• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Army M24 Build Thread

Here's one pic of an A3 from Joe Poyer's book on US Snipers post-1945 (attached).

FWIW, I read that only a few samples were evaluated as T&E items in the mid or late 200Xs, but unclear if any were actually procured.

The performance specifications of the then-new circa 2009 Mk 248 Mod 1 300 WinMag cartridge developed by the Navy was effective to 1500 yards (up from 1200 with the original Mk 248 Mod 0 ammo). Perhaps the Army decided around that time to just rebuild the M24s into the M2010 configuration (300 WinMag), as they presumably didn’t see enough performance difference to justify the additional recoil and cost of adopting a new platform to handle the 338 Lapua cartridge. At least that is the impression that I get, which is sort of reinforced in this article:

Attachments

• 8D1201AD-71C5-4076-9288-6E6ABCF8ECF4.jpeg
    8D1201AD-71C5-4076-9288-6E6ABCF8ECF4.jpeg
    488.5 KB · Views: 553
Last edited:
Here's one pic of an A3 from Joe Poyer's book on US Snipers post-1945 (attached).

FWIW, I read that only a few samples were evaluated as T&E items in the late 200Xs, but unclear if any were actually procured.

The performance specifications of the then-new circa 2009 Mk 248 Mod 1 300 WinMag cartridge developed by the Navy was effective to 1500 yards (up from 1200 with the original Mk 248 Mod 0 ammo). Perhaps the Army decided around that time to just rebuild the M24s into the XM2010 configuration (300 WinMag), as they presumably didn’t see enough performance difference to justify the additional recoil and cost of adopting a new platform to handle the 338 Lapua cartridge. At least that is the impression that I get, which is sort of reinforced in this article:

Thanks for posting that - some great information

As the 338 had an M24 designation I was under the impression that that was an "official" naming once it was in the system, not something from the Remington marketing department.
Mine already has that AICS stock so just need to source the 20MOA rail & Leupold scope. Not sure I want to shorten the barrel though!

FWIW, I read that only a few samples were evaluated as T&E items in the late 200Xs, but unclear if any were actually procured.

The performance specifications of the then-new circa 2009 Mk 248 Mod 1 300 WinMag cartridge developed by the Navy was effective to 1500 yards (up from 1200 with the original Mk 248 Mod 0 ammo). Perhaps the Army decided around that time to just rebuild the M24s into the XM2010 configuration (300 WinMag), as they presumably didn’t see enough performance difference to justify the additional recoil and cost of adopting a new platform to handle the 338 Lapua cartridge. At least that is the impression that I get, which is sort of reinforced in this article:

Great pic, sku 29172 for the m24a3 with aics and ops inc can

Thanks for posting that - some great information

As the 338 had an M24 designation I was under the impression that that was an "official" naming once it was in the system, not something from the Remington marketing department.
Mine already has that AICS stock so just need to source the 20MOA rail & Leupold scope. Not sure I want to shorten the barrel though!
You already have a 338 M24?

Yeah theres a fair number of reg 700 la's out there in 338 lapua. Did you put it in the aics chassis or did ot come that way, did you ever call Remington with the serial number and US markings only on first contract as far as I know

Yeah theres a fair number of reg 700 la's out there in 338 lapua. Did you put it in the aics chassis or did ot come that way, did you ever call Remington with the serial number and US markings only on first contract as far as I know
It was in the chassis when I bought it. Aside from the Proof House, it's unfired, as I was working out scope options for it.

Here's post from another thread by Michael Haugen (US Army and SF veteran) who developed the M24A2 and A3 variants when he joined Remington in late 2003/early 2004. He doesn't say if anyone purchased the A3 variant, but he did note that about 40 or 50 regular M24s were converted by Remington into the A2 configuration, which was done with a unit's discretionary deployment funds (which the US Army procurement officers apparently didn't like).

"
Yes I worked on the M24, M2010 and MSR/PSR programs. When I got to Remington in late 03 (a month before I retired), they did not have a military division or even a program despite being the manufacturer of the Army's primary sniper system.

