• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Army M24 Build Thread

Re: Army M24 Build Thread

That front sight base in Brownells does indeed look similar to the one Remington made in house and the genuine Redfield base but you ordered one too high. The proper height is.175 not .275.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: red6actual</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On the sling swivel issue;

I have an M24 SWS circa 2006, direct from Remington as a complete system, sling swivels are standard Uncle Mikes save that they are grey parked, even the extra one in the D kit is standard Uncle Mikes. </div></div>

Thx R6A

Are yours identical to the one pictured above on the far left?

Hi Yustax,

You mentioned going through Stocky's rather than waiting 6 months. I think it sucks too but I called Stocky's and they said the wait for them is six months as well. Now I only tried Brownells, Midway, and Stockys(all a long wait) but maybe there's a slim chance another vender has one in stock or maybe ebay or gunbroker, but I also called HS and they said they are back ordered on making new stocks for six months, so I take that as meaning all the retailers will be backordered the same. We can all hope that maybe turnaround time is quicker than quoted.

Do you already have a barrel in your posession or does your builder already have your barrel in stock? If not than the wait time for the barrel will be roughly the same as for the stock, so maybe it doesn't hurt to go ahead and order a stock if you have to also order a barrel. Most custom barrel makers can take anywhere from 4-6-8 months average maybe longer to fulfill a civilian single order.

Thanks all for the info on swivells! I accept than that those packed with M24s are Michaels. That being said I do like the lock on the other brand better. I don't like the Michaels because in the past I've stripped the plastic barrel knob-(I'm a "claud")-trying to turn it out too far. You don't want to un-screw it out further than just need be in order to push and rotate open.

EODsix,you mention Remington making front sight bases in-house, any chance these were actually slightly shorter in length than the original Redfield base? The hole spacing maybe being the same but the o/a length maybe (2/32" or 3/32") shorter? I believe the P&L base is slightly longer than the Redfield but the hole spacing is the same .562".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pre64WINmarksman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

EODsix,you mention Remington making front sight bases in-house, any chance these were actually slightly shorter in length than the original Redfield base? The hole spacing maybe being the same but the o/a length maybe (2/32" or 3/32") shorter? I believe the P&L base is slightly longer than the Redfield but the hole spacing is the same .562".
</div></div>

Hey I'm still out on the road till middle next week but I have pics at home of 3 different front sight bases side by side. I'll post them next week. The Redfield is among them and aside from some rounding, it's identical to the Remington.

Why don't you just purchase a genuine M24, instead of putting one together?

Cause the real deal cost near 7k, for the whole package, I dont know if more. The rifle alone is not sold.

The rifle is sold alone. I know because I bought one. All you need to do after that is buy the scope and the correct iron sight bases from OK Webber. Bam, you're done. And with no long wait for a build.

Edit: The rifle only can be had in both 7.62 and 300WM.

Well, building it is way less expensive. Gathering all parts, the rifle can go around 1700-2000 bucks.

Also factor in the price of a quality gunsmith and a long wait time (if that matters). There's a hide member currently selling his GAP built M24 in the For Sale section as well.

A question; is there any Leupold M3 model who has more than 10x zoom, but still looks like the M3 model?

10x fixed power on the issue scope m3/m3a. There's photos floating the web somewhere of variable power M3s on M24s but I think the high setting is still 10x on those. A different model Leupy would be needed to go above 10x.

The advantage of getting an actual Remington is well its an Actual Remington rather than a clone. There's a possible wait as well from Remington but probably still shorter than the custom build route. I used to own a police rifle in 308, I bought it in 99' and had to wait 4 months back-order for it even back than.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Yustax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A question; is there any Leupold M3 model who has more than 10x zoom, but still looks like the M3 model? </div></div>

Can you say much zoom the scope had? 12, 16x?

Also...this scope:

Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x40mm Long Range M3

Looks the same as the M3 but it's cheaper. How come? Seems like a Vari-X model with the M3 scope turrets.

I consider it in topic; if that scope is more or less the same as the M3 and cheaper, well, I could buy it.

Another question. Im looking for a Leupold that looks like the M3 MK4 but has at least 16x zoom, and I can just buy the M3 turrets to make it a look alike like the MK4 M3.

