• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Army M24 Build Thread

Why was the Redfield Palma rear sight spec'd for the M24? .308 155gr bullets were originally required in Palma matches. But now they allow 7.62 and 5.56. Did Redfield just choose that name for the sight, or was it designed specifically for Palma competition?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200110-011022_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200110-011022_Samsung Internet.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 20200110_010509.jpg
    20200110_010509.jpg
    374.5 KB · Views: 77
When I got mine, I looked some history up, introduced in 1979 to replace the older Olympic (1950's) and International (1960's). 1/4 moa depending on sight radius ( lenght of barrel). As for the name, no idea but I suppose as Palma shooters are iron sight guys it made sense. If I remember correctly from tge old thread, there was 3 models, mine has allen screws. Nice sights not that I uses them lol.

I have an ASAK related question? I picked up a box when I was still in, back in the day. I used the bipod for my M24R and have been using the Eagle drag bag as a regular use gun case for my various long range rifles. Should I start being nicer to that gun case? The rest of the bits might still be in the box.

I have a flash hider, still new( but opened) in the bag. They change the point of impact so they kinda suck to use. We had a five gallon bucket of them at one time that no one wanted, sadly I didn't want them either back then.

The Allen gun case was just a 48" gun case, not particularly interesting.

Allen cases are fairly cheap, the Eagle HSRC are not made anymore. If you are a collector, you might want to look after the Eagle

Can anyone provide details on what drag bag or tri-fold shooter mat was included in the M24 deployment kit? Our scout platoon's sniper element was equipped with an M24 during our time operating in Iraq, but I don't recall the make/brand/type of drag bag/tri-fold shooting mat (if any) that came with it. Thanks.

I don't want to say it's impossible but it won't be easy or fast to track one down. If you find one, expect to shell out several hundred dollars depending on the condition.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjh30
How difficult is it to track down an HSRC? I'm assuming they're becoming more rare. How much can I expect to pay if found? Thanks.

If you don't care about the color. Eagle has new ones in tan that where made for the M110. With MIL/LE discount.

Last edited:
Just a picture of the issued early EMA laser filter nsn 1240-01-380-6326 compared to the later filter built for M110, both fit on the M3a scope, the ard used on the early filter is the same one used on the S&B 3-12x50

20200202_124549.jpg

Reactions: LUNCHBOX0621
I want to add the Badger M24 M5 DBM to my M24. I realize this won't make it "correct" in terms of how our scout platoon rifles were configured back in '05 - '06. I'm assuming this conversion became more common during the latter years of the GWOT?

Was this version issued with the SWS also?
As far as I know these were for the M110 and not issued with the M24 sws. The plastic ones barely fit the ultra, they stopped making the plastic filters and made them from metal which actually fit on the Ultra without much slop. Early ema are from the nineties, when was that plastic filter made 2005.
Picture of the later metal filter woth same nsn

20200208_122714.jpg

Plastic ard, metal filter and original
Decilog ema from 94

20200208_124244.jpg

Reactions: sandwarrior
I want to add the Badger M24 M5 DBM to my M24. I realize this won't make it "correct" in terms of how our scout platoon rifles were configured back in '05 - '06. I'm assuming this conversion became more common during the latter years of the GWOT?

Badger bottom metal came on the a2 different stock, ops inc suppressor, detachable bottom metal for mags. After they realised the hs precision bottom metal wasnt cutting the mustard, Badger made them, great dbm drop in fit, works great

Reactions: Blackfoot 7
As far as I know these were for the M110 and not issued with the M24 sws. The plastic ones barely fit the ultra, they stopped making the plastic filters and made them from metal which actually fit on the Ultra without much slop. Early ema are from the nineties, when was that plastic filter made 2005.
Picture of the later metal filter woth same nsn

View attachment 7244734

Plastic ard, metal filter and original
Decilog ema from 94

View attachment 7244735
My Tenebraex ARD has a plastic main tube with an aluminum threaded mounting insert. Hard to tell because it only weighs 24 grams total.

My Tenebraex ARD has a plastic main tube with an aluminum threaded mounting insert. Hard to tell because it only weighs 24 grams total.

With regards the tenebraex ard, they are basically all thr same but the writing on the side is placed a little different. This is mine, writing is placed a little different than yours

20200209_081949.jpg

This picture is of the latest manufacture

Screenshot_20200209-082400_Google.jpg

I have the same EMA/ARD as L&L in my kit and it’s a perfect fit on my MK4 M3 without slop. I can get pictures up later if anyone is interested.

So this laser filter unit was made by L3 communications for the m110 and the nsn is from 2006.

Screenshot_20200209-112414_Chrome.jpg

The later metal one was made by tenebraex for the m110 and the nsn is also from 2006.

20200208_122714.jpg

The original ema was made by the US Army ARDEC and then by Decilog, the nsn 1240-01-380-6326 is from 93.