With regards to the M24 itself, it was well established obviously by the time I got there but since I was very immersed in all things "sniper" I found it exceptionally interesting to see "behind the curtain" as to how it was made and some of the history behind it. One of the first programs I developed was the M24A2 program followed by the M24A3. The M24A2 was an enhanced M24 in which we would take a unit's M24 and rebarrel it with a barrel that was threaded, drop it into a different HS stock which provided an adjustable cheek rest and LOP, added a different optic mount that allowed the use of night vision (I deeloped the McCann rail while I was in, but didn't like the fixed wings so I had Badger make what became known as the MARs which we put on the A2 and A3). We also added a MKIV M3 variable power optic and provided an OPS INC. suppressor. This was early into the war and units were using their deployment funds to do the conversion which the Army didn't like but in the end, we did probably 40-50 of them.

The A3 was a 338LM version of the M24 and there were several models. One used a 26" barrel and was in a HS stock whereas another used a 19" barrel and was in a AICS. We discovered that the 19" barrel with the suppressor exhibited almost the same MV as the 26" w/o a suppressor and were able to hit targets reliably at 1400 meters (we demonstrated this at gunsight for the USMC who were interested in a larger caliber but ultimately didn't procure anything).

The M2010 project was a bit of a whirlwind of activity. By this point I was running all of the international MIL/LE sales however remained involved with the development and testing of the M2010 albeit not on a daily basis. Greg Baradat who I hired and brought to Remington was running the domestic MIL side and the M2010 was really his baby, but since we had served together overseas, he had worked for me in the Army in Lewis and I had brought him to Remington, he and I conferred quite a lot. As to things left off, the big one was the barrel. The Army specified they wanted a 26" barrel because they "believed" that 300WM needed the long barrel. We (Greg) proved to them that a 19" barrel with a suppressor would yield the same performance but they insisted they had to have the long barrel. I always felt bad for the soldiers who had to carry those things and have seen pictures of shorter guys carrying a rifle that was almost as long as they were tall."

...just an fyi post.

Last edited:
Here's post from another thread by Michael Haugen, who developed the M24A2 and A3 variants when he joined Remington in late 2003/early 2004. He doesn't say if anyone purchased the A3 variant, but he did note that about 40 or 50 of the A2s were made (which the US Army apparently didn't like).

"

...just an fyi post.
That's an excellent post. Thanks.

I received one more piece for my M24R kit this week, the proper 65-lb T-handle torque wrench. This one made by SEEKONK, and it came in a bag with the Cage code, Mfg/PN and the calibration sticker is dated June 2010,. Some sellers want too much for this item, but I found some for $65+$8 shipping ($73 total)

If any one needs one:
eBay item number:

Now, if I can only find a pre-2004 sunshade for my Leupold M3A Ultra scopes (dated 1989 & 1990). If anybody has a spare one for sale, please let me know. (either threaded on both ends or threaded on just one end, doesn't matter to me).

Attachments

• Seekonk wrench1.jpg
    Seekonk wrench1.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 187
Reactions: mjh30 and saddler
I received one more piece for my M24R kit this week, the proper 65-lb T-handle torque wrench. This one made by SEEKONK, and it came in a bag with the Cage code, Mfg/PN and the calibration sticker is dated June 2010,. Some sellers want too much for this item, but I found some for $65+$8 shipping ($73 total)

If any one needs one:
eBay item number:

Now, if I can only find a pre-2004 sunshade for my Leupold M3A Ultra scopes (dated 1989 & 1990). If anybody has a spare one for sale, please let me know. (either threaded on both ends or threaded on just one end, doesn't matter to me).

