• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Army M24 Build Thread

Re: Army M24 Build Thread

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jayjayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that's what they say 762, dont have one yet but been by the shop and saw em, savin some pennies </div></div>
Thanks, I'll be saving some too.

Desertrat I think part of the confusion is that if you look at the current Mk 4 base it is a fully railed system. The older, original Mk 4 base was more like a traditional one piece base with only the narrow strip running down the left side. I'll see if I have a better pic of it, or I can take the glass off and get a pic of just the base when I get home.

No help here dude. I don't know what the specs are. OK Weber might be able to give the techie stuff if you ask.

Desertrat, here are some pics of the base, as well as the markings.

mk4base.jpg

m24marking.jpg

usmarking.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trobertson5-0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And a few more of one I just bought
grin.gif

GAPm-24020.jpg

GAPm-24004.jpg

GAPm-24008.jpg

GAPm-24011.jpg

GAP built,should get here Friday!!!! </div></div>

Anymore info you can tell us about this rifle. Looks great!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762slinger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
m24marking.jpg

</div></div>

What is the measurement on the markings that say M24?

Is the barrel stamped with "7.62 NATO"? Are there any markings on the barrel?

Measurements are off compared to the spec version. All is centered on the "real" one. Not to be the party pooper, but it isn't quite right.
Check vs. this picture in top of thread:
M-24

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rhongman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the barrel stamped with "7.62 NATO"? Are there any markings on the barrel? </div></div>
It is marked 7.62 NATO. It does not have the Army proof marks/magnaflux marks on the right side of the barrel.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chad3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Measurements are off compared to the spec version. All is centered on the "real" one. Not to be the party pooper, but it isn't quite right.</div></div>
Don't worry about being a party pooper, I can live with it.
I wasn't really worried about having all the exact markings, I wanted the components.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC Grunt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trobertson5-0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And a few more of one I just bought
grin.gif

GAPm-24020.jpg

GAPm-24004.jpg

GAPm-24008.jpg

GAPm-24011.jpg

GAP built,should get here Friday!!!! </div></div>

Anymore info you can tell us about this rifle. Looks great! </div></div>

I'll be able to tell you more when it arrives Friday but,it got posted on the EE of arfcom a few nights ago and I clicked on it just to look. The price for the whole setup was under what GAP would charge for just the rifle and it has only 45 rounds down the pipe. Spec built M24 from GAP. The package includes the rifle,scope,irons,bipod,and pelican case with manuals......$3450 shipped
smile.gif

I have been saving my pennies to build a M24 to hang above the fireplace next to all my "I love me" stuff from the Army and I wasn't quite there but a wonderfully understanding wife agreed to allow me to take the rest out of savings.

I promise a full picture full post when she arrives,and a range report shortly thereafter!(I'm a little bit excited,if you couldn't tell) TJR

Gents, I have to say that your M24 are beautiful rifles. I have a SPS T custom that Im either going to turn into a M24 or M40A1 mock up. I'll be running a NF scope though. But the barrel will be correct, as close as I can get it.

The one thing I do want to get is the correct PALMA sights as I used to be a PALMA shooter here inaustralia before I went to shoot service rifle (SMLE and Finn M39) and F-Class. Id like to have them so I can shoot both. My PALMA rifle isnt as nice as the M24 though.

Id like to say this, accuracy is not everything, you want the rifle to be relaibel and durable aswell. just look at the AI AW rifles and why they are used buy a ton of Military sniper units. They arn't as accurate a full custom build but for sure they would be harder to break and last longer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickoz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gents, I have to say that your M24 are beautiful rifles. I have a SPS T custom that Im either going to turn into a M24 or M40A1 mock up. I'll be running a NF scope though. But the barrel will be correct, as close as I can get it.</div></div>
Quick-
The M24 is a long action, and the barrel is a much thicker profile. You would be closer to an M40 than an M24 with the SPS. They also both have 24" barrels, versus 20" with the SPS T.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The one thing I do want to get is the correct PALMA sights as I used to be a PALMA shooter here inaustralia before I went to shoot service rifle (SMLE and Finn M39) and F-Class. Id like to have them so I can shoot both. My PALMA rifle isnt as nice as the M24 though.</div></div>
You can on occasion find the sights on Ebay. I've seen them there a time or two.

