded. I’ve taken the trigger down to about 2 Lbs. FGMM ammo 168-175. I expect better based on my A2A4... Thoughts?

I found a load for my A5M a few years ago using RL15 and 155gr SMK Palma's. So I loaded a bunch of it....and now it's 3/4MOA at best. Still good practice ammo, but not what I thought it would be.
I have a load that I developed for a different gun using IMR4064 and 168gr Tipped Match Kings it shoots 1/2MOA or better in 4 different barrels. I'm out of the Tipped Match Kings and I just haven't picked any more up (since I don't shoot the .308 much right now).
I will also state that this gun has never preferred FGMM....I don't know why....it just doesn't.....1MOA at best.

I'm hoping to try some Peterson Cartridge Co. factory ammo for this .308 later this year when they start catching up with their orders.

Reactions: Master Gunny
I found a load for my A5M a few years ago using RL15 and 155gr SMK Palma's. So I loaded a bunch of it....and now it's 3/4MOA at best. Still good practice ammo, but not what I thought it would be.
I have a load that I developed for a different gun using IMR4064 and 168gr Tipped Match Kings it shoots 1/2MOA or better in 4 different barrels. I'm out of the Tipped Match Kings and I just haven't picked any more up (since I don't shoot the .308 much right now).
I will also state that this gun has never preferred FGMM....I don't know why....it just doesn't.....1MOA at best.

I'm hoping to try some Peterson Cartridge Co. factory ammo for this .308 later this year when they start catching up with their orders.
Thank you. I have a LaRue Tanguillo suppressor on order that I want to throw in it. I wonder if I fully bed it if that will help. I shot it with a Sig QD 7.62. It shoots good with it but once I take off the suppressor and reattach, then the zero jumps around. No consistency with it unfortunately.

Attachments

• 8B70515E-FBF4-4CF2-A5B5-184565046594.jpeg
    8B70515E-FBF4-4CF2-A5B5-184565046594.jpeg
    551.9 KB · Views: 108
Part of my issue is still that I haven't learned how to shoot off of a bipod yet. I got an Atlas CAL last fall and it's great. But, I've got other shooting goals and using the bipod on my .308 won't help me reach these current goals.
I'll get there, I was hoping to take a class with Frank and Mark this summer (since they've got some classes in Pennsylvania now), but I just can't make it happen time wise.

Reactions: Master Gunny
Part of my issue is still that I haven't learned how to shoot off of a bipod yet. I got an Atlas CAL last fall and it's great. But, I've got other shooting goals and using the bipod on my .308 won't help me reach these current goals.
I'll get there, I was hoping to take a class with Frank and Mark this summer (since they've got some classes in Pennsylvania now), but I just can't make it happen time wise.
When you say you haven’t learned how to shoot off of a bipod.. can you explain a little more? Prone from a bipod is a great position. Off of a pack and or a Hog Saddle is also great. Especially off of a Hog saddle or some similar mount. Especially from an urban setting (Hide) out of a room. This is the most realistic forms.
Obviously you want to find out what your rifle can do (off a bench) but training off of different mounts (vehicles, cars, Trucks and obstacles) and such will make you better. Classes are good. You can even search reputable sources for training. 8541 is pretty good on YouTube. Many others as well. Keep practicing. Not to insult your intelligence but practice your breathing and keep dry firing. These 2 are huge. Buena Suerte (good luck)

When you say you haven’t learned how to shoot off of a bipod.. can you explain a little more? Prone from a bipod is a great position. Off of a pack and or a Hog Saddle is also great. Especially off of a Hog saddle or some similar mount. Especially from an urban setting (Hide) out of a room. This is the most realistic forms.
Obviously you want to find out what your rifle can do (off a bench) but training off of different mounts (vehicles, cars, Trucks and obstacles) and such will make you better. Classes are good. You can even search reputable sources for training. 8541 is pretty good on YouTube. Many others as well. Keep practicing. Not to insult your intelligence but practice your breathing and keep dry firing. These 2 are huge. Buena Suerte (good luck)
I think my issues are bipod loading and recoil management. I've been shooting all my life, mostly improvised field positions (lots of hunting - especially woodchuck and squirrels) and NRA highpower (square range, 4 position with a sling)...I have no issues posting high scores in NRA matches, but like I said, running the bipod on the concrete is more difficult for me at this point.