Spotted these on Ebay this week too - will be buying one if they still have stock - been a "spendy" few days
SWMBO best not find out. Keep having to NOT use the phrase "new sniper rifle" while on the phone to shooting mates who know I've made the purchase

Reactions: m1marty
Spotted these on Ebay this week too - will be buying one if they still have stock - been a "spendy" few days
SWMBO best not find out. Keep having to NOT use the phrase "new sniper rifle" while on the phone to shooting mates who know I've made the purchase
lol, used to have them kept at work for a while then bring them home

If any one needs one:
eBay item number:

This looks like a 3/8" drive?

Do you know which version it is from this chart?
Screenshot_20190811-005632_Samsung Internet.jpg

Hmm, I need to check what I bought. I recall that it ratchets when turning left, so it might not be quite correct after all, but it is right torque value so I suppose it will work from a functional perspective. (It has the Cage code, Mfg-Pin code and an NSN was listed, so it appears to be a military contract item). Apologizes if I mis-identified it on the forum.

Last edited:
I asked the seller on eBay this question as the one I got does rachet, but the item description notes this:

Action:Non-Ratcheting

...not a big deal as the goal is get the rings on at the proper torque level, but anyhow...

ON EDIT: Here's the NSN for the wrench for the M24 in the 1989 manual (1005-01-260-2645)

The NSN listed by the eBay seller is different, its 5220-01-260-2645

...which is indeed associated with a Remington Arms Company NSN that was established in July 1987, which would correspond with
the same time that the Leupold M3A Ultra scope and other M24 parts were authorized.
...and it is listed as unique to one weapon system, which we can assume is the M24.

...but my feeling is the lockup version would be better if one lost the 1/2 wrench and sought to remove the rings/optic.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjh30
I just checked the ones that came in the deployment kits on 2 of the M24 SWS "complete systems" and confirmed that they both rachet when turned left. It appears that was the version Remington was buying and supplying.

I also bought several of these from Uncle Sam's Retail a couple years ago before they lost their contract. Those all locked when turning left so you can use them to loosen as well as tighten. They did not have any packaging.

Based on Trigger Monkey's report, the ones I bought from Uncle Sam's retail, and what we see on the kits Remington sold and the auction in the link, it appears that both the lockup and rachet left types were in the government system.

Guess which type I carry in the tool bag?

Dave

Last edited:
31+ years, Seekonk probably made some product improvements in that ti.e, I do agree that the lockup type is best, but probably unobtanium at this time, except used.

What are you guys feeding your 24s?
I'm new to the rifle, and new to .308 altogether.

Any issues with commercial .308 (specifically Federal GMM .308) with regard to the whole .308 vs 7.62x51 headspace?

Handloaders, do you limit yourselves to the thicker 7.62 NATO brass?

Shouldn't be any headspace issues between .308/7.62 with the M24.
If you want to be authentic, it's possible to still find LC M118LR to shoot and reload.
Federal makes FGMM 7.62 SMK BTHP as well, which would be even better.

Reactions: Retro-Cow
Shouldn't be any headspace issues between .308/7.62 with the M24.
If you want to be authentic, it's possible to still find LC M118LR to shoot and reload.
Federal makes FGMM 7.62 SMK BTHP as well, which would be even better.

Awesome. I was unable to find Federal GM762M2 (which I understand is essentially Mk316 Mod 0) so I picked up a box of GM308M2.
So I should be able to fire, and reload the GM308M2 out of the M24 with no issues? Do we know if the GM762 and GM308 even use different brass?

Reactions: 56cbr600rr
Federal GM308 brass is polished, whereas GM762 brass is not highly polished. Military doesn’t require that step. That’s what I have read.

Reactions: Retro-Cow
Hi all..
can u tell me where can i buy a leather sling? Is it OK also a clone..if original is hard to find..
Thanks guys

Those MRT slings actually kind of suck. The frogs don't fit well into the round holes and they fall out easily. That's why you see the duct tape on the originals. The leather is pretty thin as well. Consider a better quality M1907 sling If you're not concerned about building an exact clone.

