• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Army M24 Build Thread

My M24.
Holds half MOA all day with FGMM 168gr.
Bout to sell it and gamble on a GAP in 6.5 though. I never thought I'd be moving away from 308, but here I am.

Attachments

• m24.jpg
    m24.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 588
Reactions: saddler
I own a 6.5 and I'm still not sure what the fascination with 6.5 Creedmoor. I was shooting with a service team when they explored all of the 6.5 options around 2008. It duplicates .260 Remington, 6.5 Swedish and a host of other 6.5ish calibers from around the world all with a shiny new gun and slick advertising. Because it is new, it will shoot longer, newer bullet designs and there is not going to be a lot of rifles out there with too slow of a twist to disappoint shooters.

To me, it is an okay caliber that benefits from excellent marketing and the shiny object fixation of people who have to have the next newest thing. I wouldn't sell my M24 for one. With Remington Premier Match ammo, Federal GMM and the occasional decent lot of M118LR , my M24R easily shoots 1/2moa.

Reactions: Bakwa
Quick question, how does the M24R compare to the SPS level 700s? I assume it's tighter and smoother, right?

Quick question, how does the M24R compare to the SPS level 700s? I assume it's tighter and smoother, right?
Not sure how to answer this, hard to compare an M24 308 long action that was manufactured in its own facility to a mass produced 700 sps. Personally the tolerances on mine seem to be every bit as good if not better than some of the custom shop 40x's I've had over the years.

• Haha
Reactions: 6.5 GUY
Not sure how to answer this, hard to compare an M24 308 long action that was manufactured in its own facility to a mass produced 700 sps. Personally the tolerances on mine seem to be every bit as good if not better than some of the custom shop 40x's I've had over the years.

Good to know. Might get around to picking one up this year.

I own both a 40X and an M24R, they are comparable. The 40 is an XBKS, kevlar stocked repeater, 27.25" bbl and is currently in an XLR chassis set-up. It is a short action and the M24 is a long action and there isn't a whole lot of difference and you would be hard pressed to notice your hand moved an additional 1/2 inch to chamber a round.

Both have exceptional triggers and both shoot exceptional groups, the 40X came with a .528" five shot test target and I have equaled it with the M24 and the same Remington Premier ammunition. Barrel twist rates are slightly different.

The Custom shop was easy to deal with and I ordered it set at a specific trigger weight with everything Duracoated black or a slate grey and specified the ammunition and bullet weights I'd be shooting. It took about four months to deliver the gun. It is lighter than the M24 even with more scope. I'd have to check my record book but my 40X has well over 2,500 rounds thru it now and still holds under 1 MOA.

Reactions: mjh30
Gents, I’m not an m24 guy but I’m hoping some of the subject matter experts here can help me. I recently had a rifle built that uses a Dakota LA bdl floor plate which I understand was used or can be used in an M24 build. Long story short the rifle doesn’t work. That is an issue unto itself that centers around the internal magazine. I am really trying to not ship it back to the builder because of how this all went down. Can anyone here tell me (I realize what I am asking) if there is a drop in dbm system that would fit into the inlet for my Dakota bdl system? I know it is a custom inlet on a custom rifle but I’m asking anyway.

Thanks in advance.

Cavjock07, the standard Dakota long action bdl floor plate is not the same as the contract bdl that Dakota and Sunnyhill provided for the M24 program.

Northeastgunfighter, is that what you were quoted for the small deployment kit? The gb auction includes the Hardigg, d-kit, optics case, etc.

Northeastgunfighter, is that what you were quoted for the small deployment kit? The gb auction includes the Hardigg, d-kit, optics case, etc.
Thats what i was told. Remington no longer makes the small D-kit i guess. So mine was brand new, special order..that being said I had an industry contact who i served with back in the day make the call for me. He placed an order for 5 or so of them. brand new, as in tooled and built within the past year.