20200209_084111.jpg

The 40ltc-ard made by Tenebraex nsn 6650-01-537-6906 is from 2006 as well.

20200209_081952.jpg

Looks like the 24 is alive and well as of 2019 within USASOC. Here’s one sporting an M110 Leupold. View attachment 7252673View attachment 7252674

Looks like some sort of challenge/comp event. When I was in a unit on the east coast we would participate in a unit run event every quarter. One squadron would plan the event and you didn't know what to expect going into it. You just showed up the day of and you were put on a team made up of guys from other Troops. We'd usually finish off with a grill, brew and some sort of informal recognition for unit members. It wasn't uncommon for us to dust off some old kit and use it to support the event since shooting was often involved in a lot of these unit cohesion type activities. Since these guys are on the same gun it could be something along those lines. All speculation of course.

Posted: Yesterday 5:01:18 PM MST
Does anyone know what sling Ranger Nick Irving is running on this M24? Looks like it's made from parachute static line/1" nylon cord. Looks like it might be an older VTAC, but I can't confirm. I'm pretty sure I ran one like this on my Block II SOPMOD around 09-12 timeframe. Wish I had paid attention to details like that back then.

Flickr_-_The_U.S._Army_-_World%27s_premier_snipers_converge_on_Fort_Benning.jpg

That looks like something you could make yourself, and it very well good be, out of some tubular nylon webbing, a couple try glides, and a slider with a tire inner tube over the ends. I should make repros.

From Michael Haugen, inventor of the MIRS and MARS rails (very abbreviated history)

Later in 2003 the US Special Operations Command (USASOC) conducted a "sniper symposium" at Ft Campbell/5th SFG as a part of their INOD (Improved Night Observation Device) program which had been underway for some time. This program was designed to develop and procure a day/night sight replacement for the M24, however they were unsuccessful and with the war on, they decided to try and find a night system that could be used....

....At this point USASOC awarded to OSTI, L&S and McCann to purchase around 600 units to push down to the SF teams and Ranger Regiment. McCann got a $500K contract and began production (of the MRS aka MIRS rail)....In January of 04 I retired and went to Remington, about this time the Ranger Regiment let a contract to Crane for the MK13. In this contract the MRS was called out as the mount to use. However, by this time I had already been in contact with several manufacturers to include Badger Ordnance and designed the MARS (Modular Accessory Rail System) which we (Remington ended up putting a patent on).

Two or three things I might note. One, Crane makes the sniper rifles for SOCOM, which includes Navy NSW/SEALs, Ranger Regiment, SF Groups, etc. Two, Nick Irving was in the Ranger Regiment. Three, its at least possible the MIRS rail in the above pic on an M24 was one of the 600 units that Crane acquired in 2004ish. (I don't think they had that many M700/300 WinMags at the time, maybe 300 or a little more? - not sure).

In fact, I have seen pictures of M24s with the MIRS/MRS rail being used by SOCOM guys and possibly Rangers like Nick Irving, I think in Iraq. (see below pic with 2 M24s equipped with McCann rails, along with a Mk 13 Mod 0 in the middle)

Hence I don't think the early McCann (MIRS) rails were unit purchases, but rather a Crane purchase for SOCOM sniper rifles, mainly the new Mk 13 Mod 0/1s, but possibly M24s as well. (I have no other knowledge other that what I just wrote, so its just my opinion).

Mk_13_Mod_0_training.png

Last edited:
From Michael Haugen, inventor of the MIRS and MARS rails (very abbreviated history)

Two or three things I might note. One, Crane makes the sniper rifles for SOCOM, which includes Navy NSW/SEALs and Ranger Regiment, etc. Two, Nick Irving was in the Ranger Regiment. Three, its at least possible the MIRS rail in the above pic on an M24 was one of the 600 units that Crane acquired in 2004ish. (I don't think they had that many Mk 300s at the time, maybe 300 or a little more? - not sure).

In fact, I have seen pictures of M24s with the MIRS/MRS rail being used by SOCOM guys and possibly Rangers like Nick Irving, I think in Iraq. (see below pic with 2 M24s equipped with McCann rails, along with a Mk 13 Mod 0 in the middle)

Hence I don't think McCann rails were unit purchases, but rather a Crane purchase for SOCOM sniper rifles, mainly the new Mk 13 Mod 0/1s, but possibly M24s as well. (I have no other knowledge that I just wrote, so its just my opinion).

View attachment 7256410
Good info. In the early days of the GWOT a lot kit was purchased COTS or procured via contract to satisfy certain mission requirements. Money was good. Things were moving quickly into theater. I've also seen MIRS on the M24 SWS. At the time I was still in a regular Army scout platoon before getting assigned to a unit where we had the MK11 SASS.

Reactions: LUNCHBOX0621