Reactions: SAS_Sniper
Those MRT slings actually kind of suck. The frogs don't fit well into the round holes and they fall out easily. That's why you see the duct tape on the originals. The leather is pretty thin as well. Consider a better quality M1907 sling If you're not concerned about building an exact clone.
Yep. The M24 marked sling stays in the deployment kit for display and I use either a Turner NM or a cut down 240 sling for actual use.

Reactions: SAS_Sniper
Some of my friends think I'm on a quest for the heaviest possible .22lr, but I love my 40X/M40A1 trainer so much I decided I needed a 40X/M24 trainer... here it is next to my M24SWS. I think it turned out pretty darn good.

View attachment 7155728
Man I want a 40x/24 model like that in the worst way. Been debating doing a 5.56 version for the wife. Too many irons in the fire right now.....

Reactions: deltawiskey
Hi all, it looks like I'm going to be taking the M24 in the direction of an A2 clone. I am slowly finding out though that the M24A2 is a unicorn when it comes to references of the rifles that made it into country.

I'm curious as to the story behind the retrofit as the three specific A2 references I've definitively seen are quite different. Those of you who have searched for instances of A2s in Iraq/Afghanistan have no doubt seen the video interview in Afghanistan of a sniper from 25th ID whose rifle sits in an HS Precision PST-026. As well as another example from 4th ID also in Afghanistan but with the PST-013. Both of those compared to the A2 in the "American Rifleman TV" video showcased by Michael Haugen himself shows the 013, but with a tactical bolt knob (Badger??).

I guess the short version of my question is: during the time when units were using deployment funds to acquire M24A2s, what was the progression of upgrades that Remington was doing for the rifles, specifically the ones that went to Army units; and is the variation we see a result of individuals/units, or things changing/improving at the factory? @tactinstr1SFG thoughts?

Stocks: 026? 013?

MARS Rails: 0 or 20 MOA?

Detachable Mag Bottom Metal: HS Precision? Badger?

Bolt Handle: Standard? Tactical?

Suppressor: Ops Inc 3rd Model? 12th Model?

Cheers!

The only real change I can see is the transition from hs bottom metal and mags to badger. As for stocks the 013 is more like the M24 than the 026, the 026 has a straighter handgrip, as for suppressors 3rd model, 12th model is 556 only. to be honest I dunno even know what the correct barrel length is.

The only real change I can see is the transition from hs bottom metal and mags to badger. As for stocks the 013 is more like the M24 than the 026, the 026 has a straighter handgrip, as for suppressors 3rd model, 12th model is 556 only. to be honest I dunno even know what the correct barrel length is.

I also wonder if the bottom metal change occurred after the Army guns were complete.
Also, OPS Inc definitely had a .30 cal 12th Model. It was 11" long compared to the 3rd Model's 12.5"

I also wonder if the bottom metal change occurred after the Army guns were complete.
Also, OPS Inc definitely had a .30 cal 12th Model. It was 11" long compared to the 3rd Model's 12.5"
Quite correct there is a 30 cal 12th model. I believe they used the 3rd model on the m24a2, the 3rd model doesnt use collar and brake.

Hi all, it looks like I'm going to be taking the M24 in the direction of an A2 clone. I am slowly finding out though that the M24A2 is a unicorn when it comes to references of the rifles that made it into country.

I'm curious as to the story behind the retrofit as the three specific A2 references I've definitively seen are quite different. Those of you who have searched for instances of A2s in Iraq/Afghanistan have no doubt seen the video interview in Afghanistan of a sniper from 25th ID whose rifle sits in an HS Precision PST-026. As well as another example from 4th ID also in Afghanistan but with the PST-013. Both of those compared to the A2 in the "American Rifleman TV" video showcased by Michael Haugen himself shows the 013, but with a tactical bolt knob (Badger??).

I guess the short version of my question is: during the time when units were using deployment funds to acquire M24A2s, what was the progression of upgrades that Remington was doing for the rifles, specifically the ones that went to Army units; and is the variation we see a result of individuals/units, or things changing/improving at the factory? @tactinstr1SFG thoughts?

Stocks: 026? 013?