I'm looking for a set of iron sight bases, preferably made by RPA... anybody know where I can find them??
Thanks!
DW

I own a 6.5 and I'm still not sure what the fascination with 6.5 Creedmoor. I was shooting with a service team when they explored all of the 6.5 options around 2008. It duplicates .260 Remington, 6.5 Swedish and a host of other 6.5ish calibers from around the world all with a shiny new gun and slick advertising. Because it is new, it will shoot longer, newer bullet designs and there is not going to be a lot of rifles out there with too slow of a twist to disappoint shooters.

To me, it is an okay caliber that benefits from excellent marketing and the shiny object fixation of people who have to have the next newest thing. I wouldn't sell my M24 for one. With Remington Premier Match ammo, Federal GMM and the occasional decent lot of M118LR , my M24R easily shoots 1/2moa.

I agree. But because of said marketing, for factory ammo, it's become almost as available as 308. 260 and 6.5x55 are objectively better, but unless you reload or just so happen to stack one of the few factory options that may work well in your rifle, you're SOL with respect to feeding your rig. It's for those reasons I'll personally take 6.5CM over 260 and 6.5x55. It also exceeds 308 in recoil impulse, BC, and SD enough so that it makes it a good "do all" kind of round as well. For those reasons, I've begun to slowly stock more match 6.5CM ammo than 308 ammo, and have begun to exchange out 308 rifles for 6.5CM rifles. In the end, I predict that all of my short action bolt guns will be 6.5CM.

I agree. But because of said marketing, for factory ammo, it's become almost as available as 308. 260 and 6.5x55 are objectively better, but unless you reload or just so happen to stack one of the few factory options that may work well in your rifle, you're SOL with respect to feeding your rig. It's for those reasons I'll personally take 6.5CM over 260 and 6.5x55. It also exceeds 308 in recoil impulse, BC, and SD enough so that it makes it a good "do all" kind of round as well. For those reasons, I've begun to slowly stock more match 6.5CM ammo than 308 ammo, and have begun to exchange out 308 rifles for 6.5CM rifles. In the end, I predict that all of my short action bolt guns will be 6.5CM.
I've done the same. I own an M24 and plan on keeping it as a historical piece. With it being the only military issued rifle released back to the public since korea.. its a great thing to have. And its only going up in price. That being said, I keep one .308 rifle just to shoot every now and then.

Gents, I’m not an m24 guy but I’m hoping some of the subject matter experts here can help me. I recently had a rifle built that uses a Dakota LA bdl floor plate which I understand was used or can be used in an M24 build. Long story short the rifle doesn’t work. That is an issue unto itself that centers around the internal magazine. I am really trying to not ship it back to the builder because of how this all went down. Can anyone here tell me (I realize what I am asking) if there is a drop in dbm system that would fit into the inlet for my Dakota bdl system? I know it is a custom inlet on a custom rifle but I’m asking anyway.

Thanks in advance.

Can you describe what the issue is in detail? What caliber is yours?

Hey guys, I’m looking to build an M24 replica.

I’ve seen the Remington 700 5R but can’t find in left bolt also I want a 1” bull barrel in .308.

What action is used for that 5R rifle or what action should I start with?

Once I have that then I’ll get a 20-24” 5R 1”bull barrel and the stock used for the Remington 700 5R.

Now on another note, I do have a savage 11 trophy hunter XP that I’d like to do an m24 replica on if I can. Just have hard time finding stocks because it’s a lefty. Shoots great as is and the accu trigger is superb. I have got a 5R bull barrel already in stainless in 24” and twist rate of 1:11.25. Just need a stock and to have the action trued then I’ll have a smith assemble it for me.

The exact look I’m going for is the attached picture.

Any advice or help on stocks and anything would be greatly appreciated.

After doing one of those two m24 replicas I plan on getting a 300 win mag and doing a similar build but with a more tactical stock with more of a pistol like grip.