Nope, an M3 is an M3 no matter the vintage. They are 10x fixed and that's that. The new M3 variables are a completely different animal. M1s can be had in 16x but that's a completely different animal too. No turret can be put on another scope to make it look like an M3. That's that.

Ok, then I'll go for the MK4 M3, found a good one for 700, used. But in good condition. Now I know that this is now offtopic. But I have searched around the website and I havent found none.

Is there anyone I can contact to boost the zoom from 10 to 16,24,32?

Read the thread, lots of good info.
If one wanted to replace the bottom metal on an M24 with a DBM setup, would the Sunny Hill "Drop Long Action" work?
It says the mag box from an ADL is supposed to fit...I'm kinda confused (not hard to do).
I would like to have a DBM setup.

Great thread, I never knew there were so many variations and such with the M24. Also, has anyone ever fixed the LOP adjustment mechanism without replacing the entire stock? It would be nice to avoid purchasing an entire new stock. I haven't called HS Precision, just wondering if anyone knew off of the top of their heads.
THanks guys

As promised, here is my post on the front sight bases. The three photos show the Redfield (Stock #723001) Olympic/International #63 and #64 .175" high(.910" long) Globe Front Attaching Base ON THE LEFT. The other two are examples of the front bases made in-house at the Remington Custom shop for the M24 and 40x rifles. There are slight differences in all three but if you can't find the Remington bases then the Redfield base is so close only you're hairdresser will know the difference. Of course, you'll have to put a black manganese phosphate finish on the Redfield base since it's shiny blue.

DSC00956.jpg

DSC00955.jpg

DSC00957.jpg

I have a front sight base with the letter "A" stamped on one of the ends. Hasnt been removed to see if any additional markings are underneath. Can you ID whose manufacture that one could be?

In addition to Lockandloaded's post on the EMA/ARD, I'd like to add the earlier EMA/ARD. Produced by Tennebraex Corp, it is a honeycomb only device, no glass. Seen here on top, it alone is as long as the newer version. It also has two sets of threads, one for direct connection to the M3A scope and the larger one for attachment to the EMA. NSN for this item is 6650-01-456-6515. If you're curious about the finish in these pics, don't worry. That's baby powder I used to make the engraving pop out. The finish is identical to the M3A/M3 scope.
ARD 1 1.jpg

ARD 2 2.jpg

ARD 3 3.jpg

IMG_0633.jpg

IMG_0632.jpg

IMG_0629.jpg

Attachments

• ARD 1.jpg
    ARD 1.jpg
    675.8 KB · Views: 31
  • ARD 2.jpg
    ARD 2.jpg
    562.3 KB · Views: 40
  • ARD 3.jpg
    ARD 3.jpg
    438.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lockedandloaded</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a front sight base with the letter "A" stamped on one of the ends. Hasnt been removed to see if any additional markings are underneath. Can you ID whose manufacture that one could be? </div></div>

I couldn't tell you about that. A friend of mine has a rear iron sight base that has a T stamped on one end too. He may post a pic of that later. He figures that it was stamped when it was refinished. It's is Rem-Toughed over a zinc phosphate which is typical of Remington's earlier runs before they went strictly to the black manganese phosphate on the rear base. Rem-Tough chipped too easy on this part.

I have a Leupold Mark 4, one piece, 20 MOA base for a Remington 700 long action for sale. It was used lightly, has no marks on it. Comes in original package, has both 6/48 & 8/40 screws, $90 shipped to you

Thanks,
Matt

DFOOSKING, Tennebraex manufactures ARD's for scopes, binoculars, spotters, etc.

Yours has a lock ring in the middle. Can the front section be unscrewed?

Honey Badger dont care....

Where can one buy the ard pictured at the top of this page. Only thing is I need it to fit on a leupold m3

Both these EMA/ARDs fit both the M3A and the M3. Both are periodically available on eBay, AR15.com, Sturmgewehr.com or here on Sniper's Hide, you just have to catch them when they become available.

ARD 1 1.jpg

EMA 1 1.jpg
EMA 2 2.jpg

Last edited:

6sc7zn.jpg

Israeli Defense Forces M24 outfitted with specialized muzzle attachment. 396 rifles were sold to Israel in 97/98.

voxys9.jpg

Melted IDF M24 systems equipped with Raptor 6X night scopes.