MARS Rails: 0 or 20 MOA?

Detachable Mag Bottom Metal: HS Precision? Badger?

Bolt Handle: Standard? Tactical?

Suppressor: Ops Inc 3rd Model? 12th Model?

Cheers!
Retro (et al) - as mentioned here, I developed the M24A2 and M24A3 (along with a few others), I will try and answer everyone's questions as best I can, however, part of the issue reasons for the confusion related to these product centers around a variety of issues to include posted pictures online, a variety of unit/individual mods made to guns that were then mis-labeled in pictures, etc. Anyone with specific questions can pm me and I will try and answer when I can. Thank Random guy as he reached out to me about this thread.

A little background about the A2 (which I might have already posted, if so I apologize). I developed the A2 when I left the Army and went to Remington. The concept was to address many of the issues snipers had with the original M24 (which of course was a dated design). Specifically, I added an adjustable cheek piece, long top rail that supported the use of clip on night vision devices and lasers, a variable power optic (L&S MK 4 M3 3.5-10 with a BDC/M118LR dial), and a suppressor (OPS INC 3rd model). The concept was to offer the Army (and AF) the ability to upgrade their M24 as well as offer a new rifle for others (foreign mil/LE, and US LEA).

As the war progressed a number of US Army units did in fact use deployment money to upgrade their rifles. In most cases, they went for the complete upgrade, however I believe at least one unit did a partial upgrade, choosing to retain their original stocks and perhaps optics). In addition to these sales, several countries bought some of these rifles and are using them today (in fact I am currently in a country developing some training using the M24A2s they purchased). I hope this answers some questions about the M24A2, please pm me or post here if you have more questions (note I do not check here often but will be notified of a pm).

As per you questions

Stock - it was the 013
MARS - 0 degree was the norm, we did have some customers who wanted a 20 moa rail.
Detachable bottom metal - HS was originally used for this, however that didn't work out so we went to Badger (I actually looked at a number of providers, but Badger was the best).
Bolt handle - the protoypes (of which I still have #1) had Badger tactical bolt knobs, however we decided that most users did not want them and they were expensive, so in the end we stayed with the standard knob/handle
Suppressor - the original guns were done using the OPS 3rd model, however over time SOCOM was beginning to play with suppressors and began to really focus on "QD" cans. Also, there was the perceived need for a flash hider when the can was not on, so we eventually changed to the 12th model. After our parent company purchased AAC, we changed all of our suppressed guns over to AAC, specifically the 762SD (and some 762SDN6).

As for the M24A3, this was the project I did after the A2. It was developed because USSOF was really beginning to look at 338LM seriously. There is a lot to be told here but given I am on a pretty crappy internet connection I am not going into it right now, suffice to say that originally there were 2 models; the M24A3-HS and the M24A3-AI. The HS gun had a 26" barrel and used a HS Precision stock along with Badger floor metal, 20 MOA MARS, L&S 8.5-25x50mm MK4 M1, OPS 12th model. The AI gun used the AICS 2.0 and had a 19" barrel. Both guns performed well but the 19" gun with the can really worked well and we had no interest in the HS gun so we dropped it. When we developed the MSR, we felt that that the A3 was confusing to the customers and we wanted to promote the MSR, so we dropped the A3.

Hope this is helpful to someone out there.

Re barrel threading:

"The parent company of Remington owns AAC and I'm sure that's threaded for the Titan like the M2010 is. Speaking to someone at Remington a couple years ago, he mentioned threading barrels to the AAC Titan but didn't illude to any future offering."

Here's what the article states, which is a little confusing:

'The A2 variant of the M24 also comes with the barrel threaded for a suppressor, specifically an OPS Inc. model that isn't available anymore. Instead, you can opt for the AAC 7.62-SD available in the complete M24A2 kit"

Here's the link to that model: https://www.advanced-armament.com/762-SD_p_649.html

...that’s all I know.

A2 is threaded 5/8-24 with a AAC flash hider installed.