I don't know if its been mentioned, but Mike Rock of Rock Creek barrels, claims that he produced the first 300ish barrels for remington for the M24. After that Remington produced their own. Both were/are 5r rifling. Don't take my word for it though, call Mike and he'll tell you. So, if this is true, if there's an M24 in service that was one of the first 300 and it has not been rebuilt, then there's a good chance that it has a Rock barrel on it. Again, I may have misinformation, if there's anyone out there that has first-hand knowledge, please correct me.

Hey 762slinger, i'm curious and I don't know if you mentioned it already, but who built your gun?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jb7032</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know if its been mentioned, but Mike Rock of Rock Creek barrels, claims that he produced the first 300ish barrels for remington for the M24. After that Remington produced their own. Both were/are 5r rifling. Don't take my word for it though, call Mike and he'll tell you. So, if this is true, if there's an M24 in service that was one of the first 300 and it has not been rebuilt, then there's a good chance that it has a Rock barrel on it. Again, I may have misinformation, if there's anyone out there that has first-hand knowledge, please correct me. </div></div>
That's why I had a Mike Rock barrel put on it. The factory barrels are very good, but I wanted the original barrel.
Mine was built by Mike Lau of TBA.

762, I know its a SA, ill only make up a Mock up really. I will be getting a 24" M24/M40 Contour barrel with 5R rifling. I May build a full on clone one day.

OK, just wanted to make sure you knew.
You'll at least avoid the feeding issue that can happen with a LA.

762, are you also on 700rifle.com??? I think ive seen your rifles before.

Also, what bottom metal are used on the Issued M24 rifles?? I have the standard Rem/HS one on my HS stock and it doesnt feed that well. Its quite annoying really. Any idea's??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickoz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">762, are you also on 700rifle.com??? I think ive seen your rifles before.</div></div>
Yes. My username there and on most other boards is m24shooter. I think I used to have that username here as well, but I forgot my password and couldn't remember it. I ended up just making a new account.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, what bottom metal are used on the Issued M24 rifles?? </div></div>
I don't remember exactly who made the original bottom metal. I'll have to go look it up.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the standard Rem/HS one on my HS stock and it doesnt feed that well. Its quite annoying really. Any idea's?? </div></div>
I would polish the sides of the follower, possibly the interior of the magazine box, and replace the magazine spring. I would actually start with the mag spring as that has fixed pretty much any feeding problem I have had.
How exactly is yours not feeding properly?

Not branging but those on CMP are for .22 I have the front and rear with all inserts not sure if i'm gonna save for a project or what because GAP is working on my 308 and my daughters 243

[quote/] I would polish the sides of the follower, possibly the interior of the magazine box, and replace the magazine spring. I would actually start with the mag spring as that has fixed pretty much any feeding problem I have had.
How exactly is yours not feeding properly? [/quote]

Quite often, the bolt will just slide right over the rounds even when I have tryed to load them correctly. Either that or it Jam's. I might try and get a new mag spring, I have a spare in my spares kit, I'll install that and see how it goes. Cheers. Also, when you say polish the sides of the follower, thats the part that the rounds sit on when in the mag isnt it?? what part exactly should I polish, I have the old OEM Milled style, I have a stamped one and used to use that but the Milled seemed stronger to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickoz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Quite often, the bolt will just slide right over the rounds even when I have tryed to load them correctly. Either that or it Jam's. I might try and get a new mag spring, I have a spare in my spares kit, I'll install that and see how it goes. Cheers.</div></div>
Ok, that's exactly what mine does when the mag spring is starting go/has gone. Try replacing that first and see if it clears up.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, when you say polish the sides of the follower, thats the part that the rounds sit on when in the mag isnt it?? what part exactly should I polish, I have the old OEM Milled style, I have a stamped one and used to use that but the Milled seemed stronger to me. </div></div>
Yes, that is the follower. I polish the sides of the follower that come into contact with the sides of the magazine wall. You may see some wear/contact points on the follower and in the magazine box. Just lightly polish those.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And they were very expensive! </div></div>

Are you talking about the palma sight? Actually the CMP's price is pretty fair, however I don't know what condition they're in. I bought a set from Champions Choice a few years ago for $225 new.