Flickr_-_Israel_Defense_Forces_-_Female_Soldier_Aiming_her_Weapon.jpg

We've covered the ARD and the EMA/ARD for the business end of the M3A/M3 scope but let's not forget an accessory for use on the eyepiece side of the scope. The Polarized Filter from Tenebraex Corporation. It is made almost entirely of rubber and may be used in place of the Butler Creek flip up scope cap. I don't do it but it can be done. Used for shooting into a highly glared areas like windows and windshields, the shooter need only to rotate the bezel of the filter to "polarize" the glare out. The filter also darkens the view much like a neutral density filter would on a camera so if you don't need to use the polarizer you can unsnap it and place it out of the way. There is no NSN for this part, the M24 TM change 8 provides the contact information that the supply clerk may use to "local purchase" the filter.
Polarizer 1.jpg

Polarizer 2.jpg

IMG_0635.jpg

IMG_0636.jpg

IMG_0637.jpg

Last edited:

RSA_01_2000_large.jpg

This is a good information source on the early development of the M24SWS.

Copies can be ordered from their website: http://www.remingtonsociety.com/

Other back issue magazines include: 1999 No.1 1903-A4 Sniper Rifle, and 1999 No.2 Marine M40 Sniper Rifles

Problems with the M24-

-Storing the rifle cocked weakens the fp spring. A spare is included with the deployment kit

-Early L&S Ultra M3a scopes had "mushy" dial detents due to thicker grease and seals used for waterproofing. Sometimes the feel improved with use. Premier Reticles once offered a dual-spring detent pin assembly as an upgrade to the factory single-spring, but not authorized for issue weapons

-Overtightening the adjustment dial set-screws can "dimple" the shafts, preventing precise index settings on future re-zeros

-Trigger pull adjustment screw can vibrate loose if rotated too far, allowing it to fall out along with the spring. This wont disable the trigger, it still operates at the minimum pull-weight. Spare screw is included with deployment kit, but not the spring

-Extractor Spring is field replaceable, but no spare is included with kit

-Ruptured case extractor tool is not included with kit

-Surface of forestock between 2 front swivel studs is prone to cracking if bipod is overtightened

-Scope rings require positioning into either of 2 sets of mounting slots, not the outtermost or innermost slots. Scope ring mount nuts should be on left side of receiver

-When reassembling magazine spring, longer leg attaches to follower, shorter leg onto floorplate. Tall lip of follower goea to the right hand side.

-Loading cartridges requires pushing them fully to the rear of magazine. This prevents the follower from tipping-off the front end, causing the bolt to overide and jam. This is known as "stemming the cartridge"

-Front/rear action screws may extend into bolt races if overtightened. Loosen screws to clear malfunction. Their lengths are different

-If trigger fails to fire after remedial action dril, a binding/fouled sear is indicated. Flushing it out with water/CLP may clear condition

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EODsix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While we're on the topic of Floor Metal, I'll add this upgrade. Badger Ordnance makes the Army issue detachable box magazine floor metal. THIS IS NOT the DBM floor metal used on the M40A3 or A5 and is NOT the floor metal used on the M24 mod for .300 Win Mag or .338 Lapua. This is SPECICALLY designed for the M24 and the PST-024 HS stock to be a drop in, no modification upgrade for the M24. It works perfectly. This is the Badger M5 DBM M24 Sniper Rifle Drop In Triggerguard P/N 306-84. It comes with one 5 round straight stack magazine. Accuracy International makes the magazine and it is called the AE MkI .308 Winchester 5rd Magazine. No other will fit.
</div></div>

Brownells Special Order, not listed on website

$506.00
$406.00 with mil discount
unknown lead time
Or

$345 plus $12 shipping, ordered direct and shipped asap from Badger.

just an FYI

The M24A2 floor metal and mags can be had from US Tactical Supply as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: red6actual</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The M24A2 floor metal and mags can be had from US Tactical Supply as well.

</div></div>

True that you can get the "M5 Trigger Guard, M24 SWS Drop-In Conversion System, for Issue M24s Only" from US Tactical's website but do not be mislead when ordering extra magazines. The kit comes with only one AE Mk1 .308 Magazine. US Tactical Supply DOES NOT have the correct magazine only for this conversion listed on their site, only ones for the .300 and .338 conversions. They can however obtain the Accuracy International AE Mk1 .308 magazines but you must tell them that and even then they may be confused. Be specific with them.

