• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are the FN SPR enthusiasts extinct?

Like the 🍍...hahah what's the significance or you just like 🍍?
In the Corps a Master Gunnery Sergeant chevron has a bursting Bomb between the stripes. Some call it a Pineapple. My wife asked me when I got promoted to MGySgt why they put a pineapple in the rank. So it’s kind of a trademark or tribute to her remark to put a pineapple decal on my Bolt guns…lol
E5F734EF-D967-4526-A618-5332C566D5EC.png
4FB672C8-BC49-450D-A49E-3F82610BC952.jpeg

View attachment 7660552
Just spent the afternoon fitting barreled action of my A5M XP into the a hogue stock with full length aluminum chassis. The reason for the switch is that I’m trying to compare the accuracy difference between factory bedded Fiberglass McMillan stock and full aluminum chassis stock such as manners. The hogue is considered to be a cheaper alternative.

This hogue stock is originally designed for FN PBR line which shares the same action as SPR line. The barrel channel, on the other hand, is different. Took some time to file both side of fore end of the stock to make the barrel free float. Will update after the range trip. It’s been raining the whole week in Houston.
Just coming back from the range. Was on a short time budget so only did 3 five shot groups with 3 brand ammo - wolf steel case 147gr FMJ (1.6 MOA), Federal non-typical 150gr SP(.9 MOA), and sig sauer 168gr OTM(.35MOA). The good news is the accuracy of 168gr is significantly better with Hogue (chassis stock). I have not yet been able to get any 168gr factory match ammo (FGMM,PPU,Sig,GGG) to group within .5MOA 5 shots on the factory McMillan. I may need to do more test with this new stock in the near future, probably August when my schedule free up a bit.

Attachments

• 5F9DF131-4EB3-4AD9-A619-B1575DC06507.jpeg
    5F9DF131-4EB3-4AD9-A619-B1575DC06507.jpeg
    324.3 KB · Views: 79
I also got out with my hogue stocked A5M and had better results then with Macmillan stock. .51-.78 on 3 different groups.

Last edited:
That's pure weird but if it works it works. I know that the hogue stocks on the remington rifles(not a full aluminum bedding block) were trash. But my HS stocks with a full aluminum block shoot great.
If you like the mcmillian maybe have it fully bedded? If you like the Hogue your golden.

Random question for A3G owners....

Anyone here have a factory A3G that they put a 24" 6.5CM Proof CF barrel on? If so, do you happen to have a weight that's just the rifle, scope rail, and proof CF w/o brake?

Thanks.

Just purchased a set of MDT LSS chassis from the hide. Dropped my A5M XP barred action in with no issue. Only have to sand a tiny spot on the rail to make the barrel completely free float. Still waiting on the magazine from Opticplanet. From what I researched some work needs to be done on the feeding lip in order to clear the large claw extractor on the SPR bolt. Will update once done.
270DEAD7-69C3-4A39-BB61-3375DE5972F8.jpeg

Reactions: hgr2 and TEUFEL820
Just purchased a set of MDT LSS chassis from the hide. Dropped my A5M XP barred action in with no issue. Only have to sand a tiny spot on the rail to make the barrel completely free float. Still waiting on the magazine from Opticplanet. From what I researched some work needs to be done on the feeding lip in order to clear the large claw extractor on the SPR bolt. Will update once done.View attachment 7684612
Will you be using AICS style mags?

Just purchased a set of MDT LSS chassis from the hide. Dropped my A5M XP barred action in with no issue. Only have to sand a tiny spot on the rail to make the barrel completely free float. Still waiting on the magazine from Opticplanet. From what I researched some work needs to be done on the feeding lip in order to clear the large claw extractor on the SPR bolt. Will update once done.View attachment 7684612

So I finally received the package from OP after 2 weeks. The metal 10 round magazine wouldn't secure in the mag well initially, after inspection it appeared the rear locking lug on the magazine is a tad lower than the locking bar in the mag well. This is understandable since the 10rd metal magazine is designed for LSS Gen2 and ESS chassis while what I have is a LSS Gen1. The work to make it work turned out to be very easy - the only thing I did was to sand the rear locking lug on the magazine and open it up a little. Now the magazine sits perfectly in the chassis and feed pretty reliably with 7.62/308 rounds. I'm glad this worked out since the only other method to chassis the M70 action is to get an ESS chassis that costs over $1K and requires to modify the action and bolt on the rifle.

Last edited:
What does the complete package weigh? Looks pretty nice. Well, except your scope mount is on backwards……😂😂

Reactions: Frontseeker
12.8 pounds with the scope and mount included. I intentionally installed the mount backward to offset the 20 MOA factory rail (it's a 20 MOA mount).
That is pretty nice set up. My A2/A4 is a beast with scope. 18.5 Lbs

Do any of you enthusiasts know if there are magazines, besides the FN brand, that will work in the SPR?

A Tikka CTR mag looks similar but I doubt it would work. Could it be made to work?

anything else out there relatively close?

Now that FN isn’t making them anymore, they are hard to come by.

Do any of you enthusiasts know if there are magazines, besides the FN brand, that will work in the SPR?

A Tikka CTR mag looks similar but I doubt it would work. Could it be made to work?

anything else out there relatively close?

Now that FN isn’t making them anymore, they are hard to come by.

AI style mags from MDT will work when using an MDT chassis. Heck, they may even work on non MDT chassis/stocks but perhaps tweaking will be needed.

I took my barreled action out of my stock, tried placing an MDT AI mag in the mag opening, and it goes in. I then tried with an accurate mag AI mag, and it was a bit wider that it would not go in.