Later,
Ross

Hit the range earlier this week to get some velocity readings after picking up some Lapua brass.

Recently had the barrel threaded and put in the A3.

Shooting with a can is so much more pleasant.

And yes, that's a pouch and a set of fixit sticks being used as a rear bag because I forgot one 🤦‍♂️

PXL_20210519_212603219.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20210519_212553179.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20210519_212544681.jpg

No, the bottom metal for the A3 wouldn't work with the bottom metal that I pulled from the Hogue stock.

The bottom metal in the A3 used the four round mag with the mag release forward of the mag well, whereas the bottom metal I'm using had the release on the trigger guard side

Reactions: Smitty192
Yes, that same green Hogue stock. I bought it with the bottom metal and 1 mag off of eBay.

I then picked up the A3 in the PX.

Sounds right to me, mine is a 20" fluted 1n12" from a floor plate mag that I converted to a FNH Bottom Metal Magazine on a McMillan A-4. It is still one of the most accurate rifles I own and I have a few barreled by Bartlein & Broughton on FN & SAKO receivers.

lost the screws for my 20 morail. Have bought two sets of replacement 8-40 screws. Both sets the heads are to big for the holes in the rail. Does anybody know who supplied these rails so I can call and get the correct ones.

thanks

I just bought an A3 green stock with a bottom metal / magazine kit. .....Then I bought the barreled action from the same guy.

I was just going to swap stocks on my A5, but now it looks like I'll have to find room in the safe for another stray.
The A3 will need to spend some time with StockDoc, so I've got plenty of time to think about what I really want to do with the new action.

I'd really like to have the firing pin bushed and run 6BR, I've heard that it does well in these SPR actions. We'll see though. Maybe I just need to keep it a 6XC to match my NRA High Power rifle.

Suggestions?

I wish I could find a 20 inch A5A. That gun would never leave my side. I sure miss my A2 that spent her time in a Manners T4A. Shot .2 moa 5 shot groups with factory SSA 175. Like an idiot I sold it off thinking I wanted something lighter. Life is full of regrets and that was one of them.

I just bought an A3 green stock with a bottom metal / magazine kit. .....Then I bought the barreled action from the same guy.

I was just going to swap stocks on my A5, but now it looks like I'll have to find room in the safe for another stray.
The A3 will need to spend some time with StockDoc, so I've got plenty of time to think about what I really want to do with the new action.

I'd really like to have the firing pin bushed and run 6BR, I've heard that it does well in these SPR actions. We'll see though. Maybe I just need to keep it a 6XC to match my NRA High Power rifle.

Suggestions?

You can buy an MDT ESS chassis and run MDT AI mags without having to open the action to accept AICS mags. You'll be able to build a badass chassis rifle this way.

Reactions: Twinsen
I realize MDT is pushing their products really hard, but I don't see a chassis they make that will fit our actions.

Thank you. People keep offering m70 products, telling noone, and discontinuing then when they don't sell.
I'll agree with the lack of marketing, but I'm betting it all boils down to the lack of popularity of the M70 action.

Yeah, lots of guys have one in the safe, but most are just hunting rifles and that's all they'll ever be.

Which is unfortunate, but reality.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
I'll agree with the lack of marketing, but I'm betting it all boils down to the lack of popularity of the M70 action.

Yeah, lots of guys have one in the safe, but most are just hunting rifles and that's all they'll ever be.

Which is unfortunate, but reality.

I would assume it has to do with the R700 "pedigree" more than anything having to do with the M70 itself. The M40, M24, and 700 Police probably cater to the large market share which wants what the gubmint uses.