When I get a chance I'll post a full build spec for the original M24's. I'll also note the recent changes and the barrel contour for the OPS can. Nice to see somebody cares about this stick.

762 Cheers for the help mate. Ive replaced the Mag spring and will see how that goes and may go and polish the follower in a bit.

Ok, I can get rear sights pretty easy for my rifle. What kinda of rear sight base was used and also, the pront sights, the base on that, where can one get that and the front sight tunnel to fit?? Doesnt have to be exact but would be nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m24armorer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I get a chance I'll post a full build spec for the original M24's. I'll also note the recent changes and the barrel contour for the OPS can. Nice to see somebody cares about this stick.</div></div>

Honestly, the M40 series of rifles has been done over an over, without end. Not saying its bad or anything. There is something about the M24 that that attracts attention. But Mcmillan did get it right, they are the most copied stock in the world.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m24armorer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I get a chance I'll post a full build spec for the original M24's. I'll also note the recent changes and the barrel contour for the OPS can. Nice to see somebody cares about this stick.</div></div>

The one our guys had in Iraq had an end mount can on it. I want to say it was AAC but I'm not sure of that. I do know that it wasn't the OPS INC, because when we got back the armors rebarreled it and traded the can's for OPS INC. Maybe someone else can chime in on that. Nothing like more options for a build right

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m24armorer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I get a chance I'll post a full build spec for the original M24's. I'll also note the recent changes and the barrel contour for the OPS can. Nice to see somebody cares about this stick. </div></div>

That would be great info for my build,thanks.

I read somewhere that Shillen bbls President thinks HS stocks are too flexible in the forend and this screws with harmonics.
I never have heard of this being an issue for any single Army shooter and their rifles, but it seems that a lot of shots are off the bipod and maybe the bipod does away with the stock flexing. Have anyone owning an hs stock have issues with stock flex? I recently sold a GAP M24 clone and I also have shot the sendero, both dang accurate and no percievable stock flex harmonic issues that I could tell. There is a growing culture of HS stock bashing and we all would be better off being objective about these things. Yes, McMillan is probably a better stock but they are more expensive. I don't believe the difference between HS and MCM is as incredibly disparaging as some would have you believe. Bottome line is HS seems to me to be a great stock, sometimes skim bedding is required but not in every case. They are a very succesfull stock for expanding the availability of precion rifles across the board! With work they'll shoot lights out like any other. I'd say its probably easier to make a MCM shoot well. HS has had qual control issues in the past but are better now-no more loose bedding blocks and I hope barrel channels are straiter now. One thing I don't like about them is how the swivel studs are put in. The Witchita swivels in a MCM are a much stronger setup. For the weight of a tactical rifle, Uncle Mikes swivels are not strong enough in my belief and the thin outer shell of the HS can't hold the studs that well.

Pre 64 you do know the studs are not threaded into the shell? But in fact are threaded into the aluminum chassis molded into the stock.

I think I might of cought some illness from one of these damn marines in here. I'm prior Army, got my tab, well for some sick reason, I am starting to find the M40s more estecticly (sp) pleasing over the M24. Please don't club me to death, but I think they are growing on me.