Attachments

• CB78E48F-398F-46EE-A61D-9F3D57C7DAAB.png
    CB78E48F-398F-46EE-A61D-9F3D57C7DAAB.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 279
Hey guys, I’m looking to build an M24 replica.

I’ve seen the Remington 700 5R but can’t find in left bolt also I want a 1” bull barrel in .308.

What action is used for that 5R rifle or what action should I start with?

Once I have that then I’ll get a 20-24” 5R 1”bull barrel and the stock used for the Remington 700 5R.

Now on another note, I do have a savage 11 trophy hunter XP that I’d like to do an m24 replica on if I can. Just have hard time finding stocks because it’s a lefty. Shoots great as is and the accu trigger is superb. I have got a 5R bull barrel already in stainless in 24” and twist rate of 1:11.25. Just need a stock and to have the action trued then I’ll have a smith assemble it for me.

The exact look I’m going for is the attached picture.

Any advice or help on stocks and anything would be greatly appreciated.

After doing one of those two m24 replicas I plan on getting a 300 win mag and doing a similar build but with a more tactical stock with more of a pistol like grip.
Might as well just go buy an M24.

Well I like to build vs buy built sorta thing. But I also want a new.

But where can you purchase an actual m24 and what are the costs normally?

How can I tell if a rifle is a BDL action or not? I do have a my eye on the Remington 700 SPS but don’t know if a BDL action. Also trying to find just an action stainless or blued but non say if it’s a BDL or not.

JUSTAV3, you can find the odd M24r on Gunbroker and the odd retailer will still have new old stock production M24's in stock, 2000-3000 perhaps for the price.

Can anyone identify which hard case this version is for? Its different than the original one. Grey plastic, different liner, etc

Attachments

• m24.jpg
    m24.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 191
Reactions: sandwarrior
Can anyone identify which hard case this version is for? Its different than the original one. Grey plastic, different liner, etc
View attachment 7044162

Its just a generic Pelican case, comes in different colors, dont believe it was an issued item, something Pelican was marketing for the rifle presumably the civilian side.

Reactions: lockedandloaded
Some photos of my clone build, while all the accessories are legit the gun itself is a build as close as I could get, including a 5R 1-11.25” Krieger and a legit M24 trigger and floorplate.Also have a complete deployment kit, flash hider and Redfield sights plus the optional MARS rail and Badger DBM for the M24A2. The cheek riser is kydex wrapped in OD 100 mph tape to look like the field expedient ones but be removable.

Remington still makes and sells the complete kit, it is not cheap, close to $8K if I recall. A good clone is about the same price as an actual original.
Yeah as much as I loved my M24 I’d never in a million years pay $8K for a kit. It ain’t worth it unless you are a hardcore collector. Great rifle great scope overall great kit, but $8K great not a fucking chance ?.

http://www.gaprecision.net/us-army-m-24.html $3950 for just the gun, $1200 for the scope, $150 rings, $300 iron sights, $400 for the spares kit, $125 for the Harris bipod, no idea for a case and $75 bucks for a sling. You get pretty close trying to do it alone, who knows, maybe Remington has dealer pricing.

I have an M24R kit that I got from Remington when they were selling them, it had everything but the irons and I had a set anyway. The entire thing shipped to my FFL was $300 bucks cheaper than just a rifle from GA Precision and shoots just as good.

http://www.gaprecision.net/us-army-m-24.html $3950 for just the gun, $1200 for the scope, $150 rings, $300 iron sights, $400 for the spares kit, $125 for the Harris bipod, no idea for a case and $75 bucks for a sling. You get pretty close trying to do it alone, who knows, maybe Remington has dealer pricing.
I have an M24R kit that I got from Remington when they were selling them, it had everything but the irons and I had a set anyway. The entire thing shipped to my FFL was $300 bucks cheaper than just a rifle from GA Precision and shoots just as good.
Yeah I was in the process of making my order on one of those back in 2012, but my son fell ill with cancer, so I missed out on that whole deal. He’s fully recovered and a healthy 8 year old now. Beats a good deal on a rifle anyday.