Just wanted to say thanks to all the contributors on this post-very,very informative.

One last question regarding the bottom metal, 510 contoured vs 514 non-contoured bow. Is it absolute that the 510 was never used in any vintage M24s?

I ask because the M24 pictured in the Badger Ordnance 2008 Sniper Rifle calendar appears to use a 510 floor metal. Okay, and maybe I already used a 510 metal when I built my clone in the 90's. But the calander gun looks like a real one as it is pictured complete with deployment kit, flash hider etc...

I also have an original M24 manual from Remington ( not the reprint from Paladin Press) and although the illustrations are line drawings not photographs, the rear of the triggerguard does appear thin and contoured.

Sounds like I may just have to just buck up and get the 514 T/G but any information is appreciated.

Refer back to pages 10 and 11 on the posts of the trigger guards. Good pics of both the Dakota and Sunny Hill floor plates. Not contoured. I can't speak to model numbers. I've had M24s with both Dakota and Sunny Hill floor plates and there is nothing on the parts to ID them as 514. Sunny Hill's web site says their 514 is the standard LA military but shows no pictures. Describes it as a non-contoured trigger bow.

Just specualtion on my part which is never good to go by but my guess is the thicker-uncontuerd model 514 has always been the bottom metal used for all M24s past and present. I say this because the model 510 is really thin in the back. Its elegant and would look good on a mountain rifle but my guess is the heavier one was chosen from the get-go to use on the m24s.

I'm still confused myself, however I probably will try and sell my #510 unless I decide to keep it for a futue elk rifle build.

Thanks for the pic!

Just as I suspected. All three of these are slightly shorter than my .375 tall redfield base. I have the correct height P&L base as well and I probably will shorten it and modify it to look like one of the Remington-made bases. The hole spacing is the same but the P&L is much longer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EODsix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As promised, here is my post on the front sight bases. The three photos show the Redfield (Stock #723001) Olympic/International #63 and #64 .175" high(.910" long) Globe Front Attaching Base ON THE LEFT. The other two are examples of the front bases made in-house at the Remington Custom shop for the M24 and 40x rifles. There are slight differences in all three but if you can't find the Remington bases then the Redfield base is so close only you're hairdresser will know the difference. Of course, you'll have to put a black manganese phosphate finish on the Redfield base since it's shiny blue.

DSC00956.jpg

DSC00955.jpg

DSC00957.jpg
</div></div>

Pre64WIN,

I can close this floor metal issue for you, if the 510 has a rounded outside contour and thin trigger bow it is not the correct M24 metal and was not used.

I had a SA Dakota as you describe many years ago and it was contoured like something you would see on a Weatherby and I imagine the 510 you have is the same.

Post a picture of that 510 for comparison if you will?

The original Dakota and the current Sunny Hill do not have any outside countouring, just a straight thick strap wrapping around the trigger.
The only difference between the Dakota and Sunny Hill are the width of the trigger bow, the current Sunny Hill is a bit wider.

Bought this GAP M24 from trobertson5-0.
Mods planned are a 20 MOA mars rail (maybe...not sure yet) and the Badger DBM. Badge DBM is on the way.
Scope is Mk4 TMR Illum 3.5-10x40 w/ M2 knobs and M118LR BDC (for aesthetics, only)
Can't wait to get that DBM setup on.

Thanks again, TJ, and thanks to you guys on this thread...!!!

M241.jpg

M242.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MD2Colo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would cut my nuts off for an AE Mk I 10 round mag </div></div>

With the design that Badger used on the M24 DBM floormetal, the magazine must be single stacked and that would make a 10 rounder as long, if not more so, than a M14 or M110. That would be rather awkward on the M24 furniture. I find the 5 rounder is somewhat awkward as it is.

That being said though, if Badger Ordnance had used the design they used on the M40A3/A5 they could have used a double stack magazine and it wouldn't have been so bad. The short action version has a 5 and 10rd magazine. The .300 Win Mag and .338 Lapua long action floor metals also use double stack magazines.

The .300 Win Mag floor metal could probably be used but the magazine follower wouldn't be quite right AND you would propagate the problem the M24 already has in that you're putting short rounds into a long action magazine.