I like the M40A1, the M40A3 just doesnt look as nice but the M24 is a nice, simple functional SWS. I like both and its a constant challenger to which one I turn my rifle into.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For me, though, I stick with whats familiar. I rock the 24, have a beretta 92, have an AR with an EOTech. Its what im used to and comfortable with.</div></div>

Yeah, baby! You only need to be good with one firearm to be deadly. I'm in the same school of thought. It's also easier on the bank account.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I might of cought some illness from one of these damn marines in here. I'm prior Army, got my tab, well for some sick reason, I am starting to find the M40s more estecticly (sp) pleasing over the M24. Please don't club me to death, but I think they are growing on me. </div></div>

I agree, the McMillan HTG is about as great as it greats aesthetically, the montecarlo style stocks are always great looking hunting stocks. The HS pro series M24 stock is based on one of the heavier Remington 40xb stocks. In Peter Senich's book "One Round War" it shows a 40xb rifle that was considered as a possible replacement for the M40 in the '70s(before Marines choose McMillan stocked M40A1), the stock is pretty much exactly like the M24 stock except for being laminated wood and not have adj buttplate(and being short action of course). B&C also made a sunthectic of it for Remy in the '80s(looked just like the later PSS stock from HS). That 40xb stock, M24 and the similar Winchester 54C target rimfire stock are very good looking stocks as well IMHO. The ergonomics of the HS pro series to me is superior to that of the McBros M40A1 stock. I don't care for the adjustable but plate, but the palm swell and the round forend are really comfortable to shoot-like sitting in a damn lazy boy recliner! The forend really fits the hand like no other stock so there's zero hand fatigue. It sits on a bag or other soft rest just as nicely too.
The HTG is a really strong stock and also does well from a shooting bag, but IMO it doesn't fit the hand or the cross-arm shooting style as good as the fuller HS m24 stock. Both are bad ass looking but HTG/M40A1 has slightly better looks. As for McMillan stocks, I'm torn between the A1/HTG and the A3 as to which is my favorite McMillan. The A4 stock as used by the M40A3-A5 is too baulky.

Thanks DMG308 for the clarification on the swivel studs. I still prefer a more classic integral swivel and stud but knowing the Mikes QD is in the aluminum is reassuring. I saw an old Remy PSS with a stud that was loose but if it's threaded into the chassis, it aint pulling out under weight. It was just not keeped tight, Lock tight would've keeped it threaded tight in the metal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: popeye089</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not branging but those on CMP are for .22 I have the front and rear with all inserts not sure if i'm gonna save for a project or what because GAP is working on my 308 and my daughters 243</div></div>

is there a difference? I mean the redfield palma is the model so I dont understand when it is listed as the .22, which it does say on the CMP sight. Can anyone clarify if there is a diff cause as far as I know they are one in the same, correct me if I'm wrong

At least at the beginning, you could not buy the sights unless they have you on record for buying one of the .22s.
Chad

not really sure if there is a difference but the model i have clearly states high power caliber so maybe? maybe not. I'll pot pics in a couple days sorry I'm away doing honey do, know what I mean

mine doesnt say either, just redfield palma, and front says international olympic

Here are the pics. It's the riticle packaging that says big bore, not sure if the CMP stuff comes with these, I scored the whole package at a gun store off an old guy here in KS that was also selling old 6mm rifles, my front site also says international the rear is mint also, he said he never used them and by the looks of the packaging and their wear (absolutely none) I believe him. I also included a pic of a flash supressor that uses the front site base for mounting on the M24. I think my biggest score is the reticles, because those are missing alot in the civilian world and especially in the Army. These are all correct and I know people on this thread can also vouch for that
IMGP5108.jpg

IMGP5113.jpg

IMGP5110.jpg

IMGP5111.jpg

IMGP5119.jpg

Popeye, where can I get one of those flash suppressors? I tried Googling, but nothing.

Here's 2 different M24's, close-up of the roll markings. I wanted (still do) an M24 and did tons of research on building a clone. In the end I put the project on the shelf and will probably just pony up and buy a real one. Have other things to spend money on first though.

M24a.jpg

M24b.jpg

wm_961669-1.jpg

wm_961670.jpg

I borrowed one from work and had an uncle machinist replicate it, here's mine, he did a great job. I looked for a while, I don't think there's any place that sells them, remington makes them for military M24 contracts, dont even know if you can get one from them with their M24 package, not sure though

M24-flash.jpg