After seeing what a lousy product Remington was putting out since 2005, though... I was dead set against anything they make. And now they aren't making guns at all anymore... so the market may shift to some other action over the next few years (or else go to custom, non-mass produced rigs).

I have been an SPR enthusiast for many years now, got my first one for $940 delivered, so it’s been a while back and it’s still a hammer.

My new F-class project is an SPR action that has been in the safe for many years, it was about to die from loneliness, 29” Krieger 10 twist HV 308 barrel bedded into an A3. Definitely won’t be a walking around rifle.

It will be throated for heavy bullets, if they ever become available again. I will be picking it up early next week and will do a little load development. I don’t expect any surprises since I have a pretty good idea of where to start with 175 SMKs. Going to be fun.

Went to my buddy's ranch yesterday and decided to take the SPR with me. Since I had not tried out my suppressor, it tagged along.

IMG_20210626_182626_944.jpg
target_image.jpg

This was 5 @ 575 with FGMM 168. I had absolutely no idea what my dope could be as I've never doped her out. I dialed a random 3.5 mils and held right edge for windage and got the dead center hit.

I was bummed when my second shot hit top left quadrant as I thought my group was going to be real open. But then the rest of the shots followed up to that second one and all landed on top left quadrant. At this point, I can only assume first shot was cold shooter or cold bore? Maybe the suppressor does this to the first shot? Anyhow, last four rounds caused a decent group.

I would assume it has to do with the R700 "pedigree" more than anything having to do with the M70 itself. The M40, M24, and 700 Police probably cater to the large market share which wants what the gubmint uses.

After seeing what a lousy product Remington was putting out since 2005, though... I was dead set against anything they make. And now they aren't making guns at all anymore... so the market may shift to some other action over the next few years (or else go to custom, non-mass produced rigs).
Remington M24’s are as accurate as any production gun around. They are top of the line. I love my SPR’s but my M24 is more accurate then any of my SPR’s. It’s close but noticeable. I have also seen other M24’s that shoot so mine isn’t a one off. In fact, I have found the M24 to be as accurate as the M40A1/A3. Both of these M24’s were built well past the time you said Remington was building crap.

I wish that FN was still building the SPR’s. They just wernt selling unfortunately. The Remington action is just cheaper to produce and once the M40/ Remy PSS got adopted by the Corps and many law enforcement organizations it had a heck of an impact on the market for tactical rifles. Winchester didn’t do a good job at that time. It hurt Winchester push feed guns. Winchester put out a great push feed action but it didn’t take off. Manly due to Winchester’s bad marketing. The Winchester Mauser action is amazing but it is more expensive to make and that’s why Winchester stopped and went to push feed. Mauser action isn’t as smooth as the the push feed (doesn’t bother me)

Attachments

• 9D70E4E8-C74A-4272-A474-204C3C913397.jpeg
    9D70E4E8-C74A-4272-A474-204C3C913397.jpeg
    754.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 5120E2FA-87C2-41DE-A633-9682CAB08EB9.jpeg
    5120E2FA-87C2-41DE-A633-9682CAB08EB9.jpeg
    558.3 KB · Views: 101
  • BF0CFEA1-CD2F-497A-82EE-AFCF7CEEFC4B.jpeg
    BF0CFEA1-CD2F-497A-82EE-AFCF7CEEFC4B.jpeg
    300.2 KB · Views: 89
  • CBA41691-7579-4FE6-AF9C-14623DC08B67.jpeg
    CBA41691-7579-4FE6-AF9C-14623DC08B67.jpeg
    630.9 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Reactions: PBWalsh
I think the main selling point when they 1st came out was the accurate everlasting chromelined barrel , and feel they should have had a few more updated features at the time , like a threaded muzzle .
If they had morphed into a rifle similar to the PH M85 , they may have gained a bigger foot hold , ie had a longer tunion to better support a heavier than sporter barrel , detach double feed , etc , and may have been kept in production ?