Good luck!

All my AI mags are .962-.972 inches wide on the ass end, whereas the FN mag is only .952” so those won’t work.

This is where the holdup seems to be.

Would you be able to measure the width of your MDT mag at the back?
I’d be willing to buy one in the hopes I could make it work.

All my AI mags are .962-.972 inches wide on the ass end, whereas the FN mag is only .952” so those won’t work.

This is where the holdup seems to be.

Would you be able to measure the width of your MDT mag at the back?
I’d be willing to buy one in the hopes I could make it work.

I am not home where all my rifles and gear are at.

However, I have taken a screenshot from MDT website where it says they have designed their metal 308 AICS mags to specifically work with short action model 70s.
Take a look for yourself.

Screenshot_20210908-153954_Samsung Internet.jpg

Link to that screenshot down below...

I am not home where all my rifles and gear are at.

However, I have taken a screenshot from MDT website where it says they have designed their metal 308 AICS mags to specifically work with short action model 70s.
Take a look for yourself.

View attachment 7699426

Link to that screenshot down below...

I ordered one. They are in stock, so that's a bonus.

I'll post up once it arrives and what, if anything, I need to do to make it work.

The biggest issue is going to be how the mag latch catches the mag. The AI mags catch on the back, where as my bottom metal catches on the side of the magazine.

If you haven’t seen it.
7WSM, FN SPR with Broughton 1/9 twist with custom OTB Titanium suppressor.
CDI DBM, Manners T5-A, Minox ZP5 MR4.
Barrel is about gone and when it goes I’m going to send it to LRI to be retubed.
stock paint by Scimitar

D4D4CC36-1382-48F6-9675-B46E8B18D0BE.jpeg

Last edited:
I ordered one. They are in stock, so that's a bonus.

I'll post up once it arrives and what, if anything, I need to do to make it work.

The biggest issue is going to be how the mag latch catches the mag. The AI mags catch on the back, where as my bottom metal catches on the side of the magazine.

Yes, please do share how the mag works out for you. I'm very interested.

If you haven’t seen it.
7WSM, FN SPR with Broughton 1/9 twist with custom OTB Titanium suppressor.
CDI DBM, Manners T4-A, Minox ZP5 MR4.
Barrel is about gone and when it goes I’m going to send it to LRI to be retubed.
stock paint by Scimitar

View attachment 7699444

Still one of my very favorite rifles on here. I do gotta correct you though, that's not a T4-a stock. I could be wrong but I think it's the T-5a, and that thumbhole stock is why I like the rifle lol.

Yep, typo. I’ve got a few T4-As and only the one T5-A now. I think about ordering a T5 for one of my other rifles.
The mag system works great. Gotta get it installed correctly. Prob is, Jeff at CDI Precision passed and most of those DBMS are gone now. Hard to find.

Reactions: stello1001
Quick update. I received the MDT mag.
I tried inserting it into the bottom metal, but it looks like it’s too long to fit.
I just got home and it’s late so I’ll mess with it more tomorrow, but not off to a good start.

• Sad
How did I not put 2+2 together?! The MDT mags should work regaurdless of chassis manufacture. I'm going to try it. It could be the best option for a WSM.

The MDT mag is about .060” longer than the FN mag.
Still trying to figure it out but some bottom metal has to be removed. But if I do that, then I’m fully committed to MDT mags because I don’t think the FN mag would work after that.

The MDT mag is about .060” longer than the FN mag.
Still trying to figure it out but some bottom metal has to be removed. But if I do that, then I’m fully committed to MDT mags because I don’t think the FN mag would work after that.

Have you taken the barreled action out the stock to see how it fits in the receiver as well? Have you tried putting a round in and looking through the rear of the action at the case presentation?

Have you taken the barreled action out the stock to see how it fits in the receiver as well? Have you tried putting a round in and looking through the rear of the action at the case presentation?

I've put the MDT mag in the bare receiver magwell and it goes in and up just fine. I think to look at the case presentation when I did this a few months back, otherwise I would have done so...

With a McRee chassis, the new MDT mag locked into my unmodified PBR action. The mag doesn't have an overtravel stop specifically for a Win 70 so it can sit too high and interfere with the bolt. So I pulled it down to the mag latch. From there, a 300 WSM round went from mag to chamber in my one try. I didn't seat it or try again due to safety.

I'll test it at the range, but it's promising. One for one. I didn't see if it push fed or controlled fed, and since I didn't seat the round in the chamber, I couldn't feel it either.

My factory 300 WSM internal mag is extremely unreliable. Actually, when loaded with 3 rounds, it has never worked. With two, it has worked fewer than 5 times. I'm excited because I quickly decided 300 WSM performs great without heavy recoil. I'd like a mag I can load more than one round into.

ETA: I did stupid check myself as I bought this rifle used. The receiver appears unmodified and with the original finish all over. I checked AI AICS 5 round, AI AICS 10 round, AI AW, Magpul 5 round AICS, and Accurate Mag 10 rounder. None of those fit. Only the new MDT with the clear window fits.

Last edited:
And LRI will make just about anything work... They're finishing up an SPR in a Manners carbon T3 for me right now.

So is the inlet differnt? Can the dbm mcmillian be opened up for the tbm bottom metal?
The inlet is slightly different but it will work.

I went the cheap route, so there is two small gaps near the mag release button, but they don’t bother me.

They could be filled in but I didn’t want to paint or cerakote the stock quite yet.
image.jpg