800 for the deployment kit, 900 plus for the Hardigg

Its just a generic Pelican case, comes in different colors, dont believe it was an issued item, something Pelican was marketing for the rifle presumably the civilian side.

It's definitely made by Hardigg with the pressure release valve. Same company that makes the original issued case. This one is smaller, not as deep, no foam cutouts for the spare parts/optics cases.

Some speculation that Remington used these to ship M24's back to the units after warranty repairs if they received the rifle without the original coffin case.

Some photos of my clone build, while all the accessories are legit the gun itself is a build as close as I could get, including a 5R 1-11.25” Krieger and a legit M24 trigger and floorplate.Also have a complete deployment kit, flash hider and Redfield sights plus the optional MARS rail and Badger DBM for the M24A2. The cheek riser is kydex wrapped in OD 100 mph tape to look like the field expedient ones but be removable.

View attachment 7044881View attachment 7044880View attachment 7044879View attachment 7044882View attachment 7044883

Awesome build out!

Have you ever fired it with either the fh/laser filter/Tennabrex attached? Curious if you recorded any changes to zero with those?

Thanks! It wouldn’t have been possible without all the documentation people put up on the old site way back before the refurb kits became available.

The sight picture is darker with the EMA laser filter, but I haven’t checked for a zero change, my recollection is that it was nil after first installing it. I haven’t tried it with both the EMA and the Killflash on at the same time. I have shot it lots with just the EMA attached.

I temporarily put the Killflash on as well and the sight picture got pretty dark. And no I am not in any imminent peril of getting hit with a laser at my local range, but I wanted to spin the thing on and shoot with it. I do the same thing in service rifle and shot with the issue EMA on my Acog RCO-just felt like it!

D46DDC96-6BBB-49AA-8E81-7D4ADEDDC732.jpeg

As for the flash hider, well......I am a dumbass and despite all the other attention to detail, including 5R rifling and twist rate, I used an HV profile which finishes at .960” at the muzzle, not .920-940”. End result is the flash hider won’t fit until I get the barrel re-profiled and re cerracoated. Doh! The thing shoots so well that I am hesitant to screw around with the barreled action now.

That’s an awesome set up, love the ammo pouches. Are they a retro use of something older by Big Army, or are they M24 specific?

Funny story on the polarizer. Tenabrex runs a tight ship when the package says “LEO only”. They are owned by ATI, a Canadian company in Nova Scotia I think. I try to buy one up here, as an LEO but in full disclosure I tell them up front it’s for a personal rifle, not a duty gun. Their answer, and no sense of entitlement when I say this, “sorry bro, departmental purchases only” Lucky I found a private sale on the classifieds up here. Hey I get it, rules are rules it’s all good.

It's definitely made by Hardigg with the pressure release valve. Same company that makes the original issued case. This one is smaller, not as deep, no foam cutouts for the spare parts/optics cases.

Some speculation that Remington used these to ship M24's back to the units after warranty repairs if they received the rifle without the original coffin case.
Yup you are correct, same pattern as thScreenshot_20190320-131949_Chrome.jpge pellys

Hello I posted a M24 starters kit for sale anyone looking to get starred on a M24 clone stock, trigger guard, flash hider and MRT sling ,geoff3
That's a great start to an M24!
I need to do that recoil pad change, do you happen to remember any details of what pad you order for that conversion?
Thanks,
DW

Hello I ordered the Pachmayr 500B recoil pad from Amazon then I sent out the back part of the stock to a guy who only does stock work I forgot his name the pad is bigger and has to be cut down to size to fit the butt plate ,I had a M24 clone built and every time I looked at the first thing I noticed was the over sized H&S recoil pad and I didn't like the way it looked ,the only reason I am selling the M24 parts is I bought a real M24 stock with Remington recoil pad ,geoff3